Thread: Sand Shifters - A Trick Room Tale (Part 2)

Default Sand Shifters - A Trick Room Tale (Part 2)

I would firstly like to start by saying I have made another team based around the same theme of sandstorm and trick room however I ended up making so many changes that I have now just decided to do a whole new rate my team. Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules or anything but please help me out as I need it.

The all have IV's of 0

Hippowdon (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
    - Slack Off
    - Stealth Rock
    - Whirlwind
    - Earthquake

This is almost always my lead. Being so pathetically slow I always get my weather up first and is also a good way to take down opposing tyranitar which fears earthquake so almost always switches. Allowing for a free switch to one of my other pokemon. Slack off is for recovery whilst roar is phazing and stealth rock, is well one of the best moves in the game. I have replaced whirlwind for roar because otherwise baton pass mr. mime is just a nusence.

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
    - Bullet Punch
    - U-turn
    - Aerial Ace
    - Pursuit

Man this pokemon suits the team to a tee. Slow, immune to sandstorm and very hard hitting. Almost all people should know what scizor is about. I tend to use u turn to scout and pursuit to trap ghosts and other weather inducers actually which is a bit scary when trapping ninetales but if sandstorm is in play and they don't have the weather move it works really well. Aerial ace is mainly for coverage but works great on volcarona and bullet punch is decent priority.

Mamoswine (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Thick Fat
    - Ice Shard
    - Earthquake
    - Icicle Spear
    - Stone Edge

I have chosen to add mamoswine, the reason being I had a lot of trouble with dragons, gliscor and the three genie pokemon, all of which won't want to be taking icicle spear anytime soon. Ice shard is priority earthquake hits so so hard with choice band and stone edge is mainly coverage. Although his main role is to kill the above pokemon which otherwise causes problems.

Reuniclus (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
    - Trick Room
    - Psyshock
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast

Standered reuniclus, she is immune to sandstorm and is just generally an awesome trick room sweeper. Psyshock hits special walls much harder, namely blissey and Chansey, whilst the other two moves provide unresisted coverage.

Xatu (M) @ Macho Brace
    Trait: Magic Bounce
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Trick Room
    - Roost
    - U-turn
    - Heat Wave

This is an odd choice I know but macho brace is used because I was always worried with his fairly high speed so with the item it isn't an issue anymore. Xatu's main purpose on this is to shut down walls and phasers and such pokemon like skarmory and forretress which loves to set entry hazards and generally cause a bit of mischief and mess the opponent up. Heat wave scores some nice damage against the said steel pokemon and u turn is to add up damage and offensive pressure.

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
    - Trick Room
    - Recover
    - Giga Drain
    - Hydro Pump

And finally we come to this pokemon. Trick room is well, trick room, recover is used because I need the extra health just in case as his job is a spin blocker, and an anti rain team pokemon. Being anti rain I have hydro pump which has a boost in rain and giga drain which harms the opponent for super effective damage and heals me in the process.

Ok so this is my team I tried it out on PO, and some pokemon which I'm having trouble with at the moment is tentacruel and rotom W. They from an annoying defensive core which is tough to break, along with this durant and scizor are causing problems. I feel like my problems could be solved if I run my own Rotom W but alas who to switch it for? And I would also be losing out on a trick roomer.

I am also considering re-adding my breloom set which I made a few months ago-

Breloom (M) @Toxic Orb
    Triat: Poison Heal
    - Spore
    - Sword Dance
    - Mach Punch
    - Seed Bomb

This set may seem surprising but it brings to the table some useful tools. Firstly the trait and item means with sandstorm damage taken into account I end up with a leftovers type recovery at the end of the turn which is useful. Spore and sword dance is to set up, and with the rubbish speed, in trick room I can easily set up. Mach punch is for when trick room is no longer active in which case I would have sword danced at least once hopeful twice. Lastly seed bomb is take down pesky water types which otherwise causes problems. If I chose to add this I would need to make a few changes. Firstly I will have to replace jelicent. Reason being he is my anti-rain team pokemon and secondly I would need to replace my trick room setters to more defensive pokemon, breloom also takes down the pokemon I'm having trouble with which is awesome but I come to my problem again who to replace? This is why I need help. PLEASE GUYS help me out.
    Last edited by Rosez66; 11th March 2013 at 6:05 PM.
    75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon up legally, put this in your signature. (Started by SkittyLover77)

Also looking for female dream world moxie heracross and a miltank message me I have many dream world pokemon

Bump.
    Come on guys I need the help before I make this team in-game. Their must something I can do.
    75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon up legally, put this in your signature. (Started by SkittyLover77)

Also looking for female dream world moxie heracross and a miltank message me I have many dream world pokemon

Again Bump.
    I ally need the help this team isn't performing well as it could. I need a hand here guys pretty please. I don't want to be breaking any rules but I'm despirite.

xatu and mamo are a little to fast for trick room imo, and its not a good singles strategy in OU.

Outside of renun you really have no pokemon whos sweeping potential is increased by trick room. Plus most trick room teams have a scarfer to clean up and function outside of trick room like moxie salamence

Furthermore, most trick room sweepers are in lower tiers, making them a little harder to use in OU, some notible ones being aggron, rampardos, and marowak

As for OU sweepers with trick room offensive power notible ones are sheer force conkeldurr and choice band hippowdon

For a trick room team, the only defensive mons should be your trick room starters as to increase the offensive power the team has.

Well the are slow enough at the moment to 'outspeed' most pokemon apart from the obvious ones like slowbro and ferrothron but apart from them they are fine at the moment.

And the sweepers which I do have hit really hard like choice band power on mamoswine makes his earthquake hit easily in the KO. range on a lot of pokemon. I mean he has nearing 600 attack with that thing on!

Bump again really sorry to do it but I still need help with the rotom forms. And rain offence in general.

Ok, looking at the team again, scizor rapes it, very easily as all your trick room abusers and starters, bar scizor, cant take u turn or bullet punch.
    I would revise your sand room core to like reuniclus, bronzong, and offensive hippowdon as bronzong is by far the most durable trick room starter, while hippo has an overlooked attack of about 110 iirc. As you said, rain offensive will screw up the team, as well as priority abusers, such as breloom and scizor, mostly scizor, for that i recommend keeping jellicent, as its slow enough, has decent sp attack of 90, and nice coverage, allowing it to beat most rain threats, namely keldeo, and if trick room is up, thunderus therian. I would then recommend another solid abuser in the form of druggigon. While he is RU, he has access to A) terrable speed, B) fantasic attack at 120 C) great typing, and D) a fantastic ability in mold breaker, allowing him to beat rotom. Furthermore, he has sucker punch for priority and access to fire punch and superpower/earthquake, but with mold breaker, fire punch and outrage have flawless coverage as it negates flash fire. Lastly you want a fast mon to either clean up or create a chance to set up trick room again. For this i suggest Stoutland as it abuses the sand, and has fantastic speed and attack.

So the team changes i`m recommending it would look like

Hippowdon@life orb
    brave
    252hp/252 attack
    -earthquake
    -slack off
    -ice fang
    -stone edge/rock slide

Druggigion@choice band
    brave
    252hp/252attack/4sp def
    -outrage
    -fire punch
    -earthquake/superpower
    -sucker punch

Jellicent@life orb/leftovers
    quiet
    252hp/252sp attack/4sp def
    -hydro pump/water spout
    -ice beam
    -shadow ball/giga drain
    -trick room

Bronzong@macho brace
    brave
    252hp/252 attack
    levitate
    -gyro ball
    -trick room
    -explosion
    -earthquake/hp ice

Stoutland@choice band
    jolly
    252 attack/252speed/4 def
    sand rush
    -return
    -wild charge
    -fire fang/pursuit
    -superpower

Your reun set is fine.

If you have any more questions or whatever, vm me

Yeah scizor can be a bit of a problem but jelicent either forces him out or takes a large amount of damage, so I normally wear him down, the reason why I have Xatu is to combat breloom, it can give spore back to him and resists both of his STABs which is great.

Funny you mention the dragon pokemon I was just looking at some pokemon which has high attack and I stumbled upon druddigon.
    He has an OKish attack already but with choice band and hustle his outrage would be insane, also he isn't used as much and I like using pokemon which isn't used as much.

I also was looking at late game sweepers because I normally get the opponent down to there last pokemon and if trick room isn't up I always end up stumbling over the finish line in a bit of mess with an unneeded KO. I looked straight away at Landrous, both forms has their merits and good points. But stout land could be great but he has STAB on normal which isn't great..... And I really am fond of my breloom as it does its job really well for taking out bulky waters and with Mach punch its awesome.