Thread: Quirks about your booster pulls?

Default Quirks about your booster pulls?

I find that sometimes I notice strange habits, and or patterns among me and others around me opening boosters. Like a friend of mine and I will split a box sometimes. And out of 5 boxes he will always pull a secret rare. Every. Single. Time.

My lovely quirk is my lack of ability to pull eelektrik NVI. Today marks my 25th pack since I started counting. I have pulled a full art N, a secret rare meowth, a full art terrakion as well as 3 regular ones, a boatload of N's and at least one of every useful card in the set. Not. One. Eelektrik.

I'm not trying to sound whiny, I know I could buy or trade off of someone in a heartbeat (which I will be now), but its just a quirk I've found. Do any of you find any strange quirks, patterns, or rarities in your pulls? I'd like to know! Qwaa

Created by PPL Qwaa

If I don't attend a pre-release I get terrible pulls from boosters of that set I missed the pre-release for, so it's become mandatory to attend every pre-release.
    The Pokemon tcg info thread//for NEW PLAYER'S!!!
    I claimed magnemite, mawaru penguindrum, and more(eventually).

Quote Originally Posted by ven? View Post
    If I don't attend a pre-release I get terrible pulls from boosters of that set I missed the pre-release for, so it's become mandatory to attend every pre-release.
    This. Pre-release packs come straight from the box, while a tin of 4 packs may have gone through a lot of processing and each pack may have come from a separate box.

If you buy a box of cards, or get them from a pre-release, you will get 8 randomized packs from the box of 36 packs (usually, since 36/8 is not a whole number). An EX is obtained in about one in every, say, 12 packs.

Normally, if you buy 8 single pack blisters, considering each comes from a different box, (pretty probable) your chances to pull any EX is 1/12 per pack.

However, since EX's will average 3 in the box, and if you get 8 pre-release packs in the same box, then your chances are greater: 3/36 (1 in 12) for the first pack like last time, then 3/35, 3/34, 3/33 etc. for each consecutive pack. For every pack you open that doesn't have an EX, that is one less pack to calculate for in the pull rates. This is, of course, considering you have an average box, and not one where you get 2 secret rares in a box, or only 1 EX in a box (both of which I have gotten.)

So, your 8th pack from a pre-release has a 10.7% chance to contain an EX, rather than a 8.33% chance from a retail pack, a difference of more than 2%
    When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

This. Pre-release packs come straight from the box, while a tin of 4 packs may have gone through a lot of processing and each pack may have come from a separate box.

If you buy a box of cards, or get them from a pre-release, you will get 8 randomized packs from the box of 36 packs (usually, since 36/8 is not a whole number). An EX is obtained in about one in every, say, 12 packs.

Normally, if you buy 8 single pack blisters, considering each comes from a different box, (pretty probable) your chances to pull any EX is 1/12 per pack.

However, since EX's will average 3 in the box, and if you get 8 pre-release packs in the same box, then your chances are greater: 3/36 (1 in 12) for the first pack like last time, then 3/35, 3/34, 3/33 etc. for each consecutive pack. For every pack you open that doesn't have an EX, that is one less pack to calculate for in the pull rates. This is, of course, considering you have an average box, and not one where you get 2 secret rares in a box, or only 1 EX in a box (both of which I have gotten.)

So, your 8th pack from a pre-release has a 10.7% chance to contain an EX, rather than a 8.33% chance from a retail pack, a difference of more than 2%
    That's not what I meant at all maybe I should have put a bit more detail into it, what I meant was is this, If I attend a pre-release my pulls for that particular set after the pre-release is done, over, dead, etc are much better then my pulls from set's of pre-releases I didn't attend.
    Last edited by ven?; 13th March 2013 at 5:48 AM.
    The Pokemon tcg info thread//for NEW PLAYER'S!!!
    I claimed magnemite, mawaru penguindrum, and more(eventually).

I don't know why, but almost ALL of the Plasma Storm packs I've opened (including the ones from the prerelease) contained a Team Plasma Weezing as the pack's Rare (or one of them, in the case of the packs that had multiple rares). Because of this, I have WAY more of these things than I know what to do with!

Hmm... not much anything to do with stats, but pre-releases are awesome, even if they're not so much a deal than they were before (at least in the US.)
    When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.