Thread: Oarfish's Main Team

Default Oarfish's Main Team

First, I would like to say that I have read the rules and will try to abide by them.

Also, I will go ahead and say that I am not much of a status move person, preferring combat moves and offensive attacks. Please do not hold this against me :P.

My Team:

Hydreigon@Leftovers
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 sp attack/252 speed/4 hp
    -dark pulse
    -dragon pulse
    -surf
    -flamethrower

This is my lead, and as I said, and will probably say again, I am an offisneive type of person. I use dark pulse for STAB, along with dragon pulse. THey are my main attacks, taking care of pokemon such as other dragons. I use flamethrower for those pseky bug types, along with scizor and ferrothorn. I use surf for fire/ground/rock coverage, and it is a powerful move. Overall, I use this as a fast sweeper, attempting to outspeed other dragons/psychics.

Volcarona@Life Orb
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 252 sp attack/252 speed/4hp
    -morning sun
    -fiery dance
    -psychic
    -bug buzz

I use this as a counter to things that can easily faint Hydreigon, along with sweeping types such as dark/grass/other bugs. I use morning sun, (yes, I know it is my only status move on my team...), to recover health when it gets low, usually from rock or flying types. I use fiery dance for those bugs that faint Hydreigon, along with grasses and to up my sp attack. I use psychic for those fighting types that can also faint Hydreigon. Bug Buzz is a STAB for those grass/psychic/dark types.

Metagross@Rocky Helmet
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 attack/252 speed/4hp
    -earthquake
    -meteor mash
    -zen headbutt
    -hammer arm

This is a physical sweeper (yes, I know, too many pokemon that may be considered sweepers. I will look at suggestions that are other types of roles though, I must not be stubborn). I use meteor mash for those ice and rock types, also it is a good STAB and more powerful than bullet punch. I use zen headbuttt for the other STAB, especially for those fighitng and poison types. Earthquake is for basic power, along with electric and fire coverage. Hammer arm is another power move, taking care of dark and normal types.

Swampert@Wide Lens
    -earthquake
    -hammer arm (considering ice punch here for grass coverage)
    -waterfall
    -stone edge

I use edgequake for its combined coverage of multiple types, along with pure power. I use waterfall for STAB, and those fire/rock/ground types. Hammer are is for dark tpyes, along with more power. Overall, this is a main physical sweeper that I use for its defensive tpying and good defensive stats.

Thundurus@need item
    Nature: Bold
    -grass knot
    -thunderbolt
    -hp ice
    -dark pulse

Thunderbolt is a powerful STAB, along with flying coverage. Grass knot is for water/ground/rock types, espcially for ground/water dual types like Swampert. Hp Ice is for those dragon and grass types, giving me a second offensive attack against dragons, along with Gliscor and Garchomp. Dark pulse is just another good special attack that gives me more ghost/psychic coverage.

Gengar@need item
    -energy ball
    -shadow ball
    -thunderbolt
    -sludge bomb

Gengar is a main special sweeper, consisting of powerulf special offensive attacks. Shadow ball is a STAB move that works for psychics and other ghosts. Sludge bomb is for those grass types and is another STAB. Energy ball is for those dual water/ground or ground/rock types, taking care of their sp defense stats. Thunderbolt is for flying/water types.

Again, I am not much of a status user, but I will look at any status move suggestions. If I did anything wrong, please tell me and I will fix it.

You may post now.
    Sig Under Construction
    I have claimed Malamar and Mario Kart 8

Friend Code: 2680-9330-2666
    National Pokedex complete-Gen V / National Pokedex Complete-Gen VI
    Ground Type Pokémon Club Co-Leader
    Shiny Count: 150+
    Shiny Clauncher Magnet

Quote Originally Posted by oarfish View Post
    First, I would like to say that I have read the rules and will try to abide by them.

Also, I will go ahead and say that I am not much of a status move person, preferring combat moves and offensive attacks. Please do not hold this against me :P.

My Team:

Hydreigon@Leftovers
    EVs: 252 sp attack/252 speed/4 hp
    -dark pulse Use substitute here, it will ease your prediction and let you make an extra hit or two
    -dragon pulse
    -surf
    -flamethrower

This is my lead, and as I said, and will probably say again, I am an offisneive type of person. I use dark pulse for STAB, along with dragon pulse. THey are my main attacks, taking care of pokemon such as other dragons. I use flamethrower for those pseky bug types, along with scizor and ferrothorn. I use surf for fire/ground/rock coverage, and it is a powerful move. Overall, I use this as a fast sweeper, attempting to outspeed other dragons/psychics.

Volcarona@Life Orb
    -morning sun
    -fiery dance
    -psychic
    -bug buzz

Why no quiver dance?

I use this as a counter to things that can easily faint Hydreigon, along with sweeping types such as dark/grass/other bugs. I use morning sun, (yes, I know it is my only status move on my team...), to recover health when it gets low, usually from rock or flying types. I use fiery dance for those bugs that faint Hydreigon, along with grasses and to up my sp attack. I use psychic for those fighting types that can also faint Hydreigon. Bug Buzz is a STAB for those grass/psychic/dark types.

Metagross@Rocky Helmet
    EVs: 252 attack/252 Hp/4 spd
    -earthquake
    -meteor mash
    -zen headbutt
    -hammer arm

Metagross is slow so being bulky is better than fast. Also a banded set and using him as a wall breaker might be a better idea

This is a physical sweeper (yes, I know, too many pokemon that may be considered sweepers. I will look at suggestions that are other types of roles though, I must not be stubborn). I use meteor mash for those ice and rock types, also it is a good STAB and more powerful than bullet punch. I use zen headbuttt for the other STAB, especially for those fighitng and poison types. Earthquake is for basic power, along with electric and fire coverage. Hammer arm is another power move, taking care of dark and normal types.

Swampert@Wide Lens
    -earthquake
    -hammer arm (considering ice punch here for grass coverage)
    -waterfall
    -stone edge

Not the biggest fan of wise lense, try leftovers or rocky helmet. Once again this is a slow mon and it would prefer some bulk

I use edgequake for its combined coverage of multiple types, along with pure power. I use waterfall for STAB, and those fire/rock/ground types. Hammer are is for dark tpyes, along with more power. Overall, this is a main physical sweeper that I use for its defensive tpying and good defensive stats.

Thundurus@ Expert belt
    -grass knot
    -thunderbolt
    -hp ice
    -Volt switch/ Nasty plot

Those moves serve more utility, either giving you momentum in matches or making a lot of 2hko's into ohko's. Expert belt lets you fake a choice item

Thunderbolt is a powerful STAB, along with flying coverage. Grass knot is for water/ground/rock types, espcially for ground/water dual types like Swampert. Hp Ice is for those dragon and grass types, giving me a second offensive attack against dragons, along with Gliscor and Garchomp. Dark pulse is just another good special attack that gives me more ghost/psychic coverage.

Gengar@ Choice Scarf
    -energy ball
    -shadow ball
    -thunderbolt
    -sludge bomb

You needed a solid scarfer IMO. You may want to try focus blast sometime

Gengar is a main special sweeper, consisting of powerulf special offensive attacks. Shadow ball is a STAB move that works for psychics and other ghosts. Sludge bomb is for those grass types and is another STAB. Energy ball is for those dual water/ground or ground/rock types, taking care of their sp defense stats. Thunderbolt is for flying/water types.

Again, I am not much of a status user, but I will look at any status move suggestions. If I did anything wrong, please tell me and I will fix it.

You may post now.

Comments in bold

^You ever have that moment you realize you forgot to give credit? Sorry Irra!!^

Overall the team seems to lack the coverage an offensive team needs, so threats i see are

Keldeo- calm mind keldeo 6-0s your team with little effort. Nothing can outpace him and he can grab a calm mind most eassily on swampert but can on hydreigon and volcarona as psychic cant OHKO +1 keldeo. Scarfed and speced keldeo are huge threats as they coming and fire off attacks and switch out if needed.

thunderus therian- He can at least 6-1 your team, 6-0 with grass knot for swampert but most use focus blast. He grab an agility easily especially with rain up, tho he doesnt need it to sweep if its timid. Swampert is the only hope of stopping it, and its stopped by grass knot

Landorus- Similar to thunderus, he can sweep everyone but gengar, whos a 2hko, plus fails to outpace timid landorus so losses. Gengar is the only way to stop it but it needs to come in on KO

garchomp-Garchomp is another 6-0er, between outrage and earthquake you cant wall it. Furthermore, sub swords dance is even more threatening as it doesnt get locked in outrage

Salamence- similar to garchomp, tho normally scarfed so he can be forced out, but cant be handled really. Moxie lets it muscle through metagross with some a boost or 2, whos his only wall

Dragonite- A mix of garchomp and salamence, his access to dragon dance lets him power through everything with no effort. Nothing can stop him as he always carries fire punch or earthquake

gyarados- tho not a common threat, idk why as hes fantastic right now, he easily gets a dragon dance and then 6-0s with waterfall alone, but earthquake and bounce/ice fang give more coverage and a better way to deal with metagross the only thing that car really wall him

As for suggestions i recommend

jirachi>metagross
    as hes overall a better steel and adds some better buffering to your team for threats like latios

celebi>swampert as a way to handle the genies, keldeo and to an extent gyarados

Change hydreiegons moves to superpower-draco meteor-fire blast-roost and give it a life orb

volcarona wants quiver dance i suggest a set i`ve use with alot of success hp ice, fire blast, quiver dance, giga drain

thunderus therian to volt switch, thunder bolt, hp ice, focus blast with a choice scarf

gengar wants a sub and black sludge

Anyone else notice he is using thundurus, not the Therian version?

I agree with the changes already suggested.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Interesting opinions everyone. I appreciate them all and will do some research regarding them.
    Sig Under Construction
    I have claimed Malamar and Mario Kart 8

Friend Code: 2680-9330-2666
    National Pokedex complete-Gen V / National Pokedex Complete-Gen VI
    Ground Type Pokémon Club Co-Leader
    Shiny Count: 150+
    Shiny Clauncher Magnet