View Poll Results: Will you be playing in the 2013IC-M?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (MAKE SURE TO READ THE ENTIRE 1st POST)

39 79.59%
  • Maybe

1 2.04%
  • No

9 18.37%
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 International Challenge - March (Official Play! Pokemon Wi-Fi Tournament)

OT: Tyler
    Sprite: Scientist
    Age Division: Seniors
    Friend Code: 3053 5889 1248
    Team: Tyranitar, Excadrill, Steelix, Flygon, Lucario and Gliscor
    Last edited by Greatemboar; 13th March 2013 at 10:42 PM.
    These two songs describe me well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58QOBqAWNzE (Top Gun- Danger zone)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osuhlptx0J8 (Rascal Flatts- Life is a Highway)

Hey guys! The Sign Ups have begun! Go and sign up soon! ;D

Can't wait for this to start :3

My FC: 2594-9889-0820

Sweet! Im so stoked

Cred to Astral Shadow for banner
    ASB TL 1, 17 TP
    Play MLG Smash Bros? Contact me @Tythaeus to schedule a match. :]

This is going to be great

Here I am for another Challenge. Just hope to do better than last time which was a disgrace I won't have time for a lot of battles but I'll try to win the most I can with my own team ^^

OT: Nuno
    Trainer Sprite: Ace Trainer
    Age Division: Master
    Friend Code: Don't know yet
    Team: Tornadus-I / Ninetales / Salamence / Gallade / Sawsbuck / Typhlosion

3DS Friend Code: 3866-8099-9870 - Nuno

Super Secret Base | Double Battles | QR Code

Beta Competition Masters Division: W25 L9 - Rating 1736 - Ranking 100th
    June International Challenge Masters Division: W10 L7 - Rating 1544 - Ranking 2784th

Overall WiFi Double Battle Record: W48 L20

I have never done a double battle tourny, so this will be a hard one for me.
    85% of statistics are made up on the spot, don't bother putting this in your signature, because i made this statistic up too.

Quote Originally Posted by floodz66 View Post
    I have never done a double battle tourny, so this will be a hard one for me.
    Practice on Pokemon Showdown!

Feel like you need a little more Pokemon in your life? Tune into our show!
    EPISODE 55 - SLOWPOKE HOLIDAY
    Looking for something Pokemon-related to listen to while playing through Pokemon XY? This episode is for you!!
    Released: 12/11/14

Guess who claimed Luxray?!

Now for the moment we have all been waiting for... THE WAIT

OT: Marti
    Trainer Sprite: Ace Trainer
    Age Division: Masters
    Friend Code: ----
    Message: I never miss Pokémon! It's part of what I do everyday! (I think?)
    Team: not decided yet

Tick.......Tock........Tick.........Tock.........T ick.......Toc

HURRY UP ALREADY XP

Cred to Astral Shadow for banner
    ASB TL 1, 17 TP
    Play MLG Smash Bros? Contact me @Tythaeus to schedule a match. :]

Lol, signed up at 4am this morning (UK time). Now gotta wait til next week
    In the meantime I might RNG a few more possible team members

Actually, I'm happy about the wait. My team still isn't ready...

I better put Fire Emblem down and get my lazy rear to work if I want to be in this tourny.

I guess i should work on a team, kinda thinking of doing hail this time and mixing it up rather than tweaking the old team. Will post form when i have a team ready or i remember to

RIP Ice Grabbers
    Super Smash Bros. Melee - Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Nana you're too smart for a 3DS.
    *credit to PurpleBlitz for drac stuff*

Edited a few teams yesterday, fyi. I'll try to do more soon, yeah? (:
    And welcome back, familiar faces! I look forward to battling alongside you all! Hopefully I can get this team done so we can finally get some practice battles done and over with. Shout outs to Shreyas, Morpher01, Bestgamepearl(for not having a sign up yet. xD), Zachmac (Garbodor is boss), Kuzkan, Joltik-Kid, joej m, MSK and anyone else I missed. It's so nice to see people consistently playing in these tournaments, like me.

I've gone through like, 3 team changes (and a total of 4 teams) in the time span that this tournament was announced. All with the premise of NOT running Trick Room, which I'd been running since the Autumn Friendly of 2011, when it was the hipster thing to do. xD

I had a super slow team without Trick Room (for some God forsaken reason), utilizing old star Follow Me Togekiss, Wide Guard Conkeldurr, Substitute Harvest Exeggutor, and Gastrodon (of course among other things but they weren't really my shine). And Empoleon.

Nixed that when I noticed that the speed of my team was huge problem, and I just couldn't find a way to really exploit anything for the better.

Came up with two teams at this time; a sand team that didn't abuse Sand at all, running Mold Breaker Excadrill, IntimiMence, and Choice Scarf T-tar (and Togekiss of course). I decided I liked my other team better though, comprised of Hone Claws+Dragon Rush Garchomp, Overheat+Fire Gem Rotom-Heat, Gastro (cos this thing is super cute), Bug Gem Heracross, and, of course, Follow Me Togekiss. And Empoleon.

Spoiler:- Empoleon Rant:

But I was in the shower, and a spark of creativity just washed over me, and I all but lept out of the shower (of course after cleaning up and stuff, doing shower stuff) to go and punch it into Pokemon Showdown. And that team is the team you see in the OP, the updated version of the last team above. (: BUT I LOST TOGEKISS CREYS

So ready for this tournament. I just need to finish breeding this Nidoran f for my friend so he can trade me my Rotom, and then I can EV train it and Timburr, plus re-EV my Volcarona and Empoleon.
    Last edited by jstinftw!; 15th March 2013 at 2:00 AM. Reason: q

Looking for something Pokemon-related to listen to while playing through Pokemon XY? This episode is for you!!

Quote Originally Posted by jstinftw! View Post
        Spoiler:- Empoleon Rant:

But I was in the shower, and a spark of creativity just washed over me, and I all but lept out of the shower (of course after cleaning up and stuff, doing shower stuff) to go and punch it into Pokemon Showdown. And that team is the team you see in the OP, the updated version of the last team above. (: BUT I LOST TOGEKISS CREYS

So ready for this tournament. I just need to finish breeding this Nidoran f for my friend so he can trade me my Rotom, and then I can EV train it and Timburr, plus re-EV my Volcarona and Empoleon.
    I know empoleon is alright in singles, especially in UU. Might be worth a try, always liked him since gen 4

RIP Ice Grabbers
    Super Smash Bros. Melee - Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Nana you're too smart for a 3DS.
    *credit to PurpleBlitz for drac stuff*

Quote Originally Posted by Bestgamepearl View Post
    I know empoleon is alright in singles, especially in UU. Might be worth a try, always liked him since gen 4
    The main thing with Empoleon is removing its threats. Thundurus is a huge pain in the rear, both Incarnate and Therian formes, and every Fighting type that outspeeds can give it trouble. In Trick Room he was much more of a sweeper, but without it, he's more of a really good switch in, able to take any non-Super effective hit like a champ. He's great for screwing with your opponent's strategy, and forcing them to either make a bad play or go onto the defensive, and ultimately, in the end (hopefully not in a situation where you're like, on your last Pokemon and they have like 3 left), a great late game sweeper.

You know what they say justin... All the great ideas come in the shower (almost all of them xD)
    You actually insiped me to use togekiss for the first time ever xD
    I probably wont use him in this tournament yet idk... i might still change my team x)
    Proud member of Club Double Trouble

Thank you for the VGC Sub-Forum <3

Quote Originally Posted by KuzKan View Post
    You know what they say justin... All the great ideas come in the shower (almost all of them xD)
    You actually insiped me to use togekiss for the first time ever xD
    I probably wont use him in this tournament yet idk... i might still change my team x)
    Hahah fair enough! I don't think Togekiss works on every team, that's for sure. But Togekiss is definitely great for helping set up sweepers, speed control, and overall support. Not to mention a really nice Special Attack stat, great movepool, and some much appreciated flinch hax An interesting thing I saw online was Choice Scarf Togekiss with Air Slash. Super fast flinch hax that has some decent bulk? Man.

If you can fit it on your team, and find use for it, you can't go wrong with Togekiss. (:

Quote Originally Posted by zombieoverkill12 View Post
    Im sorry but who? Never heard of that person...
    But anyway which kind of team you guys think might do the best this time? My vote goes to TR :P
    Just saw this, haha.

As much as I love Trick Room, and how viable I think it is, I do not think Trick Room will be the best team in the format. It's a great team, and I love it (I had to consciously stop myself from making another Trick Room team), but there are so many flaws to them to prevent them from being the best. Setting it up is one really big problem; there are so many ways to stop it (OHKO, double target, Taunt, Imprison, counter-Trick Room). Keeping it up is also a big problem; Double Protect, switch, Substitute, Double Protect, alternating Protects. You have essentially 4 turns to defeat your opponent, and unfortunately, if your opponent plays smart (not too hard to do), they will drop your Trick Room. And lastly, most teams have Trick Room counters. Koreans, for example, commonly have Escavalier, which deals big damage to like EVERYTHING. Setting up Trick Room is like setting up your doom. Some players have Pokemon with middle speed, or one or two slow Pokemon, so that if Trick Room goes up, they can still have a fighting chance.

In the end, Trick Room is too hard to pilot for it to be the over most effective team. Honestly, Rain or Sand is going to be the winningest teams. It really just depends on what everyone is preparing for; if the overall consensus is to counter Rain, Sand will most likely be the winningest team. If everyone's trying to counter Sand, Rain will be the winningest team. Goodstuffs will come in between, and then Randomstuff (probably in-game teams). Or Trick Room, if the Japanese and maybe Koreans play a big part in the tournament.
    Last edited by jstinftw!; 15th March 2013 at 2:14 AM.

I never used any evolution of togepi in my life and i feel kinda bad for it actually xD
    After seeing all that potential...
    Idk which pokemon i will use with him yet, i dont have that good of imagination so i need some time but ill definetely gonna use him in the next friendly

Quote Originally Posted by KuzKan View Post
    I never used any evolution of togepi in my life and i feel kinda bad for it actually xD
    After seeing all that potential...
    Idk which pokemon i will use with him yet, i dont have that good of imagination so i need some time but ill definetely gonna use him in the next friendly
    togekiss is evil with breloom.
    two reason why they are amazing together:
    one: tailwind from togekiss makes breloom a huge threat.
    two: follow me makes it even more annoying. if they think they have your brelom with a priority move, think again, togekiss can tank that hit.

for togekiss run this set:
    Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 164 SDef / 12 Speed
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Follow Me
    - Air Slash
    - Thunder Wave / Reflect
    - Softboiled / Roost

i got it from this article off NB: http://nuggetbridge.com/beginners/fo...-do-they-work/
    i have been trying to find partners for it other than breloom... but its pairing with breloom is just so good i can't find anything else xD

for breloom run:
    12 hp/252 attack/244 speed
    jolly nature
    focus sash
    technician abilty
    mach punch
    bullet seed
    spore
    protect
    set goal: spore everything, and good weather canceler. its typing and speed is great for weather canceling. its typing can get rid of sand and rain inducers, two highly used tactics, as well as being a semi check to hail. technician is also a blessing, making dat bullet seed kill of a ton of pokemon. seed bomb could be used. but if you do the math 3 bullet seeds is a lot stronger than a seed bomb. and two is pretty close to it due to technician.

dont put sand or hail on the team because it kills the point of the sash. life orb could also be used on it, but sash is usually a bit better.

your welcome in advance :3
    Last edited by joej m; 15th March 2013 at 4:30 AM.

Back when I used to run Togekiss on my team, it worked so well with my Heracross set. Follow Me, and Thunder Wave/Tailwind really does help Heracross pull off a sweep.

My FC: 2594-9889-0820

i could probably fit him quite well with volcarona aswell hmmm
    we still got a week until the tournament... to be honest im not glad with my team because of 2 obvious pokemons, im considering them because i wanna try something out.
    maybe ill trade off both of them to fit togekiss and another one idk...

Well, I'm now registered and all set to go.

As much as I love Trick Room, and how viable I think it is, I do not think Trick Room will be the best team in the format. It's a great team, and I love it (I had to consciously stop myself from making another Trick Room team), but there are so many flaws to them to prevent them from being the best. Setting it up is one really big problem; there are so many ways to stop it (OHKO, double target, Taunt, Imprison, counter-Trick Room). Keeping it up is also a big problem; Double Protect, switch, Substitute, Double Protect, alternating Protects. You have essentially 4 turns to defeat your opponent, and unfortunately, if your opponent plays smart (not too hard to do), they will drop your Trick Room. And lastly, most teams have Trick Room counters. Koreans, for example, commonly have Escavalier, which deals big damage to like EVERYTHING. Setting up Trick Room is like setting up your doom. Some players have Pokemon with middle speed, or one or two slow Pokemon, so that if Trick Room goes up, they can still have a fighting chance.
    Even with this in mind...I'm still using a TR team. I want to cycle through various team types until I find one that works for me (and ISN'T Rain or Sandstorm). Currently on Trick Room, next tourney will probably be Sun. I'm just glad I have a back-up plan in case Trick Room goes south. XD
    Current fanfics:

Proving Grounds

How far will one boy go to prove something?

I normally like being a bit more original then Sand Room, but I understand that these competitions can get quite serious XD That's why Lileep is on the team, to give me a bit of that creative flare while also being an underated tank. And the better news about the team is it doesn't have any specific flaw that can't be countered, though fighting types will always be a problem. Regardless though, hopefully this will be like last competition where I was able to get in way more battles then ever due to people actually accepting their loses.

I'll definitely be on during the tourney, but if I don't happen to not stop by here till that time, just wanna wish everyone the best of luck
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

Registered and ready

In January I lost a lot of times to Trick Room so now I'll be trying a Trick Room reverser in a bulky form of Gallade. It will help me control the battle and gain momentum and also counter Tyranitar and some other physical and special threats.

Good luck everyone!

3DS Friend Code: 3866-8099-9870 - Nuno

Super Secret Base | Double Battles | QR Code

Beta Competition Masters Division: W25 L9 - Rating 1736 - Ranking 100th
    June International Challenge Masters Division: W10 L7 - Rating 1544 - Ranking 2784th

Overall WiFi Double Battle Record: W48 L20

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast