View Poll Results: Will you be playing in the 2013IC-M?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (MAKE SURE TO READ THE ENTIRE 1st POST)

    39 79.59%
  • Maybe

    1 2.04%
  • No

    9 18.37%
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast
Results 551 to 575 of 600

Thread: 2013 International Challenge - March (Official Play! Pokemon Wi-Fi Tournament)

  1. #551
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mitten State
    Posts
    11,906

    Default

    There are way too many opinions to make around my new Metagross/Rotom-W/Scrafty core... Togekiss and Amoonguss for the whole draw support, Latias and Cressila for the good synergy with Metagross, and just some last slot for filler I suppose. I could go the TR route or I could it as a counter. I definitely need T-Wave counter though... I might go with good old Landorus (Incarnate form thank's to it's speed and it's ability to counter Sand teams)
    Last edited by Joltik-Kid; 31st March 2013 at 5:59 AM.
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

  2. #552
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    496

    Default

    Lol, it's so hard putting a really good team together with only 6 slots!! There are so many times that I've been working out a really inventive strategy and then thought "Damn that's not going to work I need 7 Pokémon "
    2013 Global Showdown - 418 (1705pts)
    2013 I C June - 261 (1705pts - 18th in Europe: 2 Championship Points)
    2013 UK VGC Birmingham - 127 (10 Championship Points)
    2013 Spring Friendly May - 360 (1655pts)
    2013 I C April - 1195 (1585pts - 86th in Europe: 1 Championship Point)
    2013 I C March - 1122 (1613pts - 69th in Europe: 1 Championship Point)
    2013 Winter Friendly - 567 (1602pts)
    2013 I C January - DQ'd (1704pts) - Damn RQer's
    2012 VGCS Winter Battle - 240 (1626pts - 39th in Europe: 2 Championship Points)
    2012 Autumn Friendly - DNF (1510pts) - Only managed 6 matches
    2012 I C (Black) - 1879 (1594pts)
    2012 I C (White) - 3334 (1529pts)
    2011 Autumn Friendly - 2760 (1510pts)

  3. #553
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mitten State
    Posts
    11,906

    Default

    I was pretty surprised Heatran wasn't in the Top 10 of Pokemon used... sure it's got that nasty Ground weakness, but it's basically the perfect counter to all Dragons and Steel types. I'm considering using it again thanks to it's mighty Heat Wave, but I also wanna make a completely new team as well :/

    ***All I know is I can no longer test on the Showdown server at home... it just doesn't wanna cooperate with me. Not to mention my opponents seem to enjoy clicking the damn timer :/
    Last edited by Joltik-Kid; 31st March 2013 at 5:19 PM.
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

  4. #554
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    496

    Default

    I really need to bust my *** getting through Black 2 so that I can enter 2 teams in these Wifi tournaments like I used to in B/W.
    That way I can try out 2 different strategies at once.
    I'm tempted to put together a Rain or a Trick Room team as I have quite a few of the necessary Pokémon already (although I need to do a new Politoed as my current one doesn't cut it)
    I might just try something completely random if I get the time, although with the current Meloetta event (Currently RNGing 1 every day) and trying to work through RNGing the entire Pokedex, I am a little busy.
    2013 Global Showdown - 418 (1705pts)
    2013 I C June - 261 (1705pts - 18th in Europe: 2 Championship Points)
    2013 UK VGC Birmingham - 127 (10 Championship Points)
    2013 Spring Friendly May - 360 (1655pts)
    2013 I C April - 1195 (1585pts - 86th in Europe: 1 Championship Point)
    2013 I C March - 1122 (1613pts - 69th in Europe: 1 Championship Point)
    2013 Winter Friendly - 567 (1602pts)
    2013 I C January - DQ'd (1704pts) - Damn RQer's
    2012 VGCS Winter Battle - 240 (1626pts - 39th in Europe: 2 Championship Points)
    2012 Autumn Friendly - DNF (1510pts) - Only managed 6 matches
    2012 I C (Black) - 1879 (1594pts)
    2012 I C (White) - 3334 (1529pts)
    2011 Autumn Friendly - 2760 (1510pts)

  5. #555
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Hi guys,

    It was my first competition in my whole life. I'm 27 now. Used to play PKM at 14.

    So since Black and Black2 have been released, I've restarted to play again and watch the anime, like back in the days.

    Fishined both games and wanted a bit of challenge with the march competition.

    Well...I was expecting a great bunch of losses. Wasn't disapointed! 14 games played, 2 won...

    My lineup was :

    Zoroark
    Metagross
    Dragonite
    Sharpedo
    Conkeldurr
    Remoraid

    Pretty happy to have played in competition. Can't wait for April's... I hope I'll do better than a 13000/14000 rank!

  6. #556
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pharmetics View Post
    Hi guys,

    It was my first competition in my whole life. I'm 27 now. Used to play PKM at 14.

    So since Black and Black2 have been released, I've restarted to play again and watch the anime, like back in the days.

    Fishined both games and wanted a bit of challenge with the march competition.

    Well...I was expecting a great bunch of losses. Wasn't disapointed! 14 games played, 2 won...

    My lineup was :

    Zoroark
    Metagross
    Dragonite
    Sharpedo
    Conkeldurr
    Remoraid

    Pretty happy to have played in competition. Can't wait for April's... I hope I'll do better than a 13000/14000 rank!
    Glad you enjoyed it!! I'm 33 and have been playing since the games were released in the US (I Imported them and have been importing them ever since)
    I only got into competitive battling about 4 years ago and have since learned to RNG and now I play Pokémon more often than I ever did in the old days
    It looks like you're new here so definitely take a look round all the competitive forums etc and get as many tips as you can. I know it helped me immensely when I first joined and everyone is friendly and helpful so don't be afraid to ask questions
    2013 Global Showdown - 418 (1705pts)
    2013 I C June - 261 (1705pts - 18th in Europe: 2 Championship Points)
    2013 UK VGC Birmingham - 127 (10 Championship Points)
    2013 Spring Friendly May - 360 (1655pts)
    2013 I C April - 1195 (1585pts - 86th in Europe: 1 Championship Point)
    2013 I C March - 1122 (1613pts - 69th in Europe: 1 Championship Point)
    2013 Winter Friendly - 567 (1602pts)
    2013 I C January - DQ'd (1704pts) - Damn RQer's
    2012 VGCS Winter Battle - 240 (1626pts - 39th in Europe: 2 Championship Points)
    2012 Autumn Friendly - DNF (1510pts) - Only managed 6 matches
    2012 I C (Black) - 1879 (1594pts)
    2012 I C (White) - 3334 (1529pts)
    2011 Autumn Friendly - 2760 (1510pts)

  7. #557
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Thanks MSK,

    Yeah, i'm kinda new. I've been looking for infos on Serebii, but i've been looking for the forum since a few days...

    I really want to focus on the competitive side of PKM games, but I've notice that alot of players chooses often the same PKM to fight...

    At first, I wanted to make a team of only my favorites, but if I can't win that way, I'll have no choice to use the same as others...

  8. #558
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mitten State
    Posts
    11,906

    Default

    I only got into VGC after that 2011 Autumn Friendly tournament....so basically a year. Can't say I've had anyone truly teach me the ways of VCG style, but I've done a bit of research in terms of reviews and youtube video's. I'm not the best by any standards, but that's okay. I'm 20, but have been playing Pokemon since it first debuted.
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

  9. #559
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pharmetics View Post
    Thanks MSK,

    Yeah, i'm kinda new. I've been looking for infos on Serebii, but i've been looking for the forum since a few days...

    I really want to focus on the competitive side of PKM games, but I've notice that alot of players chooses often the same PKM to fight...

    At first, I wanted to make a team of only my favorites, but if I can't win that way, I'll have no choice to use the same as others...
    Stick to your principals, It's great to battle with your favourites. Just look into which Pokémon will work well with them to form a strong team.
    I'm probably guilty of using the standard sets some times, but I like to throw something in that's a break from the normal every now and again as it catches people out.
    If you can use your favourites well and have a good strategy that can be better than someone just using a copycat team because they saw someone else do well with it.
    2013 Global Showdown - 418 (1705pts)
    2013 I C June - 261 (1705pts - 18th in Europe: 2 Championship Points)
    2013 UK VGC Birmingham - 127 (10 Championship Points)
    2013 Spring Friendly May - 360 (1655pts)
    2013 I C April - 1195 (1585pts - 86th in Europe: 1 Championship Point)
    2013 I C March - 1122 (1613pts - 69th in Europe: 1 Championship Point)
    2013 Winter Friendly - 567 (1602pts)
    2013 I C January - DQ'd (1704pts) - Damn RQer's
    2012 VGCS Winter Battle - 240 (1626pts - 39th in Europe: 2 Championship Points)
    2012 Autumn Friendly - DNF (1510pts) - Only managed 6 matches
    2012 I C (Black) - 1879 (1594pts)
    2012 I C (White) - 3334 (1529pts)
    2011 Autumn Friendly - 2760 (1510pts)

  10. #560
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mitten State
    Posts
    11,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    Stick to your principals, It's great to battle with your favourites. Just look into which Pokémon will work well with them to form a strong team.
    I'm probably guilty of using the standard sets some times, but I like to throw something in that's a break from the normal every now and again as it catches people out.
    If you can use your favourites well and have a good strategy that can be better than someone just using a copycat team because they saw someone else do well with it.
    I saw a copy cat team during the tournament, funny since it was a copy of a copy that I played on Showdown, lost to it online, but beat it during the tourney. It's pretty distressing when people think that just because someone got far or won with a certain team in the World Championship, that it automatically means they'll do well. Oh well, better to be creative then bland
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

  11. #561
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    stalker much??? :P
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pharmetics View Post
    Thanks MSK,

    Yeah, i'm kinda new. I've been looking for infos on Serebii, but i've been looking for the forum since a few days...

    I really want to focus on the competitive side of PKM games, but I've notice that alot of players chooses often the same PKM to fight...

    At first, I wanted to make a team of only my favorites, but if I can't win that way, I'll have no choice to use the same as others...
    just to let you know, this place is dry on VGC. go onto nugget bridge if you want to get some great info on VGC rule.

    Also, i like to use 1 to 2 favorites. if you use all favorites, the team will have almost no synergy at all (unless your favorites are like politoed, kingdra, and scizor xD)
    my current team has scizor and latias, both pokemon i have loved since gen 3, when i miraculously found out that scyther evolves and when i finally caught that latias on my sapphire, i loved them a lot. Also, a lot of my favorites are the powerful looking mons, like scizor. either that or cute mons, like pichu... and if i could use pichu well in VGC, believe me, i would xD

    @pharmetics, if you like to become better at competitive doubles (VGC rules), then i would ask me or drizzleboy12. not to brag, but we are probably the best VGC players on here. that is kinda my opinion, but i think from what most people say that is the majorities opinion. while by best i measure it in wins, you could also called best as in who has the most fun. i am insanely competitive, so i love the adrenaline etc, which is fun.
    Last edited by joej m; 1st April 2013 at 1:23 AM.

  12. #562
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Good to know! I'm sure you don't brag without reasons!

    I'll take notes of whatever you'll teach me.

    And by the way, I already have a first question ready :

    Why is Thundurus so important on your lineup?

    I've battle at least 2 guys who had one. They were terrific, but in game, I've always tought that Thundurus was a limited pkm. That he couln't do much than others...that's why i'm asking...

  13. #563
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    stalker much??? :P
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pharmetics View Post
    Good to know! I'm sure you don't brag without reasons!

    I'll take notes of whatever you'll teach me.

    And by the way, I already have a first question ready :

    Why is Thundurus so important on your lineup?

    I've battle at least 2 guys who had one. They were terrific, but in game, I've always tought that Thundurus was a limited pkm. That he couln't do much than others...that's why i'm asking...
    well my team is not an in game pokemon. non of them are. i am not sure how much you know about competitive, but there are ways to train pokemon to max out sp defense to the amount you want, so it lives certain attacks (this is called EV training). my thundurus can outspeed other bulky thundurus, while still living a timid latios (speed raising attack lowering nature) with the maxed out amount of sp attack possible draco meteor with a dragon gem boost. also, it uses thunder wave, which makes the speed of the foe drop 75%. and it uses taunt, making sure that pokemon like amoonguss can't use spore and put my entire team to sleep (taunt makes all non attacking moves not usable). it is also a garchomp semi check, because it has hidden power ice (there are ways to make hidden power the type you want, and the power you want, with 70 being max power). also, thundurus has prankster, making all non attack moves have a +1 priority (just like moves like quick attack).

    just to let you know, my bragging rights are i would have come in 1st in USA, and 7th overall if i was ranked. but because if someone rage quits on you, your rage quit count goes up... and a lot of people rage quit on me so the server didn't rank me because they thought i was rage quitting.
    if you like, i can go into a full explanation of my team.

  14. #564
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joej m View Post
    if you like, i can go into a full explanation of my team.
    wow, I would like to!!

    Thanks for the explanation.

    About EV...It's been a week since i'm aware of it. But I'm not sure exactly how to make a perfect pokémon. Just an example, I have a lvl 100 Zoroark and it got 300+ Speed... But I always read that you can't top 255, so i'm a bit confused.

    And btw, I don't know alot.

    when you say :
    Quote Originally Posted by joej m View Post
    making sure that pokemon like amoonguss can't use spore and put my entire team to sleep (taunt makes all non attacking moves not usable).
    I tought it would be useless to use Taunt because in battle, your pokémon can be killed in 2 moves. So it would be a waste of a move tu use Taunt...

    But maybe I think like that because I've never faced a Zangoose!?

  15. #565
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Perusing the North Pacific.
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pharmetics View Post
    wow, I would like to!!

    Thanks for the explanation.

    About EV...It's been a week since i'm aware of it. But I'm not sure exactly how to make a perfect pokémon. Just an example, I have a lvl 100 Zoroark and it got 300+ Speed... But I always read that you can't top 255, so i'm a bit confused.

    And btw, I don't know alot.

    While you can't top 255 effort values (EV's) for a stat, the stats themselves are more than capable of exceeding that; especially at level 100. 4 EV's are equal to 1 stat point, so that mean 252 EV's will add 63 points to a stat, maxing it out at level 100. However, since in VGC (and all wifi battles) all pokemon are reverted to level 50, the conversion for EV's to stats becomes 4 EV's for the first stat point, 8 for the rest, adding 32 points to a stat if maxed out. Due to being limited to only 510 EV's total, you can only max out two stats, leaving 6 EV's leftover for another stat.

    That's not always the best way to go though. Sometimes it is better to cut back on a stat to the bare essentials so that more EV's can be allocated to other stats. For example, let's say you're setting up a scarf-Hydreigon. First you'll want to start with the speed stat. Looking at this VGC Speed tiers spreadsheet set up by the good folks at Nugget Bridge, we see that the fastest un-boosted mons usually top out at a 200 speed stat, so a speed of 201 is what the mark we'll try to hit. Multiply 201 by 2/3 to compensate for the scarf and you end up with 134 as the target speed stat. It can also be bumped up to 135, as joej m did with his Landorus-T, allowing you to get the jump on other scarfed mon's running at 134. Assuming the 134 speed stat though, that'll will only cost a Modest Hydriegon 124 Speed EV's, leaving 128 EV's leftover for other stats. For the rest of the stat's you'll want to refer to a good damage calculator. Naturally, you'd want want to max out Hydreigon's Sp. Atk, so we're left with 134 EV's total to work with. Now you could pour all those into Hp to add to Hydriegon's bulk:
    252+ Atk Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 134 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 126-150 (68.47 - 81.52%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

    But... if you take out 8 Hp EV's and divvy out 4 to both Def. and Sp. Def.:
    252+ Atk Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 126 HP / 4 Def Hydreigon: 122-146 (66.66 - 79.78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

    You get a slightly bulkier set. Ultimately you want to optimize your EV spreads so that each pokemon can perform it's role on the team to the best of it's abilities.

    Quote Originally Posted by pharmetics View Post
    I tought it would be useless to use Taunt because in battle, your pokémon can be killed in 2 moves. So it would be a waste of a move tu use Taunt...

    But maybe I think like that because I've never faced a Zangoose!?
    Taunt has much more use in doubles because support mons are by far more prominent.
    Last edited by Silvershark; 1st April 2013 at 9:34 AM.
        Spoiler:- My Custom Challenges:

  16. #566
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cebu, Philippines
    Posts
    1,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joej m View Post
    @pharmetics, if you like to become better at competitive doubles (VGC rules), then i would ask me or drizzleboy12. not to brag, but we are probably the best VGC players on here. that is kinda my opinion, but i think from what most people say that is the majorities opinion. while by best i measure it in wins, you could also called best as in who has the most fun. i am insanely competitive, so i love the adrenaline etc, which is fun.
    @pharmetics I actually don't think you should limit your questions to just joej m or drizzleboy12. While they may be the highest ranking people on Serebii in terms of VGC, that does not mean they are the only ones capable of helping you out. There are many very experienced Double Battlers here on Serebii who would be more than able to help you out, and if I may be frank, regardless of how well you rank, it's a bit rude to imply that joej m and drizzleboy12 are the only people here who are worth asking for help.

    For one thing, it is possible to rank well based on just sheer amount of playing time. Two players who are of similar skill could have very different results, when factoring in the amount of time you are able to put in, luck, RNG, pairing, and Disconnections. Player A could be paired against a bunch of rank 1400s, 1500s, and 1600s, while Player B could be paired against a bunch of rank 1900s, and 2000s. Then let's factor in that RNG could be against your favor and player B loses to a rank 1300 just cos they were flinchhaxed to death. And then factor in the fact that player B's wins weren't counted because of DCs. And then the fact that player B actually has a job, and could only play on day 1 and the last hours of day 3. Whereas Player A had a smooth sailing tournament. If we base it off of rankings, Player B would be a horrible player and Player A would be outstanding. And they were of similar skill level.

    But it is true that joej m and drizzleboy12 are really good players, and are definitely to be asked for help. But Silvershark is a good person to ask for help as well, as is CrystalNinetales, KuzKan, zachmac, Shreyas, Pokemaster 366, Arande and I'm going to be a bit arrogant and include myself in this list. I've been playing VGC actively since 2011, and I follow the metagame pretty closely. All of us are capable of giving out good suggestions, and to look down on us just because we didn't rank as highly is unfair.

    I for one know that my biggest flaw is that I will not use Legendaries, and I like to use lesser used Pokemon. This really causes me to have really unconventional teams and can sometimes leads me to going forth with a team that lacks certain elements that are important. But I can help any player create a good, usable team that will place them well. I just personally have my limits that are sometimes the cause of my downfall. But things like that don't mean we cannot help.

    Feel like you need a little more Pokemon in your life? Tune into our show!
    EPISODE 55 - SLOWPOKE HOLIDAY
    Looking for something Pokemon-related to listen to while playing through Pokemon XY? This episode is for you!!
    Released: 12/11/14


    Guess who claimed Luxray?!

  17. #567
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    stalker much??? :P
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jstinftw! View Post
    @pharmetics I actually don't think you should limit your questions to just joej m or drizzleboy12. While they may be the highest ranking people on Serebii in terms of VGC, that does not mean they are the only ones capable of helping you out. There are many very experienced Double Battlers here on Serebii who would be more than able to help you out, and if I may be frank, regardless of how well you rank, it's a bit rude to imply that joej m and drizzleboy12 are the only people here who are worth asking for help.

    For one thing, it is possible to rank well based on just sheer amount of playing time. Two players who are of similar skill could have very different results, when factoring in the amount of time you are able to put in, luck, RNG, pairing, and Disconnections. Player A could be paired against a bunch of rank 1400s, 1500s, and 1600s, while Player B could be paired against a bunch of rank 1900s, and 2000s. Then let's factor in that RNG could be against your favor and player B loses to a rank 1300 just cos they were flinchhaxed to death. And then factor in the fact that player B's wins weren't counted because of DCs. And then the fact that player B actually has a job, and could only play on day 1 and the last hours of day 3. Whereas Player A had a smooth sailing tournament. If we base it off of rankings, Player B would be a horrible player and Player A would be outstanding. And they were of similar skill level.

    But it is true that joej m and drizzleboy12 are really good players, and are definitely to be asked for help. But Silvershark is a good person to ask for help as well, as is CrystalNinetales, KuzKan, zachmac, Shreyas, Pokemaster 366, Arande and I'm going to be a bit arrogant and include myself in this list. I've been playing VGC actively since 2011, and I follow the metagame pretty closely. All of us are capable of giving out good suggestions, and to look down on us just because we didn't rank as highly is unfair.

    I for one know that my biggest flaw is that I will not use Legendaries, and I like to use lesser used Pokemon. This really causes me to have really unconventional teams and can sometimes leads me to going forth with a team that lacks certain elements that are important. But I can help any player create a good, usable team that will place them well. I just personally have my limits that are sometimes the cause of my downfall. But things like that don't mean we cannot help.
    yeah that is kinda what i was trying to say in the second part of my statement... but it still kinda sounded a bit standoffish... sorry :/


    Quote Originally Posted by pharmetics View Post
    wow, I would like to!!

    Thanks for the explanation.

    About EV...It's been a week since i'm aware of it. But I'm not sure exactly how to make a perfect pokémon. Just an example, I have a lvl 100 Zoroark and it got 300+ Speed... But I always read that you can't top 255, so i'm a bit confused.

    And btw, I don't know alot.

    when you say :

    I tought it would be useless to use Taunt because in battle, your pokémon can be killed in 2 moves. So it would be a waste of a move tu use Taunt...

    But maybe I think like that because I've never faced a Zangoose!?
    once you start to understand how this game works competitively, you will start to learn how to predict when they will attack you. also, regarding EV's, my thundurus is very bulky, so it doesnt die off that easily. it can live a timid latios draco meteor with dragon gem. timid means, speed raising and attack lowering nature. i am basing these calculations on them having a flawless sp attack stat, meaning highest possible with the nature. also, landorus has intimidate, which makes physical moves do less. after that, it can live things like tyranitar rock slides with ease.
    Last edited by joej m; 1st April 2013 at 4:49 PM.

  18. #568
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mitten State
    Posts
    11,906

    Default

    I think we all have something to offer, like me for obscure choices instead of taking a normal route. Like why use Gliscor when Landorus (both formes) are superior, especially in Sand? Or why use Lileep when Gastrodon is the big time water counter? Why use Ferrothorn at all in doubles because of it's major Heat Wave weakness? Well because I like challenging the norm and because I can make certain things work quite effectively. In no way do I consider myself the best nor do I care to be the best, if I win I win, if I lose I lose. The only thing that sucks is a losing streak.
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

  19. #569
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    stalker much??? :P
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    I think we all have something to offer, like me for obscure choices instead of taking a normal route. Like why use Gliscor when Landorus (both formes) are superior, especially in Sand? Or why use Lileep when Gastrodon is the big time water counter? Why use Ferrothorn at all in doubles because of it's major Heat Wave weakness? Well because I like challenging the norm and because I can make certain things work quite effectively. In no way do I consider myself the best nor do I care to be the best, if I win I win, if I lose I lose. The only thing that sucks is a losing streak.
    well... just saying ferrothorn is the only rain counter you would need on your team :P
    and landorus is only superior in some ways. whenever i tried using lileep i got continuously spammed at me that i was being unoriginal, because lileep is kinda one guys pokemon, and when that guy uses it it is so creative to the point where if you use it you are considered to be unoriginal... :/ at least that is the rap i got from people.
    and saying why use ferrothorn for fire attacks is like saying that for scizor, and scizor runs rampant in the metagame :P
    but i will say your team is not standard though.
    but joltic is pretty good though
    anyway, i was wanting to ask you this for a long time... why is your entire team sand have to not be hurt by sand?

  20. #570
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mitten State
    Posts
    11,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joej m View Post
    well... just saying ferrothorn is the only rain counter you would need on your team :P
    and landorus is only superior in some ways. whenever i tried using lileep i got continuously spammed at me that i was being unoriginal, because lileep is kinda one guys pokemon, and when that guy uses it it is so creative to the point where if you use it you are considered to be unoriginal... :/ at least that is the rap i got from people.
    and saying why use ferrothorn for fire attacks is like saying that for scizor, and scizor runs rampant in the metagame :P
    but i will say your team is not standard though.
    but joltic is pretty good though
    anyway, i was wanting to ask you this for a long time... why is your entire team sand have to not be hurt by sand?
    I just like making stuff up XP So yeah I know Scizor runs somewhat rampant, I didn't really fight many this time though. Ferrothorn has to rely on a somewhat gimmick though, because it has no access to any priority and it's not super powerful. As for Lileep, never got any comments about it, just I know the guy who used it. Wolfey really can make anything good, but I didn't run the same team he did and the two moves I had that he used were Ancientpower and Recover (and maybe Toxic), my last move was Giga Drain instead of Energy Ball. The extra power wasn't necessary to me, the survivability was. Which then explains why my team resists Sand...because I made it to be more of a surviving team then anything. Freaking T-Tar took a Thunder from Thunderus-T and Muddy Water from Kingdra (in Sand of coarse) despite only having 4 evs in Sp. Def. Heatran took a Ground Gem Boosted Earthquake from a Garchomp (sure I had the Shuca Berry) and managed to ko it with Hidden Power Ice.

    What I find ironic is this team was built for TR, yet I won most of most of my matches without getting a single chance to set it up. Basically I said screw the fast rules, I'm using bulk to my advantage. Even more hilarious is not one match took longer then maybe 10 turns
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

  21. #571
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    stalker much??? :P
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    I just like making stuff up XP So yeah I know Scizor runs somewhat rampant, I didn't really fight many this time though. Ferrothorn has to rely on a somewhat gimmick though, because it has no access to any priority and it's not super powerful. As for Lileep, never got any comments about it, just I know the guy who used it. Wolfey really can make anything good, but I didn't run the same team he did and the two moves I had that he used were Ancientpower and Recover (and maybe Toxic), my last move was Giga Drain instead of Energy Ball. The extra power wasn't necessary to me, the survivability was. Which then explains why my team resists Sand...because I made it to be more of a surviving team then anything. Freaking T-Tar took a Thunder from Thunderus-T and Muddy Water from Kingdra (in Sand of coarse) despite only having 4 evs in Sp. Def. Heatran took a Ground Gem Boosted Earthquake from a Garchomp (sure I had the Shuca Berry) and managed to ko it with Hidden Power Ice.

    What I find ironic is this team was built for TR, yet I won most of most of my matches without getting a single chance to set it up. Basically I said screw the fast rules, I'm using bulk to my advantage. Even more hilarious is not one match took longer then maybe 10 turns
    ferrothorn is a pretty popular rain counter. i saw probably 10 of them out of 93 battles... they are great leech seeding pokemon, and the slow speed makes them great for trick room. so there is no gimmick behind it.
    the problem with your team is the very limited coverage that you get.
    also... you run full out offense heatran??? O.o
    while is is useful, i prefer lefties + substitute a lot more on heatran, because it has great defenses naturally, and can just sit on the field gaining HP from lefties. i like the set of: earth power, heat wave, substitute, protect.

  22. #572
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mitten State
    Posts
    11,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joej m View Post
    ferrothorn is a pretty popular rain counter. i saw probably 10 of them out of 93 battles... they are great leech seeding pokemon, and the slow speed makes them great for trick room. so there is no gimmick behind it.
    the problem with your team is the very limited coverage that you get.
    also... you run full out offense heatran??? O.o
    while is is useful, i prefer lefties + substitute a lot more on heatran, because it has great defenses naturally, and can just sit on the field gaining HP from lefties. i like the set of: earth power, heat wave, substitute, protect.
    Sub+Seed basically is a gimmick in doubles, sure it's an effective Rain counter, but Fighting types (mainly Hitmontop) steal the show. But yes, having a Trick Room counter is a bonus when making a Trick Room team.

    Heatran was my heavy Special Attacker because of it's unpredictability. Most people likely expect the whole Sub+Protect, even more so because of how well Wolfey's World team did with it. Despite not having any Ground/Fighting counter besides Gliscor...it wasn't those typing's that gave me problems, more the awkward play style some of my opponents used and me getting severely unlucky in my predictions
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

  23. #573
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    stalker much??? :P
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    Sub+Seed basically is a gimmick in doubles, sure it's an effective Rain counter, but Fighting types (mainly Hitmontop) steal the show. But yes, having a Trick Room counter is a bonus when making a Trick Room team.

    Heatran was my heavy Special Attacker because of it's unpredictability. Most people likely expect the whole Sub+Protect, even more so because of how well Wolfey's World team did with it. Despite not having any Ground/Fighting counter besides Gliscor...it wasn't those typing's that gave me problems, more the awkward play style some of my opponents used and me getting severely unlucky in my predictions
    sub seed is not gimmicky at all in doubles. actually... it has proven to be very effective over and over and over again by many players, including myself.

  24. #574
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mitten State
    Posts
    11,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joej m View Post
    sub seed is not gimmicky at all in doubles. actually... it has proven to be very effective over and over and over again by many players, including myself.
    When your being outspeed it can be... Taunt is a big Ferrothorn weakness.
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

  25. #575
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    stalker much??? :P
    Posts
    324

    Default

    i prefer to be outsped when i have a ferothorn. that way, i can set up sub so they can't break it. not everyone taunts ferrothorns though.
    Last edited by joej m; 1st April 2013 at 10:43 PM.

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •