Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is the BW series doing gimmick things to have more ratings? Are they desesperate?

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPierce View Post
    Yes, let's return to the safe and predictable days of AG and D/P with Ash, regional female Player Character co-star/fanservice provider, and Brock travelling around, meeting new people and Pokemon, having to deal with Team Rocket trying the same thing and repeating the same jokes over and over again, with many boring training episodes and the occasional plot-relevant ones like Gym battles, Contests, or regional evil team meetings. As long as it has awesome BATTLES and specifics that only the geeks in this fandom care about, it'll be great!
    Like BW doesn't repeat the same tired and unfunny jokes they've done since it's start? Iris tired, overused and unfunny deadpan nature. Cilans overused tasting time. Bianca knoking Ash into the water. Stephan unfunny name gag. Way to ignore those, really nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    To give closure to Togepi's story
    What exactly was it's closure? It never showed an interest in evolving ever.

and show her adjusting to her life as a Gym leader.
    We never saw her do anything though.

She mentioned it sure, but that's hardly telling us that she's adjusting to the lifestyle.

They made a big deal promoting Dawn's return and her cameo had her doing nothing and losing to Iris early in a tournament.
    That's a lie really, Dawn's promotion was mainly tied to the promotion of the brand new saga. Take away the promotion side of things though, yeah she did do nothing but none of the characters who return for a short period ever do besides Misty leaving Togetic behind.

To give closure to Togepi's story and show her adjusting to her life as a Gym leader. They didn't make a big deal out of her return otherwise as she only got 2 episodes in Hoenn. After that just a Pallet town visit which is relatively unimportant all things considered.
    So Togepi evolving, totally unrelevant to the plot is less of a gimmick than Charizard coming back for Tp?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Aker View Post
    Like BW doesn't repeat the same tired and unfunny jokes they've done since it's start? Iris tired, overused and unfunny deadpan nature. Cilans overused tasting time. Bianca knoking Ash into the water. Stephan unfunny name gag. Way to ignore those, really nice job.
    When was the last tasting time anyway? Like the nursery episode? Yeaaah. Also Kenyan's joke get nice closure at least imo.
    Might as well link my Deviantart gallery, I mainly do Pokemon related stuff, maybe something'll catch your interest.:] http://rohanite.deviantart.com/gallery/

Ash vs Korrina Alternate Ending Comic: http://rohanite.tumblr.com/post/8546...e-with-korrina

This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciated starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360

Every single season and region has had different overused gimmicks and jokes, that's just always part of the series. The only difference that that there has been in bw is the characterization of ash and team rocket. Cilan hasn't done any of his stuff for awhile though anyway , iris hasn't called ash a kid that much as of late.
    My first shiny ever caught!

Named Admiral Sentret

Togepi's metronome powers were built up ever since Orange Islands. Since the writing of Johto was terrible they didn't evolve it mid Johto like they should have. Her AG cameo was supposed to be the development she should have gotten in Johto.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Aker View Post
    Iris doesn't use her kid comment nearly as much and Dento has done a tasting time since like the tag battle episode. The Kenyan gagged ended in the league.

Togepi's metronome powers were built up ever since Orange Islands.
    Togepi's Metronome powers were just the same as Psyduck's confusion and Wobbufets Counter/Mirror Coat. They were special in the fact they were made to seem amazing, but nothing was ever 'built up'.

Since the writing of Johto was terrible they didn't evolve it mid Johto like they should have. Her AG cameo was supposed to be the development she should have gotten in Johto.
    I agree it should have evolved in Johto, but it didn't and nothing ever said it would evolve in the first place. No hints, nothing.

Axew evolving into Fraxure before the end of BW, and returning for 2/3 episodes in Gen VI to evolve into Haxorus would be closure since it's wanted to evolve and Iris has been training it to do so.

This thread probably won't last very long. I see it being closed soon. I see BW is going to be one of those regions where talking about it after it ends will almost always end in debates. Because neither side seems to be getting anywhere.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

I think most people really want axew to evolve, bur I just don't see it happening with as marketable as he is, and we're getting close to the end. Plus we already know it won't by the movie.
    My first shiny ever caught!

Named Admiral Sentret

Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    Now it's suddenly wrong to be excited about stuff? What the hell?
    Yeah, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rohanator View Post
    So it's dumb to be excited about seeing something cool in a kids show. Actually, that's probably true for us adults but that's besides the point. Stop talking sh*t and let people enjoy their damn kids anime. The levels of arrogance LOL
    Brining back Mewtwo and Charizard are gimmicks. Right? Getting excited is exactly what they want you to be when they re-introduce gimmicks like that.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPierce View Post
    But Mewtwo coming back has nothing to do with Best Wishes or it's ratings; it's happening in the movie.
    It's a movie during the Best Wishes saga so it's correct.

Any TV show would do whatever required in order to gain ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by diakyu View Post
    I really don't understand why people blame BW for stuff like this when all the other seasons also use gimmicks to get more ratings, it's just how the show works.
    As many of us have pointed out, BW has used more gimmicks than other sagas; the key word being more. The network is shamelessly promoting certain things and in the end most of those things turn out to be lame, at least according to most fans. Like for instance the whole "conclusion of Team Rocket" thing that turned out to be false; even the part about it being Team Rocket's greatest scheme was a lie as they're guaranteed to plan bigger schemes especially during the current saga.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciccone View Post
    As many of us have pointed out, BW has used more gimmicks than other sagas; the key word being more. The network is shamelessly promoting certain things and in the end most of those things turn out to be lame, at least according to most creepy-pre-grown-up-geeks-that-are-not-even-the-target-of-the-show-anymore. Like for instance the whole "conclusion of Team Rocket" thing that turned out to be false; even the part about it being Team Rocket's greatest scheme was a lie as they're guaranteed to plan bigger schemes especially during the current saga.
    That´s more accurate
    Last edited by Squirtle_007; 1st March 2013 at 11:59 PM.

I'm not sure why people are questioning these gimmicks when every saga has brought forth new ideas. DP didn't do things exactly like AG so there's no reason to believe the new ideas in BW are because of a hidden motive like increasing ratings.

These 3-years have practically flown by so it probably has more to do with the writers trying to make BW as memorable as possible.

So, if these gimmicks are gimmicks.(Advertisement, the whole point of this show) I guess the Notch-Eared Pichu, May returns, the Johto Festa, Swinub's quick evolution(Pokemon Platinum advertisement!!!!1111), The Rotom episode, the introduction of Looker, Ursula showing up with Pikachu's Hoenn cousins, and the return of old Pokemon in the league were gimmicks too? I guess those don't count since they were separated by the immense amount of bland fillers in DP.

Also, anime nerds are not the "true" fans because they are not the target audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    So, if these gimmicks are gimmicks.(Advertisement, the whole point of this show) I guess the Notch-Eared Pichu, May returns, the Johto Festa, Swinub's quick evolution(Pokemon Platinum advertisement!!!!1111), The Rotom episode, the introduction of Looker, Ursula showing up with Pikachu's Hoenn cousins, and the return of old Pokemon in the league were gimmicks too? I guess those don't count since they were separated by the immense amount of bland fillers in DP.

Also, anime nerds are not the "true" fans because they are not the target audience.
    Let's not forget Togekiss and the Misty lure :P
    Last edited by moneylesswario; 2nd March 2013 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marioluigifan05 View Post
    Let's not forget Togekiss and the Misty lure :P
    Aw, yes, Togekiss's capture and Cyndaquil's league evolution and the episode before with a battle of all three Johto starters against TR. Nice gimmicking(advertisement) for Platinum and HGSS of course since Togepi is gotten by egg in both games. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Brining back Mewtwo and Charizard are gimmicks. Right? Getting excited is exactly what they want you to be when they re-introduce gimmicks like that.
    So...they do something that they hope people will get excited about and people get excited..why is this wrong again? Is there really something wrong with actually enjoying this stuff nowadays? I like seeing Charizard and Mewtwo, I don't give a f*ck about "gimmicks".
    Might as well link my Deviantart gallery, I mainly do Pokemon related stuff, maybe something'll catch your interest.:] http://rohanite.deviantart.com/gallery/

Ash vs Korrina Alternate Ending Comic: http://rohanite.tumblr.com/post/8546...e-with-korrina

This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciated starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360

i think what mr.vern is getting to is that yeah they want you to be excited however you just won't know if that excitement is too much. usually when they try to make the audience super excited, sometimes it ends up being a major disappointment.

of course, correct me if i am wrong.
    岩根雅明=♡

A few points aren't even valid. Unlike Charizard/Mewtwo's return or TR's finalmission, some of the stuff listed are game promotion for Pt/HGSS. Unlike 5th gen, which is just pure Unova, Gen 4 HAD none Sinnoh games too! As for Plusle & minun, it was just to tie up / reveal why Kenny caled Dawn Pikari. That's it. It's also ironic that between that the titles you listed from Rotom ep to Princess's Salvia Togekiss EP, a lot of them aren' even filler at all. I can list a few off my head right now. vs team Galactic (Iron Island, Gateway to ruins, 3-parter), vs Hunter J (TG Finale, Regis), vs Brandon (Battle Pyramidep), vs Paul (Lake Acuity 2-parter), Gym Battle (6&7), Zoey episodes,Johto Festival, Daybreak (?) Town Contest, Pokemon Ping-Pong w/ Ambipom's release, vs Ursula (twice), Cresselia vsDarkrai... etc etc. DP doesn't have as much fillers as the fanbase perceives, you know? The filler-y part is towards the end, 7th andth gym might have a large gap, but it's spent on *list above*

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

I wasn't aware such a thing as a "true" fan exists myself.

Point being, there is no "true" fan. That's a load of BS. So long as you give each arc a chance and watch it a bit regardless of whether you like it or not, you are a true fan in my eyes.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 2nd March 2013 at 2:14 AM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    I wasn't aware such a thing as a "true" fan exists myself.

Point being, there is no "true" fan. That's a load of BS. So long as you give each arc a chance and watch it a bit regardless of whether you like it or not, you are a true fan in my eyes.
    He means the people that the anime is written for, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by marioluigifan05 View Post
    He means the people that the anime is written for, I think.
    Yeah pretty much, most of them 's only exposure to charizard's past will be the flashbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Yeah pretty much, most of them 's only exposure to charizard's past will be the flashbacks.
    So will the grand total of 30 seconds of screentime Misty/Brock get in the flashback sequence.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast