Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 143

Thread: Why is Dento getting left in the dark here?

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    6,170

    Default

    ^

    Not about change. Flaws are flaws no matter how endearing they are, because you could say all together that's what they are for. It's to engage the viewer into the character. Sometimes for stories and sometimes for humor. When flaws are overcome, that is character development like you said. Dento didn't *technically* one could argue though.

    So tl;dr:

    Dento has flaws, but he has not developed from them. But that's ok because he is a fun, energetic character. He doesn't need to in order to be enjoyable.
    Last edited by JennaJayfeather; 3rd March 2013 at 5:12 AM.
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirtle_007 View Post
    And an example of a "well written" Pokémon anime character would be ...
    Ash (before AG/DP)
    Brock (see above)
    Iris
    Misty

    I also agree with TGB.
    Last edited by moneylesswario; 3rd March 2013 at 5:12 AM.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marioluigifan05 View Post
    Ash (before AG/DP)
    Brock (see above)
    Iris
    Misty
    I will give you one. Hint he is male.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    1,503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marioluigifan05 View Post
    Ash (before AG/DP)
    Brock (see above)
    Iris
    Misty

    I also agree with TGB.
    Ash: Yes, I´ve always thought that he should left after Orange Islands and change the main character just like in Pokémon Special
    Brock: I don´t want to get another warning so I will just say "WTF!?"
    Iris: That guy says that BW is vomit and the creators of that season should commit sepukku for doing such an abomination so ... that would upset him
    Misty: Togepi was her doom, and she got a very crappy ending

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirtle_007 View Post
    Ash: Yes, I´ve always thought that he should left after Orange Islands and change the main character just like in Pokémon Special
    Brock: I don´t want to get another warning so I will just say "WTF!?"
    Iris: That guy says that BW is vomit and the creators of that season should commit sepukku for doing such an abomination so ... that would upset him
    Misty: Togepi was her doom, and she got a very crappy ending
    Ash: I must agree, they've dragged him on for far too long. I don't support character replacing, but I don't have much faith in the writers to make him good again.
    Iris: That is some awesome vomit!! :P Hah, kidding
    Misty: Agreed about the crappy ending, as for Togepi, I disagree.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Pokemon world, I wish ._...XD
    Posts
    1,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirtle_007 View Post
    And an example of a "well written" Pokémon anime character would be ...
    depends on what you view as well written. :/...

    No matter how it good it gets, people will complain about it being able to be better. Its called "endless desire". XD I've seen it where some of the "best" and "most well written" things are criticized beyond belief just based upon preference.

    So really. I could consider Ash well written by this annoying ever-changing (Or subjective) standard. He fufills his purpose to his audience no? >:/

    I Consider Dawn to be well written enough. I consider Iris to be written well enough. I consider Dento to be written well enough for me to like him. Which is the point of a show and such. (You know, to invoke an emotional response. :P)

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    I will give you one. Hint he is male.
    lol whut? who is you talking about? XD
    When refering to learning..."In other words, groups are not where ideas are born. Groups are where ideas are evaluated."
    My eyes! (my eyes!) are filled with curiosity! You think! (You think!) that you have power over me! In this life! (This life!) There’s no room for you and me! So turn around and face the day with me!
    Such a sexy song. Urgh.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lysandre's bed.
    Posts
    47,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    -Confident/borderline cocky to where he tells his opponents his plans
    That's funny because a while ago when we were discussing the way Cilan becomes arrogant when he battles people like Burgundy, I could've sworn that certain people defended that part of his personality claiming that it made him interesting and that it wasn't really an issue. How things change.

    I don't think he's changed at all to begin with, so I'm actually confused as to why some people think he has. Like, he was the same when he debuted as he is now. I don't think he learned anything new or changed as a person. The same could be said about previous male companions like Brock and Tracey; the guys just don't develop the way the girls do for some reason. I'm not sure if that's intentional or a coincidence, but it's definitely worth looking into. I just want to know what it is that makes some people believe Cilan has matured as a Connoisseur.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    6,170

    Default

    ^ Well I was just taking general things that people can think of as a flaw (I guess they don't have to lol).

    But I don't know. I guess because when I hear "Dento has no flaws" I don't really think of his wiser-Sommelier side, the first image to pop in my head of him is the scene where his face is planted against a screen looking at the "driver's seat." That's not normal lol. He just feels so childish when he's supposed to be the "mature one". I guess that could be another reason he feels like he has "flaws" to me, but this probably comes with how much you like the character. I mean, when you like something you take a lot of notice into them, maybe even too much but that's more of my opinion, I guess.
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Route 110
    Posts
    217

    Default

    The writers are probably setting him aside at the moment because they have plans for him that can't be fulfilled at the current place in the show. Plus, Iris most likely has less time left. Her place is in Unova, mainly in Opelucid, where she will eventually hone her skills and become champion. Cilan, though, doesn't continue with being a gym leader, as shown in BW2. He'll try to become a better Connoisseur. If you think about it, Burgundy and Cilan also speak a little bit of French, I believe. The new Gen VI region is supposedly based off of France. Maybe that is the origin place of the Connoisseurs, where the best go to complete their training and become an S-Rank. Cilan could go with Ash and probably have a huge role.
    I've gotten into IV Breeding. I'll breed any Pokemon that can, just ask and I'll see what I can do!


    What happened after Ruby and Sapphire? This is my interpretation. Click the banner to read!
    Latest: Chapter 5: Power Plant Problems
    The banner was made by Brutaka

    Friend safari:
    1676-3751-9706

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aloasa View Post
    in other words CILAN AND ASH FOR GEN 6 ANIME
    No thanks, Cilan can leave for the next region. Give Ash another male companion.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,935

    Default

    I like Cilan but I think he would have worked better back in DP when Dawn was on the show. If DP was Ash, Dawn, Cilan....DP would have been more entertaining to watch.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,167

    Default

    As far as Cilan goes everything he did so far portrayed him as competent and confident person in almost every aspect. He is good at fishing,resolving mysteries,cooking without experiencing any failures not having to prove himself to anyone or overcome some obstacle.

    Some may say Cilan lack of any real flaws may be because he isn't intended to go through big development with main purpose lying in being like older caretaker/big brother of group who cooks, takes care of them and brings stability in main cast while bring comedy and entertainment value in cast with his fun quirks.
    That's true, though on negative side this hinders his potential to grow further in character sense being easier for such type of characters to end up static and stale eventually due to not having any real flaws or set path to shake him up providing new, fresh twists to story and characterization.

    I guess in end Cilan saving grace which gives him potential to last for multiple generations is extreme versatility he has as character having various quirks and hobbies. Making all that easier for writers to keep him active and take in new directions through his various interests which could evolve in something bigger to compensate for passiveness of his original goal at times.

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirtle_007 View Post
    Ehh ... OK, we have a winner

    May rules (n_n)!
    That's highly subjective. Every character has its share of well and badly written moments.

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirtle_007 View Post
    Ash: Yes, I´ve always thought that he should left after Orange Islands and change the main character just like in Pokémon Special
    Personally i thought Ash was handled pretty good in Hoenn being refreshing to see him in light of more mature trainer taking role of mentor to may, and to some smaller extent in Sinnoh.

    Misty: Togepi was her doom, and she got a very crappy ending
    Agreed about ending, but as far as Togepi goes i disagree. If anything Togepi played valuable role being step toward Misty becoming more mature and independent breaking from sister shadow and learning to appreciate more her friends or pokemon. While retaining her charm and enjoyable quirks still being full of fire and snark in more subtle manner.

    In characterization Misty was one of few which stayed interesting after development imo with changing proving to be positive to her in Johto, chronicles and AG enriching personality. She was definitely complex imo.

    Quote Originally Posted by aloasa View Post
    I saw that Misty was very crap on in Johto, I still think that it should of been Crystal the one that accompany Ash on Johto and just use her for Kanto and Orange Islands, the only reason why she was there was because of the fact that Gold and Silver included Kanto gym leaders, but I digress
    Its hard to view for me someone as "crap" considering she received more development, battling and focus on her own story and dreams in Johto being on large part source of appeal and humor in Johto making several episodes which would be otherwise mediocre in watchable ones.

    Such view imo only encourage uncreative writing, since instead of having writers confront their mistakes investing more in someone recapturing his appeal among viewers all problems are swept under the rug by choosing easier way of introducing someone else who goes through basic growth ending in same boat. Not being forced to learn on mistakes they made with someone coming up with innovative, fresh ways to keep him fun and build on storyline giving them more substantial growth. Something which never happens because character always leave after learning basics.

    But to each their own i guess.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 3rd March 2013 at 11:03 AM.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,633

    Default

    I like Dento, but disLike the way the writers handle him lately. . . He was a good character but they are barely mentioning his Connoisseur skills etc.

    No captures no Poke developments no progresses. I hope he stays one more gen. Better him than an other fast introduced male character.
    My Final B2-normal mode- team:

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EmphaticPikachu View Post


    lol whut? who is you talking about? XD
    Kanto Charizard ofc.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    outside of the walls
    Posts
    792

    Default

    I honestly don't think that Cilan is in the dark that much, but I'm a little surprised that I haven't seen anyone else bring this up;

    Why is Cilan afraid of Purrloin? This issue has only been touched a few times, but it seems like there has to be some important reason why. Perhaps that certain character trait will recieve some central focus in the Plasma arc, seeing they're fond of Dark-Types--at least in the game, anyways...I'm not sure if they follow that in the anime.

        Spoiler:- Some Things:

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonfangirl View Post
    Its like hes become D/P Brock 2.0, both he and Iris are sidekicks yet for some reason they are giving Iris special treatment, why is that? I'm confused. I'm not trying to hate on Iris, you'd think they'd give Dento as much as Iris is all. Do the writers hate male sidekicks or some thing?
    Newsflash, Dento was always Brock 2.0 after the Clubplosion. The writers just don't know how to do male companions or female rivals any better than they have always been handling them. Poorly. This is why gymleader boys shouldn't be on the show. This is why I like Tracey more than both of them.

    Look another thread where we get to Cilan complainers complaing about Iris complainers. I've gotten to the point where I just don't care anymore, about Iris' rushed and meandered "development" or Cilan's lack-there-of, and repetitive gimmiks. If this series get's even worse as it goes through the years, it wouldn't surprise me. Far as I'm concerned all the characters in Best Wishes are poorly written, and lack decent development.
    This. The writing for Best Wishes and their characters have been aweful since day one. It started with Ash, then Trip then everyone else. They it started to get worse for some(Burgundy) and even worse for others(Cameron). I wasn't surprised that Cilan was going to be another one of those characters that the writers seemed like they forgot or just don't want to get a care to.

    I like Cilan but I think he would have worked better back in DP when Dawn was on the show. If DP was Ash, Dawn, Cilan....DP would have been more entertaining to watch.
    You really don't know that Cyber. He might have been just as over the top as he was in the first part of BW and boring in BW2. Just because he interacted with Dawn well in Unova doesn't mean he would have in Sinnoh. Besides, Cilan is abit like Dawn in a sort of sparkly type of way. They would have clashed too much with each other now looking back.
    Last edited by Caseydia; 6th March 2013 at 6:54 PM.

    My ideal battle ever!

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    DP brock is much smarter than cilan.

    Cilan's time will come remeber a farewell ep is always about the char leaving.

  18. #68

    Default

    Once you leave Ash, you're certain to succeed in your goal.

    But even then, Cilan seems a little bit too perfect right from the get-go.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    But even then, Cilan seems a little bit too perfect right from the get-go.
    I must agree. There's really nothing for him to accomplish, making him more uninteresting (in my opinion).
    Last edited by moneylesswario; 4th March 2013 at 6:29 PM.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    DP brock is much smarter than cilan.
    That's because he has been on for a long time. However that didn't stop him from becoming more bland and boring.

    My ideal battle ever!

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    That's because he has been on for a long time. However that didn't stop him from becoming more bland and boring.
    As bland and boring as he got, he's still better than Cilan :P

  22. #72
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    13,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marioluigifan05 View Post
    As bland and boring as he got, he's still better than Cilan :P
    Well when Dent is the opposite of bland and boring, I don't know how Takeshi can be considered a better character but sure, if bland and boring is better then funny and interesting.

    Oh this is just a matter of opinion I forgot!

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi_Plunge View Post
    Well when Dent is the opposite of bland and boring, I don't know how Takeshi can be considered a better character but sure, if bland and boring is better then funny and interesting.

    Oh this is just a matter of opinion I forgot!
    I don't find Cilan entertaining. In fact, ironically, all of their attempts to make him "stand out" or whatever made him bland and boring, at least that's how I feel.

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Kalos
    Posts
    4,731

    Default

    I think Cilan's just starting to wane a bit in entertainment because his sparkling, spinning, sommelier gags, etc. have been done a fair amount by this point and I would desperately prefer some character development, depth, or plot-line in his character. They did give him a rival after all, I just want him to be challenged as a character and struggle in a way. I find that more enriching than him trying to find a lost Cubchoo tbh. I was expecting him to have lost to Burgundy at least once by now, Dewott battling and defeating Pansage but that might end Burgundy's motive for being his rival since she's only his rival for revenge's sake. I would at least like him to have development.
    Last edited by Doryuzu; 4th March 2013 at 11:22 PM.

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marioluigifan05 View Post
    As bland and boring as he got, he's still better than Cilan :P
    I'm so glad we can all agree that this is only an opinion.

    My ideal battle ever!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •