Thread: Ideas for promoting fan-fics

Default Ideas for promoting fan-fics

I want to know what ways there are of promoting fan-fics. I'm writing a fan-fic (link in signature) and have a prologue and three chapters posted, I have not gotten one piece of feedback. What ideas do y'all have for promoting your pieces?

I'm not on much anymore...

I don't have much popularity on serebii as I do fanfiction, bt I guess making your link a userbar a=or reviewing other fics would work
    FC: 1332-8918-6873
    Credit: AstralShadow (userbar) & Kida-Ookami (badge) & SwornMetalhead (symbol)

A common question for new, aspiring writers, but it's one that some of us tend to forget about as well (because while it sounds simple enough, it's so simple that it slips our minds).

One of my favorite methods for advertising is having a banner in my signature, one that pops out and attracts a person's eye (while it stays in the boundaries of the signature rules). But while that's effective, it really helps to go around reviewing other people's stories (well thought-out reviews, of course), and to also post around on the site to attract a wider an audience as possible. You're obviously very new, so no one knows your name here to want to check out your story. So you must prove to us that you're worth looking into by just being courteous on the site, and doing the above-mentioned (and by "above-mentioned" I mean reviewing stories).

Also, you're updating too quickly. Give it time and let it sink in first. Try for a weekly update, or a few days if you're that impatient, which is something you'll have to learn to get over if that's the case. Far as I know, no one on the site became famous/well-known here in one night. Everyone had to start out like what you're going through, though some have had it better than others because of timing. It's hard to predict activity here at times, so for the most part, you just have to keep on swimming until you gather a right amount of attention. (And even then, you shouldn't start slacking off, you could lose that momentum to keep going.)

Hope that helps until someone else comes along and gives a better lecture on this.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Not posting a prologue and three chapters with only a few hours in between would help. When there are lots of chapters being posted very fast, it's discouraging to readers because they feel like they won't be able to catch up. Slow down and leave some space for people to read and react before you post the next chapter.

Chapter 64: Hide and Seek
    The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    (completed, plus silly extras)
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Lengthy fanfiction reviewing guide / A more condensed version
    Read and I will be very happy for a large number of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfree View Post
    Not posting a prologue and three chapters with only a few hours in between would help. When there are lots of chapters being posted very fast, it's discouraging to readers because they feel like they won't be able to catch up. Slow down and leave some space for people to read and react before you post the next chapter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    A common question for new, aspiring writers, but it's one that some of us tend to forget about as well (because while it sounds simple enough, it's so simple that it slips our minds).

One of my favorite methods for advertising is having a banner in my signature, one that pops out and attracts a person's eye (while it stays in the boundaries of the signature rules). But while that's effective, it really helps to go around reviewing other people's stories (well thought-out reviews, of course), and to also post around on the site to attract a wider an audience as possible. You're obviously very new, so no one knows your name here to want to check out your story. So you must prove to us that you're worth looking into by just being courteous on the site, and doing the above-mentioned (and by "above-mentioned" I mean reviewing stories).

Also, you're updating too quickly. Give it time and let it sink in first. Try for a weekly update, or a few days if you're that impatient, which is something you'll have to learn to get over if that's the case. Far as I know, no one on the site became famous/well-known here in one night. Everyone had to start out like what you're going through, though some have had it better than others because of timing. It's hard to predict activity here at times, so for the most part, you just have to keep on swimming until you gather a right amount of attention. (And even then, you shouldn't start slacking off, you could lose that momentum to keep going.)

Hope that helps until someone else comes along and gives a better lecture on this.
    I had those finished before I started the thread. Okay, now I know - big mistake. Whoops, let's fix that.

I'm not on much anymore...

Try getting a cool banner and linking it to your fic.

Edit: People above me said it much better.
    I can smell u

As others have said have a good banner in your signature helps, there are quite a few art shops in the Artist forum that would be more than willing to fulfill your request if you need one. Also, Review Exchanges are a popular method, basically swapping reviews with another writer in exchange for one as well. Make sure your review is good, I run into very fluff-like reviews that do little more than list things or are play-by-plays of the chapter than criticism. As others have said, you're fairly new. It's unrealistic to expect to become a hit right off the bat, just give it a little time. Kutie Pie pretty much summed up everything well.

True true. A banner really helps. you can always shop for one at this site via fan Art Shops. I did that kind back then. The banner I have may not have been so appealing like the other one who posted here since they're merely symbols and letters. But it still gets the job done.
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

I guess I can give my two cents: why not give a summery of your story in your signature?

There's lots of ways that you can promote your fic.
    * Make graphics for it.
    * Talking about it.
    * Being more active in the community.
    *Taking part in review exchanges/games
    * Keeping a PM List
    *Crossposting stories to other sites

☆ Maya Fey: Ace Pokemon Trainer
    Carry On, BlisseyThe Other King☆
    Advancers Tumblr
    Banner by Sworn Metalhead at Dćdric Design ✠

Well, for starters, you just began. A lot of readers will be hesitant to start on a story that has only recently surfaced especially when it's billed as a multichaptered fic. Many of us have seen longer stories abandoned too many times for us to just jump right into another that we can't be sure will continue on for any length of time in the future. It takes a while to build up a readership, so just give it time.

It was said best earlier, the best way to go about this is to be an active member in the community. Let people see that you're hanging around, taking interest in other fics, and they'll be more inclined to look at yours. If you want a place to start, check out the Review Game that I started a while back. That will allow you a way into the reviewing community and also get you a review on your work. Just be realistic about things, don't expect to be a wild success overnight. It's going to take some time for you to build up momentum.
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path

Quote Originally Posted by Feralninja View Post
    Well, for starters, you just began. A lot of readers will be hesitant to start on a story that has only recently surfaced especially when it's billed as a multichaptered fic. Many of us have seen longer stories abandoned too many times for us to just jump right into another that we can't be sure will continue on for any length of time in the future.
    Aw, yes, this. So many stories dropped for the sake of making another one or an author publishing another story when they rarely update their current one and one(or both) of the stories fall into oblivion.

Investing yourself in other people's stories is also key, as others have said. One of the problems with people is they have a "give me give me" attitude when it comes to stories. Yes, we all would like review and critic. It's natural, but at the same time I feel as though too many members don't read stories on their own or without an incentive. If we all were a less bit selfless this place would be better imo. In fact I tend to have the ability to save webpages on my 3DS, thus this enables me to read stories at school in my free time and I've caught up to so many stories using this method. Half the time when I approach the author I'm pleasantly surprised when I say I read their story and they think I'm asking for a review exchange. Also, contribute to the community like others say, get yourself known and readers will come.