Oh and N needs to go away ....his no battling crap is getting anoying.
Oh and N needs to go away ....his no battling crap is getting anoying.
Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!
A great return for Charizard though he looked a little... well... pot-bellied (or is that just me? Sorry Charizard!)
The battle was great fun. Then N stopped it. Way to ruin it.
Nice to see the writers acknowledging that Ash does have other pokemon. Its kinda why I wanted there to be a Johto Battle Frontier series after Sinnoh - a legitimate way for everyone to be seen again. It has always bugged me on some level that all of Ash's pokemon are with him for one region then essentially abandoned and forgotten about at Oak's lab for another two or three (or ten) years.
Nice to see Pidgeotto making an appearance (with Pidgeot's head feathers) How long has it been since he was acknowledged in the anime (apart from openings) - the gym battle against Falkner maybe? And that's got to be the first time Primeape has been referenced to in... well, I don't think he's been referred to since he was released.
Slash and Wing Attack looked good enough to allow me to overlook the fact that they are Slash and Wing Attack, and Dragon Tail makes a nice addition. Still got Flamethrower though. I was kind of hoping that it would be upgraded to Heat Wave or Blast Burn or Fire Blast or... any move that is not Flamethrower. It's not that I hate the move, its just that anything that has ever breathed fire in the anime has done so using Flamethrower. Remember how cool Eruption looked when Quilava used it? Well that's because it wasn't Flamthrower. Oh well, maybe one day...
Still, great episode, and I look forward to seeing more of Charizard and Dragonite.
This is now officially the best BW episode imo. I loved all the flashbacks, especially the flashbacks where Charizard battles Aerodactyl, Magmar, Blastoise, and Articuno. It was nice to see Tracy, Misty, and Brock make an appearance too. The battle was awesome, even though it was fast paced and went unresolved, it still showed that Charizard is stronger than Dragonite. I give it a 10/10.
Bit lazy having a 'miniature Pidgeot' in the cave flashback scene
Having traveled through the Kanto (x2), Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos regions, plus the Orange & Decolore Islands, competing in six regional Pokémon League competitions, winning the Orange League, defeating the Kanto Battle Frontier, seeing/ meeting each of the rare and powerful Legendary/ Mythical Pokémon, some on numerous occasions, and continually fighting vigilantly against six villainous teams, Ash has apparently now decided to go to school.
Anybody saw the Magikarp Salesman? :O I didn't notice at first til I rewatched the ep, such a nice detail there, still people being tricked by him. :P
I still have yet to find the correct word sequence that would allow me to watch the episode...
Swellow and Staraptor battling for her love but she is inot Noctowl that gets her with his intelect, haha.
Magikarp Salesman was the best part of this episode. HELL YEAH!
Charizard was totally awesome, i liked the battle scene. Bad that N stopped it, oh well.
So Ash, where was your CURRENT brain during the League? You should've used all the oldies you had, and you'd whoop Cameron and Virgil in no time.
This episode is "****ing epic". First and all, this episode is the episodes with more number of flashbacks to date!!!! I think that in total, the flashback last a whopping 4 minutes!? I don't believe it!!!!
And to add that, they care aout reediting ALL of those scenes to HD (16:9), and re-drawn all the characters to current style, including Best Wishes eyes and the evolution animation!!! Really, the only exception was Pikachu's Iron Tail not being mechanic.
The reason of those flashback isn't for older fans. They are from younger fans who have started watching in Best Wishes, or in Diamond and Pearl and they don't know about Charizard.
In general the flashback is a 10/10.
I know that the battle won't have a winner at all. And I liked the reference that Charizard isn't a Dragon type like Iris believed. "such's a kid".
About other details of the episode:
About Unfezant, I think that the purpose of the Unova's reserves is to have a variety of pokemon for the league. The league has ended (well...) and the reserves has made a purpose. I think that the rest of reserves will be at Oak off-screen. And because I don't think that Charizard is going to e the only pokemon appearing, we can say that with the exception of Boldore (Episode N) and Scraggy (baby status and relationship with Axew) that his Unova team reserves won't get showcashing. Now the OFFICIAL team of Ash until the end of Best Wishes will be:
-Pikachu, Snivy, Oshawott, Pignite, Charizard and a Pokemon R, while R is any of the Ash's reserves, including past ones.
I think that Slash is a wildcard for the "big" battles where Ash would get Sky Drop?.
But there's episode has one complain confirmed. Cilan has dissappeared from the anime as fara s screentime is concerded. They show a complete team of Ash, they show all of Iris' team but they don't show any of Cilan's team. Really, Cilan in Season 2 (and N) has less screentime than Dawn, Meloetta, Cameron, Team Rocket TRio and in 2 weeks, N And latter, Achroma. And this is not counting specific pokemon.
I give the episode a 9,5/10. One of the best epoisodes of Best Wishes.
Let's see what everyone says about this episode after the Nostalgia specs are taken off.
Rolling my eyes at everyone hailing this episode as the Prophet. It was basically a clip show.
The concept makes me really angry. Ash brought Charizard back because he got nostalgic. Yeah, screw Bulbasaur and Squirtle, which actually appeared on screen. Also, screw the Unova team, because you're too boring in comparison to Ash's Charizard. Ash could have got nostalgic for anything, but he chose the most overrated Pokemon to come back and usurp a spot in his party.
It's a good thing that the flashbacks got updated with the new animation, otherwise it would have been completely dull. They couldn't even bring back Gary, Ritchie, Liza or Claire.
N interrupting the battle was unfortunate. Dragonite was so close to winning too.
So anyone think Mijumaru should have been sent packing to Oaks? Or having krookodile complete the trinity of badass over boldore?
I just realized when this airs in the USA Sarah will have voiced every version of Ash
There's a tyrant king with a reptile heart
And he's started a wave of crime now
From his ship high above he abducted my love
For the fourteenth or fifteenth time now
Still i think the best part of this episodes were the expressions of the characters.
Overall, I think it was a good episode and I really appreciated the flashbacks. Pidgeotto and Primeape! Ash and Charizard fist bump! Magikarp Salesman!
With that said, I'm going to go ahead and nit-pick the flashbacks just because it's fun.
1. The new animation on these older scenes was a little off-putting...especially the eyes on Ash & Misty. Brock has no problems with this, obviously. The pokemon also looked plastic-y and a little goofy (mostly just Charmeleon and the Kanto Trio). I know this is how they look in the current day anime but the difference between drawing styles (OS & BW) really shines with these flashbacks.
2. Speaking of weight, chubby Pikachu, where are you?
3. In the OS, the hospital room looked somber and Charmander was shaking while Joy checked it out. Both were missing in the flashback.
4. Charmander had much more swag walking out of the PokeCenter in the OS.
5. Charmander didn't open the pokeball mid-air to catch itself in the OS, it jumped into the air and the pokeball opened up automatically to catch it. Psyduck is the only pokemon in Kanto who poked the pokeball to catch itself much to Misty's horror.
6. In the OS Charmander vs Primeape battle, Primeape tossed Charmander to the opposite side when it bit its glove/hand. Also, Primeape wasn't pushed backwards from the force of Charmander's flamethrower at the end. It stayed in place while being burned.
7. Charmander vs Golbat was really different. When Golbat used supersonic, Charmander tried to use its flamethrower a couple of times but missed. However, that caused Golbat to stop using supersonic (the flashback made it seem like Charmander's first flamethrower attempt not only stopped Golbat's supersonic but KO'd it as well). Charmander actually won by using fire spin to defeat Koga's Golbat. It literally wrapped rings of fire around Golbat until it turned into a crisp.
8. In Snow Way Out, Charmander's flame was huge before it eventually tired out. During the super cute scene of them keeping warm, Pikachu swapped places. In the OS, it was near Ash's leg. In the flashback, it was on Ash's lap almost knocking poor Bulbasaur over. Also, Pidgeotto's head coloring was wrong. It's supposed to be pink only! They instead gave it Pidgeot's yellow/pink coloring instead lol.
9. Charmander's evolving looked fine until Charmeleon appeared. He looked really different and in a bad way. Aside from that, in the OS, Charmeleon used a flamethrower towards the sky while Ash used a Pokedex to scan it (the flashback had him immediately giving it a hug). Afterwards, Ash goes to give it a hug and once he pulls back, Charmeleon hits his ear with a flamethrower and looks off expressionless (the flashback had Charmeleon burning his whole entire face and smirking at it afterwards).
10. Charmeleon vs (not shown Paras). Charmeleon was ready to go when it came to battling Paras but it's mood swiftly changed after Ash told it to go lightly on it. After beating the tar out of Paras, Ash gets burned by a p'd off Charmeleon. The flashback made it seem like it burned Ash right after getting released from it's pokeball just because.
11. Charmeleon's evolution was also different/rushed. In the flashback, Charmeleon points and touches his head a while in the OS he does a quasi-salute/dust-it-off motion. Charmeleon also pounds his chest like Tarzan for a while then evolves compared to evolving right after Aerodactyl insults him. Oh, and Aerodactyl has orange feet now lol.
12. Charizard's debut was pretty glorious in the OS as they allowed us to soak up his new look where as the flashback had it going straight to battle after evolving.
Overall, I watch my Indigo League DVD's often so I didn't get hit with a nostalgia bomb but I still enjoyed it. I'll pin the flashback inconsistencies on Ash's memory minus the coloring issues.
Forget Charizard, I was happy to see Primeape in an actual episode again ^_^
3DS code:1048-8163-5480Snowflakes in a Fire image? Don't question Pokemon logic
Image made by me
*Walks into thread like a bad witch* Queen Ciccone has arrived to throw shade and drag this episode through filth. No, not really. I actually liked this episode. Like, I was really glad that Tracey got to appear if only for 15 seconds; I don't think anyone expected him to appear at all, but I like surprises like these. Also, the flashbacks were good, although I am super pressed that Misty appeared for like a couple of seconds and wasn't featured as much as I had wanted. But the fact that a flashback of how Ash lost the Indigo League because of Charizard was shown kind of made up for that; y'all know I had to point that out. The fact that Oak had Charizard's Poke Ball seemed inconsistent with previously established events, and the battle didn't last nearly as long as I had hoped, but at least the episode brought back fond memories of Misty and all the other characters I've missed.
Last edited by Lorde; 7th March 2013 at 11:59 PM.
This episode was awesome. Seeing old characters and Pokemon in updated animation was refreshing. Now Sinnoh Ash is the only one not to have appeared with the updated animation style. Pidgeotto and Primeape were easily one of the best parts of the episode. Kinda upset at how short the battle was, but whatever. It's obvious who would have won if it continued. xD
I'm glad to see Primeape and Pidgeotto in an episode again along with Misty and Brock. I'm so glad Charizard is back.
Really good episode, if I could give it a good name title. It feels like a clip show done very, very right.
- I liked seeing Satoshi point out the Kanto Starters like that, really adorable scene to see him so hyped for it. The Kanto festival in all was really something nice to see, even though it was brief I liked seeing the Kanto Pokemon merchandise and Hitokage was a really cute Pokemon. This is my first time watching one in Japanese and it was klutzy but entertaining for its short time on-screen. That use of Ember in a weird, rotating rendition was adorable and poor thing had a high tolerance for pain to be able to stomach a bunch of crap falling on it.
- The flASHbacks were my favorite part of this episode surprisingly. Now this is how things should be done, the reanimated scenes were beautiful, Iwane really outdid himself this episode. I noticed a few small proportion errors when it came to the arm/hand size of the older characters but it wasn't something that bothered me heavily. It's only natural they'd be out of experience with drawing such older characters and scenes. Back to the flashbacks, they were awesome. Didn't expect to see Rage(I think it was Rage from the dialogue) in the anime, looked like a generic Flamethrower though and Hitokage's old red-carpet battles. Wish Fire Spin wasn't turned into a generic Flamethrower in the Pink Badge Gym flashback.
I liked seeing the bird, the bulb, the turtle, the rat, and Satoshi all cuddled up together, heartwarming scene. Noticed the Japanese text got warped into Tajirian in Hitokage's evolution scene. Lizardo's evolution during the fossil episode reanimated was amazing, it reminds you how many times Satoshi got barbecued by Lizardon and his competitive spirit. It's such a huge contrast to the timid Magmarashi, vengeful Goukazaru, badass adorable Chaobu, and emotional Cotoise. Sure they all share character aspects with abuse in some form but they're all vastly different in personality and actions.
Glad to see S-Toss's moon animation wasn't *****d out in the flashbacks. It looks better that way to me, I liked seeing Hiroshi's Leon. Would have been nice to get a shot of Hiroshi however. Satoshi defrosting Lizardon is always an awesome scene to see, one of his biggest breakthroughs as a trainer in my book. Was kinda surprised to see Iron Tail's old animation wasn't retconned back during the flashback to the 8th Jouto Gym. AG Satoshi looked the best holding up the knowledge simple with his BW irises.
Those flashbacks really made me wanna go back and watch older episodes.
- Eyes. Specifically Shoujo eyes. This episode made me realize Satoshi's BW eyes are a vast improvement over his old ones. These are better at emoting and conveying an aura of excitement when a badge is earned or fear when something dangerous is happening. I didn't notice fully until I saw older scenes, also Kasumi's new eyes looked nice. She looked so Hikari-ish, guess the writers made her more feminine in appearance.
- Liked seeing Iris so excited to meet Lizardon and the Kanto fear and so engrossed in Satoshi's story and the battle itself. Her auto-assuming Lizardon to be a Dragon-type was cute as well, I just thought it was kinda weird how freaked out she got over making a mistake on a Pokemon's typing. I'm like, "Calm the **** down." She really thought she had things in the palm of her hand with a super-effective Dragon Rush. Kibago's small teasing was adorable. Still waiting for the writers to acknowledge that Kibago's Dragon Rage looks like a Lizardon. Thus Lizardon will be here until the end of the Genesect movie at least, excellent. Though the writers better not make Chaobu obsolete, still love that guy.
- Dento and N's split scene together rocked. Also N pulling a Shirona, didn't see that coming. Satoshi-tachi Quartet mesh well together
- NegaiRyuuShipping :P Interactions between and short battle with Kairyu and Lizardon was entertaining. Why did Dento not send out his Pokemon to meet Lizardon? I mean, I get he wasn't a fraction as excited as Iris but still it would have been nice. The blooming rivalry between Kairyu and Lizardon and their instant interactions on a dime were great. Kairyu loving show off his guns and Lizardon loves roaring. :3 Dragon Rush's animation was beautiful. I didn't actually expect Kairyu to tower over Lizardon, Iwane takes the Pokemon Zukan's height seriously. Those two were all at the end like, "You're strong, I'm strong. So let's just do this." Epic.
- fffffuuuu Waruvial or Zuruggu should have been there over Gantle. It's at least nice to know Kenharou is gonna have races on Okido-Hakase's ranch with the other birds.
Huh....this episode reminds me how long I've been watching this show and I still love it. :-)