Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Dento getting left in the dark here?

Hybrid View

Default Why is Dento getting left in the dark here?

Its like hes become D/P Brock 2.0, both he and Iris are sidekicks yet for some reason they are giving Iris special treatment, why is that? I'm confused. I'm not trying to hate on Iris, you'd think they'd give Dento as much as Iris is all. Do the writers hate male sidekicks or some thing?
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

Hm, I watched some episodes and I do have to disagree with Dento being a Takeshi 2.0. I mean as far as I know, the guys actively following his dreams (not to say Takeshi wasnt) and then he's not as repetitive. As for being left behind.... yeah I could see a bit of a pattern there.
    岩根雅明=♡

Because Iris has a goal and Episode N and BW2 haven't had many comedy & or Sommelier COTD helping episodes. Since Dento's goal isn't touched on much and is left rather vague the writers don't do much with it compared to Iris's with the whole Shaga and Dragon Village plot, the Kairyu disobedience, the upcoming Ononokusu thing, the whole Reshiram/Zekrom thing, N's trust and everything with Pokemon and humans.(Iris and Doryuzu/Kairyu's relationship) And the fact Kairyu makes an excellent rival for Lizardon. We most likely have to be patient for comedic or COTD episodes after Episode N for more Dento focus because Dento just isn't a plot-heavy character so he doesn't participate much in this arc unfortunately or get any development. Dento shines when he's around comedy stuff mainly. It doesn't help none of his Pokemon have episode-inducing personalities or problems.(Emonga's & Tsutarja's cattiness & bad ***** nature, Kairyu being a rough teacher for Denryuu, etc.)
    Last edited by Doryuzu; 3rd March 2013 at 1:30 AM.

Because Iris isn't staying for 6th gen while Cilan does actually have a chance. If he is staying, then that explains Iris's more focus right now.

They aren't gonna equally divide the screentime if one is leaving and one is staying. That wouldn't be fair to Iris.

But if Cilan does leave with her, then it basically means the writers didn't care to use him.

Quote Originally Posted by HatersGonnaHate View Post
    Because Iris isn't staying for 6th gen while Cilan does actually have a chance. If he is staying, then that explains Iris's more focus right now.

They aren't gonna equally divide the screentime if one is leaving and one is staying. That wouldn't be fair to Iris.

But if Cilan does leave with her, then it basically means the writers didn't care to use him.
    So, in summary, if both Iris & Cilan leaves at the end of BW:
    - If Cilan gets screwed, it´s fine
    - If Iris gets screwed, it´s unfair

Quote Originally Posted by Squirtle_007 View Post
    So, in summary, if both Iris & Cilan leaves at the end of BW:
    - If Cilan gets screwed, it´s fine
    - If Iris gets screwed, it´s unfair
    Your ignorance is beyond repair. The way I personally see it is if both of them had equal focus, then it would basically confirm both are leaving.

Since that isn't the case, the ideal situation for me is that Iris gets the focus for the remainder of BW and then Cilan continues on to the next region. But if he is leaving, then I have no issue with him getting focus now. It all comes down to whether the writers care to give it to him.

Because he is. :/ the writers are too busy focusing on other characters. derp.

Wasn't everyone on the forums complaining six months ago how Cilan constantly shafts Iris and is a screentime thief?

I'm sure Cilan will get his day. Something related to being a connoisseur, whether that be him battling Burgundy again or testing to be ranked S-class. To answer the thread's topic, Iris is probably getting a lot of focus because she's the most recent games' Champion.

Well Iris's goal can be much more focused on easier. Sommeliers are a strange profession. How do you exactly get from A-Class to S-Class? Iris's goal is to become a Dragon Master, which means it needs to have battles. Blame the writers for having Cilan start off as a badass. He started in the second to highest class as a Sommelier, had a Dwebble/Crustle that plowed through everything up until the Junior Cup, which was his last notable battle, being 6 months already. All he can get focused on is Fishing/Detective/etc-Sommelier.

Why don't they just introduce an S-Class Sommelier already that beats the crap out of him & he goes to question himself for a few episodes..... Then Cabernet comes in as an A-Class Sommelier & defeats him as well, why not? Now that's some good development there.-_-
    - Claimed:

-XY, already better than Best Wishes.xD

Pokemon Y Team:

Greninja
    Talonflame
    Pikachu
    Venusaur
    Flygon
    Aggron

3DS FC: 1993-7360-7585

I really don't see Cilan leaving without having a big screen time. His time will come. If not then the writers couldn't give less of a crap about him.
    Ash's team right now

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

If you deny any sort of existence of Iris's hair, put this into your sig (started by 5ilVer)

Because they are leading up to have Iris leave after BW is over unlike Cilan.

Besides Cilan can have his moments int he final arc as soon as they are getting closer to Striaton City and the Connoisseur Association where they take exams. Also Cilan's lack of captures may have to do with them wantign to fill his spots in the next region without leaving Crustle or Stunfisk behind.

There's no reason to leave Cilan in the dark really when we have a tonne of fillers with no character focus half the time, but regardless the writers seem to be doing it anyway and the reason is simple.

Iris is almost guaranteed to leave so all of the secondary character development after Ash is directed to her, Cilan will probably stay for Gen VI and get his fair share.

It's because Ash is the main character and the writers like girls more than the older guy.

Coz they are done playing with him

I don't know. It annoys me because I want to see my favorite character do something other than smile and cellular respirate.

But at least he was funny in the Cheren epi, and he had a small little moment in epi 6.

And what even worries me more is if he DOES go to gen 6 who's to say he won't play the same role in BW2? :x
    Last edited by JennaJayfeather; 2nd March 2013 at 3:13 PM.

“...This is a tricky problem, huh. I really, really want to see the other Heroes... and if it works out, I want to make friends with them! If I made friends with six Heroes, I’d be an awesome mage! We could even conquer the world!”
    -Flatt Escardos, Fate Strange Fake
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204
    tumblr|fanfiction

Reason: the anime promotes the games. More specially, because the roles of Cilan and Iris in the games.

In BW, Cilan is the main Gym leader of the Striation Trio in Black and White. And Oshawott is the most popular starter what caused that Cilan is getting popularity. However, Iris is only the 8th Gym leader and only in Pokemon White (Black is more popular) what caused that Iris isn't that popular. In it, Cilan gets more screentime than Iris.

In B2W2, the situation is very different. Cilan isn't a Gym Leader anymore while Iris is Champion* in the both games. Although Iris can't be CHampion in the anime because that means that Iris must age (impossible now) this caused that Iris were more popular than Cilan.

Notice that when a character doesn't really promoted the games the characters gets less screentime than usual like with Brock in AG and DP.

Ash is officially Red** in anime version, and unofficially Brendan, Lucas and Hilbert***, meaning that always is promoting the games and it is always popular.

*This is why Iris in the anime got a 600 BST pokemon It's Dragonite because that thing it's popular.

**Ash acts like a Red who travel for three regions, Kanto, Orange Islands and Johto. To Ash start adapting other game characters, Ash and Piakchu are "resetted".

***Because the writers acan't reallistic promotes the sequels in the anime Ash is acting like Hilbert during all the generation.

@Haunter, @Taidow, Cilan's lack of screentime don't help him staying for Gen VI at all.
    Last edited by Eievui-Nymphia; 2nd March 2013 at 3:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonfangirl View Post
    Its like hes become D/P Brock 2.0, both he and Iris are sidekicks yet for some reason they are giving Iris special treatment, why is that? I'm confused. I'm not trying to hate on Iris, you'd think they'd give Dento as much as Iris is all. Do the writers hate male sidekicks or some thing?
    Cilan isn't being left in the dark. He's had episodes for himself relating to his goals and just expanding on his character.

Episodes that focus on Cilan in some way:
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...using_on_Cilan
    I don't know about the Cheren episode, but most of the others did focus on him, fleshing out his character overall, being a sommelier of a few different things and having those fleshed out.

Episodes that focus on Iris in some way:
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...cusing_on_Iris
    Only a few more then Cilan.

Cilan might not be getting anything right now, but there's a bunch going on the writers might just wait after Episode N to deal with him some more.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

I think Cilan would have been more popular if they didn't stupidly mispronounce his name.
    Pokemon: The Theme of Secrets

At long last, I am returning with my Fan-Fic. Just need to find a better host. Blogger has done its course but I need just a little more recognition.

I freaking HATE "Mega" Evolution.

I actually think that it might be due to Cilan getting much more battling focus in the beginning, when Iris had nothing she could battle with. Excadrill was cocooned, Axew was too immature and Emolga was too flaky. Now that she's grown and her Pokemon are better-trained, she's making up for lost time whilst showing off how much she's improved since the beginning. Notice how Axew has more battles as of late.

With Cilan, he still uses Pansage semi-regularly, and Crustle had tons of focus. Cilan himself didn't really improve as a trainer, he just brought out the potential in his Pokemon. And since his goal is less battle-oriented than Iris's, he was given a chance to sit back and show off his knowledge rather than skills.

I know I'm dumb.

At least he has loads of screentime, that's absolutely remarkable.
    "My underrated tastes are no fun at all. However that's how I am. Peace."

Quote Originally Posted by knux-the-killer View Post
    At least he has loads of screentime, that's absolutely remarkable.
    Forget screentime. I would want him to get more development just so we can learn more about Pokemon Connoisseurs. We still don't know what S-ranks and B-ranks are like.

Quote Originally Posted by fer92 View Post
    @Haunter, @Taidow, Cilan's lack of screentime don't help him staying for Gen VI at all.
    Did not stop Brock form returning in DP.
    Lack of screentime actually helps him stay for Gen 6 even more.

Quote Originally Posted by PokeMaster366 View Post
    Forget screentime. I would want him to get more development just so we can learn more about Pokemon Connoisseurs. We still don't know what S-ranks and B-ranks are like.
    Cilan explained their purpose:
    S-Class: Highest of the Connoisseur classes. They are experts and may open their own shop.
    A-Class: They are known due to their ability and they may open their own shop.
    B-Class: They are readers and may be assistants but still may not open their own shop.
    C-Class: Lowest of the Connoisseur classes. They are beginners and are typically only assistants of an A-Class or above Connoisseurs.

I don't see what else they can really do, we know what Sommelier do, we know the rankings and their basic roles. Aside from seeing some of the B-Rank and S-Rank there's not much to really expand on, and showing a B-Rank doesn't seem like the most necessary thing in the world anyways.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

Quote Originally Posted by gliscor&yanmega View Post
    Cilan explained their purpose:
    S-Class: Highest of the Connoisseur classes. They are experts and may open their own shop.
    A-Class: They are known due to their ability and they may open their own shop.
    B-Class: They are readers and may be assistants but still may not open their own shop.
    C-Class: Lowest of the Connoisseur classes. They are beginners and are typically only assistants of an A-Class or above Connoisseurs.

I don't see what else they can really do, we know what Sommelier do, we know the rankings and their basic roles. Aside from seeing some of the B-Rank and S-Rank there's not much to really expand on, and showing a B-Rank doesn't seem like the most necessary thing in the world anyways.
    That's exactly the glory of Cilan already being a high-rank Connoisseur. He doesn't need a tonne of actual improvements or development, simply episodes dedicated to him one way or another.

His goal is perfectly set up for him to travel around with Ash because his goal that he's working towards doesn't exactly require him to stay behind, meaning he can travel with Ash without feeling like his goal is being messed with opposed to how Misty and Brocks goals.

I wouldn't say how Cilan is being left behind, at least not to the point that you could get feeling how hes in background not doing anything. He still provides comedy and dynamic interaction in cast with his personality, use his pokemon like Pansage contributing to episode plots or when needing to battle villains etc.

Not so long ago he had tag battle with Ash against Soren and Ricko, helping them when trying to catch water type pokemon. And if i recall right he played some interesting role in Cheren debut episode too.

If you ask me its more that writers are now balancing things out after Cilan being much more prominent in first half of Unova sometimes overshadowing female part of group. By giving slightly more focus to Iris now since she is likely set up to leave cast after BW series making sure to give her sufficient amount of growth which could allow to partially close down her story and sent her away.

In comparison Cilan was barely developed as far as his connoisseur career goes, there were left unanswered quite a few things about procedure and way you can gain higher rank as trainer which identify compatibility between pokemon and their trainers to see if they're matched for each other.
    He was left undefined as character on large part, not being build up for anything with future and direction in which he might go being highly precarious at this point.
    Making it certain to some degree how writers might keep him pass 5th generation to add more balance and stability in main cast by giving viewers another familiar face beside Ash, in fulfilling role of older care taker, while being fleshed out more as character.

Than again more coherent and continuity based story as well stable cast was never one of writers main priorities, so things could go either way for 6th gen.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunter227 View Post
    His goal is perfectly set up for him to travel around with Ash because his goal that he's working towards doesn't exactly require him to stay behind, meaning he can travel with Ash without feeling like his goal is being messed with opposed to how Misty and Brocks goals.
    As far as Misty and Brock go not necessarily.
    Perhaps in Brock case since studying to become doctor usually requires stay in one place. Although there exist traveling doctors and he could always go on adventure to learn about new ways of haling consulting with other docs but i digress.

But as far as Misty go since her goal is to become strongest water trainer in world being showed how her dream requires traveling and entering high level tournaments if you want to rank up as trainer with gym not being sufficient, there is no harm in going on venture to learn new things and advance like Wallace, Koga, or currently Cilan does.

Quote Originally Posted by gliscor&yanmega View Post
    I think that they could make something like Cilan helping a B-Rank Connoisseur in becoming a A-Rank. Maybe it that way he will be incited into improving himself (and will give development to both the COTD and him), while a S-Rank may inspire him. I know that the goal is quite vague, but I think that something may come out of it.
    MY MAIN FANFICS

Super Smash Bros Clash: 6 chapters, ongoing | Pokémon Best Wishes Reloaded: 3 episodes, ongoing

Check out my little sprite gallery by clicking here!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast