Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The animé's reasoning for why inherently evil Pokémon can't exist?

Default The animé's reasoning for why inherently evil Pokémon can't exist?

Well, seeing how I unintentionally killed the last thread and that I'm still not sure of why the writers seem to change their minds on whether or not evil Pokémon can exist and why they seem so opposed to it in the first place, I thought I'd make this.

I find it odd how one moment the animé says "Pokémon? Evil? Pfft, you crazy, they don't exist! They CANNOT exist!" and then the next an episode shows up with evidence contradicting this statement. And again, why would the writers be so opposed to the idea? I don't think it's because "there are no evil animals" - the majority of Pokémon have been clearly shown to have pretty much human (not animal) minds, as well as a concept of morality.

So why do you think it is still so opposed to this prospect, especially when we keep getting evil and sinister looking Pokémon each Gen?

(Truth be told I'm worried this is going to sink before it sets sail)
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Yuyama: "Yes, I thought it'd be better if it was a different Mewtwo."
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

The reasoning is that the writers sugarcoat everything Barney style so little kiddies gets one and only one message from the show.

BUY THE MERCH.

Having more to think about might reduce merch sales ao the safest path is to just stick with doing everything possible to sell toys. Screw quality writong.

What about Pokemon who exist along side villains? Aren't they evil to?
    岩根雅明=♡

^ This is about Pokémon who are evil entirely of their own accord. The ones you refer to are only evil because they have masters who are evil.
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

How are the writers opposed to this idea when you said yourself that we keep getting more and more of them each gen. If anything, they've become more open to the prospect of Pokémon being ... well, deceitful, like Litwick that appeared in Best Wishes. And yeah, marketing.

....and now, her story begins.

^ The games make more Pokémon who look evil, the animé often makes them as not evil, just misunderstood.

I still cringe for Darkrai. The anime sugarcoated the poor thing and then Pokémon Platinum just ran with it.
    3DS Friend Code: 3582-9622-5627

"Oh, and here is my grandson. …Erm, what was his name now?"

I do think it's because there are no evil animals. XD I mean even those Litwick...I don't think I'd call them evil per se.

But I've never had an interest in evil Pokemon anyway, just because there'd always be the question of "why?"
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

They do exist. We've seen them.

In-universe (in the Pokemon World) the characters do acknowledge the dangers of those evil/aggressive Pokemon. Besides this not being that kind of anime we might not see it much because Ash and friends purposely steer clear of trouble areas except when the plot calls for it. We've seen everything from warning signs to people physically trying to block Trainers from traveling through areas where Pokemon are likely to attack them for no good reason.

The idea that Pokemon are sweet and innocent seems to be a matter of personal belief in the Pokemon World. Whenever the idea of a Pokemon actually being " evil " is brought up it seems that our protagonists are quick to deconstruct it and the adults are quicker to believe it. That's probably because the latter know and have seen truly evil Pokemon and want to protect the children/innocents.

Even among Pokemon it seems to be a matter of personal belief. Waaaay back in Kanto when the idea was first proposed Meowth outright cried out that it wasn't true. Since then he's proven that he's morally gray at best, and outright evil at his absolute worse. He wasn't spurred that way because of anything a human have done to him. It was other Pokemon that encouraged him to steal and ultimately become a criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by Spin Attaxx View Post
    ^ The games make more Pokémon who look evil, the animé often makes them as not evil, just misunderstood.
    Somehow I doubt we could see some of the things Pokemon are said to in the games in the show. Yanmega's Pokedex entry:

It prefers to battle by biting apart foes' heads instantly while flying by at high speed.

Would certainly make people take Team Rocket a lot more seriously...
    Defeated Super Single Subway Master Ingo - August 19th, 2013

Searching for: Litwick - Near Perfect IVs, Manetric (Shiny) - Good IVs, Switcheroo
    Can offer high IV'd Bagons, Digletts, and Darumakas, as well as DWs, Pokerus, and more, PM me if interesting in negotiating.

I think the reason is quite simple really. The Pokemon world is intended to visualize what life would be like if more living beings strived for peace and good morality. Its a world where life, though certainly not perfect, is in many ways better than our own. Its part of the very engine of their society to form natural and pure bonds with Pokemon, and to do that it makes sense for Pokemon to start off naturally "good". From that perspective, its got nothing to do with just kid-friendliness. I don't have any problem with Pokemon being initially good, and its kind of concerning that the boundaries are stretched occasionally, or when they fail to show the reasoning when a Pokemon does bad against their nature. (Litwick, Scrafty, etc).
    I am the current leader of Save Our Voice Actors, a Pokemon fan group supporting the voice actors in the anime dubbed by 4Kids (seasons 1-8). Our goal is to provide The Pokemon Company international with encouraging feedback in support of returning the main cast members. If you're interested, please visit us at facebook.com/saveourvoiceactors

Pokemon is supposed to be for kids. (although most of us would disagree) and as such they can't have any pokemon that actually tries to kill anyone. Pokemon is trying to show a world where life is better and more creatures actually have a high level of intelligence. Although in real life evil will always be there, pokemon is trying to show a better world. there are some pokemon who do things that could be classed as bad (dusknoir, litwick and so on), but no pokemon will ever be shown killing or doing anything 'evil'. (even though some pokemon would hunt to survive) evil pokemon will just not be shown.
    The Doctor: 'People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually*
    from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.'
    In other words: Time is Complicated.
    Credit to epicjirachifan, Chapter of Charizard FairyWitch and Astaral Shadow of the Under

Evil =/= murder. Villains can do evil things without taking a life.

Also, that "because it's for kids" excuse isn't very good considering how there are some other shows that are also for kids, and they still do VERY dark things.

Pokemon seem intelligent because it's a kid's show. Kids shows often show animals/animal-like creatures with human or near human intelligence. There's nothing wrong with that; as long as it's entertaining it's fine.

Even among Pokemon it seems to be a matter of personal belief. Waaaay back in Kanto when the idea was first proposed Meowth outright cried out that it wasn't true.
    The Island of Giant Pokemon, I believe.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

If we look into the games/manga interpretation of the pokemon world, we do get pokemon that are very estructive and "evil":

Gyarados: Burns down cities in rage.

Victrebell: It lives in jungles, and many who encounter them do not live to tell the tale...

Lost my Platinum, so that's not good. On the other hand, I have heartgold and my FC is:

Jimmy

5070 6163 8015

The only real Pokemon that is truly self aware of good/evil is mewtwo or legendaries others are just evil cause of there masters/trainers.
    Favorite Pokemon
    With Everstone
    [HeartGold] Most people may not notice, but a closer look should reveal that there are many GEODUDE around.
    FC Code : 3182-5656-5113

Because Ekans said so over a decade ago :P

Quote Originally Posted by marioluigifan05 View Post
    Because Ekans said so over a decade ago :P
    I remeber this lol. ekans says pokemon do bad things because masters bad. meowth says this cant be my masters not around and i always act like a rat XD. I think spearows are evil

They sort of tries to portray kyurem as evil in the movie, but failed at showing the level of fear and intimidation it brought to people that knew of it in the games.
    My first shiny ever caught!

Named Admiral Sentret

I haven't seen M15 (in fact, has it ever been shown in the UK yet?!), but from what I've read, Kyurem is another unfortunate patient of misunderstooditus, being just eager to finish a fight Keldeo started. Granted, since he's in an antagonistic role (and since that may as well be a fight to the bloody death), he doesn't seem to suffer the Darkrai-type.

Plus, Kyurem does seem to be pretty scary, seeing how the thing's practically unstoppable. To quote Cracked: Keldeo vs. Kyurem "is sort of like showing up for a knife fight with the Death Star." Kyurem's the Death Star, in case it wasn't clear.

Also, how bout those Genesect? Seem pretty evil to me so far.
    Last edited by Spin Attaxx; 8th March 2013 at 5:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spin Attaxx View Post
    I haven't seen M15 (in fact, has it ever been shown in the UK yet?!), but from what I've read, Kyurem is another unfortunate patient of misunderstooditus, being just eager to finish a fight Keldeo started. Granted, since he's in an antagonistic role (and since that may as well be a fight to the bloody death), he doesn't seem to suffer the Darkrai-type.

Plus, Kyurem does seem to be pretty scary, seeing how the thing's practically unstoppable. To quote Cracked: Keldeo vs. Kyurem "is sort of like showing up for a knife fight with the Death Star." Kyurem's the Death Star, in case it wasn't clear.

Also, how bout those Genesect? Seem pretty evil to me so far.
    Well if anything, they don't make out kyurem to be misunderstood....more like him just innocently staying in his cave and resting, While keldeo comes to fight. Kyurem was made out to be the bad guy, but he stalked keldeo for good reason.
    My first shiny ever caught!

Named Admiral Sentret

So really. Are you asking The anime developers to have a story build up similar to The Avatar The Last Air Bender, One Piece, or Naruto Series? Something in those levels are kid targets YET THEY represent dark and more serious reality issues.

I mean I don't get this theoretical flaw.

Fantasy vs. Reality is not always equal. YET THEY ALWAYS WANTED FOR POKEMON TO HAVE REALITY LIKE CONFLICTS IN THE STORY!!! What then, are you expecting this series to represent the horrors of Military properties, abortion, Religious Philosoplers, Diplomatic relationships? UGH!

I may never understand those kinds of answers
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

Quote Originally Posted by yuoke View Post
    Well if anything, they don't make out kyurem to be misunderstood....more like him just innocently staying in his cave and resting, While keldeo comes to fight. Kyurem was made out to be the bad guy, but he stalked keldeo for good reason.
    In reality, Keldeo is the real villain of that movie.

And I remember reading an interview someone did with Masuda (might've been in gameinformer) where he said that the Pokemon world is a utopian society where most people and Pokemon have good intentions. Only a few Pokemon and Humans actually become evil. No Pokemon in the games have actually ever been truly evil. Most of them are just naturally mischievous or work of instinct.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

The Anime Writers and work seperatly from the game designers xP
    Show me how to lie, you’re getting better all the time
    And turning all against the one is an art that’s hard to teach
    Another clever word sets off an unsuspecting herd
    And as you step back in the line a mob jumps to their feet

Now dance, ****er, dance, man, he never had a chance
    And no one even knew, it was really only you

And now you steal away
    Take him out today
    Nice work you did
    You’re gonna go far, kid

Slowly outta line and drifting closer in your sights
    So play it out I’m wide awake, it’s a scene about me
    There’s something in your way and now someone is gonna pay
    And if you can’t get what you want, well, it’s all because of me

Quote Originally Posted by Thewindlord View Post
    The Anime Writers and work seperatly from the game designers xP
    While this is true, they still use the games as a base to work off of. I was just giving a reason as to why the anime is full of good/misunderstood Pokemon. But the reason is probably just that they want Pokemon to be seen as the good guys.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast