Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 227

Thread: Underrated Pokemon

  1. #176
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Up someone's a**crack
    Posts
    334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MetalSonic View Post
    Isn't Hydreigon a lil underrated? I mean, behind a sub one really can't safely switch into it unless you've got those blobs. And even then it might have Superpower for those instances...

    His movepool is SOOO great.

    What do you dudes think of Hydrei? I don't see a lot of people talk about or use him very often.
    He's a wallbreaking nuke. Nuff said.

    I always hear how people say he should be a Scarfer, when actually shouldn't. He should be played as a straight-up LO wallbreaker.
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

    [In Clan Memoriam]
    RIP Battling Academy, even though I just joined.
    Memories are eternal.

    RIP Toothpaste Clan. You kept my teeth clean.
    Dental hygiene is eternal.

    RIP Survival Island. Global warming drowned us all.
    Survival isn't eternal

  2. #177
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    on hiatus
    Posts
    964

    Default

    Tested SubPetaya Empoleon in the rain. Gosh, he's so amazing imo.

    Empoleon @ Petaya Berry
    Torrent
    12 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 238 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Substitute
    - Agility
    - Surf / Hydro Pump
    - Hidden Power [Grass] / Ice Beam

    Most of people forget that Empoleon has a good ability to sweep. +1 Empoleon totally beast. The EVs that spread into HP because you only need 3 subs instead of 4 subs with the original set one. Then you also get boosted by Torrent that boost the Water type attack on the pinch (<25% of HP). +1 Empoleon OHKO Skarmory, Thundurus-T, Scizor, Magnezone, Forretress in the rain with STAB Surf, 2HKO Keldeo, Rotom-W with HP Grass. And if you pick Ice Beam over HP Grass, you could also kill many dragons that locked into Outrage. Personally, I liked HP Grass better because it hits thread like ScarfKeldeo locked into Hydro Pump. And Surf can 2HKO most dragons in the rain. But Empoleon can't stand to face Ferrothorn and Blissey. Even with +1, Empoleon only can 3HKO them. Despite cannot take Ferrothorn and Blissey out, Empoleon still has Agility to outspeed some Scarfer. Gives him the perfect speed to sweep. Some people think that Empoleon is a underrated sweeper. But I think, Empoleon is great in OU. He can also teammates by Thundurus-T who coverage his weakness. They coverage each other very well. They check thread like Rotom-W and ScarfKeldeo.
    ♠ ♣ ♦ ♥

  3. #178
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    In your trash can
    Posts
    238

    Default

    The problems with SubPetaya Empoleon are:
    1. Getting that Substitute / Agility. Even with its Steel typing, 60 base speed sucks. Also, Keldeo is everywhere and that stupid Scarf variant will outspeed and revenge kill Empoleon even at +2. Same for Terrakion and Latios.
    2. The competition it faces from Keldeo.

    Not that it sucks, but there's a reason it's not very common.

  4. #179
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    411

    Default

    I feel like Hippo deserves more usage. It's mixed special defensive set takes literally every hit I have ever needed it to and it almost always asks for seconds. I've used TTar quite a bit but I find weather wars soooo much easier with Hippo it isn't funny


    ^You ever have that moment you realize you forgot to give credit? Sorry Irra!!^

  5. #180
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    In Froakie's Bubbles
    Posts
    236

    Default

    TBH 100% honest, Flareon *hides in corner* Nah, im just kidding, it is really good. It has all it needs between Guts+Flame Charge+Facade or, you can end a BP chain with it, it gets Stored Power+Fire Blast+HP [Grass]+Signal Beam to murder everything after a few boosts. IMO, it should be UU. SR Is NOT everything, and not every physical fire type needs flare Blitz! Such as Houndoom (Mixed) is in UU without Flare blitz!

  6. #181
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Rivet City
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _Sylveon_ View Post
    TBH 100% honest, Flareon *hides in corner* Nah, im just kidding, it is really good. It has all it needs between Guts+Flame Charge+Facade or, you can end a BP chain with it, it gets Stored Power+Fire Blast+HP [Grass]+Signal Beam to murder everything after a few boosts. IMO, it should be UU. SR Is NOT everything, and not every physical fire type needs flare Blitz! Such as Houndoom (Mixed) is in UU without Flare blitz!
    Stealth Rocks is not the only reason Flareon is in NU instead of a higher tier. In fact that might even be one of the smallest reasons. I think more then anything it is because Flareon only really big stand out trait is its huge Attack stat. But since it does not have a movepool that can take advantage of its offensive power to its best potential (To be honest it is hard to even work with its movepool since most sets it can run are not as good as they could be because of its not so great stats) and also very poor defenses and speed (Besides Spec Def which is decent) it becomes less useful then Pokemon like Arcainine or Infernape or even Magmortar. And Houndoom may not have Flare Blitz. But it doesnt need Flare Blitz. Its stats support a Special Attacker anyway. Also its movepool is a lot better and it is faster and has better defenses even if they arent that great which shows just how bad Flareons are. There is a lot more you can do with Houndoom then you can do with Flareon. There is a lot more you can do with most competitive Fire types then you can do with Flareon. I mean using something different is one thing but limiting how effective your team can be is a nother thing

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonicwari View Post
    I feel like Hippo deserves more usage. It's mixed special defensive set takes literally every hit I have ever needed it to and it almost always asks for seconds. I've used TTar quite a bit but I find weather wars soooo much easier with Hippo it isn't funny


    Hipp+Ttar is pretty nice
        Spoiler:- Credits:

  7. #182
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    151

    Default

    I feel like Hippo deserves more usage. It's mixed special defensive set takes literally every hit I have ever needed it to and it almost always asks for seconds. I've used TTar quite a bit but I find weather wars soooo much easier with Hippo it isn't funny
    I agree. Although I usually use Ttar, Hippodown's great defense and bulk is really amazing. Being able to take a +2 Close Combat from Adamant Lucario is no easy feat. (Skamory is KO'd (87.5% of the time) after Stealth Rocks and Forretress is KO'd about half the time.)


    Credits to Astral Shadow for both banners.

  8. #183
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,364

    Default

    Choice Band Unown is an underrated threat in the OU metagame...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Cold Marowak Guy View Post
    Because gen. 6 will have 126 Pokemon exactly, and show up near May 24, 2016 (give or take 3 weeks).

  9. #184
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fun Dip
    Posts
    769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ToeyJoey View Post
    Choice Band Unown is an underrated threat in the OU metagame...
    You're honestly hilarious

    OTRReun

  10. #185
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,364

    Default

    Don't knock, it's netted two kills in three matches.

    (Not that I can remember the format...)

    Unown@Choice Band
    Timid
    4 HP/252 Spd/252 Sp. Attack
    Hidden Power (Psychic)

    Need that STAB...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Cold Marowak Guy View Post
    Because gen. 6 will have 126 Pokemon exactly, and show up near May 24, 2016 (give or take 3 weeks).

  11. #186
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    0

    Default

    Gliscor is pretty much forgotten even though its really strong. And Tropius, even though it cant evolve, has decent stats, a nice move pool, and its typing is really uncommon. Same with skarmory.

  12. #187
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fun Dip
    Posts
    769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weavile32 View Post
    Gliscor is pretty much forgotten even though its really strong. And Tropius, even though it cant evolve, has decent stats, a nice move pool, and its typing is really uncommon. Same with skarmory.
    Skarmory is far from an underrated pokemon

  13. #188
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by #TWERKTEAM View Post
    OTRReun
    What does this stand for?

    To add to the thread, I don't think Gliscor is forgotten, since Poison Heal it has skyrocketed...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Cold Marowak Guy View Post
    Because gen. 6 will have 126 Pokemon exactly, and show up near May 24, 2016 (give or take 3 weeks).

  14. #189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weavile32 View Post
    Gliscor is pretty much forgotten even though its really strong. And Tropius, even though it cant evolve, has decent stats, a nice move pool, and its typing is really uncommon. Same with skarmory.
    Gliscor still sees a respectable amount of usage. It's not underrated. Skarmory has NEVER been underrated since its release in GSC.

    Tropius suffers from piss-poor speed, a stealth rock weakness, and its decent bulk is sabotaged by its 4x weakness to Ice. It's stuck in the low tiers for a reason, and struggles to counter Fighting and Water types due to its poor speed and weaknesses. Something like Sawk, Gorebyss, or Samurott will almost always have an ice type attack and swiftly dispatch of Tropius before it can even move. And if it tries to switch in? Hah. No, Tropius is pretty bad. Not underrated because its flaws are too abundant.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

  15. #190

    Default

    what a lot of the people posting here need to realize is that a lot of the things suggested here aren't underrated, they just legitimately suck more than blue harvest

    (that is a lot btw)

  16. #191
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Rivet City
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Well now that this thread seems to be alive again . . . lately I have been using Hitmonlee quite a bit and I find it to be a very good late game sweeper/revenge killer with Unburden. With Fake Out/Hi Jump Kick/Sucker Punch/Earthquake(Or Stone Edge) it is able to check a good amount of the OU metagame especially with hazards up and outspeed any unboosted Pokemon in the entire tier and some Scarfers with a speed of over 500.

    Quote Originally Posted by Weavile32 View Post
    Gliscor is pretty much forgotten even though its really strong. And Tropius, even though it cant evolve, has decent stats, a nice move pool, and its typing is really uncommon. Same with skarmory.
    Tropius typing hurts it more then anything else I think
        Spoiler:- Credits:

  17. #192
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tokyo/seven View Post
    Tropius typing hurts it more then anything else I think
    4x weakness to the Dragon killer Ice and weakness to Stealth Rock? Yes it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Cold Marowak Guy View Post
    Because gen. 6 will have 126 Pokemon exactly, and show up near May 24, 2016 (give or take 3 weeks).

  18. #193
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Old West
    Posts
    1,372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ToeyJoey View Post
    4x weakness to the Dragon killer Ice and weakness to Stealth Rock? Yes it does.
    Dragonite has much higher attack, and enough speed to outrun most pokemon with only one Dragon Dance, making it much more offensively powerful. It's dragon typing may give it a weakness to stealth rocks, but it resist fire and grass type moves, making it an excellent check to sun teams. Multiscale is a huge boost if you can manage to get it in without being damaged by stealth rocks, helps you use roost more effectively, and almost guarantees you'll manage to pull off a dragon dance, and can often help you get two, doubling your attack and speed. The only type that resist dragon is steel, which is easily handled with Fire Punch or Earthquake.

    It's offensive power is very weak, and you'll need to pull off several dragon dances in order to truly be an offensive threat. However, it's HP, defense, and resistances aren't very impressive, so this probably won't happen much. As for it's typing...it's uncommon, but that doensn't instantly mean useful. It may be able to handle opposing grass types a bit better, thanks to it's flying STAB, but with it's low speed, low power, and Ice/Rock weakness, it won't be countering the stone edge carrying fighting types or ice beam carrying water types very well.

    In short...Tropius's stats and typing don't provide it with enough to justify it's weaknesses, while Dragonite's stats, typing, and moves do.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

  19. #194
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Dragonite has much higher attack, and enough speed to outrun most pokemon with only one Dragon Dance, making it much more offensively powerful. It's dragon typing may give it a weakness to stealth rocks, but it resist fire and grass type moves, making it an excellent check to sun teams. Multiscale is a huge boost if you can manage to get it in without being damaged by stealth rocks, helps you use roost more effectively, and almost guarantees you'll manage to pull off a dragon dance, and can often help you get two, doubling your attack and speed. The only type that resist dragon is steel, which is easily handled with Fire Punch or Earthquake.

    It's offensive power is very weak, and you'll need to pull off several dragon dances in order to truly be an offensive threat. However, it's HP, defense, and resistances aren't very impressive, so this probably won't happen much. As for it's typing...it's uncommon, but that doensn't instantly mean useful. It may be able to handle opposing grass types a bit better, thanks to it's flying STAB, but with it's low speed, low power, and Ice/Rock weakness, it won't be countering the stone edge carrying fighting types or ice beam carrying water types very well.

    In short...Tropius's stats and typing provide it with enough to justify it's weaknesses, while Dragonite's stats, typing, and moves do.
    Okay, you got me. You're right. Except I can't quite understand your last sentence...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Cold Marowak Guy View Post
    Because gen. 6 will have 126 Pokemon exactly, and show up near May 24, 2016 (give or take 3 weeks).

  20. #195
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Not sure if anyone said mentioned these but: Chansey and Blissey

    Remember back in the good old days of 4th gen blissey was THE most common special wall. Literally. EVERYONE had a blissey. The metagame was pretty much centralized around blissey and how to counter it.

    With the arrival of eviolite, chansey gained notable attention in the early to mid BW meta on stall teams. But alas, they've both fallen from grace as stall has pretty much died out. Nowadays,

    blissey is sitting at #35 and chansey at #56 in usage statistics. For a period of time, Blissey was even suspected for UU. It's a shame, really. They're both highly underrated.

    Yes, they're countered by a large portion of the meta, but if you use them effectively, they can still offer amazing team support. It's too bad most people don't know how to use them effectively...

  21. #196
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fun Dip
    Posts
    769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Star View Post
    Not sure if anyone said mentioned these but: Chansey and Blissey

    Remember back in the good old days of 4th gen blissey was THE most common special wall. Literally. EVERYONE had a blissey. The metagame was pretty much centralized around blissey and how to counter it.

    With the arrival of eviolite, chansey gained notable attention in the early to mid BW meta on stall teams. But alas, they've both fallen from grace as stall has pretty much died out. Nowadays,

    blissey is sitting at #35 and chansey at #56 in usage statistics. For a period of time, Blissey was even suspected for UU. It's a shame, really. They're both highly underrated.

    Yes, they're countered by a large portion of the meta, but if you use them effectively, they can still offer amazing team support. It's too bad most people don't know how to use them effectively...
    How do you use them effectively when Keldeo is nuking everything atm?

  22. #197
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    110

    Default

    This is why we have team support. Obviously you would not keep a chansey/blissey in on a keldeo. That's like saying "How do I counter terrakion witth my blissey?"

  23. #198
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Star View Post
    This is why we have team support. Obviously you would not keep a chansey/blissey in on a keldeo. That's like saying "How do I counter terrakion witth my blissey?"
    Toxic, Focus Sash, hope protect works until Terrakion faints?

    Focus Sash, use Counter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Cold Marowak Guy View Post
    Because gen. 6 will have 126 Pokemon exactly, and show up near May 24, 2016 (give or take 3 weeks).

  24. #199
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fun Dip
    Posts
    769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Star View Post
    This is why we have team support. Obviously you would not keep a chansey/blissey in on a keldeo. That's like saying "How do I counter terrakion witth my blissey?"
    Obviously that user title of "Certified Boss" is mistaken. Chansey and Blissey kill almost all momentum when used on a nonstall team, which is why they aren't being used. Plus Keldeo is on basically every team and it obliterates them.

  25. #200
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Wheresville
    Posts
    9

    Default

    a big problem with blissey is that so many special attackers have good ways around it. latios can kill it in two hits with psyshock or trick a specs on to it. keldeo has secret sword of course. reuniclus has psyshock too, and rotom-w has trick as well. thundurs-t is so insanely strong that it actually 2hkos after a nasty plot even with a non boosting item. unless blissey has thunder wave or fire blast or something, venusaur just sets up on it and then spams giga drain. you might be able to take on volcarona, unless it's in the sun, in which case more offensive sets 2hko you with fire blast after a quiver dance boost. you only beat a few special attackers, like starmie and jolteon. there are other specially based pokemon that you can handle with blissey such as tentacruel and jellicent, but they are usually much weaker support pokemon, and it's not very impressive when you wall a support pokemon.

    i wouldnt say that blissey is underrated, just that she's not that great in this metagame.
    it's not that i have bad grammar, it's just that the shift keys on my laptop don't always work, so it's easier to just not capitalize stuff. sorry if that makes my posts hard to read.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •