Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Tropes vs Women in Video Games

Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    So?? Does this mean we should not grow and change??
    I didn't say that. I'm just saying to allow yourself to enjoy something you may like outside of the reasons you feel guilty about and still remain "you".
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/dheavp.png[/IMG]
    Credit to Nuit

Quote Originally Posted by chuboy View Post
    Quick, someone get the scientific community onto this one! A truly brilliant hypothesis that would have been insofar overlooked by every researcher who has contributed to this field of science. And it's only 8th grade stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero
    I roam Johto with my partner Pokemon, Rattata, who knows Hyper Fang, Sunny Day, Rock Smash and Cut. Anyone who runs with more than one Pokemon or evolves their Pokemon takes the game way too seriously.

If I wish to feel bad about something, I'll feel bad about something real. Like how women are treated in Africa, rather than about what gender a video game character is. "Women in Video Games" sounds like a 1st world problem to me.
    Last edited by LDSman; 19th March 2013 at 9:24 PM. Reason: spelling
    Stand by for political rant that no one else really cares about.

3DS friend code: 1650 1976 9524

My FS type is Steel with Magneton, Forretress and Bronzong.

Quote Originally Posted by ldsman View Post
    If I wish to feel bad about something, I'll feel bad about something real. Like how women are treated in Africa, rather than about what gender a video game character is. "Women in Video Games" sounds like a 1st world problem to me.
    Did you know you can only think about one problem at a time? Bonus points if it's something you have little to no power to solve so you can choose to not think critically about issues in your own society in which you have systemic power!
    How did the mathematician solve his constipation problem?
    He worked it out with a pencil.

The point of this webseries

You

Oh let it go already -_-...I'm allowed to feel bad about how women are treated in video games.
    You are, but suddenly feeling guilty won't change anything. I'm just saying don't beat yourself up over it. Because there are tons of objectified material in video games. If this chokes you up, you never wanna plays games again if you hear the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    You are, but suddenly feeling guilty won't change anything. I'm just saying don't beat yourself up over it. Because there are tons of objectified material in video games. If this chokes you up, you never wanna plays games again if you hear the rest.
    It's ok to feel guilty about something being wrong in society. It motivates critical thinking and change. I'm sure he's not beating himself up about it and I appreciate anyone willing to challenge his/her own previously held worldview.

"Women are discussing stereotypes and I don't like that" #firstworldproblems
    wh

Quote Originally Posted by Deku_Link View Post
    "Women are discussing stereotypes and I don't like that" #firstworldproblems
    No, it's more the "You should feel bad for playing this game!" that I don't care for.
    Stand by for political rant that no one else really cares about.

3DS friend code: 1650 1976 9524

My FS type is Steel with Magneton, Forretress and Bronzong.

Quote Originally Posted by kochoupink View Post
    It's ok to feel guilty about something being wrong in society. It motivates critical thinking and change. I'm sure he's not beating himself up about it and I appreciate anyone willing to challenge his/her own previously held worldview.
    True, but feeling guilty hardly does anything if you're just going to continue playing these games.

No, it's more the "You should feel bad for playing this game!" that I don't care for.
    Can you please point out where Sarkeesian (or any of the people siding with her viewpoints) said that the point of this series is to make you feel bad about playing video games? I'll wait while you search for something that isn't there.

True, but feeling guilty hardly does anything if you're just going to continue playing these games.
    Did you...did you read what I said? Did you watch the video? It's fine to enjoy problematic media. Being AWARE of the problems is exactly the point. It motivates social change. This is not about "video games." It's about gendered portrayals in media and how they affect the world at large.

Except Anita Sarkeesian herself said in her video it's okay to like these games and play them.

Learning things sure is hard, isn't it? Poor babby.
    wh

Quote Originally Posted by ebilly99 View Post
    Want a list of strong females in video games.
    Samus aran (Metroids)
    Sarah Kerrigan (Star craft)
    Shepard (Mass effects)
    Jade (Beyond good and evil)
    Cortona (Halo)
    Joaana Dark (Perfect dark)
    Dark queen (Battle toads)
    Grundy (Banjo series)
    captain Syrup (Wario)
    Glados, shell (Portal)
    Just to name a few. If you guys still think that women need men to come to there defense the problem is with you not reality.
    Yeah, about Cortana...

Sure, she fights the Covenant at a technological level and provides technical support, tactical insight, and strategy to the Chief's "shoot your way out" mentality, but doesn't that just perpetuate a women=brains, men=brawn stereotype? Not to mention she plays the part of the Damsel in Distress for like 7/8's of Halo 3, and the efforts of the game producers to give her appearance more sex appeal as the series went on probably doesn't make her the best example of a strong female character.
        Spoiler:- My Custom Challenges:

Quote Originally Posted by kochoupink View Post
    Did you...did you read what I said? Did you watch the video? It's fine to enjoy problematic media. Being AWARE of the problems is exactly the point. It motivates social change. This is not about "video games." It's about gendered portrayals in media and how they affect the world at large.
    Yeah but I also read what she said...
    The fact that for many years I've played these games without even thinking about that....
    I understand that video games are a type of media, but she/he is specifically talking about video games. I'm sure most people here are talking about video games. Unless this discussion went to a broader topic before the guilty talks, I didn't read that much back. I personally can't see how being aware of something but continuing to do it anyway will bring about social change.

If you feel guilty and continue to do it, won't you continue to keep feeling guilty? I'm most likely missing something here but hey.

Oh look, someone used "Emphatically" earlier, I suddenly feel so happy. :'D.

...okay serious time.

Feel guilty over a game won't help you "grow and change" unless you stop playing them all together.
    Guilt is the first step toward change in someone. But if you consistently batter on them for that guilt, they may do one of two things, change, or ignore it as much as possible. Adapt by not caring as much, or adapt by caring more. There's an in the middle, but if you're in the middle, you'll most likely sit where you are and not move. So I tend to just separate it into black and white.

Saying that most of the games we play seem to show sexism in our society makes many feel bad. That in of itself should make them want to change it. But considering the amount of stuff we have to "feel" guilty about...It's really hard to want to care about certain things.

...And finally, who cares about what and who doesn't care about what tends to start an insufferable amount of arguments. Justified or not.

EDIT: and for example, this guilt could make us want more strong females in the media. Just that simple desire can help.

As for the video...(Anything I say is purely based on memory, so go ahead and distrust what I have to say or feel free to ignore me if I seem to be stating wrong stats or something.)

If she wants awareness, then this helps. Its quite right, and more things should be made like this. Though I feel like statements like this won't change much by itself. It'll just confirm what we already know. The problem is slightly more deep then just video games, even if she's just challenging the way they're used rather then the games themselves. Changing people's opinions (Views) of this are quite hard...And most prefer to just ride the flow of life, even if they disagree. And I'd almost say that is a excellent idea. lol

For example, I remember reading a book about "What men are thinking" for woman trying to date (Where is this book for females >:O...Okay, I admit I didn't look THAT hard. XD), and 98% of men are very much for equal pay. (They even gave a long chapter at the end of the book detailing how they got their stats. But I digress, I can't remember what was said.) But they're not gonna stick their neck out and lose their job to say something. I also remember one older woman who was fighting for equal pay. She brought it to court, but she was denied compensation because she didn't figure her "gender pay-gap" out until after she worked there for quite a few years. Which appearantly makes what she said useless I'm having trouble remembering the story, anybody know what I'm talking about? I think Obama even got involved in it...
    I wish that I got the names of the reports that we listened to during sociology class :X

...But in a roundabout way, videos like this are actually one of the best ways to move this forward. Changing the flow of society slowly is possibly one of the best ways to cause social change. At least, from what I've seen.
    Plus, she presented these points quite reasonably, which in of itself should lighten the blow on those who feel guilty.
    ...but there are always the radicals. :/

And a final note, I would love to have more fan service males in media. :O
    When refering to learning..."In other words, groups are not where ideas are born. Groups are where ideas are evaluated."
    My eyes! (my eyes!) are filled with curiosity! You think! (You think!) that you have power over me! In this life! (This life!) There’s no room for you and me! So turn around and face the day with me!
    Such a sexy song. Urgh.

Hey we should completely get rid of men in video games and make them all strong masculine women...

3DS FC: 4313-0937-1327
    Friend Safari: Ghost; Lampent, Gourgheist, and IDk yet
    Nintendo Network: Raiin3

Quote Originally Posted by GhostAnime View Post
    I didn't say that. I'm just saying to allow yourself to enjoy something you may like outside of the reasons you feel guilty about and still remain "you".
    Lol I'm still gonna play the games, I am just more aware about the issue now.

Like I said, I still love the games, doesn't mean I'm gonna go anti video games all of a sudden.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Raiin View Post
    Hey we should completely get rid of men in video games and make them all strong masculine women...
    you're so edgy and funny. Can I sig you?
    Beware children and heed Uncle Lutz, lest these devious feminists obliterate you:

Quote Originally Posted by BigLutz View Post
    There are a few feminists out there with such a extreme view in terms of wiping out men that it matches the Nazi's movement of seeing a lower class and or being utterly genocidal.

I'm most likely missing something here but hey.
    Yeah that's basically it.

It's ok to feel a little guilty about having thought about it before, because then you can keep this new knowledge and viewpoint of how women are portrayed in video games. It's not like anybody will feel guilty forever for playing video games. It's just something to think about and keep in the back of your mind.

Star-Lord

Hey we should stop being a troll and grow up ..
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

Hey we should stop being a troll and grow up ..
    Wasn't trying lol i'm simply saying (in kind of a jerkish way) i don't see the big deal about the damsel in distress thing. Should I be mad that almost all villains are male?

Wasn't trying lol i'm simply saying (in kind of a jerkish way) i don't see the big deal about the damsel in distress thing. Should I be mad that almost all villains are male?
    Male villains are usually powerful and intelligent so it's really not the same at all.

Yes, you should, which is why you should support the overall feminist framework from which Sarkeesian presents her video series.
    Beware children and heed Uncle Lutz, lest these devious feminists obliterate you:

Quote Originally Posted by BigLutz View Post
    There are a few feminists out there with such a extreme view in terms of wiping out men that it matches the Nazi's movement of seeing a lower class and or being utterly genocidal.

Tell me, would you play a video game with a strong female lead character??

Quote Originally Posted by bel9 View Post
    Yes, you should, which is why you should support the overall feminist framework from which Sarkeesian presents her video series.
    but i don't support feminism. Not trying to sound bad, I'm all for equality in the work place, child support, and such, but I have a cousin whos really into feminism. Her endless rants can really make your ears bleed.

Tell me, would you play a video game with a strong female lead character??
    Yes, I loved Metroid (exclude other M) and tomb raider and some time I opt to play as the female in games where you have a choice
    Last edited by Raiin; 19th March 2013 at 10:28 PM.

Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast