Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Is our Protagonist too weak?

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    BW showed us that the writers made Ash pretty stupid, despite the fact he has a lot of strong Pokemon he could use. That awesome Krookodile...

If he had used that scary-*ss Ursaring against Ash, he would've won.
    I always imagined that the reason why Paul didn't use his Lake Acuity team against Ash was because Ash was too familiar with that team and probably would have developed a game plan to beat that lineup. Plus his own Sinnoh Pokemon have evolved/become stronger, and so Paul sought to counter that by bringing out fresh faces that Ash may not be able to handle.

The only thing I wish was that Paul used his Torterra in the battle, because it feels a bit incomplete beating Paul without also topping his strongest Pokemon. But meh...Ash didn't use Charizard, so I guess it's fair.
    "We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven. That which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts. Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

Ash isn't a bad trainer according to Snivy. Why? Because it was said that Snivy left her previous trainer because it was a bad trainer, and that Snivy's usually left bad trainers. And last time I checked Snivy was still with Ash...

Just kidding xD
    Last edited by Lucas MV; 18th March 2013 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas MV View Post
    Ash isn't a bad trainer according to Snivy. Why? Because it was said that Snivy left her previous trainer because it was a bad trainer, and that Snivy's usually left bad trainers. And last time I checked Snivy was still with Ash...
    There are multiple types of bad. One is the type that would abuse and starve a pokemon, the other is an incompetent trainer who has to struggle to win against the most basic of opponents. Ash is type 2 although if he was to turn type 1 I would welcome it.

No, he's not.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Rest does heal a pokemon back to full health. It's been like that since gen 1.

Because its cheap pandering for nostalgia over sense also its not having the four "brothers" beat Brandon. It's more like the 3 babies. Since the only real fighter was wasted early on. YOU DONT WASTE YOUR GOOD MON FIRST ASHY BOY.
    To him, that is and always will be Pikachu -_-....
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

In Ash's mind, he believes Pikachu can take on anything.
    My deviantArt

U mad bro?

Quote Originally Posted by deathseer View Post
    In Ash's mind, he believes Pikachu can take on anything.
    And for the most part, the writers let him (Pikachu that is)
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

As long as he keeps restarting, and Pikachu is in flux, he'll never get anywhere, growth during the region or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Almighty Zard View Post
    As long as he keeps restarting, and Pikachu is in flux, he'll never get anywhere, growth during the region or not.
    This is what I've been saying but the writers will continue to spam and reset him.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Almighty Zard View Post
    Ash and Pikachu are inseparable, if one sucks, they both suck. At least Pikachu losing to Onix in the first gym of Sinnoh made sense, losing to Panpour was an absolute joke by the writers
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    Ash and Pikachu are inseparable, if one sucks, they both suck. At least Pikachu losing to Onix in the first gym of Sinnoh made sense, losing to Panpour was an absolute joke by the writers
    To this day I would have preferred to see Pidove losing to Panpour instead. At least it would have made more sense.

Losing to Onix made sense.. Losing to screech was an absolute joke by the writers.

Losing to Onix made sense.. Losing to screech was an absolute joke by the writers.
    Yes, so was losing to a vigoroth after the sliver Conference, a Elekid after the Battle Frontier and of course to a Snivy after facing a dude with legendaries. It's the same thing over and over if it's not something done already.
    Last edited by Caseydia; 22nd March 2013 at 6:09 PM.

My ideal battle ever!

So you wanted Pikachu's Electric attacks to just magically work on it? Iron Tail and Quick Attack can only take you so far, no matter how powerful you are. Like my Torterra in Platinum, it's my most powerful but it's not like it's gonna be able to take Candice's Abamosnow and Frostlass.

I think he was complaining about how he lost to Screech, a move that doesn't even directly hurt you, not about losing to Onix.
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Yuyama: "Yes, I thought it'd be better if it was a different Mewtwo."
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Spin Attaxx View Post
    I think he was complaining about how he lost to Screech, a move that doesn't even directly hurt you, not about losing to Onix.
    I suppose Screech gives you a nasty earbleeding that cripples you to the point you're within an inch of your lif-

Oh wait, there's no blood in this anime. Yeah, Screech doesn't make sense.

Honestly so long as the writer's meander about with the plot, I don't think Ash will ever become a real Trainer. It's depressing whenever he prattles on about "Pokemon master" this and "YAY we'll get stronger" that when we know that won't happen. I get that it's a kids show but with kids shows like Avatar/Korra that actually show the heroes getting better, it shows that the writers are just lazy. And don't give that "advertisement" BS because that's the flimsiest excuse for laziness ever.

Ash is weak because the writers want to keep him weak so he can keep traveling all the regions as if he was a noob. Same reason why he is still 10. Ash already has the power house pokemon he needs to make a serious run at being champion. It's just a matter of keeping him noobish so the series can keep going.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Honestly so long as the writer's meander about with the plot, I don't think Ash will ever become a real Trainer. It's depressing whenever he prattles on about "Pokemon master" this and "YAY we'll get stronger" that when we know that won't happen. I get that it's a kids show but with kids shows like Avatar/Korra that actually show the heroes getting better, it shows that the writers are just lazy. And don't give that "advertisement" BS because that's the flimsiest excuse for laziness ever.
    The excuse is flimsy, but it is completely right. Shows like korra are centered all on the characters and story because all it is the show. Pokemon first and foremost is and alwayd will be for the games. The anime helps promotes the games and always will until the end, so they won't ever drantically change ash or the formula. The manga is the one there for the story because of its overall very small popularity conpared to the other big two.
    My first shiny ever caught!

Named Admiral Sentret

Quote Originally Posted by yuoke View Post
    so they won't ever drantically change ash or the formula.
    They definitely won't but I don't believe that the story has to suffer for it. The games are still going to sell and the Anime shouldn't be so reliant on Ash and a beaten to death formula to help spread word of Pokemon.

In addition, it makes Ash's claims about becoming a Pokemon Master more depressing as we know that it'll never happen. Maybe it's building up to an ending where Ash is a failure but given the Anime's overly-idealized, overly-optimistic tone, they'll sugarcoat it as always. It's like they're maliciously rubbing it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    Ash is weak because the writers want to keep him weak so he can keep traveling all the regions as if he was a noob. Same reason why he is still 10. Ash already has the power house pokemon he needs to make a serious run at being champion. It's just a matter of keeping him noobish so the series can keep going.
    Because the writers are deathly afraid of trying new things. God forbid, they try and put more elbow grease into their jobs.

If it seems like I'm too angry, it's because I'm into writing and can get a little more than passionate when it comes to things like these.
    Last edited by matt0044; 26th March 2013 at 3:00 AM.

To be fair, Cress and Panpour had a strategy specially designed to deal with Electric types.

And for Pidove losing to Panpour instead: Nah. Even though Pikachu gets used a lot and she doesn't, using an Electric type would have been the logical choice.

Quote Originally Posted by yuoke View Post
    The excuse is flimsy, but it is completely right. Shows like korra are centered all on the characters and story because all it is the show. Pokemon first and foremost is and alwayd will be for the games. The anime helps promotes the games and always will until the end, so they won't ever drantically change ash or the formula. The manga is the one there for the story because of its overall very small popularity conpared to the other big two.
    Uh, in case you haven't noticed, those shows that he/she mentioned don't have almost up t0 75 popular games, makes millions of dollars advertizing cute creatures all the time, and haven't been on for years. If they didn't then they would have the sense to have the show centered on all the characters and story. So why don't we not compare them to make it easier on ourselves.

In addition, it makes Ash's claims about becoming a Pokemon Master more depressing as we know that it'll never happen. Maybe it's building up to an ending where Ash is a failure but given the Anime's overly-idealized, overly-optimistic tone, they'll sugarcoat it as always. It's like they're maliciously rubbing it in.
    First of all we really don't know if it will ever happen because they aren't any closure to finish making all of the pokemon they can think of yet. Once they do, I;m sure they will find a better way for Ash to make someone like you satified even though the show isn't really directed to your group of fans.

Because the writers are deathly afraid of trying new things. God forbid, they try and put more elbow grease into their jobs.

If it seems like I'm too angry, it's because I'm into writing and can get a little more than passionate when it comes to things like these.
    Since you keep thinking that nothing will get better, you can always stop watching and gravitate to another show that will make you not get so angry over a kids cartoon show.

My ideal battle ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    First of all we really don't know if it will ever happen because they aren't any closure to finish making all of the pokemon they can think of yet. Once they do, I;m sure they will find a better way for Ash to make someone like you satified even though the show isn't really directed to your group of fans.
    The aimlessness of it all is what bugs me. For all we know, they could just end anticlimactically.

Since you keep thinking that nothing will get better, you can always stop watching and gravitate to another show that will make you not get so angry over a kids cartoon show.
    I don't really think it'll never get better (I was mostly frustrated due to a bad day). DP was impressive for one even if BW was a step back. Honestly, I like the Anime for its portrayal of the Pokemon and some of its ideas. But it has a lot of missed opportunities to really do something great with the story that are sadly not taken advantage of.
    Last edited by matt0044; 29th March 2013 at 11:56 PM.

I don't think Ash is weak. If he won every battle then the show wouldn't be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoruagible View Post
    If he won every battle then the show wouldn't be interesting.
    We don't want that but losing many battles isn't a pleasant alternative and it would help to have consistency. Although if he won every battle (or rather the majority), I'd argue that it can be interesting in a way similar to Yu Gi Oh where the victory isn't earned easily.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast