Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Flames of a Red-Hot Reunion! (777)

Pidgeotto!! I was so sure they weren't going to show it, and retcon it out completely, but there it is! I don't even mind that they goofed on its head feathers, I'm just happy they finally referenced it after years and years. Easily the best part of this episode to me. I had uber-Pidgeotto love back then, and it seems like it hasn't gone away hah.

Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    • Eyes. Specifically Shoujo eyes. This episode made me realize Satoshi's BW eyes are a vast improvement over his old ones. These are better at emoting and conveying an aura of excitement when a badge is earned or fear when something dangerous is happening. I didn't notice fully until I saw older scenes, also Kasumi's new eyes looked nice. She looked so Hikari-ish, guess the writers made her more feminine in appearance.
    I think thats actually got something to do with how light brown has more depth and changeable tones in its colour palette than black. The colour depth in the flashback scenes made me really appreciate how much animation has moved on, particularly with light effects, when normally, Id be taking that stuff for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cresselia92 View Post
    Just like its number said, this was without doubt the "jackpot episode".
    What do you mean by that?

Quote Originally Posted by Sayho1234 View Post
    What do you mean by that?
    It's episode number 777, which is considered to be a lucky number by many.

I don't think it was a "jackpot episode" though. Like, I enjoyed it more than I enjoyed any other Episode N episode and all, but it wasn't perfect in my opinion. I could go into detail, but I don't want to start another flame war. I'll just say that some things weren't as interesting as they were originally hyped to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Agility View Post
    Pidgeotto!! I was so sure they weren't going to show it, and retcon it out completely, but there it is! I don't even mind that they goofed on its head feathers, I'm just happy they finally referenced it after years and years. Easily the best part of this episode to me. I had uber-Pidgeotto love back then, and it seems like it hasn't gone away hah.
    Why would you think Pidgeotto would be retconned?

I think it was more of a "I haven't seen or heard Pidgeotto referenced in ten years" fear about it being taken out. :P It was more, I didn't expect them to include that part of the cave scene, just the Charmander lighting his tail for everyone scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Agility View Post
    I think it was more of a "I haven't seen or heard Pidgeotto referenced in ten years" fear about it being taken out. :P It was more, I didn't expect them to include that part of the cave scene, just the Charmander lighting his tail for everyone scene.
    I'm pretty sure Pidgeot was in the Battle Frontier openings.

Really great episode, but N interrupting the battle was a huge downer. Hopefully we get to see a real Charizard vs Dragonite after N has left.

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightMelody View Post
    I just realized when this airs in the USA Sarah will have voiced every version of Ash
    Speaking of that, Ted Lewis will officially become the first original 4Kids dub actor for a main character to regain their original role in the dub when this episode (BW116) airs. Heck, Rachael Lillis may become Misty again for all we know (I doubt it...it'll probably be Michele Knotz).

I hope Sarah can pull off OS Ash...
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 8th March 2013 at 4:48 AM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon00151 View Post
    Really great episode, but N interrupting the battle was a huge downer. Hopefully we get to see a real Charizard vs Dragonite after N has left.
    It was a bit of a downer, but the outcome had they been allowed to continue was clear from what I saw anyway. Although N in general seemed off in this episode, he was just like another Cilan :/ He didn't even seem upset that essentially Iris and Ash's Pokemon were fighting for no reason. All this after he got upset at the COTD in the last episode actually using his Pokemon to fight fires, it's like wow lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    Speaking of that, Ted Lewis will officially become the first original 4Kids dub actor for a main character to regain their original role in the dub when this episode (BW116) airs. Heck, Rachael Lillis may become Misty again for all we know (I doubt it...it'll probably be Michele Knotz).

I hope Sarah can pull off OS Ash. XD.
    Actually he already had that honor when he came back to voice Giovanni in DP. Rachel I doubt, she seemed to just be a one time deal from what I could tell.

It'll be the same Ash :P

(credit goes to Skiyomi)

Quote Originally Posted by gohan5 View Post
    It was a bit of a downer, but the outcome had they been allowed to continue was clear from what I saw anyway. Although N in general seemed off in this episode, he was just like another Cilan :/ He didn't even seem upset that essentially Iris and Ash's Pokemon were fighting for no reason. All this after he got upset at the COTD in the last episode actually using his Pokemon to fight fires, it's like wow lol.

Actually he already had that honor when he came back to voice Giovanni in DP. Rachel I doubt, she seemed to just be a one time deal from what I could tell.

It'll be the same Ash :P
    I mean as Tracey (you know, someone who's actually been in the traveling party, who doesn't appear once every 100 episodes), as I don't consider Giovanni a main character or really that important until BW tbh. xD.

Yeah, I agree on Rachael.

Well, this will be an interesting episode for the dub to say the least. This could be good or bad depending on how the dubbers feel...

Ash's BW eye-style feels so awkward seeing OS Ash with it for some reason.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 8th March 2013 at 4:57 AM.
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Charizard is the only pokemon who could make slash and wing attack look that epic.

I just wish they didn't make him associate himself with the plebes. Only krookodile and Pignite really deserve to breathe the same air as the almighty charizard. I'm afraid boldore, mijumaru, and snivy will drag him down like Axew, emolga, and excadrill did Dragonite :/

I hate to be "That guy", but I really didn't find this episode too great.

It was a clip show basically, just trying to show how awesome Charizard is. Not to mention N interrupting the battle, which I still don't see the fanbase for his character (Yes he is my profile pic, but I'm still not a fan of his), and Charizard's nerfed moveset just brings it all down. Dragon Tail, I can live with since Dragonbreath was just a Dragon type Flamethrower. But why Slash and Wing Attack of all moves? What was wrong with Steel Wing and Seismic Toss?

They had better have something good planned, and I'm not talking about this stupid Episode N Arc at all. Charizard returning just seems completely pointless as well as the very premise of this entire arc.
    My deviantArt

U mad bro?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    I mean as Tracey (someone who's been in the traveling party, who doesn't appear once every 100 episodes), as I don't consider Giovanni that important until BW tbh. xD.

Yeah, I agree on Rachael.

Well, this will be an interesting episode for the dub to say the least. XD.

Even if Sarah manages to pull off a similar voice, Ash's BW eye-style feels so awkward seeing OS Ash for some reason.
    But, Tracey didn't speak I don't think, and he still doesn't appear as much as Giovanni lol. Plus he came first. Giovanni is the main role for Ted, not Tracey.

Her voice isn't gonna change, she is Ash now. Just as the eyes now supercede the previous series, so does her voice. She hasn't and won't try to mimic her predecessor.
    Last edited by gohan5; 8th March 2013 at 5:02 AM.

(credit goes to Skiyomi)

Quote Originally Posted by gohan5 View Post
    But, Tracey didn't speak I don't think, and he still doesn't appear as much as Giovanni lol. Plus he came first. Giovanni is the main role for Ted, not Tracey.

Her voice isn't gonna change, she is Ash now. Just as the eyes now supercede the previous series, so does her voice. She hasn't and won't try to mimic her predecessor.
    Fair enough. Tracey hasn't even been shown since DP001 until this ep. XD.

Oh well, Ash's Sugimori eyestyle in a flashback of the earlier eps doesn't even feel right to me for some reason, so I can accept that Sarah's voicing his...newly animated, earlier self. I should know by now how the older chars are gonna sound when they are shown in the dub...like they always have since Season 9. Takes away all the nostalgia I have for those seasons...lol.

I'm gonna watch the sub version of this one, and only check out the dub depending on what one of my friends Matt says. At least I can get used to the eye-style first.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 8th March 2013 at 5:12 AM.

Tracey didn't have any lines at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Tracey didn't have any lines at all.
    lol. Why am I not surprised? XD.

I'll go check out the raw of this episode when I can find it.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 8th March 2013 at 5:16 AM.

Misty/Brock only had a few lines too, mostly the same dialogue from when Charmander was in the rain.

Misty/Brock only had a few lines too, mostly the same dialogue from when Charmander was in the rain.
    That'll be easy to adjust to in the dub, then.

How much does Ash talk, though? Gotta brace for impact there. Looks like his scenes are pretty heavy.

I wonder if TPCi will give Damien an Australian accent like 4Kids did. Or, "Mommy!" XD.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 8th March 2013 at 5:21 AM.

Err were you expecting more or different lines?

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Err were you expecting more or different lines?
    Who knows? It's the writers: they can do anything they want!

Just curious, but were there any other inconsistencies between the original scenes and those shown in the flashbacks? I mean aside from the Charmander capture scene obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Charizard is the only pokemon who could make slash and wing attack look that epic.

I just wish they didn't make him associate himself with the plebes. Only krookodile and Pignite really deserve to breathe the same air as the almighty charizard. I'm afraid boldore, mijumaru, and snivy will drag him down like Axew, emolga, and excadrill did Dragonite :/
    Why so pressed over some Unova Pokemon? Like, I don't understand how Pokemon like Oshawott or Snivy would "drag" Charizard down because, if I remember correctly, you believe that Charizard will overtake all of Ash's Unova Pokemon in popularity anyway (which I don't agree with, but whatever). So you should have nothing to worry about.

I can't @ how Oshawott still leaves some people seething even though he hasn't done anything major lately. Don't worry, Charizard still has a lot of hype. He won't fade.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciccone View Post
    Just curious, but were there any other inconsistencies between the original scenes and those shown in the flashbacks? I mean aside from the Charmander capture scene obviously.
    Ash's BW eyes on the older incarnations of himself are a surprisingly tough adjustment for me to make from the original JPN version, actually. Was not expecting so much of that at all. You can call that consistency with the BW animation, but an inconsistency with the designs for OS, AG, and DP Ash with the black coloration of his eyes being more pronounced.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 8th March 2013 at 5:25 AM.

It was nice to see the old characters again even if they were all shown briefly. I was excited to see Tracey the most. Wow, never expected that they would include him for once. Kinda disappointed he didnt say anything though. This probably means we wont see him again for another 200 or so episodes now as usual.
    I loved all the pretty colours at the fair too, it was like a rainbow exploded or something.
    I hope they do something like this again although thats probably asking a lot.
    And of course Charizard, seeing that guy again was awesome.
    Last edited by Sakaki; 8th March 2013 at 6:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shneak View Post
    Rolling my eyes at everyone hailing this episode as the Prophet. It was basically a clip show.

The concept makes me really angry. Ash brought Charizard back because he got nostalgic. Yeah, screw Bulbasaur and Squirtle, which actually appeared on screen. Also, screw the Unova team, because you're too boring in comparison to Ash's Charizard. Ash could have got nostalgic for anything, but he chose the most overrated Pokemon to come back and usurp a spot in his party.

It's a good thing that the flashbacks got updated with the new animation, otherwise it would have been completely dull. They couldn't even bring back Gary, Ritchie, Liza or Claire.

N interrupting the battle was unfortunate. Dragonite was so close to winning too.
    Careful bro, your extreme bias is showing....

Charizard dominated that battle lol. The one hit he even got in didn't faze Charizard.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

-I actually really liked how this was handled. They could've come up with some reason for Oak to say Ash had to keep Charizard for awhile, but instead they had Ash actually be somewhat proactive and got Charizard purely of his own initiative.

-I was impressed at how much of Charizard's run was captured, even stuff like his battle against Koga. It was cool seeing the HD remastering of those old episodes.

-Since they showed him, I really would like to see Charizard's old trainer return at some point, maybe in the tournament at the end of Best Wishes.

-I wonder if they'd ever actually go back and do full remastered versions of some of the older episodes.

-I found it a little odd that N didn't seem at all unhappy about the Charmander being used to put on a show. It seems like the kind of thing he might consider insulting to Pokemon.

-We really saw N's lighter side in this episode, he was even goofing around with Cilan. It seemed a little odd to me.

-It was great to finally see a non-tournament battle between two of the trio end decisively for once.

-I'm guessing that's it for Unfeazent in Best Wishes since they made a big point of saying she was the one leaving and Charizard is taking over flying duties now.

This episode was almost pure fanservice, but honestly, for those who have stuck around since Kanto, they were due for some.
    Defeated Super Single Subway Master Ingo - August 19th, 2013

Searching for: Litwick - Near Perfect IVs, Manetric (Shiny) - Good IVs, Switcheroo
    Can offer high IV'd Bagons, Digletts, and Darumakas, as well as DWs, Pokerus, and more, PM me if interesting in negotiating.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast