Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #115

Default Community POTW #115

Time for the next Pokémon, and this time it's a complete classic

It's Slowbro, the first evolution of Slowpoke. This Pokémon runs completely differently to its Generation II evolutionary counterpart.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/080.shtml

Go nuts

Ah, Slowbro, the original derp
    Here's a set I like to use

@Leftovers
    Nature: Bold
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 248 Hp / 16 SpAtk / 244SpDef
    -Calm Mind
    -Scald
    -Psyshock
    -Slack off
    [Insert generic signature here]

Item: Leftovers
    Moves: Trick Room, Psychic, Scald, Ice Beam
        Spoiler:- Favourite Pokemon:

Slowbro@ Choice Specs
    Modest
    Regenerator
    252 HP/252 sp att/4 Defense
    Surf/Scald
    Psyshock/Psychic
    Fire Blast
    Grass Knot/Ice Beam

Item: Sitrus Berry
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
    Moveset:
    - Belly Drum
    - Drain Punch
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Punch

No need for STAB moves due to very high attack. Plus Slowbro doesnt get waterfall. This set can be supported with Trick Room, but it can still work. Drain Punch is great for healing off the damage from belly drum. The rest are for coverage.
    I like a good fight, and I NEVER turn off the power when I'm about to lose a battle. Because of others doing this, and me not turning off, my record does not look how it should. It's shame that the pokemon world allows these cowards to escape a loss.

If more people don't do this, then pokemon battling will become more fair and fun.

If anyone wants to battle, I'm up for it. My Immence Salamences need their training.

Ah, Slowbro. I've loved using this derp-face since Gen I. Good-bordering-Great HP, Great Defense, Great Sp.Atk, Trick Room Speed is Good, Average Sp.Def, Below Average Attack, Recovery through Slack Off, and access to Fire-Type Moves as a Water Type. These, plus STAB Psyshock and Surf are why Slowbro is such a good Pokemon. What makes it a great Pokemon is Regenerator Ability. Also, while its Attack is Below Average, a Curse-buffing Physical-bro in a Trick Room is pretty deadly in its own right.

Slowbro's main drawback is how common some of its Weaknesses are and how common they come in a Special-based variety: Shadow Ball, Dark Pulse, Bug Buzz, Signal Beam, Thunder, Thunderbolt, Electroball - especially Electroball - Energy Ball, and Giga Drain to name a few. Not that that's a bad thing - Slowbro is a clear definition of Bulky Water despite the Average Sp.Def. Not only that, it brings plenty o' Physical bulk to flaunt at its Psychic-Type brethren.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Come at me Bro! (the easiest pun ever...)

Slowbro@leftovers
    Ev's: 252HP/252Def/4Spatt
    -Scald
    -Psyshock
    -Slack off
    -Yawn/Twave/Fire Blast

Standard tanking set, Slowbro is very difficult to kill because of its Regenerator ability. This set is a full stop to almost all fighting types in the game. Let them burn with Scald, regain health with Slack off, and KO those pesky Fighting types with Psyshock, which also ensures Slowbro isn't walled by certain pink blobs. The last slot is open for your own creativity, Slowbro has a pretty wide movepool, but the best options are usually Yawn, Thunder Wave or Fire Blast. Grass Knot or Ice beam are also options.

btw this set works wonderfully with Roserade, who can get rid of the poison that Slowbro hates with Aromatherapy, and can KO bulky waters that wall Slowbro with Giga Drain or Leaf Storm.
        Spoiler:- DD stuff:

You wouldn't think it by looking at one, but Slowbro tends to be one heck of a tank. With solid physical bulk, reliable recovery, and great special attack for a defensive Pokemon allow it to take hits, shrug them off, and bite back.

The Tank
    EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 SpA
    Moves:
    -Scald
    -Psyshock
    -Slack Off
    -Thunder Wave

The standard physical tank Slowbro pretty much checks most fighting types outright, at least those not named Heracross or Scrafty. Scald is the primary STAB, and its 30% burn chance will make most physical attackers think twice about eating one. Psyshock is your secondary STAB, which obviously will ruin the days of most fighting types, along with Poison types (namely, Roserade). The 12 SpA EVs guarantee that after Stealth Rock, you'll be able to KO Roserade with Psyshock. Between Slack off, Regenerator, and Leftovers recovery, Slowbro has several ways to keep its HP high, making it tricky to pin down. Finally, Thunder Wave can allow it to cripple some of its would-be counters who try to switch in, including powerful special attackers such as Mismagius, Porygon Z, Raikou, and Zapdos none of which want to have their speed compromised.

Other Options:
    Fire Blast can be considered over Thunder Wave if you want to hit things like Shaymin, Registeel, and Weavile harder. In addition, it's also viable if you're more concerned about spreading burns with Scald, and thus find the paralysis unnecessary. Obviously Slowbro is slow. As a result, he benefits greatly from Trick Room support. He can set it up himself in lieu of Thunder Wave, but some people favor Bronzong as a Trick Room setter. Ice Beam can be nice for dealing with the ever-annoying Flygon, but a burn from Scald deals with it just as easily. Calm mind can be useful if you want to patch up Slowbro's weaker Special Defense, while simultaneously giving it more of an offensive presence. And of course, the thematically appropriate Yawn can be great for forcing switches, so it pairs well with entry hazards. Slowbro can also utilize Trick on Choice sets, allowing it to switch a Choice Specs onto something like Scrafty, locking it into a boosting move.
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

EVs: 252 Hp/ 252 Def/ 4 SpA
    Moves:
    -Scald/ Surf
    -Thunderwave/ Toxic
    -Slack Off
    -Grass Knot/ Psychic/ Psyshock/ Flamethrower

Ah slowbro. I remember back to last Summer where together with Snorlax this guy made a fantastic defensive core. He's a great tank, that has benefited from it's somewhat unorthodox movepool and great defence.

Oblivious stops Attract from working, which isn't terribly useful as no-one uses Attract.
    Own Tempo stops Confusion and is in a similar boat. Confusion is a bit more common than Attract but few opponents really take advantage of it.

Regenerator heals 33.3% HP when switched out. It's by far the preferred ability for almost any pokemon and increases Slowbro's longevity by quite a bit.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
    Bold
    Regenerator
    252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spatk
    -Scald
    -Slack Off
    -Thunder Wave / Toxic / Yawn
    -Psyshock / Fire Blast

The bread n' butter slowbro set, making the most of that great defence stat. Scald's 30% burn chance is a great help to Slowbro in crippling physical attackers. Slack Off for some reliable recover.
    The last 2 slots present a choice. Thunder Wave cripples opponents, but not much else. Toxic is one of your best ways of doing damage but Yawn can force switches or put opponents to sleep allowing you to take control of the battle quite easily. Psyshock is a general coverage move but Fire blast allows you to do a lot of damage to incoming Shaymins/Tangelas or even KO them if sufficiently weakened and a few other things if your prediction is good. Notably Fire Blast has the same base power as STAB Psyshock.

Counters
    Shaymin is a great counter. It doesn't fear status thanks to NAtural Cure, can take a Fire Blast to the face and retaliate with Seed Flare. Roserade has more to fear from Psyshock/Fire blast but can setup on it with ease after a Sleep Powder or just Leaf Storm him to death. Shed Skin Scrafty turns Slowbro into setup fodder by just healing of Burn, Paralysis or Poison and tanking hits with its great defences. Guts Heracross has a field day here especially with Swords Dance and Megahorn.
    Virizion has the Spdef to tank a Fire Blast(be wary of PSyshock) but can set up comfortably with SD/CM. Many frailer special attackers can revenge kill it: Yanmega, Zoroark, Raikou, Rotom-H etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

Slowbro is one of the few Pokemon that I'm surprised hasn't moved up to OU yet. I'm guessing what holds it back is Roserade, but in OU, it can tank hits from Non-Swords Dance Terrakion (which is a big achievement in itself), Infernape, Conkeldurr, Metagross and some Keldeo. It excels in its own tier as well, tanking physical behemoths like Rhyperior, Mienshao, Darmanitan, and Machamp.

(Will add more later)
    DW Pokemon I can offer:

Slowbro is a classic. While it is far from amazing, it is quite good. Always have Regenerator as the ability.

Trick Room + Calm Mind
    Nature: Quiet
    EVs: 252 special attack and HP, 4 defense
    @: Life Orb

Trick Room
    Calm Mind
    Surf/Psyshock/Fire Blast
    Surf/Psyshock/Fire Blast

Slowbro is one amazing Trick Room user and abuser.

Trick Room + 3 attacks
    EVs: 252 special attack and HP, 4 defense
    @: Life Orb

Trick Room
    Psyshock
    Fire Blast
    Surf

A more straightforward approach.

Bulky Slowbro
    EVs: 252 special attack, 100 HP, 52 defense, 4 special defense
    @: Lum Berry/Leftovers

Calm Mind
    Slack Off
    Scald
    Psychic/Psyshock/Fire Blast

This takes Slowbro's natural bulk and elevates it to great levels. Calm Mind boosts the lower Special defense while adding power, Slack Off allows recovery without switching out, Scald burns, and then coverage.
    I claim Buizel.

Quote Originally Posted by MatchMaster View Post
    Slowbro is one of the few Pokemon that I'm surprised hasn't moved up to OU yet. I'm guessing what holds it back is Roserade, but in OU, it can tank hits from Non-Swords Dance Terrakion (which is a big achievement in itself), Infernape, Conkeldurr, Metagross and some Keldeo. It excels in its own tier as well, tanking physical behemoths like Rhyperior, Mienshao, Darmanitan, and Machamp.
    I believe it's not in OU because, as a physical tank, the inability to wall prominent physical threats such as Scizor and Breloom is a detriment, especially when more prominent OU physical walls, such as Gliscor and Skarmory, can do exactly that. Don't get me wrong, Slowbro could make it in OU, but it faces stiff competition, and when that competition can check threats that Slowbro can't, well, then it keeps it out of OU.
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Slowbro
    Bold
    EV's 252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Sp.def
    Calm Mind
    Scald
    Flamethrower
    Slack Off

Calm mind builds bulk and your offense, Scald can burn making you a better physical wall, flamethrower for annoying grass types and such slack off helps you stay alive, end if story

3DS XL FC for Pokemon Y 2595-0724-5772 IGN SmeargleRocks
    Shiny Number 1268

I can offer gen6 cloning services, I will only clone what I don't have as glitch cloning can take awhile and be stressful

Self caught shinies on Y 24
    first successfull (and accidental) MM Shelmet timid 31/1/19/31/31/31 4:25 pm EST 4/14/14
    Shiny XD Gale of Darkness Zubat caught September 17th 2012 @ 4:24 pm EST cave PokeSpot

FUC* ALL HACKERS!!!
    ALL Gen6 6IV Event pokemon are hacked

Slowbro @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/6 Defense
    Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)/Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
    -Curse/Belly Drum
    -Aqua Tail
    -Earthquake
    -Ice Punch/Zen Headbutt

Okay, I got this. The name for the trolliest, most annoying stall or tank set:

U MAD BRO?

Quote Originally Posted by your boss View Post
    Slowbro@ Choice Specs
    Modest
    Regenerator
    252 HP/252 sp att/4 Defense
    Surf/Scald
    Psyshock/Psychic
    Fire Blast
    Grass Knot/Ice Beam
    Who uses Scald on a choice set?

Anyway, besides that, this guy looks pretty good. It may be weaker and slower then Keldeo, but it has much better bulk and regenerator, meaning that it'll be able to swap in and out constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by MatchMaster View Post

(Will add more later)
    That's probably the furthest reason as to why it hasn't moved up. In order to move up, you need to exceed a certain usage in UU (I believe it was anything greater than 21%?), or exceed 3.41% usage in OU. Due to, simply put, the moronity of the UU Ladder, other bulky Water-types, specifically Blastoise and Empoleon, see more usage than Slowbro. Something other bulky Water-types, such as Suicune, Slowking, and Milotic have over Slowbro, is that they can tank hits from both Physical and Special threats, whereas Slowbro tends to just fold against most Special Attacks (unless it runs Calm Mind). The same can't exactly be said about OU, since Slowbro is more of a niche Pokemon designed to counter specific threats, where old OU classics, such as Skarmory and Gliscor, do the same thing over a broader range of physical attackers. KillerDraco made mention of this, where certain threats (Breloom, Scizor, and Tyranitar) can still bypass Slowbro's bulk thanks to their STAB.

I also want to make menton that Slowbro isn't the ideal Trick Room setter, but its brethren, Slowking is. Slowking, unlike Slowbro, has access to Nasty Plot, making it a more reliable and threatening Trick Room setter.

When you say wall, I say Slowbro. Slowbro is one of my all-time favorite pokemon. Phenomenal stats, an awesome movepool, and thanks to the DW a great ability, too. This guy is incredible. oh, and his typing's not half bad either.
    You see, what's nice is that due to his ability, typing, and movepool, you can really use him on any team, be it Sand to wall Terrakion or Gliscor, or Rain to cripple Gyarados or something. Slowbro just works for any team.

Regenerator (DW): Slowbro has two other abilities, but neither of them are good. Only this one, which heals a third of Slowbro's health when it switches it. Really great for tanking and stalling, and then switching out to reheal and get ready for round two. It's really helpful.

Unorthodox but just as successful
    -Calm Mind
    -Scald
    -Psychic
    -Slack Off
    EVs and Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
    252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp. Atk
    What's great about Slowbro, and what makes him better than his Gen II counterpart, is the fact that he has great Defense and then access to Calm Mind. Here's the idea: after switching in on a Fighting type, you use Calm Mind twice, while he switches, then Slack off to heal off any damage you may have taken. Suddenly, you've become an invincible tank, with your STAB moves to wreck most pokemon with your now-outrageously high Special Attack. The EVs are to tank physically. This is by far my favorite set I have ever used for Slowbro, and boy does it work.
    If you want, you can switch Psychic for Ice Beam for more coverage, but I prefer his STAB attacks.

Now, for the popular set
    -Thunder Wave
    -Scald
    -Slack Off
    -Ice Beam
    EVs and Nature: Calm (+Sp. Def, -Atk)
    252 HP/4 Def/252 Sp. Def
    To be honest, I've never used this set before, so don't quote me on the EVs. This just makes the most sense to me, since you have Scald to cripple physical sweepers. Thunder Wave is for those super-fast Special Sweepers, and Slack Off is to help stall. Ice Beam is just coverage. You may want to switch the EVs to max Defense if you want a really good physical wall, but it's up to you.

Countering Slowbro
    Jellicent is quite a counter, but Slowbro can't actually do anything to it, especially if it gets Taunted. that's your Slack Off and Calm Mind/Thunder Wave, which define Slowbro, both gone right there. Breloom is also a tough counter, both Technician and Poison Heal. With Poison Heal, you can't Burn him, so he can just Seed Bomb you to death; with Technician, Bullet Seed will most likely eliminate you instantly. Scizor is also kind of a check, as Bug Bite/U-Turn will deal tons of damage, which really isn't good for Slowbro. However, other than that, I guess it can be taken down easily.
    The biggest counter, however, is Toxic, especially without anyone on your team to heal it. Your stalling potential is gone right there, and it could cost you if you took a big hit and don't have time to heal, especially with his low base Speed. Burn is similar as well, and if you get too Paralyzed it destroys you. So all in all, status is something you want to avoid if you have a Slowbro.

This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

Slowbro. One of the greatest prodigies in the Trick Room metagame, and for good reason, too. Slowbro has everything a Trick Roomer needs; Bulk, typing resistances, healing, great offensive stats, and great offensive movepool. The only problem he has, however, is that his movepool is too good. Slowbro can only hold four moves, and there's a great difficulty in choosing what to use, even worse when you want to use Slowbro for setting up Trick Room.

As a result, Slowbro is capable of multiple sets that achieve different things.

Hit and Run
    Slowbro@Leftovers
    Quiet Nature
    Regenerator Ability
    252 HP/80 Sp.Atk/176 Def
    -Trick Room
    -Flamethrower
    -Scald
    -Psyshock/Grass Knot

The objective here is to set up Trick Room at the most appropriate time, then do whatever you want, with Slowbro capable of staying in to hurt something or fleeing to let someone else handle the threat. In case you stay in, Flamethrower lets Slowbro cook opposing Grass and Bug types while soldering Steel types. Scald is more defensive than offensive, as any physical threat that gets burned no longer becomes a problem to Slowbro, but you can switch it out for a stronger Water move. The last move is up to preference. Psyshock gets STAB and lets Slowbro deal with Blissey like threats while Grass Knot allows him to take on other Water types as long as they're heavier, it's also Slowbro's best bet against other Slowbro, just putting that out there.

Status Platform
    Slowbro@Leftovers
    Relaxed Nature
    Regenerator Ability
    252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp.Atk
    -Trick Room
    -Scald
    -Toxic
    -Yawn

Like Hit and Run, except Slowbro can incapacitate a few pokemon while he has the speed advantage. Scald is much more useful as it can score a burn and provides STAB and keeps Slowbro from being Taunt bait. Toxic is for when he meets other Water types. Yawn is for the threat of Sleep and can force switching while Slowbro may be left able to set up Trick Room once again.

Future Sight Gimmick
    Slowbro@Leftovers
    Quiet Nature
    Regenerator
    252 HP-252 Sp.Atk/4 Def
    -Trick Room
    -Future Sight
    -Yawn
    -Signal Beam/Flamethrower

Yeah, yeah. Future Sight, right? Well, Future Sight is not the main move of this set, Yawn is. Once Future Sight is used, an opponent will be very tempted to switch out, provided you used it on something that would be effective. Once they make that switch, to a Dark type, most likely, you hit them with Yawn. Then your opponent finds themselves in a dilemma. Switch out to avoid the sleep and leave another Pokemon for dead with Future Sight, or stay in to remove Slowbro and take the Future Sight and Yawn? Meanwhile, Slowbro also packs Signal Beam, which he can use against Dark and Psychic types that would resist Future Sight, so a pokemon's gonna get hurt either way. Flamethrower is also an option to be able to hit Steel types as well that would also resist Future Sight.

The point of this set is to be used with Entry Hazards.

Versatile Attacker
    Slowbro@Leftovers
    Quiet Nature
    Regenerator Ability
    252 HP/176 Sp.Atk/80 Def
    -Trick Room
    -Flamethrower
    -Surf
    -Me First

This is a Slowbro designed to hit just about anything for the most damage. Now, you might be asking, what the hell did you include Me First for? First, the coverage. Flamethrower hits Grass, Steels, Bug, and Ice, two of which are types Slowbro is weak against. Surf is your casual STAB, hitting Fire, Ground, and Rock, bringing Slowbro's coverage up to 7 types. Me First covers the other 50. I'll need a separate paragraph to explain.

Me First is underrated because it isn't used to its greatest potential. Think about it, since Slowbro is a Water type, what moves would an opposing Water type most likely use? Toxic? Probably. A Boosting Move? And then what? Grass and Electric moves? Bingo. Slowbro is capable of using Me First to copy such deadly attacks and then send them back to the opponent for the most effective damage. It's a one time deal, since an opponent isn't likely to try it again, but it's a good shot. Trick Room helps Slowbro react fast enough to use Me First.

As long as Slowbro is up against other Water and/or Psychic types, they're just as likely to use a Super Effective move in an attempt to dispatch of Slowbro. And since Slowbro's Sp.Def is his weaker stat, it pretty much guarantees that the move Me First copies is gonna be a special move. Me First also means that Slowbro will cover Ghost and Dragon Types, bringing up Slowbro's coverage to 11 types out of 17, not too shabby.

Also it should be noted that Me First can copy Circle Throw and Dragon Tail, and works through Substitute, but you wouldn't want to be in that situation...

That's all I have to share.

^Except that Slowbro is not White Kyurem in derp form, and people will not be freaking out about Future Sight. Yawn will definitely cause switches, but future sight? Eh....

And if a pokemon doesn't like psychic attacks, they'll swap out regardless.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 10th March 2013 at 10:16 PM.

How about this?Slowbro
    adamant nature
    evs 252 hp
    (with Leftovers and Regenerator)
    Calm Mind
    Psychic
    Surf/Flamethrower/Scald/Slack Off/Yawn
    Surf/Flamethrower/Scald/Slack Off/Yawn
    Calm mind for powering up slowbro, psychic since STAB. Bug or Dark type troubling you? Flamethrower is there, especially for scizor. Need more STAB? Surf. Status? Scald. Slack off to heal while you have Yawned the opponent.
    Quote Originally Posted by DX 2401PT View Post
    Groudon: "Hey, hey, hey, hey, HEY! Stop tearing apart the land that I JUST created! What's wrong with you?!"
    Regigigas: "I'LL DO WHAT I WANT!"

^ Why would you have an Adamant nature? That lowers Special Attack and raises Attack. The Nature should be a Modest nature for more power, or Bold for more Defense.

I like to use this Trick Room set,
    Slowbro @ Leftovers/Life Orb
    Quiet Nature, 0 Speed IVs
    EVs: 252 HP 252 Spec Attack 4 Defense
    Trick Room
    Psychic/Psyshock
    Surf
    Ice Beam/Flamethrower

Trick Room is obvious.
    Psychic hits Fighting types better, Psyshock hits special walls.
    Surf is a good STAB move.
    Ice Beam hits Gliscor/ Zapdos/Landorus etc. Flamethrower hits Ferrothorn/Scizor/Metagross etc.

Slowbro @ Choice Specs
    Modest Nature (+Sp.Attack,-Att), Regenerator
    252 Special Attack, 252 Hp, 6 Defense
    ~ Psychic
    ~ Surf
    ~ Fire Blast
    ~ Ice Beam

Quote Originally Posted by ~Kari~ View Post
    ^ Why would you have an Adamant nature? That lowers Special Attack and raises Attack. The Nature should be a Modest nature for more power, or Bold for more Defense.
    quite right, i forgot.

Is it a good set?
    What do you think is the best item for slowbro?
    Quote Originally Posted by DX 2401PT View Post
    Groudon: "Hey, hey, hey, hey, HEY! Stop tearing apart the land that I JUST created! What's wrong with you?!"
    Regigigas: "I'LL DO WHAT I WANT!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast