Thread: Kanto Fan fic - expanded regional dex?

Default Kanto Fan fic - expanded regional dex?

I'm writing a fan fic, and its in the Kanto region. As it takes place such a long period after the last Kanto media, and Pokemon distribution often changes drastically (B/W 2), I thought I would make a new regional Pokedex. Here is what I have so far. If you have any tips on how to make it more Pokemon-like and such, they are greatly appreciated. Here goes:

1)Bulbasaur
    2)Ivysaur
    3)Venusaur
    4)Charmander
    5)Charmeleon
    6)Charizard
    7)Squirtle
    8)Wartortle
    9)Blastoise
    10)Caterpie
    11)Metapod
    12)Butterfree
    13)Sentret
    14)Furret
    15)Kricketot
    16)Kricketune
    17)Weedle
    18)Kakuna
    19)Beedrill
    20)Pidgey
    21)Pidgeotto
    22)Pidgeot
    23)Rattata
    24)Raticate
    25)Spearow
    26)Fearow
    27)Ralts
    28)Kirlia
    29)Gardevoir
    30)Gallade
    31)Pichu
    32)Pikachu
    33)Raichu
    34)Cherubi
    35)Cherrim
    36)Ekans
    37)Arbok
    38)Cleffa
    39)Clefairy
    40)Clefable
    41)Igglybuff
    42)Jigglypuff
    43)Wigglytuff
    44)Timburr
    45)Gurdurr
    46)Conkeldurr
    47)Mareep
    48)Flaafy
    49)Ampharos
    50)Sandshrew
    51)Sandslash
    52)Nidoran-F
    53)Nidorina
    54)Nidoqueen
    55)Nidoran-M
    56)Nidorino
    57)Nidoking
    58)Paras
    59)Parasect
    60)Seedot
    61)Nuzleaf
    62)Shiftry
    63)(unlockable after first gym) Oddish
    64)(unlockable after first gym) Gloom
    65)(unlockable after first gym) Vileplume
    66)(unlockable after first gym) Bellossom
    67)(unlockable after first gym) Poliwag
    68)(unlockable after first gym) Poliwhirl
    69)(unlockable after first gym) Poliwrath
    70)(unlockable after first gym) Politoed
    71)Buizel
    72)Floatzel
    73)(unlockable after second gym) Lotad
    74)(unlockable after second gym) Lombre
    75)(unlockable after second gym) Ludicolo
    76)Venonat
    77)Venomoth
    78)(unlockable after third gym) Roggenrola
    79)(unlockable after third gym) Boldore
    80)(unlockable after third gym) Gigalith
    81)Zubat
    82)Golbat
    83)Crobat
    84)Geodude
    85)Graveler
    86)Golem
    87)Abra
    88)Kadabra
    89)Alakazam
    90)Slowpoke
    91)Slowbro
    92)Slowking
    93)Tentacool
    94)Tentacruel
    95)(unlockable after first gym) Audino
    96)(unlockable after fifth gym) Aron
    97)(unlockable after fifth gym) Lairon
    98)(unlockable after first gym) Aggron
    99)Mankey
    100)Primeape
    101)Growlithe
    102)Arcanine
    103)Grimer
    104)Muk
    105)Riolu
    106)Lucario
    107)Munna
    108)Musharna
    109)Azurill
    110)Marill
    111)Azumarill
    112)(unlockable after first gym) Togepi
    113)(unlockable after first gym) Togetic
    114)(unlockable after first gym) Togetic
    115)Vulpix
    116)Ninetales
    117)Diglett
    118)Dugtrio
    119)Gastly
    120)Haunter
    121)Gengar
    122)(unlockable after fourth gym) Spiritomb
    123)Munchlax
    124)Snorlax
    125)Darumaka
    126)Darmanitan
    127)Maractus
    128)(unlockable after first gym) Sandile
    129)(unlockable after first gym) Krokorok
    130)(unlockable after first gym) Krookodile
    131)Magnemite
    132)Magneton
    133)Magnezone
    134)Eevee
    135)Vaporeon
    136)Jolteon
    137)Flareon
    138)Umbreon
    139)Espeon
    140)Leafeon
    141)Glaceon
    142)Machop
    143)Machoke
    144)Machamp
    145)Burmy
    146)Wormadam
    147)Mothim
    148)(unlockable after first gym) Magikarp
    149)(unlockable after first gym) Gyarados
    150)(unlockable after first gym) Feebas
    151)(unlockable after first gym) Milotic
    152)Stunky
    153)Skuntank
    154)Goldeen
    155)Seaking
    156)Staryu
    157)Starmie
    158)(unlockable after third gym) Karrablast
    159)(unlockable after third gym) Escavalier
    160)(unlockable after sixth gym) Cryogonal
    161)(unlockable after third gym) Shelmet
    162)(unlockable after third gym) Accelgor
    163)(unlockable after seventh gym) Swinub
    164)(unlockable after seventh gym) Piloswine
    165)(unlockable after seventh gym) Mamoswine
    166)Delibird
    167)Sneasel
    168)Weavile
    169)Lapras
    170)Omanyte
    171)Omastar
    172)Kabuto
    173)Kabutops
    174)Aerodactyl
    175)(locked)
    176)Unown
    177)Sigilyph
    178)(locked)
    179)(locked)
    180)Durant
    181)Tropius

That's what I have so far. Locked is reserved. In the fan fic, each time you earn a badge, certain slots in the Dex are unlocked, and the Pokemon there can be documented.

I'm not on much anymore...

The region would have Pokemon that would sensibly be there, as either transported in by people for some reason or which traveled/started there on their own. I could see any of these working, depending on the geography of the places they were found in (after all, if a giant stomach can be found blocking crucial roads anything can happen). Maybe this wouldn't come into play, but the numbering system is pretty much a game mechanic, rather than a realistic thing to include; the Pokemon aren't ordered by what they're found in, but by a highly arbitrary numerical system? It could be wedged into the story as a taxonomy sort of thing, but I think it would be easier to leave it out (that is, only if you weren't only using this list as a reference point for writing).

Before making a list of numbered Pokemon with certain challenges to unlock some of them, I would first ask this: why is the Pokedex being filled out? Is it given to certain prospective trainers who are expected to go out and fill the data for a central hub of information? Does every trainer get one, and they fill their own out for personal use? Is it some sort of challenge/game, like a passive treasure hunt, where all the information is already known but trainers are encouraged to fill it out for prizes? These things matter; every game has used the Pokedex as one of the few reasons for the main character to wander across the land, but there's never more than a couple of them we ever see in a region. I don't mean to discourage by this, but ignoring the motivation for filling out a Pokedex is pretty counterproductive to making it a part of the story.
    "That poison's only strong enough to kill a dead dog"

A boy and his frog, venturing across the lands in search of sister and glory.

Here's what an old fella told me:

Johto Pokemon are OK, since they're native to Kanto. Or like what Juggler said, if they're transported by ships or people. Yeah Pokemon can have... and that they make Johto Pokemon out of that. Like Magby and Elekid. Or if the geography fits their desires for a perfect climate. Kanto has Seafoam Islands. So it's home to Ice and Water types.

But Unova it's extremely far from Kanto and barely has relation. It makes no sense to be native there when it said that it's a faraway region. Sinnoh and Hoenn, there's some, since it was proven in the Battle Frontier and the games.

But don't treat the unlockable Pokedex as a game. Remember that Pokemon fics aren't like the games, and treat it like they're already there but they're barely active though some are. And why not put all Kanto Pokemon? This advice may not not make s
    Ense, so feel free to ask!
    Last edited by Quilava42; 9th March 2013 at 11:41 AM.

DeviantART Account|Youtube Account|Tumblr Account
    [*IMG]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/BrutakaBlaziken/Quilava42GIF_zps60c971ae.gif[/IMG*]

Please check the signature rules. Image size in total cannot exceed 500 kB.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilava42 View Post
    Here's what an old fella told me:

Johto Pokemon are OK, since they're native to Kanto. Or like what Juggler said, if they're transported by ships or people. Yeah Pokemon can have... and that they make Johto Pokemon out of that. Like Magby and Elekid. Or if the geography fits their desires for a perfect climate. Kanto has Seafoam Islands. So it's home to Ice and Water types.

But Unova it's extremely far from Kanto and barely has relation. It makes no sense to be native there when it said that it's a faraway region. Sinnoh and Hoenn, there's some, since it was proven in the Battle Frontier and the games.

But don't treat the unlockable Pokedex as a game. Remember that Pokemon fics aren't like the games, and treat it like they're already there but they're barely active though some are. And why not put all Kanto Pokemon? This advice may not not make s
    Ense, so feel free to ask!
    The dex is just a reference point, and it's not finished. I put in a few Unova pokemon as B/W 2 (yes, I know not to base it on a game) had such a varied dex. Since the last time we got any media from Kanto was a while ago, and a lot could change in that time. And this isn't the final reference point, I put it here to get advice that will bring it to perfection.

Is this more of a set for your own trainer made story? This charts looks to be like one as if many years in Kanto Later
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

Quote Originally Posted by jireh the provider View Post
    Is this more of a set for your own trainer made story? This charts looks to be like one as if many years in Kanto Later
    It is many years later in Kanto! Someone caught on! Kanto has technologically evolved (no pun intended), as well.

Oh, and to all following, the dex above is updated and completed. As of ten minutes from now.

Default Kanto fan fic - expanded map?

So, I have previously posted an expanded regional Poekdex, which i will use for reference when writing. Besides this I made other references, among them a map. I took the one from Pokearth and made some edits on GIMP:
    (note: material subject to change)

Map for story - Part 1.jpg

Ugh, the forum ate my original reply. Time to rewrite!

I've merged your two threads since they were pretty similar concepts and they were for the same fic anyway.

Regarding your 'Dex, while it's great that you now have a reference you can refer to while writing, it isn't really necessary, at least not to post publicly. Really, you can just decide what Pokemon would logically appear as you go along - ask yourself "in X location, what Pokemon might my character/s see?" and go from there. I wouldn't advise posting it simply because you won't have many readers who will be excited by or feel the need to read a list of nearly two hundred Pokemon names (I myself got bored after thirty). For many readers, it won't add anything to your fic or add to their enjoyment/understanding of it.

As for what Pokemon appear there, it's pretty logical stuff, as Quilava said. Unova is pretty far away, making it unlikely that many Pokemon from there would somehow migrate to Kanto, but Pokemon for whom the region would provide good living environments, Kanto Pokemon with evolutions/pre-evolutions only introduced in later generations, and Johto Pokemon, living in Kanto would make sense.

As for the "unlockable" 'Dex entries, I really don't see the point. From a logical standpoint it just doesn't really make sense. Few kids would see a Pokemon they want and think "oh, I can't access any data on it yet, I guess I won't catch it." Consequently, programmers would not create a system where they would purposely withhold important information about magical monsters and leave kids in the dark. I really can't see a reason for this kind of mechanic in a story.

Your map is just difficult to comment on because you haven't provided any information on the new locations. It also opens up a few questions. How does this new segment of the region connect to the original parts? How does one get there? And why is that southeast town off the road unlike any other city or town?

Really, if you're writing a fic set in Kanto's future, I think it would be much more interesting to know how the region and the people therein have changed. Most of this stuff is just aesthetic and only changes so much. if you want the good stuff, you need to explore a little deeper. Black 2 and White 2 weren't only good because of the new areas and new available Pokemon; the games also looked at what a region looked like two years after the failure of a group that sought to make people re-think their relationship with Pokemon, and after their legendary dragons appeared and sided with opposing heroes. It's putting thought into things like social changes that will interest people and allow your creativity to shine through.

Anyhow, just a few things to think about. Hope this helps, and best of luck!
    ~Psychic

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
    Ugh, the forum ate my original reply. Time to rewrite!

I've merged your two threads since they were pretty similar concepts and they were for the same fic anyway.

Regarding your 'Dex, while it's great that you now have a reference you can refer to while writing, it isn't really necessary, at least not to post publicly. Really, you can just decide what Pokemon would logically appear as you go along - ask yourself "in X location, what Pokemon might my character/s see?" and go from there. I wouldn't advise posting it simply because you won't have many readers who will be excited by or feel the need to read a list of nearly two hundred Pokemon names (I myself got bored after thirty). For many readers, it won't add anything to your fic or add to their enjoyment/understanding of it.

As for what Pokemon appear there, it's pretty logical stuff, as Quilava said. Unova is pretty far away, making it unlikely that many Pokemon from there would somehow migrate to Kanto, but Pokemon for whom the region would provide good living environments, Kanto Pokemon with evolutions/pre-evolutions only introduced in later generations, and Johto Pokemon, living in Kanto would make sense.

As for the "unlockable" 'Dex entries, I really don't see the point. From a logical standpoint it just doesn't really make sense. Few kids would see a Pokemon they want and think "oh, I can't access any data on it yet, I guess I won't catch it." Consequently, programmers would not create a system where they would purposely withhold important information about magical monsters and leave kids in the dark. I really can't see a reason for this kind of mechanic in a story.

Your map is just difficult to comment on because you haven't provided any information on the new locations. It also opens up a few questions. How does this new segment of the region connect to the original parts? How does one get there? And why is that southeast town off the road unlike any other city or town?

Really, if you're writing a fic set in Kanto's future, I think it would be much more interesting to know how the region and the people therein have changed. Most of this stuff is just aesthetic and only changes so much. if you want the good stuff, you need to explore a little deeper. Black 2 and White 2 weren't only good because of the new areas and new available Pokemon; the games also looked at what a region looked like two years after the failure of a group that sought to make people re-think their relationship with Pokemon, and after their legendary dragons appeared and sided with opposing heroes. It's putting thought into things like social changes that will interest people and allow your creativity to shine through.

Anyhow, just a few things to think about. Hope this helps, and best of luck!
    ~Psychic
    I posted it because I wanted to know if it was a good reference, and I got rid of the "unlockable" stuff on my copy on my computer. Mods, feel free to lock the thread

Fair enough, but I also meant it wasn't something you needed to spend too much time on.

Closing on request.

~Psychic