Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you like the narrator?

Default Do you like the narrator?

I don't know how I would feel if they just got rid of the narrator. I know to some he doesn't matter but he has been with the serious for years and I grew up with him. I know in Japan Oak does it but if they just got rid of the dub narrator for either Oak or just nobody and got rid of the narration I'm not sure how I would feel. In certain episodes like the end of the Unova League he says things at times that just make me happy and love the series more. I remember during the Team Galactic final arc in the first episode he just said it Sinnoh is in a crisis in such a way it really just made me feel like something sinister was going down. Does anyone else like Mr.Rodger Parsons?

I'm personally happy that Mr. Parsons is still on the show as the narrator. I surprisingly don't really care much for him as the narrator anymore, but it's something for me to be happy about as far as the VA situation is concerned.

Actually, he left the show when TAJ left around Season 6 as 4Kids took the dub in-house, so 4Kids got Mike Pollock to take over from the remainder of Season 6-Season 8, until the dub moved back to TAJ again. Then, Rodger regained the role from there onwards as I understand it.

I like the narrator, though. He gives that storybook feel to the show.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 13th April 2013 at 6:55 PM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

I love him. He's pretty much the only thing that's remained constant in the series, and he makes me laugh because of how dramatic he makes some things sound. Although Mike Pollock is a good actor and does good voices, I really didn't like his narration, but I think mainly because Roger Parsons had been around for such a long time, and I'm glad he came back. I also love his commentary in Battle Revolution.

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

"For God so loveth the world, that he hath given his only son, that none that believe in him, should perish: but should have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

My Animelist

deffinatly since the beggining. but when it was changed throuout the later half of 4kids run,... it always felt off to me... but when the original returned with PUSA taking back over.. it was like coming home after a long trip

Take a step and I'm on my way, gonna start all over again,.......again.

The season 6-8 guy sounded horrible when he narrated. :L

I also never noticed that the Japanese narrator was supposed to be Oak. O.o Maybe it's because the actual character doesn't appear often enough.

The original Narrator is the best. Love his voice and it gives a good feel to the show.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimeStack View Post
    The season 6-8 guy sounded horrible when he narrated. :L

I also never noticed that the Japanese narrator was supposed to be Oak. O.o Maybe it's because the actual character doesn't appear often enough.
    Honestly the current VAs for the main characters sounded far worse to me than Mike Pollock's narration. It took me 5 seasons to adjust to them...Pollock took me 10 episodes, tops. I still prefer Parsons, but I wasn't phased much by it.

Quote Originally Posted by halloweenghost View Post
    deffinatly since the beggining. but when it was changed throuout the later half of 4kids run,... it always felt off to me... but when the original returned with PUSA taking back over.. it was like coming home after a long trip
    Disagree. Only because of what happened to Ash and company in return for the narrator.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 13th April 2013 at 7:41 PM.
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    Honestly the current VAs for the main characters sounded far worse to me than Mike Pollock's narration. XD.
    I had no idea Rodger left. Then again most of Hoenn is a blur to me. Need to rewatch it Xd

I do like the narrator (mainly the old one), but it's just one of those things I never really noticed, except on a few rare occasions.

"Drat, we wasted this episode cheering the good guys."
    "Right, James. Better luck next time."
    I, stickerstaryoshi, am now authorized to use the usertitle "We got 3D: XY!", created by user Cresselia92 and to modify it according to my desires.

Fan of the Mario and Luigi series since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightMelody View Post
    I had no idea Rodger left. Then again most of Hoenn is a blur to me. Need to rewatch it Xd
    Be warned in that he doesn't sound much like Rodger Parsons, though. Pollock narrated from "Which Wurmple's Which?" to "Pasta La Vista!"
    He isn't on par with Mr. Parsons, but it's easier to adjust to his voice for the narrator than the main character VA change. If you can do the latter, the former is easier to get past, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by marioluigifan05 View Post
    I do like the narrator (mainly the old one), but it's just one of those things I never really noticed, except on a few rare occasions.

"Drat, we wasted this episode cheering the good guys."
    "Right, James. Better luck next time."
    Same here. I used to care for his voice, actually, until the "OUR HEROES!" thing never ended. He couldn't say "Ash and company do this" more often or "May is doing x" or "Iris and Cilan are doing y." No, it's always "Our Heroes" with him. One of the only good things about Pollock's narration was that he showed some variety in his short tenure in the role.

Still, I have to give TPCi credit for this much: they got the old narrator back. Personally, though, I'd still rather have Pollock's average narration with the excellent original VAs than Rodger's excellent narration with the average current VAs anyday.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 13th April 2013 at 7:51 PM.

I like the narrator, that part I'm not picky on.
    岩根雅明=♡

I was sure the narrator and the announcer guy on Pokémon Stadium were played by the same person. Guess not.

Eh... I'm on the fence with the narrator. I get that it's a kids' show, and he really only talks in the very beginning and at the very end, but the moments where he talked in the middle of the show making snarky comments or something like that are pretty distracting. Of course, that could be just the 4KIDS dub in general which would lead to Team Rocket leaning on the fourth wall at times, but... I dunno, I don't really care for him much.

The PokéDex narrator for the first Pikachu short on the other hand, oh my Lord, it wouldn't shut up and it ruins the short for me (even though the short's "meh" anyway). I hear the Japanese version had it as well, even in the second Pikachu short, which I'm happy that 4KIDS left out a narrator in the second short. I think he was brought back not long afterward, but I can't remember if it was before Camp Pikachu or it was that short where he came back. So I guess in a way, I don't know if I should like him or not. *shrugs*
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

I don't listen to the narrator but I liked both of them. At first the change bugged me, but I adapted well.
    Ugh this just makes me wonder why Pokemon even needs a narrator I mean who is he? Arceus?
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

I like the old narrator the best. I am glad TPCI kept him.
    “We do have a lot in common.
    The same air, the same Earth, the same
    sky.
    Maybe if we started looking at
    what's the same instead of
    always looking at what's different,
    ...well, who knows?”
    ― Meowth

Quote Originally Posted by SlimeStack View Post
    I also never noticed that the Japanese narrator was supposed to be Oak. O.o
    He isn't. It's just the same actor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    The PokéDex narrator for the first Pikachu short on the other hand, oh my Lord, it wouldn't shut up and it ruins the short for me (even though the short's "meh" anyway). I hear the Japanese version had it as well, even in the second Pikachu short, which I'm happy that 4KIDS left out a narrator in the second short.
    The Japanese shorts have various celebrities providing narration, but they only have a couple lines to set the stage or to introduce various new Pokémon, and they all have sweet and soothing vices to give the shorts that picture book feel.
    (this is also why the third Pikachu short is "banned" in Japan - its narrator/theme song singer was arrested for drug possession and they don't want her associated with the show because of that)

The dex narrator in the first dub short was a complete 4Kids invention with no relation to the original beyond the "they both narrate". 4Kids wrote an entirely new script to that short.
    Last edited by Dephender; 14th April 2013 at 6:14 PM.

i don't really mind. he's not that useful and i don't think there would be that much difference if we didn't have him. all he really does is give you a recap of the episode and say 'as the journey continues...'. he doesn't bother me, but i wouldn't mind if he wasn't there. i'm basically indifferent.
    The Doctor: 'People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually*
    from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.'
    In other words: Time is Complicated.
    Credit to epicjirachifan, Chapter of Charizard FairyWitch and Astaral Shadow of the Under

I hope he does stay; if they got a voice actor similar to the original and had to replace the man we have; fantastic. Otherwise, I hope we keep the narrator. A lot is changing in the anime and the narrator "To be continued" has been around since Day 1. I hope it forever stays that way until the end of the anime , and he says something like "Well, that's a wrap".
    If you're a DC comics fan, GTA or Saints Row fan, hit me up with a vm, I'm always looking to talk to new people for my favourite stuff!

[IMG]http://i43.*******.com/nmgcc9.png[/IMG]
    Credit goes to AvengingAngel for the banner.

Quote Originally Posted by sandy ketchum View Post
    I like the old narrator the best. I am glad TPCI kept him.
    Of ALL the characters, why him, though? Really, TPCi? It's A-OK to recast every person you hear for 30 minutes of an episode, but the guy who talks for the first 30 secs and last 30 secs of the episode MUST stay the same? He's just THAT special! -_-

I can imagine the brilliant conversation TAJ must have had when recasting the roles:

Larry Juris: "A-duh, let's replace all the main characters' voices. Nobody will notice right? hurdurdurdur."
    Armen Mazlumian: "Yeah brosef. Let's get back the old narrator though. Everyone loves him the most."
    Larry Juris: "HE'S RIGHT DAMMIT...THE NARRATOR IS KING!"
    Armen Mazlumian: "So it's agreed...we'll get people off the street to play the main chars who sound nothing like the people they replaced like what happened to DBZ and some of 4Kids all-time crappiest VAs in main roles, but bring the old narrator back?"
    Larry Juris: "You got it!"

Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    I don't listen to the narrator but I liked both of them. At first the change bugged me, but I adapted well.
    Ugh this just makes me wonder why Pokemon even needs a narrator I mean who is he? Arceus?
    Same here. The current dub voices are a totally different story, though. It took me 5 YEARS to get used to them. O_O

They were just awful in BF and DP, IMO.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 15th April 2013 at 4:06 PM.

I'm partial to him. Sometimes it seems like he's a little pointless and can be a bit mood breaking when silence would be a better way to end the episode. Sometimes like it was said before he adds a sort of storybook charm to the series.

Of ALL the characters, why him, though? Really, TPCi? It's A-OK to recast every person you hear for 30 minutes of an episode, but the guy who talks for the first 30 secs and last 30 secs of the episode MUST stay the same? He's just THAT special! -_-

I can imagine the brilliant conversation TAJ must have had when recasting the roles:

Larry Juris: "A-duh, let's replace all the main characters' voices. Nobody will notice right? hurdurdurdur."
    Armen Mazlumian: "Yeah brosef. Let's get back the old narrator though. Everyone loves him the most."
    Larry Juris: "HE'S RIGHT DAMMIT...THE NARRATOR IS KING!"
    Armen Mazlumian: "So it's agreed...we'll get people off the street to play the main chars who sound nothing like the people they replaced like what happened to DBZ and some of 4Kids all-time crappiest VAs in main roles, but bring the old narrator back?"
    Larry Juris: "You got it!"

Same here. The current dub voices are a totally different story, though. It took me 5 YEARS to get used to them. O_O

They were just awful in BF and DP, IMO.

Cheaper since he hardly does anything tbh compared to other actors I mean if you think it over it makes sense.

He usually makes a good opening and closing to the episodes, unless there is a cliffhanger episode and he out of nowhere starts announcing the obvious things happening we already know.
    My first shiny ever caught!

Named Admiral Sentret

I kinda like the present narrator. His voice is great, but the older narrator at around the Hoenn seasons sounded strange.

Spoiler:- Credits::

- please excuse my shoddy syntax for some reason I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightMelody View Post
    Cheaper since he hardly does anything tbh compared to other actors I mean if you think it over it makes sense.
    From a business standpoint, sure, it makes logical sense. From an ethical standpoint, just a messed up move. But you guys know my thoughts on how I feel the main 4Kids VA cast has been totally screwed over these days. I mean, it doesn't really matter now seeing as they're never coming back, but thinking of what could've been is pretty dejecting for me to say the least. *sighs*

Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth1011 View Post
    I kinda like the present narrator. His voice is great, but the older narrator at around the Hoenn seasons sounded strange.
    That's because it's the same VA who played him in Seasons 1-6, Rodger Parsons, that does him now (and personally, the only voice on the entire show I think has been better since the dubs switched from 4Kids to TPCi). What happened was he left when TAJ left, and 4Kids took the dub in house for Seasons 6-8. Then, when TPCi took over, they replaced everyone's voices and brought the old narrator back with an entire set of new voice actors for the main chars.

Then, when we all told them we hated the new voices, they hired a voice actress who never did any voice acting before in her life, period, named Sarah Natochenny, to take over Ash and that was it. She has played Ash ever since then up to this day.

I must say, it was a small price to pay to see the narrator leave the show back then along with Officer Jenny and Nurse Joy's VAs, in comparison to see the whole main dub voice cast leave three seasons later in return for the old narrator back. I don't like either move that occurred, really, but compared to the latter one? Not even close to as painful.

Pollock was annoying as the narrator, but he actually settled in after 30 or so eps. The current VAs like Sarah took at least 150 episodes to settle in, IMO.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 15th April 2013 at 4:39 PM.

From a business standpoint, sure, it makes logical sense. From an ethical standpoint, just a messed up move. But you guys know my thoughts on how I feel the main 4Kids VA cast has been totally screwed over these days. I mean, it doesn't really matter now seeing as they're never coming back, but thinking of what could've been is pretty dejecting for me to say the least. *sighs*

That's because it's the same VA who played him in Seasons 1-6, Rodger Parsons, that does him now (and personally, the only voice on the entire show I think has been better since the dubs switched from 4Kids to TPCi). What happened was he left when TAJ left, and 4Kids took the dub in house for Seasons 6-8. Then, when TPCi took over, they replaced everyone's voices and brought the old narrator back with an entire set of new voice actors for the main chars.

Then, when we all told them we hated the new voices, they hired a voice actress who never did any voice acting before in her life, period, named Sarah Natochenny, to take over Ash and that was it. She has played Ash ever since then up to this day.

I must say, it was a small price to pay to see the narrator leave the show back then along with Officer Jenny and Nurse Joy's VAs, in comparison to see the whole main dub voice cast leave three seasons later in return for the old narrator back. I don't like either move that occurred, really, but compared to the latter one? Not even close to as painful.

Pollock was annoying as the narrator, but he actually settled in after 30 or so eps. The current VAs like Sarah took at least 150 episodes to settle in, IMO.
    If he left when taj left and came back when PUSA started using taj, that means he's more a taj actor than he is a 4kids actor.
    That's what it sounds like to me. Unless I'm wrong of course but it does sound like it.

It's pretty obvious why he got back the role in that case. The difference this time was when TPCI left taj he stayed.

I wasn't a fan of the 2nd narrator to tell the truth throughout his entire run. He was okay but I always felt the first narrator set the mood better.
    Last edited by The Power of Pika; 16th April 2013 at 7:08 AM.

Put together by me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Power of Pika View Post
    If he left when taj left and came back when PUSA started using taj, that means he's more a taj actor than he is a 4kids actor.
    That's what it sounds like to me. Unless I'm wrong of course but it does sound like it.

It's pretty obvious why he got back the role in that case. The difference this time was when TPCI left taj he stayed.

I wasn't a fan of the 2nd narrator to tell the truth throughout his entire run. He was okay but I always felt the first narrator set the mood better.
    The narrator was kept from TAJ when TPCi moved to DuArt because TAJ cease activities during 2008-2009. And the bankrupcy of 4kids (and his previous problems) caused that VA from 4kids are voicing for TPCi now. In fact, 50% of 4kids has voiced at least one TPCi role.

I don't know the exact situation but I think so because it coincides with the times of TAJ in the dub and when TAJ dissappears he is continuing doing voices.
    I think that Pokemon is beautiful and has its charm

Serebii, Bulbagarden

Note: I decided to not post post that had cause hate to me anymore. If you see one, please PM me and I will delete the moment I'm aware and I'm online.

I need to take a break in the anime forum because these forum bored me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast