Thread: A different take on Pokemon...

Default A different take on Pokemon...

I have recently been reconnecting to Digimon because it was a big part of my childhood. In Season 3: Tamers, the world the characters are in is basically our world (ie. They have trading cards, the TV show, etc...) Digimon figure out a way to break through a digital barrier into the real world. I was wondering if you guys think i could make a similar concept work with Pokemon, but with select humans being given access to the world of Pokemon. Thoughts???

My 3DS Friend Code is 4656-7001-6257
        Spoiler:- Ghost Friend Safari:

Spoiler:- Hall of Fame:

It could be cool, if it was well written.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

Thumbs up Of course!

You're asking us if an idea is possible for the Pokemon world and the Human world to collide and of course the answer is yes! First of all, ANY idea can be written into a story. It's the author (That's you) that comes up with a way to weave ideas into the intricate web that we call a story. If you don't know how to incorporate this, just think of the other major fictions out there that do this. Harry Potter has an ENTIRE Wizarding world within the muggle world. Percy Jackson and the Olympians has it so that "normal" people see the mythological creatures in a different way. I was actually thinking of a similar idea in which I incorporate a human from our world and he gets sent to the Pokemon world but contact me somewhere else if you want more info.
    {CURSED by the Random Number Goddess}

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." -Mewtwo
    "We do have a lot in common. The same Earth, the same air, the same sky. Maybe if we started looking at what's the same instead of looking at what's different...Well who knows?" -Meowth
    "It's more important to master the cards you're working with than to complain about the ones your opponents were dealt." -Elite Four Grimsley

Levels and statistics are just numbers.

Of course it can be done - the issue is just pulling it off in a way that is not only interesting and makes sense, but that is also original. I would highly recommend taking a look at other fics that do this - see how others do it, what makes the story successful and original, or why it fails, and see what you can learn from it. One terrific example is purple_drake's The Rookie's Handbook to Conspiracy Theory, where the answer is pretty much Atlantis.

Just keep in mind that you can't do it the exact way Tamers did - not only for originality's sake, but also because Pokemon aren't digital monsters, so they couldn't live in a world parallel to ours the same way the digital world is. There are other plausible ways to make it work, and there are concepts you'll want to stay away from since they're been done to death, such as humans being sucked into Gameboys. You'll want to do the research and check out other fics in your genre in order to avoid falling into those same pitfalls so you can forge your own new path instead.

Best of luck!
    ~Psychic

I mean, it's already been said but I think almost any sort of genre can be done when it comes to Pokemon fanfiction. The key is actually pulling it off. I mean, naturally the two worlds could collide...but how would you do it? Digimon has the advantage of being a digital world...so it makes sense to essentially have two universes side-by-side. You're not afforded this luxury with Pokemon. I think the most pivotal thing for you is to determine why the two worlds don't already interact. Is the Pokemon universe occurring on a different planet? Is it occurring in a different era (IE do Pokemon rise in the future or did they go extinct in the past)? Ultimately, you may have already decided this...I would just be careful with the incorporation. Avoid cliches such as (like Psychic said) getting sucked into the gameboy or a TV or something like that. Then it's just kind of hokey and unbelievable. Anyways, I hope I was able to at least help a little.
    Click the Banner below to read my newest fan-fic, Titans of Kanto.

All credit for the banner goes to the glorious Brutaka!