Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 76

Thread: Which new generation video game console you will buy?

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    1,995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Un0va View Post
    The Wii U IS 8th gen, though. It's determined by time, not power.
    Ehem, I said "I'm one of those people who doesn't consider the Wii U an 8th gen console". It's purely a personal opinion, I'm not trying to state it as a fact.

    Because the Wii U has yet to prove it can do anything the PS3 and Xbox 360 can't my impression of it is that it's a very late 7th gen console (revamp or shifted focus).

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Terra
    Posts
    1,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Night_Walker View Post
    Ehem, I said "I'm one of those people who doesn't consider the Wii U an 8th gen console". It's purely a personal opinion, I'm not trying to state it as a fact.
    I don't consider an apple a fruit, it's just my opinion.

    Like people have said before, Nintendo isn't trying to catch up with anyone. It's obvious they aren't actually trying to compete with Sony and Microsoft, they don't care about making systems with the best specs or similar, they care about innovating with gameplay and making affordable systems even if that means passing out on a lot of features. Although I will agree not having DVD playback at this point seems kind of silly.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Night_Walker View Post
    Because the Wii U has yet to prove it can do anything the PS3 and Xbox 360 can't my impression of it is that it's a very late 7th gen console (revamp or shifted focus).
    B-but... the little tablet controller thing!

    THE LITTLE TABLET CONTROLLER THING!

    Yeah, I'm not a fan of it either.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Celadon City, Den of Vice
    Posts
    2,250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    B-but... the little tablet controller thing!

    THE LITTLE TABLET CONTROLLER THING!
    That's actually a pretty big deal, I mean Sony is looking into a similar thing with the PS4 and Vita so you could sort of consider it a "next gen feature" particularly if the X-box sucessor ends up doing something similar. Though technically the Gamecube was already doing asymmetric gameplay before the WiiU. (but not the play your console without a TV part)

    Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/


  5. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,078

    Default

    I don't know what the big about screens in the controller is. The Dreamcast did it with the VMU's.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where the wind blows
    Posts
    4,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    And seriously, no DVD playback? What is this, 1998?
    Because it's a pointless feature that isn't needed at all, since almost anything can play DVD. Remember Nintendo's primarily and only market is video games.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    I don't know what the big about screens in the controller is.
    Off screen play is one of the useful features that interest me, since I have to share the TV with the family.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    The Dreamcast did it with the VMU's.
    The Dreamcast VMU was limited to being a HUD or telling when the game was saving. Sure it had mini game but only if the games supported it whereas the Wii U pad can do more.


    "Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

    Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

    You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

    twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    I don't know what the big about screens in the controller is. The Dreamcast did it with the VMU's.
    And the Virtual Boy did 3D before, too. The "big deal" is now the technology is actually here and we're actually ready for it.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    10,111

    Default

    I'm kind of in the "Wii U =/= 8th gen" boat here, I mean, I appreciate what Nintendo is trying to do, but they need to be competitive as far as specs go so they can get good 3rd party support.

    Don't get me wrong, I love Nintendo, I've owned pretty much every console they've made since 5th gen, but I feel like they may not remain in the console market for long if they don't pick up the pace.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    Because it's a pointless feature that isn't needed at all, since almost anything can play DVD. Remember Nintendo's primarily and only market is video games.
    Doesn't really matter. It's a simple feature too add. I don't understand adding Nexflix and Youtube support but no DVD. If anything, you'd think that Nintendo would want people to use their system for as many things as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimentio View Post
    And the Virtual Boy did 3D before, too. The "big deal" is now the technology is actually here and we're actually ready for it.
    The difference is, the VMU didn't kill you after using it unlike the VB.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    If anything, you'd think that Nintendo would want people to use their system for as many things as possible.
    Your Netflix/Youtube bit is a bit more fair a point, but DVD drives also bump up pricing (No matter how much or little). Also, I think you have it reversed. While in practice Nintendo would want to have as many things as possible on their device, they want you to play their games on it. Simple as that. The fact Netflix and Youtube are being supported by it is great, but it's all fluff. Reasonably speaking, that's what you get with a console: A device that plays games made for it. Anything more is fluff.

    The difference is, the VMU didn't kill you after using it unlike the VB.
    The difference is, the market is ready for it. VMU didn't utilize the hardware well enough, VB wasn't user-friendly (To put it nicely...). Now the technologies are both ready for it, so it's time to unveil them. Simple as that.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    10,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Doesn't really matter. It's a simple feature too add. I don't understand adding Nexflix and Youtube support but no DVD. If anything, you'd think that Nintendo would want people to use their system for as many things as possible.
    IIRC, Nintendo is against DVDs because of something to do with hacking.

    Some of the multimedia features Nintendo added also enhance the social experience of gaming in certain ways. Miiverse allows you to chat with other fans of particular games for anything related to those games. Internet allows you to look up guides for your games if you get stuck, among other things. Youtube also allows you to look up guides, but visual ones which may be more helpful depending on the game.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zazie View Post
    That's actually a pretty big deal, I mean Sony is looking into a similar thing with the PS4 and Vita so you could sort of consider it a "next gen feature" particularly if the X-box sucessor ends up doing something similar. Though technically the Gamecube was already doing asymmetric gameplay before the WiiU. (but not the play your console without a TV part)
    Remember E3? Microsoft was pushing to make the Xbox compatible with their tablet devices. I think that was their answer to the Wii U controller.

    I feel like we're going through the same thing as we were when motion control was all the rage a few years ago. Nintendo makes a fancy new motion controller and Sony and Microsoft make their own motion control stuff. They went on and on about how it will change gaming and make things more intuitive and innovative and buzzword and buzzword but the majority ended up being gimmicky nonsense. Tablet controllers things seem like the next generation of that. We're going to hear that "the possibilities are endless" when it's going to be just as gimmicky as motion control.

    Also, question to those Wii U owners out there. If you're playing the game on your TV and you have a HUD or inventory on the controller's screen what happens when you take the game off the TV? I probably won't ever need this feature since I own my own TV in my room but I'm just curious.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Far from human
    Posts
    1,496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    Remember E3? Microsoft was pushing to make the Xbox compatible with their tablet devices. I think that was their answer to the Wii U controller.

    I feel like we're going through the same thing as we were when motion control was all the rage a few years ago. Nintendo makes a fancy new motion controller and Sony and Microsoft make their own motion control stuff. They went on and on about how it will change gaming and make things more intuitive and innovative and buzzword and buzzword but the majority ended up being gimmicky nonsense. Tablet controllers things seem like the next generation of that. We're going to hear that "the possibilities are endless" when it's going to be just as gimmicky as motion control.

    Also, question to those Wii U owners out there. If you're playing the game on your TV and you have a HUD or inventory on the controller's screen what happens when you take the game off the TV? I probably won't ever need this feature since I own my own TV in my room but I'm just curious.
    A tablet controller seems like it would be much less of a gimmick than motion control. As it is with the Wii U, it feels like this is something that would mesh pretty nicely with most games, since it could simply be used for the HUD or the map in a game like BO2 or Crysis without getting in the way of the gaming experience.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Melior, Crimea
    Posts
    1,344

    Default

    I'll be getting a Wii U, either in 2013 or 2014. I'll also be getting one of PS4, 720, or Steambox sometime this gen, when I feel it has enough exclusive games to justify a purchase.
    Eagerly waiting for: Monolith Soft Wii U game

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where the wind blows
    Posts
    4,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Doesn't really matter. It's a simple feature too add.
    It's also pricey since Nintendo would have to pay licensing fee, thus bumping up the price of the Wii U.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    I don't understand adding Nexflix and Youtube support but no DVD.
    Because Nintendo aren't the one who made those features, an outside company did and they would have to pay Nintendo money, plus again it ties into the feature that you can use it on the Wii U pad.

    Furthermore DVD is an outdated format since streaming movie is now the big thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    If anything, you'd think that Nintendo would want people to use their system for as many things as possible.
    They are gaming company, they see the Wii U as a machine who primarily function is to play games everything else is just a bonus feature. Beside isn't the PS4 dropping DVD support, I know that it's dropping CD support.


    "Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

    Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

    You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

    twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    It's also pricey since Nintendo would have to pay licensing fee, thus bumping up the price of the Wii U.
    Perhaps. But the Wii U is already being sold at a lost iirc. Doesn't seem like a few extra bucks would be a big deal.

    Because Nintendo aren't the one who made those features, an outside company did and they would have to pay Nintendo money, plus again it ties into the feature that you can use it on the Wii U pad.
    If video game streaming could be done on it, then so could DVD playback.
    Furthermore DVD is an outdated format since streaming movie is now the big thing.
    I'll give you this. But it wasn't when the Wii came out. Plus, digital media will never fully replace the demand for a hard copy.
    They are gaming company, they see the Wii U as a machine who primarily function is to play games everything else is just a bonus feature. Beside isn't the PS4 dropping DVD support, I know that it's dropping CD support.
    That's true. But their sales are way from what they expected and they're pretty much losing all 3rd party support. Even when competing with the 360 and PS3. I appreciate them keeping games their focus, but as the sales and developers show, that simply won't be enough in this age. People want the most out of their system. The Wii U cost more yet does less than both the 360 and PS3. I'm not saying that a DVD player would solve this, but trying to get the most out the system would help. Hell, the PS2 beat the Dreamcast thanks to DVD playback. Nintendo could of come up with something.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Perhaps. But the Wii U is already being sold at a lost iirc. Doesn't seem like a few extra bucks would be a big deal.
    They are selling at a loss. Which is counteracted by the fact that they have all their first party stuff as well. If I recall, them selling a console + 1 game nets a profit. And any subsequent games as well.

    But it wasn't when the Wii came out. Plus, digital media will never fully replace the demand for a hard copy.
    I don't think the Wii's launch is relevant in this case. So the Wii didn't have DVD support. Wowee. It's irrelevant now that the Wii is in decline. Also, I'm not sure you can accurately state that digital media will "never fully replace demand for hard copy" especially in certain media outlets.

    That's true. But their sales are way from what they expected and they're pretty much losing all 3rd party support.
    Launch sales are always paltry. The Vita was actually a surprise for a console launch, handheld or not. In fairness, it has not even been half a year and also some games had to be pushed back for unrelated reasons (Metro: Last Light, Rayman, Wonderful 101, even Pikmin I suppose). Compare the Wii U launch to the 3DS, basically. Slow start then a quick rise to power. At least, that's how I'd see it. I won't deny though that their 3rd party support has been lacking, but that's honestly in large part due to those 3rd party developers.

  18. #68

    Default

    PlayStation 4.

    I look forward to the Wii U Dreamcasting itself out of the generation.

    ...only without any of the memorable software of that platform or core-market appeal.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    1,995

    Default

    Can we please avoid a flame war?

    Which yes I do think we're starting to head towards as we argue about features and company strategies.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Night_Walker View Post
    Can we please avoid a flame war?

    Which yes I do think we're starting to head towards as we argue about features and company strategies.
    There hasn't really been any flaming. This seems like a pretty calm discussion.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Far from human
    Posts
    1,496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimentio View Post
    They are selling at a loss. Which is counteracted by the fact that they have all their first party stuff as well. If I recall, them selling a console + 1 game nets a profit. And any subsequent games as well.
    Selling a console at a loss to begin with is still a bad idea, especially since they have to account for the share that all of their retailers take. Lately they've been trying to push digital downloads for that very reason - look at Fire Emblem: Awakening.

    I don't think the Wii's launch is relevant in this case. So the Wii didn't have DVD support. Wowee. It's irrelevant now that the Wii is in decline. Also, I'm not sure you can accurately state that digital media will "never fully replace demand for hard copy" especially in certain media outlets.
    It's still a pretty basic function and certainly one that wouldn't hurt the Wii U, especially since the PS3 had Blu-Ray support. I get that they're trying to make it a machine mainly for gaming but I don't think they should be choosing features not to add just because they think it doesn't fit with how they're branding the console or whatever.

    Launch sales are always paltry. The Vita was actually a surprise for a console launch, handheld or not. In fairness, it has not even been half a year and also some games had to be pushed back for unrelated reasons (Metro: Last Light, Rayman, Wonderful 101, even Pikmin I suppose). Compare the Wii U launch to the 3DS, basically. Slow start then a quick rise to power. At least, that's how I'd see it. I won't deny though that their 3rd party support has been lacking, but that's honestly in large part due to those 3rd party developers.
    Metro: Last Light was never going to be a Wii U title, IIRC they made a mistake when they showed it off at the Wii U conference but I could be wrong. The fact remains, though - third party support for the Wii U is pretty lacking right now, regardless of why. The Wii's best third party games were the ones that made the most creative use of the Wiimote like No More Heroes, and I don't think that's going to be as evident this generation. The touchpad is essentially a a controller with a screen on it, meaning that any games that come to the Wii U could just as well be put on the PS4 or 720 and look better to boot.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,634

    Default

    To answer the topic question. It depends on a couple things for me.

    If the consoles all require a constant Internet connection, that's an automatic dealbreaker for me. My Internet cuts out randomly on a regular basis, so it would be a pain to play a game for a couple hours, and lose all that progress because it randomly boots me off. Not to mention requiring a constant connection is a terrible idea in concept, because your game servers are going to be under a heavy load 24/7. Without enough servers, you'll be running into the same situation that the creators of the new SimCity are currently having problems with (the game randomly stops working due to server issues and players lose hours of work as a result, and can't log on to play the game they spent 60 bucks on). And this is a company that generally knows what they're doing when it comes to making games. This is not a good sign, folks...

    Second, the one install per game might sound like a good anti-piracy measure, at least in theory. But anyone who knows anything about video games, knows that when a game is updated, problems can happen that force the player to reinstall (like if the power goes out midway through the process). If there is going to be a one install per game policy across the board, there'd BETTER be a guarantee that those problems will never happen, it had better be IN WRITING, and there had better be COMPENSATION if it DOES happen. Otherwise, my future game library will be relegated to handhelds, Nintendo and table-tops.
    Last edited by SBaby; 8th March 2013 at 4:04 AM.
    A Winner Is You!!!

    If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

    The worst thing you can do in any business is blame the customer.
    - Willie 'Jack' Degel

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    look behind you
    Posts
    624

    Default

    which ever one that will let me play online for free so probably the ps4
    3DS FC 1220 - 6490 - 8008

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    550

    Default

    None of the above, all the games I really wanted got pushed back (NSMBU doesn't count- I already beat it), and the others aren't too appealing to me, either. Maybe if PS4 has Dark Cloud 3 or Klonoa 3, I might get it, but if it's always online, I'm out.
    I, stickerstaryoshi, am now authorized to use the usertitle "We got 3D: XY!", created by user Cresselia92 and to modify it according to my desires.

    Fan of the Mario and Luigi series since 2005.

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,813

    Default

    im getting ps4 the day it comes out i cant wait for it i love sony games

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •