Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Tropes vs Women in Video Games

Hybrid View

Default Video Tropes vs Women in Video Games

You may have already of a lady named Anita Sarkeesian who wanted to make a video series about the five major negative tropes featuring women in video games. After several months, the first part of her first series, Damsel in Distressed, was released.
    Part 2 was released on May 28.
    Part 3 was released on August 1..

I thought the video series was very insightful in highlighting things in our society that some people may overlook.

Almost a year later, Sarkeesian has released another trope, Women as Background Decoration. Here's the first part. Here's the second part.
    Last edited by Sadib; 26th August 2014 at 5:59 AM.
    Jackpot!

I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

Well I feel like a sexist prick.

I want to make counterarguments but I can't, I feel so crippled and filthy.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

I'm happy to see some light shed on this tricky subject, but I feel that it will only fall on deaf ears.

Even so, I'm looking forward to more from her.

I hate how she goes on about damsel in distress, but ignores all the heros in distress by nintendo. Donkey Kong Jr, Princess Peach game, Legend of Zelda (Ocarina of time) so Nintendo is not anti female. (Heck we have Samus Aran, the Bounty Hunter)

Thanks to treeco123

LIGHT SIDE HAS CUPCAKES
    DARK SIDE OFFERS COOKIES
    JOIN THE DERPY SIDE.... WE GOT MUFFINS

Quote Originally Posted by ebilly99 View Post
    I hate how she goes on about damsel in distress, but ignores all the heros in distress by nintendo. Donkey Kong Jr, Princess Peach game, Legend of Zelda (Ocarina of time) so Nintendo is not anti female. (Heck we have Samus Aran, the Bounty Hunter)
    Too bad Other M was so awful it made Samus a weak girl who needed strong men to do things for her.

Other what. Lalala Can't hear you

Thanks to treeco123

LIGHT SIDE HAS CUPCAKES
    DARK SIDE OFFERS COOKIES
    JOIN THE DERPY SIDE.... WE GOT MUFFINS

Quote Originally Posted by Sogeking View Post
    Too bad Other M was so awful it made Samus a weak girl who needed strong men to do things for her.
    We can owe that failure to the "sexist" views of Team Ninja.

Okay, I've collected myself. Her other videos...she really hammers it in. That and/or I'm a really influenceable person.

Like Vern said, the Star Fox thing was complete bull ****. I don't know how it went but from every other story I've heard about Star Fox Adventures was conceived by Miyamoto mentioning that Krystal's partner resembled Fox a lot. That said, money is money so (to the demise of the fans of Star Fox 64) Rare slapped on the Star Fox team and made Krystal a side character giving her more tribal looking clothes. As for the damsel in distress, it's an easy cliche to work off of and you barely think about it in the midst of the game play (which matters the most). Heck, I'm needy for the knife as opposed to the Prin Prin in Ghosts and Goblins. This is just the surface and though they are slightly sexist, they aren't sexist enough to make a fuss over.

Games for older audiences on the other hand...well, what else goes good with a can of whoop ***? Then again, those boobies are distracting when I'm trying to kick butt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sogeking View Post
    Oh will you stop hanging onto that, let it go already! Speaking of games, why isn't this in the alternate video game section? It would attract more of a crowd too.

looks at character designs in Fire Emblem: Awakening

About that...ah screw it, show her some Japanese cartoons!

Just so you know, in Super Princess Peach, Peach's powers come from her emotions. In the Metroid series: the faster you beat the game, the less Samus wears in the end cutscene. The video actually does talk about how OoT Zelda gets kidnapped only three minutes after she stops being Sheik.
    Jackpot!

I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

I found this rather interesting.

I can't really say for sure if the damsel in distress thing actually does encourage sexism to the extant that it actually makes a difference in sexism....but I do know for sure that too many people make girls out to be helpless. And it's not like only us males do it(and I'm not saying she accused it of it only being us either), as it seems a good handful of girls in real life are dependent on others as well.

But, I won't really deny what she said at all. I too am a fan of The Legend of Zelda, and I think it's undeniable that Zelda is mostly in there to be kidnapped.
    Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    Well I feel like a sexist prick.

I want to make counterarguments but I can't, I feel so crippled and filthy.
    She said herself that she likes some of these games. I think that's good enough reason not to be ashamed for playing these games because of a couple stereotypes.
    It's too bad she's only released the first part, huh?

I'll bet she'll bring this up eventually. Especially since she brought up that she'll be talking about how some developers "flipped the script" on the damsel.

And Nintendo itself is not anti-female. It's just that a lot of games use the stereotypes.

You know, I can't really say much against it because well she's done the research to back her claims up, however there is one thing that she seems to of forgotten. Although it is true that females in typical video games fall into these stereotypes and tropes, it is also true that the majority of the demographic of what she's looking at would probably be males from teens to twenties. Taking that as the main demographic, it's not hard to see that most females would fall into these roles because that is always been what these companies use to make a profit. Exploit the demographic in which you are selling to and you sell more, that's marketing 101.

lmao at the Star Fox **** at the beginning. That was just bad.

Anyway, this seems to be interesting so far. Princess Peach's uselessness has never been more apparent.

Quote Originally Posted by Kunaiman9u9 View Post
    You know, I can't really say much against it because well she's done the research to back her claims up, however there is one thing that she seems to of forgotten. Although it is true that females in typical video games fall into these stereotypes and tropes, it is also true that the majority of the demographic of what she's looking at would probably be males from teens to twenties. Taking that as the main demographic, it's not hard to see that most females would fall into these roles because that is always been what these companies use to make a profit. Exploit the demographic in which you are selling to and you sell more, that's marketing 101.
    She points this out twelve minutes into the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    lmao at the Star Fox **** at the beginning. That was just bad.

Anyway, this seems to be interesting so far. Princess Peach's uselessness has never been more apparent.

She points this out twelve minutes into the video.
    Can't say that I really watched all of her videos, just the one that linked in this thread. But if its a demographic thing what's the argument? The gamer girls I know of really don't care, most outliers except for like...casual gamers playing a hardcore gamers variant would really complain. I feel it's addressing an issue that frankly put, only people actually doing the research would care about. I don't mean to be insensitive but everything she says isn't news to anyone who plays on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Kunaiman9u9 View Post
    Can't say that I really watched all of her videos, just the one that linked in this thread. But if its a demographic thing what's the argument? The gamer girls I know of really don't care, most outliers except for like...casual gamers playing a hardcore gamers variant would really complain. I feel it's addressing an issue that frankly put, only people actually doing the research would care about. I don't mean to be insensitive but everything she says isn't news to anyone who plays on a daily basis.
    I think she's just pointing it out because it's true and stupid.

I think the most interesting point in that video is how when men are captured they use their intelligence/skill or whathaveyou to escape, but when the damsel in distress was captured they need to WAIT FOR THE BIG AND POWERFUL HERO TO SAVE THEM.

Star-Lord

My thoughts? They're games. They're not meant to be over-analyzed like this. Too many people getting offended by things not worth getting mad over. Is having the majority of women fall into tropes wrong? Many not, maybe so. Is it really worth trying to stop?

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    My thoughts? They're games. They're not meant to be over-analyzed like this. Too many people getting offended by things not worth getting mad over. Is having the majority of women fall into tropes wrong? Many not, maybe so. Is it really worth trying to stop?
    Yes but the woman hammers her opinions into you quickly and harshly. All of her videos are like that from Gwen Stacey's death to the lack of female characters in cartoons to even LEGO being sexist. I agree and believe that complete gender equality is totally possible but you can't treat it so harshly and take baby steps by slowly changing the media as time goes on instead of cramming it in our brains all at once.

You know what game she should play in her next video? Queen's Blade.

Change doesn't happen because people sit down and say "is it really worth it?" just saying.

twittertumblrlast.fm

My thoughts? They're games. They're not meant to be over-analyzed like this.
    The unexamined life is not worth living playing.

Too many people getting offended by things not worth getting mad over.
    You're actually assuming that their views and perspectives are not worth sharing, thus only strengthening need for an overall dialogue

Is having the majority of women fall into tropes wrong? Many not, maybe so. Is it really worth trying to stop?
    I guess not if you like uninteresting characters and stories.
    Beware children and heed Uncle Lutz, lest these devious feminists obliterate you:

Quote Originally Posted by BigLutz View Post
    There are a few feminists out there with such a extreme view in terms of wiping out men that it matches the Nazi's movement of seeing a lower class and or being utterly genocidal.

Quote Originally Posted by bel9 View Post
    You're actually assuming that their views and perspectives are not worth sharing, thus only strengthening need for an overall dialogue
    Maybe so. You can share what you want, and feel how you want. But ''complaining'' about something that isn't really a problem in the first place...

I guess not if you like uninteresting characters and stories.
    Women video game stereotypes play little part, very little in interesting stories and characters. Take Xenoblade for example, all the main girls fall into a stereotype, yet they are among the most interesting characters in the game. The cause of uninteresting female characters isn't because she got kidnap. It's due to the lack of character development and plain ol' shitty writing. If anything, people should be trying to change the way developers write terrible characters, and not what tropes they fall into.

Maybe so. You can share what you want, and feel how you want. But ''complaining'' about something that isn't really a problem in the first place...

Women video game stereotypes play little part, very little in interesting stories and characters. Take Xenoblade for example, all the main girls fall into a stereotype, yet they are among the most interesting characters in the game. The cause of uninteresting female characters isn't because she got kidnap. It's due to the lack of character development and plain ol' shitty writing. If anything, people should be trying to change the way developers write terrible characters, and not what tropes they fall into.
    I don't see how this dilemma could be considered "not a problem". These stereotypes of women in gaming is actually effecting how individuals view them in the real world. If a certain group of beings are always being characterized as useless/mindless/vile, etc., it's near guaranteed that those exposed to such characterizations will begin to associate those people with negative traits. Sure, it may not be too big of a deal to rant about continuously, but that doesn't mean it's not a problem in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by ManhattanTheStarr View Post
    I don't see how this dilemma could be considered "not a problem". These stereotypes of women in gaming is actually effecting how individuals view them in the real world.
    This is like saying people playing shooters will all turn into blood thirsty killers.

FUNNY i could say the exact same thing about black people and how they're represented in pop culture and you'd probably flip out but when it's comes to women
    I wrote the RBY and GSC pages on serebii.net

https://twitter.com/cifalacus

Quote Originally Posted by Cifala View Post
    FUNNY i could say the exact same thing about black people and how they're represented in pop culture and you'd probably flip out but when it's comes to women
    don't even get me started about black people in film because i could go on for days

Quote Originally Posted by Gothitelle K View Post
    MRA's (contrary to popular belief) feel strongly about male double standards
    neat, name a few that don't have to do w/ foodservice

(actually please don't, i don't want this thread moving to the debate forum)
    Last edited by John Madden; 11th March 2013 at 12:57 AM.
    last.fm
    facebook

OFFICIAL ATTACK HUCKSTER OF SPP
    If you see this sig in the debate forum, you're definitely doing something wrong.

私と結婚する...

Everything here, I agree with. Personally, it doesn't bother me. Most of us play games not only because they are fun but it allows us to do something we know we can never do in real life. (also it allows for people's fantasizing to come true)
    岩根雅明=♡

Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast