Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 96

Thread: Is the BW series doing gimmick things to have more ratings? Are they desesperate?

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Distant Valhalla
    Posts
    8,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ciccone View Post
    I agree that it's a huge gimmick, as well as an obvious one. I mean I think it's clear that they want to replicate the success of the first movie, but it's also really lame in my opinion because instead of trying something new, they're repeating themselves something fierce by re-using old ideas, which isn't appealing to me.

    And speaking of ratings, does anyone have a link to that site that lists all the ratings for the Japanese version of the anime? I lost track of it and I'm curious about the latest ratings.
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...february-11-17

    There is it. February 14th was 5.5, week before was 4.4.


    ....and now, her story begins.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    I'm on a boat mother... what?
    Posts
    5,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ciccone View Post
    I agree that it's a huge gimmick, as well as an obvious one. I mean I think it's clear that they want to replicate the success of the first movie, but it's also really lame in my opinion because instead of trying something new, they're repeating themselves something fierce by re-using old ideas, which isn't appealing to me.
    Genesect, TP... sounds like a replica to me -_-

  3. #28

    Default

    The fandom makes me laugh.

    Cynthia, Looker, Mewtwo and Charizard returning are no way near gimmicks at all..

    -Cynthia and Looker were present in the Black and White games, it's natural that they appeared in the anime.

    -Mewtwo had the biggest and most obvious connections to Genesect even before the BW anime had started, it seems obvious that Ken Sugimori when designing Genesect wanted it to be compared to Mewtwo right from the very start. Hence why it's background and creation is so similar.

    -Charizard returning? EVERY SAGA HAS PREVIOUS POKEMON RETURNING SO IT IS NOT A GIMMICK. INFACT CHARIZARD SO FAR IS THE ONLY POKEMON OF ASH'S TO RETURN PROPERLY, BW HAS THE LEAST GIMMICKS OF ANY OTHER SAGA.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    At south of Kalos.
    Posts
    2,199

    Default

    About the Unova League being horrible, I remember the ig battles of Sinnoh who I don't think that they can do it if they air now. THey can air those matches but it would be sightly less epic:

    Because I know that if the DP saga was airing in 2012 and 2013, the Ash vs Paul battle will be 2 episodes and lasted around 20 minutes less (lasted 50 min), and the battle will be more simple. And we won't see battles like Zoey vs Nando and Dawn vs Zoey lasting too long. They will be , at least, partially shorter.

    Thisis because in Best Wishes, the pokemon anime (and probably any action-anime) are using stock animation if there's available. In Pokemon Contests, they will respect the appeal for the most part the battle rounds... not so much.

    Of course, I preferred a Ash vs Paul battle with lots of stocked animation and stocked animation in the Grand Festival to the Unova League crap.

    I didn't expected a horrible league. I expect a league that was good but they won't be spectacular like the Sinnoh and Johto ones, shorter battles and with a lot of stocked animation. I thought that we can get full battles in 20 min.
    Last edited by Eievui-Nymphia; 1st March 2013 at 9:52 PM.
    I think that Pokemon is beautiful and has its charm


    Serebii, Bulbagarden

    Note: I decided to not post post that had cause hate to me anymore. If you see one, please PM me and I will delete the moment I'm aware and I'm online.

    I need to take a break in the anime forum because these forum bored me.


  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    The gimmick things happening so fast and so much isn't out of desperation, it's because BEST WISHES IS A FAST-PACED SERIES.

    These are no different than the merchandising gimmicks of the past, it's just that the show is moving so fast that the gimmicks do as well to keep up.

    Also, Episode N as a title is pretty gimmicky, yes, but Season 2 is natural given that the show is now representing B2/W2 rather than B/W.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Brining back Mewtwo and Charizard returning is the biggest gimmick that the writers have ever pulled.
    But Mewtwo coming back has nothing to do with Best Wishes or it's ratings; it's happening in the movie. As for Charizard....

    Quote Originally Posted by Haunter227 View Post
    EVERY SAGA HAS PREVIOUS POKEMON RETURNING SO IT IS NOT A GIMMICK. INFACT CHARIZARD SO FAR IS THE ONLY POKEMON OF ASH'S TO RETURN PROPERLY, BW HAS THE LEAST GIMMICKS OF ANY OTHER SAGA.
    Yeah, what he said.
    Last edited by AgentPierce; 1st March 2013 at 9:27 PM.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ariana's vocal cords
    Posts
    44,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haunter227 View Post
    -Charizard returning? EVERY SAGA HAS PREVIOUS POKEMON RETURNING SO IT IS NOT A GIMMICK. INFACT CHARIZARD SO FAR IS THE ONLY POKEMON OF ASH'S TO RETURN PROPERLY, BW HAS THE LEAST GIMMICKS OF ANY OTHER SAGA.
    You're forgetting that this is Charizard we're talking about, aka one of Ash's most popular Pokemon. If it had been one of his other Pokemon I wouldn't see it as a gimmick, but given Charizard's history, I'm inclined to believe that he was chosen to return based solely on his popularity. I mean it's not like he needs development or anything. There's really no other reason for him to return other than to increase ratings, hence why some of us think his return is another gimmick and hype opportunity.

  7. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentPierce View Post
    The gimmick things happening so fast and so much isn't out of desperation, it's because BEST WISHES IS A FAST-PACED SERIES.
    It's not even just that Agent Pierce, people seem to forget that the first 80 episodes of BW had absolutely no gimmicks at all compared to the other sagas which had gimmicks spread out throughout the whole saga.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ciccone View Post
    You're forgetting that this is Charizard we're talking about, aka one of Ash's most popular Pokemon. If it had been one of his other Pokemon I wouldn't see it as a gimmick, but given Charizard's history, I'm inclined to believe that he was chosen to return based solely on his popularity. I mean it's not like he needs development or anything. There's really no other reason for him to return other than to increase ratings, hence why some of us think his return is another hype opportunity.
    He probably did return because of his popularity but so what? He didn't return in DP despite the majority of his other older Pokemon all returning.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Distant Valhalla
    Posts
    8,009

    Default

    This thread should be closed.

    We don't need yet another BW complaint thread.


    ....and now, her story begins.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ciccone View Post
    I mean it's not like he needs development or anything. There's really no other reason for him to return other than to increase ratings
    Or it could be that the writers created a Pokemon that was extremely similar to Ash's Charizard: Iris' Dragonite, and they couldn't resist making the two of them meet.

  10. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    This thread should be closed.

    We don't need yet another BW complaint thread.
    Complaints that are all misunderstandings.

    Nobody seems to take into account that BW is faster paced, and that all of these apparent 'gimmicks' were saved until the final half of BW meaning they were bound to be packed together all at once.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ariana's vocal cords
    Posts
    44,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haunter227 View Post
    He probably did return because of his popularity but so what? He didn't return in DP despite the majority of his other older Pokemon all returning.
    Well as others have pointed out, this all comes down to one basic thing: the quest for higher ratings. BW has had some of the lowest ratings yet, so of course the studio would want to show a popular Pokemon like Charizard now. DP had fairly good ratings so Charizard's return wasn't a necessity back then. Not that I'm trying to pit DP against BW, but I think it's safe to say that DP's ratings were superior to BW's; I don't need to see the ratings list to assume that much. :x

    Oh and by the way, I realize that Mewtwo's return isn't helpful to the anime's ratings given that he's coming back in the movie. Still, movie ticket sales are also important right? Him coming back will do wonders for the new movie, so it still feels like a gimmick.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Italy, the Green Boot
    Posts
    4,096

    Default

    The anime has always used "tricks" to attract the attention of the audience, like the various arcs. It's nothing new.
    MY MAIN FANFICS


    Super Smash Bros Clash: 6 chapters, ongoing | Pokémon Best Wishes Reloaded: 3 episodes, ongoing

    Self-made claimer of AntennaShipping {Meguri the Moogle (Original Character / Final Fantasy) x Captain Olimar (Pikmin)}
    and SteakShipping {Ness (MOTHER 2 / Earthbound) x Doremi (Ojamajo Doremi)}

  13. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ciccone View Post
    Well as others have pointed out, this all comes down to one basic thing: the quest for higher ratings. BW has had some of the lowest ratings yet, so of course the studio would want to show a popular Pokemon like Charizard now. DP had fairly good ratings so Charizard's return wasn't a necessity back then. Not that I'm trying to pit DP against BW, but I think it's safe to say that DP's ratings were superior to BW's; I don't need to see the ratings list to assume that much. :x
    I can agree with that, but it's still no denial that each saga has an ace in there sleeve to gain higher ratings, and that isn't because of rating losses but simply because the writers want higher ratings in general.

    A tonne of things returned in AG, and a tonne of things returned in DP, BW is doing the exact same the only difference being that it's all been saved for the very end because of how strict the first half was on references.

    Oh and by the way, I realize that Mewtwo's return isn't helpful to the anime's ratings given that he's coming back in the movie. Still, movie ticket sales are also important right? Him coming back will do wonders for the new movie, so it still feels like a gimmick.
    I understand regardless of Mewtwo being in the anime or movie that people see it as a gimmick.

    However i simply feel people are saying it only because it's a returning Pokemon. It's clear to see just how heavily Genesect relates to Mewtwo in the games and the fact it gained a signature move this generation. It's nothing to do with the anime writers, but the fact they are following exactly what material they've been given from the games.

    P.S, i think we'll also be getting a hint or two of Mewtwo in the anime aswell.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    At south of Kalos.
    Posts
    2,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    This thread should be closed.

    We don't need yet another BW complaint thread.
    I don't make the thread with the intention of bashing Best Wishes.

    To anyone, this thread serves the purpose of explainin if the writers are being too gimmicky lately and why the writers are promoting the series too much

    I don't mind the majority of gimmicks and I like many of the things promoted in it. The main issue with Best Wishes is the Unova League and not because Ash was Top 8. THe rest of any complaining is any minor

    The reason because there are too many gimmicks now is because in Unova the series was getting very boring and predictable We know until the Roxie detour the general plotline of the next few months in the anime. This isn't fun. Remember that in BW1 we know that they are following the game mapo so strictly. In Sinnoh, the writers had more liberties between the game places.
    Last edited by Eievui-Nymphia; 1st March 2013 at 9:45 PM.
    I think that Pokemon is beautiful and has its charm


    Serebii, Bulbagarden

    Note: I decided to not post post that had cause hate to me anymore. If you see one, please PM me and I will delete the moment I'm aware and I'm online.

    I need to take a break in the anime forum because these forum bored me.


  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Distant Valhalla
    Posts
    8,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fer92 View Post
    I don't make the thread with the intention of bashing Best Wishes.
    I didn't say you did that with an intention. It's just so painfully obvious what this discussion will turn into.

    Quote Originally Posted by fer92 View Post
    To anyone, this thread serves the purpose of explainin if the writers are being too gimmicky lately and why the writers are promoting the series too much
    The writers aren't being gimmicky and they have always promoted the series.


    ....and now, her story begins.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,799

    Default

    Well, you have to remember that the anime based off of the games. Black/white the games has not one single previous gen pokemon to catch until post elite four, and literally the only reference period in the games was just a pikachu sign in castelia, and that pikachu thing in nimbasa. The anime had to unfortunatley default to that, and ended ups suffering in some people's eyes. Although I feel the only issues had nothing to with anything other than bad characterization.
    Then when black/white 2 came out , the anime has to base everything off of the big and better than ever comeback of having half of every pokemon ever in the dex and a million references to previous gens.
    My first shiny ever caught!

    Named Admiral Sentret

  17. #42
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,420

    Default

    I really don't understand why people blame BW for stuff like this when all the other seasons also use gimmicks to get more ratings, it's just how the show works.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    30,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by diakyu View Post
    I really don't understand why people blame BW for stuff like this when all the other seasons also use gimmicks to get more ratings, it's just how the show works.
    What gimmicks did previous arcs use? Sure old characters and Pokemon came back but it was for a specific reason.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Distant Valhalla
    Posts
    8,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    What gimmicks did previous arcs use? Sure old characters and Pokemon came back but it was for a specific reason.
    And here there's no reason? Everything happens for a reason.


    ....and now, her story begins.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    I'm on a boat mother... what?
    Posts
    5,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    What gimmicks did previous arcs use? Sure old characters and Pokemon came back but it was for a specific reason.
    Charizard - Help against TP.
    Dawn - Junior Cup.

    How is that different from:

    Older Pokemon - Sinnoh League
    May - Wallace Cup

    or

    Original Trio - Last Frontier Brain+1st (Charizard)

    They all have specific reasons, they're not gimmick just because you guys don't like Best Wishes -_-

  21. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    What gimmicks did previous arcs use? Sure old characters and Pokemon came back but it was for a specific reason.
    Why did Misty return Cyber?

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    289

    Default

    This is just my opinion, but i think that BW1 wasn't all that great and the writers are just bringing back the old characters because they have ran out of ideas.
    Happiny is awesome


    Bands and artists I like at the moment:
    Radiohead
    Muse
    Boards Of Canada
    The Beatles
    Bjork
    Aphex Twin
    Nine Inch Nails
    Vampire Weekend
    Lady Gaga
    Gorillaz
    Brian Eno
    Coldplay

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Somewhere green
    Posts
    7,381

    Default

    Yes, and guess what? They're going to work too! N, Misty, Brock, Charizard, Mewtwo all look like gimmicks to save the show. But it doesn't erase all the crap Bad Writing threw up before bringing this stuff. If they were smart they'd have Misty and Brock actually appear in the flesh to really get ratings up. At this point I'd say go for it? What does the Pokemon anime really have to lose now? I just hope they get it altogether for XY and really save the show. BW is beyond saving for me.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by *futachimaru* View Post
    This is just my opinion, but i think that BW1 wasn't all that great and the writers are just bringing back the old characters because they have ran out of ideas.
    They "ran out of ideas". Right. The first time in years they haven't relied on a writing formula and started doing new things, and you call that them "running out of ideas".

    Just because they're ideas you don't like doesn't make them not ideas.

    Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan. View Post
    I just hope they get it altogether for XY and really save the show. BW is beyond saving for me.
    Yes, let's return to the safe and predictable days of AG and D/P with Ash, regional female Player Character co-star/fanservice provider, and Brock travelling around, meeting new people and Pokemon, having to deal with Team Rocket trying the same thing and repeating the same jokes over and over again, with many boring training episodes and the occasional plot-relevant ones like Gym battles, Contests, or regional evil team meetings. As long as it has awesome BATTLES and specifics that only the geeks in this fandom care about, it'll be great!
    Last edited by AgentPierce; 1st March 2013 at 10:19 PM.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    30,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haunter227 View Post
    Why did Misty return Cyber?
    To give closure to Togepi's story and show her adjusting to her life as a Gym leader. They didn't make a big deal out of her return otherwise as she only got 2 episodes in Hoenn. After that just a Pallet town visit which is relatively unimportant all things considered.

    They made a big deal promoting Dawn's return and her cameo had her doing nothing and losing to Iris early in a tournament.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •