Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42

Thread: How should i get started?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    72

    Default How should i get started?

    If I want to start getting into TCG, as I always have, what should I start with?
    Should I just go out and buy whatever pack or set I like?
    Just would like some basic input from you avid TCG players!
    And consider this my introduction to you guys into the Pokemon TCG world!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Buying booster packs is an extremely expensive way to get cards!! I do not recommend buying them, especially at retail prices!

    You can build a great and cheap deck from eBay and spend 75% less than buying boosters at Wal-Mart.

    Unless you just enjoy the feeling of opening a pack and hoping for something good, then you spent $5 on worthless.

    I'm more of a facts and logic person and I don't like throwing my money away.
    ~~ Thank you epicjirachifan! ~~

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Some mountain in kanto
    Posts
    1,185

    Default

    Buying booster packs is an extremely expensive way to get cards!! I do not recommend buying them, especially at retail prices!

    You can build a great and cheap deck from eBay and spend 75% less than buying boosters at Wal-Mart.load of bull, I built rayeels based off of tins and boosters for only 100$, e-bay does it for 150, and troll n toad 170, so load of bull

    Unless you just enjoy the feeling of opening a pack and hoping for something good, then you spent $5 on worthless.

    I'm more of a facts and logic person and I don't like throwing my money away.

    If you plan on being a pure collector buying off of e-bay/toad n troll this stated above me is a good idea, if you plan on playing the game for tournament play (or whatever I do at the league) whats stated above me is a terrible idea. I buy booster pack sets with lots of deck mechanics such as trainers, supporters, and stadiums and buy for the most part alot of my Ex's or rare pokemon cards online because it's cheaper then buying it in the booster,
    The Pokemon tcg info thread//for NEW PLAYER'S!!!
    I claimed magnemite, mawaru penguindrum, and more(eventually).

  4. #4

    Default

    so buy boosters for the masses.. then buy specific pokemon online.


    what are boosters and what are tins or boxes?

    i get confused with the lingo.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    209

    Default

    tins come with four packs and an EX card (usually playable like Darkrai/Mewtwo/Keldeo/Rayquaza/Black Kyurem
    (Great for main EX cards)

    Boxes come with 36 packs online for about $100 (great for collecting after you have your deck, to get nice full art cards and sell those.
    When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    kanto
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Buy a starter deck, Buy some Mewtwo ex tins and build off of that Cheap and comes with playmat, rules, counters, flipper coins and buy booster boxes and cards on ebay

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Wherever my rump rests.
    Posts
    34

    Default

    If you can, try to find a place where you can play, like a card shop or something like that, buy a starter deck and just grab packs from there when you have a few bucks to spare to edit the deck from there. Having people to play with always makes the game better and a lot more fun.

  8. #8

    Default

    trust me.. i have been looking for a card shop or location where i can play for a while..

    Oswego Illinois

    Naperville Illinois


    If anyone can find a place for me.. please and thank you.

    This issue is why I'm slowly not wanting to buy more packs.. i cant find anyone or anyplace that does these card games.




    I bought a Keldeo Tin after I bought some packs and pulled a Blastoise with the Deluge ability.. then so I also bought the boundaries crossed with Black Kyurem so I can get another Blastoise, water energies, and his pre-evos.


    So I guess that's where I'm headed deck-wise.. but I won't be buying more parts and things on troll and toad until i do find a place to play, organize, or just chat about it.


    thanks for the help and info..



    I did think about buying the Mewtwo tin or the Darkrai tin.. but that seemed like more of a hassle to make than the Keldeo one. [although i love Darkrai]


    And its funny.. the tins are actually a good deal. I'm surprised people even bother buying individual packs for 4$ when you can get 4 packs and a EX card for $15-$20

    So I guess that will be my next move if i continue, buy another Keldeo tin. Apparently I need more than 1 in order to make a solid deck.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Wherever my rump rests.
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RNG_Reporter View Post
    trust me.. i have been looking for a card shop or location where i can play for a while..

    Oswego Illinois

    Naperville Illinois


    If anyone can find a place for me.. please and thank you.

    This issue is why I'm slowly not wanting to buy more packs.. i cant find anyone or anyplace that does these card games.




    I bought a Keldeo Tin after I bought some packs and pulled a Blastoise with the Deluge ability.. then so I also bought the boundaries crossed with Black Kyurem so I can get another Blastoise, water energies, and his pre-evos.


    So I guess that's where I'm headed deck-wise.. but I won't be buying more parts and things on troll and toad until i do find a place to play, organize, or just chat about it.


    thanks for the help and info..



    I did think about buying the Mewtwo tin or the Darkrai tin.. but that seemed like more of a hassle to make than the Keldeo one. [although i love Darkrai]


    And its funny.. the tins are actually a good deal. I'm surprised people even bother buying individual packs for 4$ when you can get 4 packs and a EX card for $15-$20

    So I guess that will be my next move if i continue, buy another Keldeo tin. Apparently I need more than 1 in order to make a solid deck.
    I honestly found mine by not looking for places that specifically play Pokemon. I play Yugioh and Naruto TCG's as well, and sometimes the places that have those types of players may have gatherings for Pokemon TCG play as well. If not, maybe there's interest that you could bring up to the store manager and get something started.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Shabboneau Castle
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Actually, theres a searcher on www.pokemon.com that shows you where they are.
    Together we ride!
    "You can make anything you want go your way in life. You just have to know how to work the RNG."

  11. #11

    Default

    thanks a lot. man.. i actually see a lot "near" me. i dont mind driving 17 miles

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Some mountain in kanto
    Posts
    1,185

    Default

    You live in Illinois? That place has one of largest pokemon on tcg community's in the states/world. Do you live close to chicago in driving distance? There are some great leagues in that city if you have the chance even further out theres a few good ones. Tins sell 1-2 promo card(s) and 4 booster packs, booster pack is 10-11 randomized cards in a pack, sometimes you win, mostly you fail.

    Darkrai decks are cheaper to build then keldeo, but keldeo is more recommended for newer players because half of the darkrai engine might probably be out of rotation come sept 9th. Mewtwo is cheap as well, just buy 3 tins and a bunch of plasma storm for virbank and htl so you can ohko mewtwos and win mewtwo wars, rayeels might be dead after rotation or just switch over to emboar builds instead.
    The Pokemon tcg info thread//for NEW PLAYER'S!!!
    I claimed magnemite, mawaru penguindrum, and more(eventually).

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ven? View Post
    You live in Illinois? That place has one of largest pokemon on tcg community's in the states/world. Do you live close to chicago in driving distance? There are some great leagues in that city if you have the chance even further out theres a few good ones. Tins sell 1-2 promo card(s) and 4 booster packs, booster pack is 10-11 randomized cards in a pack, sometimes you win, mostly you fail.

    Darkrai decks are cheaper to build then keldeo, but keldeo is more recommended for newer players because half of the darkrai engine might probably be out of rotation come sept 9th. Mewtwo is cheap as well, just buy 3 tins and a bunch of plasma storm for virbank and htl so you can ohko mewtwos and win mewtwo wars, rayeels might be dead after rotation or just switch over to emboar builds instead.
    Mmmmmmm....Keldeo and Darkrai prices are pretty close now with tins. And considering the fact that rotation is pretty likely to keep blastoise keldeo in, I think its a better call. Qwaa


    Created by PPL Qwaa

  14. #14

    Default

    Mewtwo decks huh... That sounds sweet. And I can definitely afford 3 tins and some packs. But I like... Just bought a keldeo tin, black kyurem boundaries crossed theme deck(with blastoise) and also pulled my own blastoise.

    So feel like I'm at a crossroads..or would be wasting the cards I already do have. For the chance at a mewtwo deck. Which does sound epic..and I did pull that garbage pokemon with the annoying ability.

    ------------

    yeah, buying mewtwo tins would probably be a bad idea. Keldeo/Blastoise will definitely be around for a while, especially with the new cards coming out in May that benefit it a bit more than the other type of groups. Darkrai will definitely drop, Mewtwo wont be super effective later on.. and other types will die out, like Rayquaza/eels.
    Last edited by RNG_Reporter; 12th March 2013 at 12:03 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Some mountain in kanto
    Posts
    1,185

    Default

    Well I assume dark explorers will be like the bottom of the latter for next rotation and that is pretty much the whole darkrai engine, I'd just say keldeo is more expensive because of blastoise and the fact that alot of people are wanting to put in 200 dmg black kyurem (card is so annoying).
    The Pokemon tcg info thread//for NEW PLAYER'S!!!
    I claimed magnemite, mawaru penguindrum, and more(eventually).

  16. #16

    Default

    I would go for mewtwo tins and just buy one booster box from some good set and trade for the stuff you want at your new league. People love new players with trades they haven't gotten yet. That's my advice

  17. #17

    Default

    You should do whatever you want. I would suggest buying mewtwo tins and a booster box then trade at your new league for what you want. That's my advice

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Some mountain in kanto
    Posts
    1,185

    Default

    You should do whatever you want. I would suggest buying mewtwo tins and a booster box then trade at your new league for what you want. That's my advice
    My advice is thats stupid, nobodys going to want you're mewtwos they can just go out and buy themselves and a box doesn't guarantee X amount of EX's.
    The Pokemon tcg info thread//for NEW PLAYER'S!!!
    I claimed magnemite, mawaru penguindrum, and more(eventually).

  19. #19

    Default

    I diddn't mean trade the mewtwos....

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    The Island
    Posts
    2,747

    Default

    I started to get back in the game when my brother got me a Furious Knights Deck. It was perfect considering now I run RayEels in tournaments. Personally I'd say if you want to play competitively start by getting 2/3 Keldeo tins and 3 Black Kyurem Boundaries Crossed decks. That would be a good way to get a very rough Blastdeo Deck going on. After that, trade/buy singles to get what you need.
    .
    Quote Originally Posted by The Requiem
    Cross Country ftw.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Kanto
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquadon View Post
    Personally I'd say if you want to play competitively start by getting 2/3 Keldeo tins and 3 Black Kyurem Boundaries Crossed decks. That would be a good way to get a very rough Blastdeo Deck going on. After that, trade/buy singles to get what you need.
    Would you say the Blastdeo deck would be a good tournament deck to try start off with ? I'm just getting back into the game myself and I'm struggling to know where to start. I'm picking up a theme deck or two just for the energys and a few boosters or tins depending on funds.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Some mountain in kanto
    Posts
    1,185

    Default

    Now making keldeo/blastoise's base price is 52$ (minus the catchers, rare candy, skyla (>.> I'll trade those), and ace spec.).
    The Pokemon tcg info thread//for NEW PLAYER'S!!!
    I claimed magnemite, mawaru penguindrum, and more(eventually).

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Kanto
    Posts
    57

    Default

    $52 doesn't sound too bad, I'm just trying to figure out a good deck to start with. The fact Blastoise is in it I think is whats drawing me too it ha. Thanks for offering to trade !! When I build up my collection a bit I'll if we can figure out a trade or two

  24. #24

    Default

    I built that deck. I do recommend buying that theme deck with kyurem and blastoise in it. Good cards in there for you.

    But I also got lucky and pulled a Blastoise earlier.

    From there. Start buying your cards individually on eBay (most trainers are in packs of 4). And so on.

    It's one of the only decks atm that will last after the rotation. So yeah. Just stay away from eels and darkrai. Waste of money

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Kanto
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I'll be able to pick the that deck up tomorrow I know for sure my shop has the tin. I see myself blowing my budget very quickly tomorrow has. How often do rotations tend to happen? Don't want to rush out buy a load of cards and they are no use to me in a month or two.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •