Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Apes, Dragons, & Washing Machines OH MY! [Peaked 1900]

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In A Pine Grove
    Posts
    497

    Default Apes, Dragons, & Washing Machines OH MY! [Peaked 1900]

    Introduction
    Hello all and welcome to what I believe is my fourth team here on smogon, now the team itself started when I got sick of using special Landorus since it just utterly hates and refuses to work for me. So instead I utilized a tried and true set being the expert belt Landorus with sand force and the team just sort of blossomed from there. Now the team is pretty much your standard sand team except that Infernape isn't too common a sight on sand teams but lets get into the team shall we?
    Team Preview


    Team Building Process
        Spoiler:- Click:


    In Depth Analysis

    Tyranitar (M) @ Chople Berry
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    0 Spd IVs
    Brave Nature
    Stealth Rock
    Superpower
    Crunch
    Pursuit
    First up on the list we have Tyranitar a pokemon that has been on the overused scene since generation two when it was first released, however in generation III tyranitar got something that would make it one of the most sought after pokemon to use in the game, Sand Stream. This ability gives landorus the equivalent of a Life orb boost without the negative side effects and gives stoutland double the speed it would normally have. However this is not the sole reason to abuse tyranitar as it possesses some of the best traits one can ask for within the game, one of which is the best counter to Lati@s in the game thanks to the boost it gets via sand stream and with access to pursuit it can trap not only latios and latias but gengar as well something that with a sub up can be extremely annoying. Pursuit is also very handy in breaking the balloons off of heatran for landorus to kill them later as well as for choiced pokemon. Crunch is there more for jellicent than anything else as with only pursuit I do pathetic damage, it also is handy for latias spamming roost to outstall me as well as for sub disable gengar so that they can disable crunch but not pursuit. Superpower I really put there because I was getting pissed off at other tyranitar leads, and more importantly heatran leads who my original fire blast tyranitar couldn't touch. So I revised the spread so that max attack to hurt ferrothorn, heatran, and tyranitar as hard as possible, with the only drawback being the reduction in attack and defense. Finally I have the most important hazard in the game being stealth rock which allows my team which thrives on forcing switches and prediction to hurt pokemon such as volcarona as hard as I can while I also deter Ninetales and Politoad from switching in often. Otherwise if I wasn't running stealth rock I'd slap a choice band on tyranitar. Finally the Brave nature and zero speed ivs to ensure that my sand is going up as opposed to rain or hail.

    Latios (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    Hidden Power [Fire]
    Psyshock
    Draco Meteor
    Recover
    Next off is Latios everyone's favorite special dragon, with the ability to hit like a freight train and the coverage it has it's easy to see why this thing was Uber for the last two generations. However Latios misses its soul dew but Life orb is not that bad of a fit for it boosting its attacks by 30% for the small price of 10% of ones health which is easily recovered off. This is my initial switch in to politoed and keldeo as I prefer offense to defense on this team utterly destroying my opponent with a draco meteor is the reason why this thing has gained a soft spot in my heart. Draco meteor specifically lets me hit dragonite, salamence, ninetales, politoed, and haxorus. Psyshock is there for two reasons the first being to break the sub of a toxicroak as well as damage defensive tentacruel who hope to sponge a draco meteor, and secondly so that I can nail blissey for some more power. Now life orb in the sand racks up 16% every turn meaning that it doesn't take long for latios to die, however I really like the power it provides now here is my question should I try out an expert belt, or wise glasses instead?

    Landorus (M) @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Sand Force
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature
    Hidden Power [Ice]
    Earthquake
    U-turn
    Stone Edge
    Next up is our main man that the team is built around with sand force and stab earthquake hits a 195 base power doing over fifty percent that doesn't resist or is immune to it. Earthquake in particular hits forretress, ferrothorn, blissey, jellicent, and scizor. All of which are two to three hit ko'd and the ones with reliable recovery are lacking a way to sponge to of these babies. Stone edge is there mainly for dragonite, volcarona, and more importantly rotom wash which seems to be the impervious troll to landorus nowadays being a solid two hit ko with stone edge. U-Turn is for the few grass types that are viable within the overused tier mainly being celebi and amoonguss providing for an escape option on Landorus. Finally there is hidden power ice for a few reasons a.) it provides for a solid way to get rid of gliscor which is ex troll to landorus, b.) provide a more accurate option for hitting salamence, and dragonite, and finally c.) To help bluff that I'm the special set. The beauty of this set is the fact that the instant people see a physical attack U-Turn most likely they automatically assume that it's the classic scarf set if they've been playing long enough.

    Rotom-W @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 192 HP / 92 SAtk / 224 Spd
    Modest Nature
    Volt Switch
    Hydro Pump
    Hidden Power [Fire]
    Pain Split
    Now the spread may seem weird however it's effective at what it does hidden power fire is there as a fore mentioned to hit ferrothorn which I deem to be a pain in the *** for this team and it allows me to not have to waste hydro pumps on forretress just to kill it. It also allows me to not be stalled out by specially defensive skarmory when they roost on my predicted volt switch. I run just enough speed to outspeed jolly breloom which is also a key reason to run hidden power fire. Pain split should be fairly evident as it allows for rotom wash to switch in on things such as scarf politoed and pain split off the damage they do as they switch out to ferrothorn or what they have to take an electric attack. Expert belt also allows for me to bluff being a choiced rotom more specifically a choice scarf variant with the damage i dole out. Hydro pump allows for an unbelievably powerful stab move that can hit just about anything in the tier hard bar amoonguss. Finally there is volt switch to keep the momentum going in my favor and also hitting politoed for some pretty decent damage.

    Infernape (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Blaze
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    Flare Blitz
    Close Combat
    U-turn
    Hidden Power [Ice]
    Now every team needs a choice scarfer and infernape seemed to fit the bill quite well being able to absorb any attack that ninetales throws at it which is what makes infernape better than tyranitar as a switch in aka it won't get burned by a will o wisp. Close combat the obvious stab move that allows me to absolutely demolish heatran, opposing tyranitar, and adamant natured stoutland. Flare Blitz is there for two pokemon amoonguss which I find atrociously annoying so being able to fry it with a flare blitz is quite satisfactory as many infernape carry overheat which does a pitiful 61% to specially defensive amoonguss, and secondly to fry the sunny bug itself volcarona as infernape quad resists bug buzz and resists fiery dance. Finally if you notice from the rest of the team I have barely anything to hit a dragon danced dragonite or scarf salamence besides stoutland so infernape acts as a back up check to dragonite and salamence.

    Stoutland (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Sand Rush
    EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    Return
    Ice Fang
    Superpower
    Wild Charge
    Stoutland is pulling up the team with its incredible speed that allows me to outspeed scarf terrakion or keldeo with the given effort values, as I deem scarf latios as not a problem given I carry the best counter to it tyranitar. Return should be the obvious stab that nets incredible ohko's and some very decent two hit ko's with prior damage on the enemy. Ice fang allows me to hit salamence, dragonite, gliscor, and celebi. Superpower is mainly for terrakion, ferrothorn, and tyranitar. Finally there is wild charge to two hit ko defensive politoed, hit tornadus, and finally to hit the ever loving nuisance of keldeo.

    Team In Action
    1 | 2 | 3

    Importable
        Spoiler:- Click:


    Last edited by Usatoday; 5th March 2013 at 2:37 AM.

    |||||||
    Yellow Lv 36 | Saph Lv 35 | Garnet Lv 35 | Eevee Lv 34 | TDK Lv 38 | APorygonZ Lv 33
    Credit to Blues

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    under the scarlet sky
    Posts
    1,106

    Default

    nice team man

    some threats i`m seeing are
    thunderus therian- his only check is latios who is 2hkoed by hp ice, and arguable ttar because of the chople berry. The handle it, latios needs to be in full health after it agilities (or around 80%) or if it doesnt agility, infernape can KO it

    terrakion- landorus is the only "switch in" for him and if it subs up its going to be a pain to beat. With its sub gone stoutland, infernape, and ttar can check and landorus if it doesnt have a rock gem or a focus sash (and stone edge hits twice)

    Maintaining weather- your team is very weather dependent, and i can see it having some trouble getting through rain teams as the weaken the main way to beat ferrothorn, and rotom wash may have trouble sponging a lot of rain boosted water moves

    I would recommend latias>latios as latias is a little more forgiving with damage, taking around 55-65% from hp ice from landorus i and thunderus therian as welll as take fighting moves a bit better

    This is funny but i suggest special landorus DX as hes superior to physical landorus and less weather reliant, thus helping to take pressure off you to win the weather wars. You can run a wall breaker set instead of rock polish ( u turn, hpi ice, earth power, focus blast) and the rock polish set works like any other rock polish sweeper (main checks are celebi, lati twins, rotom wash, lesser ones are amoongus, gyarados, and sp def jellicent) and most his checks can be trapped and KOed by ttar

    I feel your team would be better with keldeo> infernape as you have 2-3 ways to beat steals, making his fire stab less useful, plus keldeo has superior def stats, typing, and handles mamoswine/scizor better, and beats rain

    I would change ttars nature to adamant



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Not a bad team here, I approve of the Stoutland =]

    Anyways you played pretty good vs Preserve, one thing you should have done is take advantage of Latios more, as his team was fairly weak to it. Anyways I think this team would possibly be more potent if you put Special Landorus over your current set. If you think Sand Force is powerful, then you haven't seen the carnage that LO Sheer Force Landorus can cause. I think using a version with U-Turn would best benefit the team, given that it can still continue the U-Turn chain, but also simply rip apart enemy teams; it would have destroyed that Jellicent that was giving you trouble early game. Landorus is able to 2hko pretty much everything, so it makes fantastic use of the Stealth Rocks and the "pseudo-residual" that results from U-Turns. I also reccomend putting a CB Scizor over your Stoutland. While this sounds extremely cliche, I think it really helps the team with type synergy [pretty much intrinsic], but also provides you with Priority and a steel resist, which really helps you vs Dragspam, something like a Sub-Kyurem B or even a Scarfmence could cause problems if they're in on Rotom-W; every time outrage is used you're at dire risk of losing something. Scizor's priority also allows you to break Multiscale on dragonite, if you aren't able to get rocks up or whatever. I also reccomend putting Stone Edge>HP Ice on Infernape, this is because Volcarona has the potential to be a huge problem if you win the weather war and it gets to +1 in sun, Rotom-W can't take Volc's boosted attacks and is unable to KO it back, while everything else is mashed by its sun-boosted fire attacks or bug buzz. Infernape can outspeed Volc at +0/+1 and OHKO with Stone Edge, giving you an extra line of defense while still being able to kill dragons. Finally, if you're willing to sacrifice one of your moves on Tyranitar, it might be helpful to put Fire Blast [and the corresponding nature], because hazards are the key to beating these types of team, and every time Tyranitar is in, it's essentially Free spikes for Skarmory with your current set [which is obviously helpful and has merit, 4mss is just a jerk], so if you want to experiment with that it would be cool.

    Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
    Naive Nature
    - Earth Power
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - U-turn

    Scizor @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - U-turn
    - Bullet Punch
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    213

    Default

    I will do a full rate later, but this seems like an extremely solid team.
    I have tested it, and I ind the lack of a set up sweeper rather concerns me. You have nothing to take advantage of a toxic staller, or to set up on a switch and then destroy. I would replace Infernape who is a bit meh, with a TechniLoom. I would reccomend this set:
    Mush Room? (Breloom) (M) @ Fighting Gem
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Spore
    - Swords Dance
    - Bullet Seed
    - Mach Punch

    Spore a scizor or what not, then SD, and well, tear apart.

    Scizor is a hard poke to counter for any team, and while Infernape can sorta counter it...
    252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4- Def Infernape: 316-372 (107.84 - 126.96%) -- guaranteed OHKO on the switch in. After that the team is easily destroyed by it
    Last edited by Jazz™; 7th March 2013 at 7:58 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In A Pine Grove
    Posts
    497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands View Post
    I will do a full rate later, but this seems like an extremely solid team.
    I have tested it, and I ind the lack of a set up sweeper rather concerns me. You have nothing to take advantage of a toxic staller, or to set up on a switch and then destroy. I would replace Infernape who is a bit meh, with a TechniLoom. I would reccomend this set:
    Mush Room? (Breloom) (M) @ Fighting Gem
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Spore
    - Swords Dance
    - Bullet Seed
    - Mach Punch

    Spore a scizor or what not, then SD, and well, tear apart.

    Scizor is a hard poke to counter for any team, and while Infernape can sorta counter it...
    252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4- Def Infernape: 316-372 (107.84 - 126.96%) -- guaranteed OHKO on the switch in. After that the team is easily destroyed by it
    Breloom is an interesting thought however I've never had much luck with standard tech loom :[ but its worth a shot I guess scizor is not going to be a problem with the amount of attacks I run cough hp fire rotom and latios cough but It might prove a nuisance
    Quote Originally Posted by Trace★ View Post
    Not a bad team here, I approve of the Stoutland =]

    Anyways you played pretty good vs Preserve, one thing you should have done is take advantage of Latios more, as his team was fairly weak to it. Anyways I think this team would possibly be more potent if you put Special Landorus over your current set. If you think Sand Force is powerful, then you haven't seen the carnage that LO Sheer Force Landorus can cause. I think using a version with U-Turn would best benefit the team, given that it can still continue the U-Turn chain, but also simply rip apart enemy teams; it would have destroyed that Jellicent that was giving you trouble early game. Landorus is able to 2hko pretty much everything, so it makes fantastic use of the Stealth Rocks and the "pseudo-residual" that results from U-Turns. I also reccomend putting a CB Scizor over your Stoutland. While this sounds extremely cliche, I think it really helps the team with type synergy [pretty much intrinsic], but also provides you with Priority and a steel resist, which really helps you vs Dragspam, something like a Sub-Kyurem B or even a Scarfmence could cause problems if they're in on Rotom-W; every time outrage is used you're at dire risk of losing something. Scizor's priority also allows you to break Multiscale on dragonite, if you aren't able to get rocks up or whatever. I also reccomend putting Stone Edge>HP Ice on Infernape, this is because Volcarona has the potential to be a huge problem if you win the weather war and it gets to +1 in sun, Rotom-W can't take Volc's boosted attacks and is unable to KO it back, while everything else is mashed by its sun-boosted fire attacks or bug buzz. Infernape can outspeed Volc at +0/+1 and OHKO with Stone Edge, giving you an extra line of defense while still being able to kill dragons. Finally, if you're willing to sacrifice one of your moves on Tyranitar, it might be helpful to put Fire Blast [and the corresponding nature], because hazards are the key to beating these types of team, and every time Tyranitar is in, it's essentially Free spikes for Skarmory with your current set [which is obviously helpful and has merit, 4mss is just a jerk], so if you want to experiment with that it would be cool.

    Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
    Naive Nature
    - Earth Power
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - U-turn

    Scizor @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - U-turn
    - Bullet Punch
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower
    Scizor is not going to go onto this team and that is definite I hate how slow it is I also see no need for a third u turner on the team I might try out the landorus set however with the idea of it being a lure and playing the same strategy of e belt set albeit life orb is not going to bluff it well so I may switch it to something like earth plate or wide lens for that matter to improve the accuracy of focus blast. However if i'm volc weak as I run scarf ape for its merit as a reliable check to volcarona who aren't in rain which I prefer to blast with hydro pumps so here are some calcs
    252Atk Iron Fist Infernape (Neutral) Flare Blitz vs 4HP/0Def Volcarona (Neutral): 76% - 90% (238 - 282 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
    252Atk Iron Fist Infernape (Neutral) Flare Blitz vs 240HP/216Def Leftovers Volcarona (+Def): 43% - 52% (163 - 193 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.
    252Atk Iron Fist Infernape (Neutral) Flare Blitz in Sun vs 240HP/216Def Leftovers Volcarona (+Def): 66% - 77% (246 - 289 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
    92SpAtk Rotom (+SAtk) Hydro Pump in Rain vs 240HP/216SpDef Leftovers Volcarona (+SpDef): 93% - 110% (348 - 410 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 62% chance to OHKO.
    92SpAtk Rotom (+SAtk) Hydro Pump in Rain vs 240HP/216SpDef Leftovers +1 Volcarona (+SpDef): 63% - 74% (234 - 276 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
    92SpAtk Rotom (+SAtk) Hydro Pump in Rain vs 4HP/0SpDef Leftovers +1 Volcarona (Neutral): 98% - 117% (308 - 366 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 93% chance to OHKO.
    252SpAtk Life Orb Volcarona (Neutral) Bug Buzz vs 192HP/0SpDef Leftovers Levitate Rotom (Neutral): 64% - 75% (186 - 219 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
    volcarona assuming its bulky it not going to stand a chance if in sun it screws itself over and 9/10 times I will try and guarantee I have stealth rocks up also an easy fix for this is to run stone edge ape
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdanger View Post
    nice team man

    some threats i`m seeing are
    thunderus therian- his only check is latios who is 2hkoed by hp ice, and arguable ttar because of the chople berry. The handle it, latios needs to be in full health after it agilities (or around 80%) or if it doesnt agility, infernape can KO it

    terrakion- landorus is the only "switch in" for him and if it subs up its going to be a pain to beat. With its sub gone stoutland, infernape, and ttar can check and landorus if it doesnt have a rock gem or a focus sash (and stone edge hits twice)

    Maintaining weather- your team is very weather dependent, and i can see it having some trouble getting through rain teams as the weaken the main way to beat ferrothorn, and rotom wash may have trouble sponging a lot of rain boosted water moves

    I would recommend latias>latios as latias is a little more forgiving with damage, taking around 55-65% from hp ice from landorus i and thunderus therian as welll as take fighting moves a bit better

    This is funny but i suggest special landorus DX as hes superior to physical landorus and less weather reliant, thus helping to take pressure off you to win the weather wars. You can run a wall breaker set instead of rock polish ( u turn, hpi ice, earth power, focus blast) and the rock polish set works like any other rock polish sweeper (main checks are celebi, lati twins, rotom wash, lesser ones are amoongus, gyarados, and sp def jellicent) and most his checks can be trapped and KOed by ttar

    I feel your team would be better with keldeo> infernape as you have 2-3 ways to beat steals, making his fire stab less useful, plus keldeo has superior def stats, typing, and handles mamoswine/scizor better, and beats rain

    I would change ttars nature to adamant
    Ya thats true i've been considering a landorus therian which would be able to sponge anything tossed at it, latias is currently in testing over latios which would make thundurus much more easily check and the set being tested is the life orb tanking set, I've also been considering if I run landorus therian i would run rocks on that and switch either to scarf tar or banded tar thoughts?

    |||||||
    Yellow Lv 36 | Saph Lv 35 | Garnet Lv 35 | Eevee Lv 34 | TDK Lv 38 | APorygonZ Lv 33
    Credit to Blues

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    523

    Default

    Good luck using unboosted EQ for landorus to kill forretress and ferrothorn.
    Infernape needs some sp atk IV's and a mixed nature, or it can't use HP to kill salamence one hit, and dnite in 2, unless multiscale is already broken.
    No lefties on rotom and you run sand, which means it will get worn down by switching in, and pain split is far from reliable recovery. Lefties is your friend.
    To make it clear, if you PM me, I get an email. I do not use this site anymore.
    If you PM me I will do my best to get back to you.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •