Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do you think there are terrible Pokemon?

I think it is just based on stats...
    People judge pokemon on their stats, take Raticate for example.
    His speed is low and none of his stats peak over 100, so he is considered "horrible"
    All pokemon are useful though. They were created for battling.
    ~Working on getting a sig~

Remember, not everyone is a competitive battler.
    Quote Originally Posted by gliscor&yanmega View Post
    Every Pokemon is useful in some way, they might not all be great for competitive battling but I don't think Game Freak even had intentions of that. The fanbase is the one that created the competitive aspect I'm pretty sure, Game Freak just makes the Pokemon and the fans decide what to do with them.
    ^This is actually what I had in mind.
    Strong Pokemon, weak Pokemon, it doesn't matter. I remember when people had Pokemon because they loved them, not because they win every battle.
    I for one hate competitive battling. People have become so obsessed with winning a 10 year old's video game that they no longer have respect for half the Pokemon out there.

Thanks for all the replies, although a lot of people seem to think I was talking about competitive battles, I honestly wasn't. I was more referring to the fact that there are some pokemon with such abysmal stats that using them just feels like a waste of time. Again, for Luvdisc, it brings absolutely nothing to a team as far as I can tell. Low stats and a movepool that can be beaten by basically any water pokemon out there. I didn't mean that all pokemon should be amazing, I just wonder why some pokemon are basically just...there. My fiance still always uses it, she thinks it's adorable, so there's that I suppose. Cute can beat power?

Personally I despise the competitive scene, I avoid it like the plague. I used to use Smogon for advice but I started to find the way I enjoyed the game to be completely warped by their whole idea of tiers. I don't normally PvP at all except with friends, we have a blast, but Smogon seemed to almost...corrupt I guess...my idea of what was fun with Pokemon. I always, always, have a Gardevoir in my team as soon as possible. By Smogon standards she's worthless but she's still my favorite.

First of all,
    there are no bad Pokemon!

The design
    All Pokemon have there uses. Making all the Pokemons final evolution OU standard would be really lame. I think that if all Pokemon where "good" as you so call it, it would make the game not as fun anymore. It would lack diversity. As you said yourself, luvdisk is a "bad" Pokemon but your fiancé likes the design and that's why she uses it. I think that is a valid reason. Even in the clan tourneys I participate in. Sometimes I might only have one OU Pokemon in my team because I like other Pokemon better. *lookin at you Gengar* For example, I use Magmotar in my OU teams sometimes even if it is RU. I don't care, I like the Pokemon. Same goes with any other Pokemon in the game. (Gengar in Uber for the win!)

User vs Pokemon
    I think that people seem to confuse a Pokemon's stats over it's sheer usefulness. I was 6-1 against an opponent. He sent out his Umbreon. The game ended 2-0 he killed 4 of my Pokemon with that Umbreon! Even if Umbreon was in UU (not sure what it is now but that's what it was back then) in the hands of a good trainer, it is still a very viable Pokemon. This may sound silly but you need to learn your Pokemon. A team you just made, will never be as good as a team you have been using for a long time. That is why a trainer can have a certain mix of Pokemon and be very good with it but when you try it, you are not as good with it because you do not know the team as well as the other trainer who had incredible 6-0 games. I have a Gengar set, that is able to do work in Uber. Obviously, I need to play very well for it to work since Gengar can have trouble in OU if used wrong. So now imagine in Uber. It is all about the trainer/person using it. Now I fell like putting Luvdisk in one of my OU or UU teams to try it and try to prove you wrong.

I don't have anymore aspects because I think that people would not read the post if it would get too long and I have limited time.

Conclusion
    In conclusion, no Pokemon is weak, not useful or bad. It all comes down to the trainer/person using it and if you like. There is much more to a Pokemon than its stats and value. The design, the fact that you like it or not, the moves... etc are all things to take into consideration before saying you don't like a Pokemon or it is "bad". This literally translate to my first sentence in this post.

Sorry,
    I did not read your last post talking about how you where not talking about competitive battling before writing this. Hope this still helps. I may add more aspects if people ask or I have time and feel like it.

RAWK ON
    Last edited by Necro101; 6th March 2013 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Necro101 View Post
    First of all,
    there are no bad Pokemon!

The design
    All Pokemon have there uses. Making all the Pokemons final evolution OU standard would be really lame. I think that if all Pokemon where "good" as you so call it, it would make the game not as fun anymore. It would lack diversity. As you said yourself, luvdisk is a "bad" Pokemon but your fiancé likes the design and that's why she uses it. I think that is a valid reason. Even in the clan tourneys I participate in. Sometimes I might only have one OU Pokemon in my team because I like other Pokemon better. *lookin at you Gengar* For example, I use Magmotar in my OU teams sometimes even if it is RU. I don't care, I like the Pokemon. Same goes with any other Pokemon in the game. (Gengar in Uber for the win!)

User vs Pokemon
    I think that people seem to confuse a Pokemon's stats over it's sheer usefulness. I was 6-1 against an opponent. He sent out his Umbreon. The game ended 2-0 he killed 4 of my Pokemon with that Umbreon! Even if Umbreon was in UU (not sure what it is now but that's what it was back then) in the hands of a good trainer, it is still a very viable Pokemon. This may sound silly but you need to learn your Pokemon. A team you just made, will never be as good as a team you have been using for a long time. That is why a trainer can have a certain mix of Pokemon and be very good with it but when you try it, you are not as good with it because you do not know the team as well as the other trainer who had incredible 6-0 games. I have a Gengar set, that is able to do work in Uber. Obviously, I need to play very well for it to work since Gengar can have trouble in OU if used wrong. So now imagine in Uber. It is all about the trainer/person using it. Now I fell like putting Luvdisk in one of my OU or UU teams to try it and try to prove you wrong.

I don't have anymore aspects because I think that people would not read the post if it would get too long and I have limited time.

Conclusion
    In conclusion, no Pokemon is weak, not useful or bad. It all comes down to the trainer/person using it and if you like. There is much more to a Pokemon than its stats and value. The design, the fact that you like it or not, the moves... etc are all things to take into consideration before saying you don't like a Pokemon or it is "bad". This literally translate to my first sentence in this post.

Sorry,
    I did not read your last post talking about how you where not talking about competitive battling before writing this. Hope this still helps. I may add more aspects if people ask or I have time and feel like it.

RAWK ON
    Thanks for the insight, and yes, I would always ask for more clarification if you felt like posting it. This is one of those rare forums where genuine hate/flaming is very minimal, I love reading discussions here, so fire away if you would like to. But yes, I hadn't meant competitive battles, they do bad things to my brain, make me think about the game in a way I don't personally like thinking about. Too much becomes about stats and too little becomes about my favorites. Gardevoir again, for example, will always be on my team even if Smogon hates her, she's been my favorite since the day I captured my first Ralts.

Just to balance the game out probably. Plus a lot of weak Pokemon evolve into the strong Pokemon. Another thing that I find fun to do is kind of test some of the weak Pokemon out in my playthroughs.

Credit to zhanton
    Quote Originally Posted by wingzx View Post
    omg Larry is on! i can now sleep in peace knowing he is ok!

'Terrible' can be about their usefulness in competitive battling or their design. For design its a matter of opinion.
    Not everyone is a winner, so just use what you think is not terrible, thats all.
    X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037
    The Trinity League Poison Apprentice Master League Shadow Stars League Poison Leader
    PokeGyms Fairy Leader

Spoiler:- Credits:

Quote Originally Posted by thetifftiff
    Amount of real life time doesn't mean much when it comes to shiny hunting though.

As the previous stated, to ensure a balance is in plus all Pokemon being the same equal strength of power would be quite boring personally. That's why I don't see some novelty Pokemon like Delibird getting better anytime soon of course if it does obtain a boost like an evolution or a usable move then I wouldn't be disappointed.

In-story people have Pokemon not just as battlers, but also as pets, companions, workers, and the like.

The joke Pokemon like Luvdisc are primarily there as novelty.

Plus, becoming the Champion with an all-NU roster is simply cathartic.
    My Black 2 Team
    3DS Friend Code: 1349-5549-7031

Just like in nature. Any fully grown bear could **** up any full grown weasel. Some are meant to be strong, some are meant to be just Pokemon.

My FC (Y): 3995-6945-2972 (Fairy) ||Banner Credit to Sworn Metalhead!
    Trainer's Card ||
    http://9gag.com/chrysaries || Pokememes/Memebase||Battle FC: 3182 4147 0411
    Quote Originally Posted by 0LdSk00lMew View Post
    I'm not going to lie you have the best stuff around xD

Quote Originally Posted by Scrufox86 View Post
    Because not every pokemon can be brilliant. It is good to have "weaker" pokemon at the start of the game and then find "stronger" ones it makes the game more fun.
    This, and Vanilluxe...
    All credit for this banner goes to Red's Mount Silver Art Shop at Bulbagarden

Luvdisc was created to make pkmn like ninjask/accelgor look "usable".
    ~Currently own: X and Y (4597-0364-2569), current 6th gen OU record: 199W/44L/6D-, UU record: 31W/0L/4D
    NXT fan, RU supporter, and steam enthusiast.

I actually like Vanilluxe, its ICE CREAM guys
    I guess its to promote diversity. If every pokemon was the same, it'd be a little tedious, and i don't think GF would want a ratatta sweeping the elite four
    Some weak pokemon, like Castform is to showcase a new "thing" like weather.
    Delibird is just troll though
    [img]http://i41.*******.com/2m2fivq.png[/img]
    Lovely Art by Equal-to-Heaven
    Join the Pokemon Anime Style Battling League!
    |PASBL|FB|Manga|A little something to watch|Art|
    [img]http://i42.*******.com/2lw4umr.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Icarus View Post
    Delibird is just troll though
    Delibird, Farfetch'd, Luvdisc, Unown, and a handful more are all like that.

Smogon has their stats color coded so that it's easy to see.

Terrible pokemon are there to make the "decent" pokemon better. To many awesome pokemon wouldnt be good
    3DS FC: 5086-1034-2659
    PM me if you want to add me.

Current obsession: Pokemon X

Seedot exists to prove that nothing can be murdered by an acorn.
    ~Currently own: X and Y (4597-0364-2569), current 6th gen OU record: 199W/44L/6D-, UU record: 31W/0L/4D
    NXT fan, RU supporter, and steam enthusiast.

It's just like if you think something is good and terrible and then this other person thinks the stuff you call good to be terrible and the stuff they find terrible you think is good, I think hoenn is a mess of terrible looking pokemon, but there is large groups of people who like them, but I still respect them for whatever they like regardless of how they think.
    The Pokemon tcg info thread//for NEW PLAYER'S!!!
    I claimed magnemite, mawaru penguindrum, and more(eventually).

Because that's what you find in nature. In the wild world you don't find all animals are useful for kicking the Magikarp out of each other. These "bad" pokemon tend to have a use outside of battle, something that helps the world they're in. It balances out the ecosystem in the pokemon universe.

Friend Code - 1263-7345-4763 ADD ME Friend Safari: Wartortle, Frogadier, Panpour

Because we have contrasting opinions and that's all there really is to it.

Serebii lurker since 2006.

don't be silly, every pokemon is good in some way. but some are better than others. but it is that way because of diversity.
    PM me if you want to battle! i'm always looking for a good battle!

"strong pokemon. weak pokemon. that is only the selfish perception of people. real trainers try to win with their favorites." - karen

black 2 national pokedex: 649/649

There can be no balance in the world if everything is equal. No pokemon is completely useless. The worst pokemon such as magikarp are either there for laughs or because they evolve into something better.
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/tahegy.png[/IMG]

The New Generation

Quote Originally Posted by shadorai View Post
    don't be silly, every pokemon is good in some way
    I agree with this 100% I'm sure they wouldn't release a Pokemon that is absolutely useless or unattractive.

Spoiler:- FC:

30 BP ( I need more..)

Because that's the way things are. Not every Pokemon can be OU/Uber, there are going to be some ones that are strong and ones that are weaker. The game would be less interesting if they all had the same strength.

I'm sure they wouldn't release a Pokemon that is absolutely useless or unattractive.

Stunfisk, card makes me laugh every single time, deep down inside.

To be honest I guess it would be a culmination of opinions on what people think about the diversity of pokemon in the pokemon world versus which one you like and another person likes but at the same time I look at it like kanto, It's my favorite gen, not because it's first, or it has pikachu, I like all of the pokemon equally it doesn't matter if it's grimer or machop, a new installment like slyveon, etc, and even if it's as weak as farfetched it's still a cool pokemon to me. So regardless of diversity, opinion, whatever (even if I think it's terrible) aren't they all cool as is?
    The Pokemon tcg info thread//for NEW PLAYER'S!!!
    I claimed magnemite, mawaru penguindrum, and more(eventually).

Quote Originally Posted by meismadatyou View Post
    I agree with this 100% I'm sure they wouldn't release a Pokemon that is absolutely useless or unattractive.
    I find myself agreeing with this.

Even Magikarp has a use. I've raised a Magikarp [named Mewtwo] to evolve into Gyarados. All the time it was a Magikarp it was pretty pathetic, but once it evolves it suddenly comes to be one of the best Pokemon.
    I've only ever actually raised on Magikarp. Most of the time I wait until later in the game when you can just catch a wild Gyarados.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast