Thread: Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. A Pokemon inspired Game

Post Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. A Pokemon inspired Game

Since someone here asks me to put more "meat" into this first post, I may as well modify it. If you're reading this now, I hope you got a response.

What it says above, its been a long while since I played a game so impacting like the Pokemon series and Legend of Zelda Series. But after watching a huge walkthrough of Ni No Kuni, I'd say it really is beyond impressive.

This has so many elements that I come to love from many of my childhood games, No just poemon . Legend of Zelda, Tales Series [in My case, Symphonia: Dawn of the New World), and the Legend of Legaia.

So then what are the things you could say About Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch?

For me:

Gameplay: Who knew this game has some elements from our Beloved Pokemon Series? In their world though, they're called Familiars. They're very cool and cute too. From what I know these days, its hard to find a good RPG monster based game like Pokemon. But what I find unique here is that it play like many of the Tales series games that combines with Pokemon's turn based gameplay selection. It is simple yet it is challenging. The action gameplay aspect is not so complicated like in most fighting genre games despite its faint presence.

Music: Something that reminds me of the PMD series, and the Legend of Zelda Series in so many ways [especially the music Ala Memoriae]. For me, the music really has the tone that sounds very dreamy ... as if that world is the fantasy my inner child wishes to travel. I'll be honest, most modern music don't have this alluring charm that video games have. The toe of everything absorbs me to the world itself, especially cute wizard Oliver.

Characters: Memorable. If you're going to ask me who is/are my favorite character/s in pokemon? For me, I rarely love the human characters. But the thing that comes to mind whenever Pokemon is involved, it will always be the pokemon themselves [all 649 (as of now) of them] being the true representatives and stars of the Pokemon franchise. But on Ni no Kuni. It's the reverse. This time, I loved most of the human characters, and the Familiars for me are like the 3rd attractive thing for me. Oliver is a completely unique character for me. I mean ... just analyze him. He's no Trainer Red, No Link, Hero of Time, and obviously no Cloud. He is just like us ordinary people in everyday life. Tell me then, would you kindly tell me another game where the protagonist is living an ordinary life like Oliver

Story: The plot of this was amazing just as the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Series. The ending is very bittersweet. In PMD, its ending is bleak sad for a moment before becoming joyous. Plus, if you notice the conflicts, a lot of them focus on the troubles of Human Nature, and the Nightmares are disturbing examples of how a person lacking certain emotional needs can make oneself very dangerous to everyone and oneself. Plus, they faintly resemble on depending on mild ways to relieve the emptiness of one's heart (think of drugs, false guidance)

Diversity: The sidequests alone tells so many things. We know the "Gotta Catch 'em All" motif, Right? This game offers it too by befriending every Familiar that you can find as an OPTIONAL goal. Just like Pokemon. It's all up to you if you want to catch every pokemon or not at your own leisure. Back to sidequests. Unlike the sidequests of many other games, this game made sidequests very meaningful. Killing Monsters and fetching items are one thing. But restoring one's broken heart can make you feel the warmth of your client's gratitude. As if you are being awarded for your good actions. It teaches basic yet powerful good morals in a beautiful way that many children needed so badly today on a time of irrational society.

Length: Just amazing. think on how much land and sea you'll be able to cover? It'll be like playing a game like the Elder Scrolls Series. Catching all of the Familiars, Doing every sidequests, plus the story itself, you got a big cauldron of events that will leave you exploring the world of Ni No Kuni for many hours that you'll definitely lose count.

Developer: Level 5 is also a great Game Developer for me. I get to know them by playing Rogue Galaxy. Let's not forget they're the ones who made the poplar Professor Layton Series. Ni no Kuni has that Action Gameplay Mechanic from Rogue Galaxy that I really love so much. I'm sure that company is only going higher. Ever since they made this game, I'd say Pikachu and Pals now have 400 new monster friends to play along.

Next Plot would be a Pokemon x Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch crossover. The Pokemon Species vs. Ni No Kuni Familars.
    Last edited by jireh the provider; 13th March 2013 at 4:28 PM.
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

I don't know why, but Drippy kind of reminds me of Excadrill. It might just be the nose and the chubbiness, though.

Too bad the only version of that game for a System I have is Japanese only. I'd be interested if it was for the XBox 360 or DS, but I don't have a PS3.

I must say, I am 110% against this action, I mean, quoting Wikipedia, '' A world of free knowledge will be lost ''. I say screw SOPA and PIPA, and all who agrees with me, sig this! We all detest the bill and will fight for the freedom of the Internet!

This is Bidoof. Many people loathe it with their lives. If you are of the few people who love this little beaver, put this in your sig. Started by Warrior Scolipede

Quote Originally Posted by MugoUrth View Post
    I don't know why, but Drippy kind of reminds me of Excadrill. It might just be the nose and the chubbiness, though.

Too bad the only version of that game for a System I have is Japanese only. I'd be interested if it was for the XBox 360 or DS, but I don't have a PS3.
    Same here. I would also play if it was on the Wii

I agree to both of you. At least if it's playable on either the 3DS or Wii U, then great. I mean this series is the thing that will love to be with video games like Zelda and Pokemon

Quote Originally Posted by Zoruagible View Post
    Same here. I would also play if it was on the Wii
    Then it would be heavily watered down and nowhere in the same level as the PS3 version as the Wii is an underpowered machine.

"Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

This is really not a helpful review, analysis, etc. -- maybe that's to be expected from its shortness. Also, Pokemon-inspired? I assume you're referring to some sort of monster-capturing-type mechanic, in which case, you desperately need a video games history lesson. I know this is a Pokemon site, but not all monster mechanics are going to be inspired directly by Pokemon, just because it's easily the most famous. Surely, by that logic, everything zombie-related is inspired by The Walking Dead. That aside, things like
    Characters: one word. Memorable.
    say absolutely nothing. "Memorable" has a lot of possible meanings, not all of them positive. The Room is often considered "memorable" -- it also is often considered a piece of ****. Also, what the dickens does this mean?
    Diversity: Just right amount of many.
    Length: Just amazing, and almost all of them are worth the work
    I can sorta get what you're going for with the first statement -- the second, though, just doesn't make a lick of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    Then it would be heavily watered down and nowhere in the same level as the PS3 version as the Wii is an underpowered machine.
    I'm pretty sure that even the Wii U is not as powerful of a machine as the PS3. I don't know for sure, though. If it's a good game, though, it shouldn't matter that much.
    Last edited by The Admiral; 12th March 2013 at 12:48 AM.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    This is really not a helpful review, analysis, etc. -- maybe that's to be expected from its shortness. Also, Pokemon-inspired? I assume you're referring to some sort of monster-capturing-type mechanic, in which case, you desperately need a video games history lesson. I know this is a Pokemon site, but not all monster mechanics are going to be inspired directly by Pokemon, just because it's easily the most famous. Surely, by that logic, everything zombie-related is inspired by The Walking Dead. That aside, things like

say absolutely nothing. "Memorable" has a lot of possible meanings, not all of them positive. The Room is often considered "memorable" -- it also is often considered a piece of ****. Also, what the dickens does this mean?

I can sorta get what you're going for with the first statement -- the second, though, just doesn't make a lick of sense.

I'm pretty sure that even the Wii U is not as powerful of a machine as the PS3. I don't know for sure, though. If it's a good game, though, it shouldn't matter that much.
    Look please I heard of a bit of history of Shim Megami Tensei [thanks to TV tropes] on the fact it's first before pokemon.

But those ratings of mine are from personal opinions and experiences, not official facts. Is it wrong to be personal? Or do you want me to be detailed with the ratings of the game? I want answers from you. Its intriguing if you must know. Want me to be detailed, then i'll edit it after class.

I'm basically just saying that it isn't really all that informative and doesn't say why you feel the way you do -- just that you do. It's generally not very helpful of a writeup.

The usual links

I'm basically just saying that it isn't really all that informative and doesn't say why you feel the way you do -- just that you do. It's generally not very helpful of a writeup.
    Your request has been done. So i hope you can give it a better analysis this time.

So anyways, how nice it would be if we get a Pokemon x Ni No Kuni Crossover?Pokemon meets Familiars

Quote Originally Posted by jireh the provider View Post
    Your request has been done. So i hope you can give it a better analysis this time.
    That's a lot better, especially since now I can see more where you're coming from.

So anyways, how nice it would be if we get a Pokemon x Ni No Kuni Crossover?Pokemon meets Familiars
    It's highly unlikely, but could be a neat idea in theory, like most possible mons-centric crossovers. It'd be easy enough to put together, at least.

The usual links

It's highly unlikely, but could be a neat idea in theory, like most possible mons-centric crossovers. It'd be easy enough to put together, at least.
    At the very least, I'd like to see a Pokemon game where you can actually get every Pokemon in-game, without having to travel halfway across the US to go to events, only to find out that you lose it if you start a new game. Ni No Kuni came through on this, while Nintendo still seems to be having a little trouble with this concept. Anyway, onto my thoughts.

My review on GameFAQs originally gave Ni No Kuni a very high score. Having beaten the game completely now, I can safely say that the high score was justified.

The graphics are gorgeous, something that I rarely comment on in game reviews (hence why I usually stay away from GameFAQs, since they require you to comment on the graphics of a game). In this case, I have to mention a couple things. When you idle on stairs or a slope, take a look at how the characters position their feet. They'll actually position themselves correctly, instead of most games, where they'll be standing flat-footed on slopes and stairs, even if it defies all physics to stand in that pose where they are. The animations are all perfect, and the cutscenes look great, giving you the authentic 'I'm in a Studio Ghibli movie' feeling.

The storyline is excellent, even though it is on the simple side. You're a kid who is trying to save his mother, and ends up having to defeat the bad guys and save the world to do it. There are enough plot twists to keep the player engaged, while not going overboard to the point where it feels confusing. Everything fits nicely, and the humor that's sprinkled throughout the game really lightens the mood during some of the darker turns. One minor criticism is that the first act is a little weak. It might just be me, but it feels like the pacing should've been a bit better for a couple scenes that I won't spoil (you'll know them when you see them). Granted, it'll still take you awhile to get to the other world, but it does feel like the game could've taken a few minutes more with certain things. But once you get to the other world, everything is perfect. And since the story of the game centers around the other world, that is the most important thing.

Some people will likely call the gameplay a mixed bag. But personally, I liked it. The battles are fought in a semi-real time system, where you can move the character you're controlling around at will, while selecting commands. This is useful for avoiding attacks, as well as positioning your character to attack a possible weak spot. The familiar system is well done too, combining Pokemon with Dragon Quest V's monster capturing system to come up with a unique and surprisingly balanced system for making your party competitive in battle. Since your monsters share HP with their human counterparts, you have to be careful which one you send out and when. Send the wrong monster out at the wrong time, and you'll get killed. It's as simple as that. The grinding may be an issue for some people, as when you metamorph a monster, they go back to level 1 and have to be built up all over again to make them competent in battle. One other thing I must comment on is the spells. Oliver gets a massive spell index, and they actually serve alot of purposes. First, they can be used in battle. But aside from that, spells are used outside of battle to solve puzzles and problems too. And not just certain ones either. ALL OF THEM HAVE USES OUTSIDE OF BATTLE!!! I have to applaud Level-5 for doing this, because it's been YEARS since I've seen a game with this kind of mechanic, and it's refreshing to see a company make such a nod to the old school gamer. I hope if Studio Ghibli does indeed make another game, they team up with a company that uses this mechanic again, because it was great to see.

The music is fantastic. Joe Hisaishi delivers an epic score that is both memorable, and also makes the game feel huge. Not much more to say about the music, but give it a listen when you can. It's really some great stuff.

So yeah, if you haven't guessed, this is a great game and definitely worth adding to your library. I give this game the rating of: 'BUY IT'. This is one that's worth owning, especially with the plethora of sidequests and replayability due to the monster catching mechanics.

SBaby's Rating: BUY IT!
    Last edited by SBaby; 13th March 2013 at 11:13 PM.
    A Winner Is You!!!

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

The worst thing you can do in any business is blame the customer.
    - Willie 'Jack' Degel

I got a ps3 from a firnd who neevr played it and got this game with it, I'm about to start palying it and I'm seeing some really good comments about it.
    THIS IS FOR MY NINTENDO 3DS HANDHELD SYSTEM 2664-2984-6619
    THIS IS FOR MY POKEMON WHITE VIDEO GAME Mike-0218-6703-3716

Honestly NnK seems more Dragon Quest/Dragon Quest Monsters than Pokemon.