Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonic the Hedgehog

Quote Originally Posted by Zoruagible View Post
    Have any new Sonic games been announced?
    No, but they did say there's going to be one boxed Sonic title this year and several digital ones. I'm betting anything significant will be announced at E3.

EDIT: And here's Digital Game #2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ucbhL3kubVQ
    Last edited by Bolt the Cat; 7th March 2013 at 2:04 AM.

Honestly, I think it's kind of sad that disliking Sonic the Hedgehog seems to be the "cool" thing these days. Sonic Generations, Colors, and the racing games were pretty fun, or at least I thought they were. But I see a lot of people who dislike Sonic just because of a few bad games, or because of the fanbase, or even just because it's "cool."

Quote Originally Posted by Zazie View Post
    This is pretty much what I think whenever I hear sonic (or any other animal mascot platformer) mentioned these days.
    Pay no attention to the human mascots that get mentioned as well like Bonk or Master Higgins or such.

I must say, I am 110% against this action, I mean, quoting Wikipedia, '' A world of free knowledge will be lost ''. I say screw SOPA and PIPA, and all who agrees with me, sig this! We all detest the bill and will fight for the freedom of the Internet!

This is Bidoof. Many people loathe it with their lives. If you are of the few people who love this little beaver, put this in your sig. Started by Warrior Scolipede

Quote Originally Posted by MugoUrth View Post
    Honestly, I think it's kind of sad that disliking Sonic the Hedgehog seems to be the "cool" thing these days. Sonic Generations, Colors, and the racing games were pretty fun, or at least I thought they were. But I see a lot of people who dislike Sonic just because of a few bad games, or because of the fanbase, or even just because it's "cool."
    Or maybe people dislike Sonic because he's a dated character? Or because the franchise has been milked over and over and has produced plenty of bad games? Or because it has one of, if not the worst fanbase in existence? Believe it or not, people might actually have a legit reason to dislike something and not because they want to look good in front of their peers.

Pay no attention to the human mascots that get mentioned as well like Bonk or Master Higgins or such.
    That's the thing. No one mentions them anymore. But Sonic fans just got to keep him relevant for whatever reason. Why'd this thread get posted? Because there wasn't a Sonic thread and golly gee we just can't have that.

So, any thoughts on Sonic Dash?

So has Mario, but people still like him. Frankly, I still like Sonic, and I probably will for a while. Sure, I'm not OBSESSED with Sonic, but I still like a lot of the games, even some of the newer ones. And a dated character, I'll admit his art style isn't all that cool compared to other anthro characters, but I still think he's got a decent style. As for the fan base, I just ignore it.

As for why people want anthro games back specifically. Because there isn't a whole lot of decent new anthro characters showing up in the video game universe, but a lot of human characters, most of which are basically the same guy in a different outfit.

I must say, I am 110% against this action, I mean, quoting Wikipedia, '' A world of free knowledge will be lost ''. I say screw SOPA and PIPA, and all who agrees with me, sig this! We all detest the bill and will fight for the freedom of the Internet!

This is Bidoof. Many people loathe it with their lives. If you are of the few people who love this little beaver, put this in your sig. Started by Warrior Scolipede

Don't start you anthro crap Mugo. People don't care if they're anthros or humans or whatever. A shitty character is a shitty character.

I'll take that as a no -_-

Not that I think the game is anything to write home about either, but it does look pretty good for a mobile game.

As for why people want anthro games back specifically. Because there isn't a whole lot of decent new anthro characters showing up in the video game universe, but a lot of human characters, most of which are basically the same guy in a different outfit.
    I don't really think people care that much about anthros, especially given the reputation they tend to have in regards to all things Rule 34, but I would like to see less generic protagonists, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Don't start you anthro crap Mugo. People don't care if they're anthros or humans or whatever. A shitty character is a shitty character.
    Opinion. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    I don't really think people care that much about anthros, especially given the reputation they tend to have in regards to all things Rule 34, but I would like to see less generic protagonists, sure.
    I think it would be cool to see something new. Like not human, not anthro, and something that hasn't been done yet. There's so much that hasn't been turned into a protagonist that I think would be pretty cool.

As far as humans go, I wouldn't mind a few more characters with a more vibrant, less serious tone to them.

That wasn't my opinion. I'm saying that it doesn't matter what the character is. If it's bad, then it's bad.

I agree. I'm just saying whether a character is crappy or not is an opinion.

I think it would be cool to see something new. Like not human, not anthro, and something that hasn't been done yet. There's so much that hasn't been turned into a protagonist that I think would be pretty cool.
    There's not much else they can do, they've pretty much covered the entire spectrum of human/animal hybrids. They could go for inorganic stuff (like Sackboy or Knack), but that's going to get old as well.

As far as humans go, I wouldn't mind a few more characters with a more vibrant, less serious tone to them.
    Agreed, there's way too many dark, edgy characters out there (hell, even Sonic is guilty of this with characters like Shadow, Silver, and Blaze). I'm also sick of dark, edgy games in general, but that's another matter.

There's not much else they can do, they've pretty much covered the entire spectrum of human/animal hybrids. They could go for inorganic stuff (like Sackboy or Knack), but that's going to get old as well.
    Imagination is endless. You'd be surprised what the mind can come up with.

Agreed, there's way too many dark, edgy characters out there (hell, even Sonic is guilty of this with characters like Shadow, Silver, and Blaze). I'm also sick of dark, edgy games in general, but that's another matter.
    Ugh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one. Also, yeah. I didn't even like that in Sonic.

Ugh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one. Also, yeah. I didn't even like that in Sonic.
    I don't mind it as much in Sonic because there's still elements of lightheartedness, but the industry in general is oversaturated with those types of characters and games. It really makes me sick.

So has Mario, but people still like him. Frankly, I still like Sonic, and I probably will for a while. Sure, I'm not OBSESSED with Sonic, but I still like a lot of the games, even some of the newer ones. And a dated character, I'll admit his art style isn't all that cool compared to other anthro characters, but I still think he's got a decent style. As for the fan base, I just ignore it.
    I would argue that as of late, it is actually Mario that has become the new thing to hate, on account of the excessive amount of Mario games as of late. (I believe Nintendo say there will only be one NSMB title per system however so that's a relief)

I haven't heard many complaints about the Sonic franchise as a whole since Generations came out.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Zazie View Post
    I would argue that as of late, it is actually Mario that has become the new thing to hate, on account of the excessive amount of Mario games as of late. (I believe Nintendo say there will only be one NSMB title per system however so that's a relief)

I haven't heard many complaints about the Sonic franchise as a whole since Generations came out.
    It depends on who you talk to. Obviously, if you hang around anti-Nintendo people a lot, you're going to hear a lot of trash talk for games like Mario.

But Mario tends to get less hate than Sonic, because there's less to hate on. Sure, most Mario games in the last 5-6 years have been rehashy, but they're still solid games. There are few if any Mario games that could be considered "bad" by any means. Sonic, on the other hand, hasn't really nailed down a solid gameplay formula over the years, developing several gameplay styles with varying degrees of speed, platforming, and exploration to the point where no one can agree on what the gameplay should be like, introducing several questionable gameplay mechanics, putting out a few games that were glitchy and/or had bad controls, and storylines that range from lighthearted and cheesy to dark and edgy. So you have a lot of different groups saying a lot of different games are bad for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    Or maybe people dislike Sonic because he's a dated character? Or because the franchise has been milked over and over and has produced plenty of bad games? Or because it has one of, if not the worst fanbase in existence? Believe it or not, people might actually have a legit reason to dislike something and not because they want to look good in front of their peers.

That's the thing. No one mentions them anymore. But Sonic fans just got to keep him relevant for whatever reason. Why'd this thread get posted? Because there wasn't a Sonic thread and golly gee we just can't have that.
    Yeah, but that's the thing: Those bad games weren't recent. I can understand people saying a franchise is dying if its releasing bad games, but its daft to say something is dying because it released bad games at some point in its past. It feels like that no matter what Sonic does, even if his new games are genuinely enjoyable, people just go lol nope sonic 06 franchise dying forever.

And as for being dated or milked, a hell of a lot of franchises are like that and people don't give them anywhere near the flak sonic gets.

(And lastly you and I can hope as much as we want but a lack of new sonic games won't kill the worst bits of the sonic fandom by any stretch of the imagination.)
    Will-Powered Spriter

Quote Originally Posted by Will-powered Spriter View Post
    Yeah, but that's the thing: Those bad games weren't recent. I can understand people saying a franchise is dying if its releasing bad games, but its daft to say something is dying because it released bad games at some point in its past. It feels like that no matter what Sonic does, even if his new games are genuinely enjoyable, people just go lol nope sonic 06 franchise dying forever.

And as for being dated or milked, a hell of a lot of franchises are like that and people don't give them anywhere near the flak sonic gets.

(And lastly you and I can hope as much as we want but a lack of new sonic games won't kill the worst bits of the sonic fandom by any stretch of the imagination.)
    Couldn't have said it better myself, to be honest.

I want a new "Blinx The Time Sweeper". Not because it's a game containing "ANTHROPODS", but because it was a game I enjoyed. If the specific quality they want in more games is "Anthro characters"well, then that's really just a shallow aesthetic view on what makes video games good to them.

For Dorn
    For Terra
    For the Emperor

Unleashed is kinda recent, and that was the last bad game in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Nido Knight #034 View Post
    I want a new "Blinx The Time Sweeper". Not because it's a game containing "ANTHROPODS", but because it was a game I enjoyed. If the specific quality they want in more games is "Anthro characters"well, then that's really just a shallow aesthetic view on what makes video games good to them.
    I think what a lot of people want when they say "more anthro games" isn't so much more anthro games, but more GOOD ones. Even if the game stars an anthro character, if the game sucks, the game sucks. Honestly, though, I've noticed the plea for them a lot less then I did about five years ago. Maybe cause there actually is a few good ones.

I was listing reasons why people could dislike Sonic, not that "the franchise is dying because it had bad games." That's something entirely different.

You've heard of "The Sonic Cycle" right? If not here's a breakdown:

"This is the typical sonic cycle these days

1. New info release of new Sonic game, people say it’s gonna be Sonic’s comeback.
    2. More or less, hype is generated as info, screens, vids, etc. releases.
    3. Game comes out, it ends up like mediocre-****. People say nothing can save Sonic.
    4. Go back to #1"

This text was posted right near the tail-end of the stream of notoriously crappy Sonic games, in 2009 when The Black Knight was announced. It made its way around the internet, became popular, became a meme, blah blah blah. The reason why of course was because it was the truth. People got themselves hyped and disappointed. This is not so much the fault of the games (besides being mediocre themselves) but the fans got way too excited. They hoped that Sonic games could become just as good as they were in the "good ol' days" back on the Genesis. After the constant disappointments, that's what gave the franchise the reputation it has now. The constant attempts at trying to become cool and popular and edgy and hip and relevant again were working against it and were actually kind of funny.

Of course, I'm of the opinion that Sonic was only okay/average to begin with. So the screaming fans wanting back their glory days seem kind of silly to me. The constant need these people see to keep their relic alive is laughable.

Like?

It wouldn't hurt would it? But hey, I'm a wishful thinker. I still know there's next to no chance of that happening in the first place.

You've heard of "The Sonic Cycle" right? If not here's a breakdown:

"This is the typical sonic cycle these days

1. New info release of new Sonic game, people say it’s gonna be Sonic’s comeback.
    2. More or less, hype is generated as info, screens, vids, etc. releases.
    3. Game comes out, it ends up like mediocre-****. People say nothing can save Sonic.
    4. Go back to #1"

This text was posted right near the tail-end of the stream of notoriously crappy Sonic games, in 2009 when The Black Knight was announced. It made its way around the internet, became popular, became a meme, blah blah blah. The reason why of course was because it was the truth. People got themselves hyped and disappointed. This is not so much the fault of the games (besides being mediocre themselves) but the fans got way too excited. They hoped that Sonic games could become just as good as they were in the "good ol' days" back on the Genesis. After the constant disappointments, that's what gave the franchise the reputation it has now. The constant attempts at trying to become cool and popular and edgy and hip and relevant again were working against it and were actually kind of funny.

Of course, I'm of the opinion that Sonic was only okay/average to begin with. So the screaming fans wanting back their glory days seem kind of silly to me. The constant need these people see to keep their relic alive is laughable.
    Sonic can survive almost anything if he can survive the onslaught of 2006-2009 releases. That said, so can the fans
    Last.fm | Steam ID
    (come and play Team Fortress 2 with me!)

Actually, I wanted to increase my post count. Having said that, I don't think a character needs a new game every year to remain relevant. Sonic is relevant because he was a major part of video game history. It's like Atari. What have they done recently? Nothing significant, but they're still a relevant part of gaming because they helped shape the history of gaming.

On that note, let's move away from this "When will there be a new Sonic game?! / Why does it even matter?" nonsense. What was the first Sonic game you played?
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

Quote Originally Posted by pacman000 View Post
    Actually, I wanted to increase my post count. Having said that, I don't think a character needs a new game every year to remain relevant. Sonic is relevant because he was a major part of video game history. It's like Atari. What have they done recently? Nothing significant, but they're still a relevant part of gaming because they helped shape the history of gaming.
    That's a pretty good way of putting it, for pretty much any video game franchise.

On that note, let's move away from this "When will there be a new Sonic game?! / Why does it even matter?" nonsense. What was the first Sonic game you played?
    The first game I played was Sonic CD for PC. I still have the game, but sadly it doesn't work on newer version of windows. There is supposed to be a patch for it, but I could never get it to work.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

I played the series in a very odd order, but I did at least start with the first game. My parents have an old sega mega drive in the attic. After that, I think I played Sonic Advance and Sonic Heroes?
    Will-Powered Spriter

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast