Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Song of Ice and Fire/A Game of Thrones

Default A Song of Ice and Fire/A Game of Thrones

Anyone read the books/watch the show?

House Stark ftw

I'd hate the Lannisters if it weren't for Tyrion. xD

hmu for friendcodes n.n

I was LITERALLY just making a thread about this, about 5 minutes ago. Decided to wait until it was closer to season 3.

But yeah, I've read all 5 books and seen seasons 1 and 2 multiple times.

Houses Baratheon and Martell FTW!

I've watched the season 3 trailer so many times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=C1pbtBX9Kok
    FC: 1779-0800-2195
    My friend safari: Noibat, Gabite, Druddigon

Quote Originally Posted by ebevan91 View Post
    I was LITERALLY just making a thread about this, about 5 minutes ago. Decided to wait until it was closer to season 3.

But yeah, I've read all 5 books and seen seasons 1 and 2 multiple times.

Houses Baratheon and Martell FTW!

I've watched the season 3 trailer so many times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=C1pbtBX9Kok
    I'm really excited/anxious about this season.

Spoiler:
    Last edited by Nikkichu; 12th March 2013 at 3:00 AM. Reason: spoiler tag y u no work

hmu for friendcodes n.n

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkichu View Post
    I'm really excited/anxious about this season.

not sure how I'll handle the Red Wedding >.<
    For some reason your spoiler tags didn't work

[spoiler]test[/spoiler]

WTF? I swear I've used the spoiler tag before on this site and it's not working.

Ok, you have to click the "Spo" button when you post. You have to click the "Go Advanced" button.

Spoiler:- Book 3 spoilers:
    Last edited by ebevan91; 12th March 2013 at 3:04 AM.

Reading the books now. Currently on A Clash of Kings.

Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the banner

For some reason your spoiler tags didn't work

[spoiler]test[/spoiler]

WTF? I swear I've used the spoiler tag before on this site and it's not working.
    yeah it turns out that you have to type "spoil" instead of "spoiler" o.O; must've changed

but uh, yeah. I fixed it xD

hmu for friendcodes n.n

I've watched both seasons of the show and am anxiously awaiting the third. I recently got my hands on the first book and I'm really enjoying it. I really like the Starks but I think Tyrion is definitely up there on my list of favorites. Dani is pretty cool too once she gets past her frightened little girl stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Pesky Persian View Post
    I've watched both seasons of the show and am anxiously awaiting the third. I recently got my hands on the first book and I'm really enjoying it. I really like the Starks but I think Tyrion is definitely up there on my list of favorites. Dani is pretty cool too once she gets past her frightened little girl stage.
    I like the 1st book a lot since there are some flashbacks, (Tower of Joy for instance), which is something the show probably won't do as it would require casting some folks just for a few minutes of screen-time.
    Last edited by ebevan91; 12th March 2013 at 3:10 AM.

House Stark is awesome, though there are many characters that I wanted to slap for being too high and mighty for their own good (in the first book at least, haven't seen enough of them in the second yet, don't spoil anything for me!).

Quote Originally Posted by General Nonsense View Post
    House Stark is awesome, though there are many characters that I wanted to slap for being too high and mighty for their own good (in the first book at least, haven't seen enough of them in the second yet, don't spoil anything for me!).
    Like Sansa? xD

I felt that way about her in the first book, but after reading the following books I definitely felt some compassion for her.
    I always wanted to slap Catelyn though. :s

hmu for friendcodes n.n

Like Sansa? xD

I felt that way about her in the first book, but after reading the following books I definitely felt some compassion for her.
    I always wanted to slap Catelyn though. :s
    I was thinking of Jon, but her to. I now have a ton of sympathy for her. Though I will never lose the need to slap Joffrey. In the face. With a chair.

I've read all the books up to A storm of Swords, man is this series brutal. It takes and gives like no tomorrow, and I can't wait to see what a Feast for Crows throws at you next, despite people saying its more like an act 1 of 2 for a Dance of Dragons. Is the show very different from the books, or moderately?
    BLAH

Quote Originally Posted by General Nonsense View Post
    I was thinking of Jon, but her to. I now have a ton of sympathy for her. Though I will never lose the need to slap Joffrey. In the face. With a chair.
    that iron throne would be just the chair to slap him with. xD

hmu for friendcodes n.n

that iron throne would be just the chair to slap him with. xD
    Either that or the most splintery chair I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchman_93 View Post
    I've read all the books up to A storm of Swords, man is this series brutal. It takes and gives like no tomorrow, and I can't wait to see what a Feast for Crows throws at you next, despite people saying its more like an act 1 of 2 for a Dance of Dragons. Is the show very different from the books, or moderately?
    I can't say with 100% certainty since I'm still reading the first book, but so far it seems the show is pretty close to the source material.

And I really didn't like Sansa starting out but in the second season of the show, you really get a peek at how clever she can be. Everyone thinks she's this dainty little girl and she knows exactly what to say to people to keep them underestimating her. It's really quite brilliant. And while I don't like some of the things she does, I still like Cat for being a strong woman. I like the balance Martin has with his characters. They all definitely have their faults and do things that will annoy you, but that's exactly what makes them so well-rounded.

I can't say with 100% certainty since I'm still reading the first book, but so far it seems the show is pretty close to the source material.

And I really didn't like Sansa starting out but in the second season of the show, you really get a peek at how clever she can be. Everyone thinks she's this dainty little girl and she knows exactly what to say to people to keep them underestimating her. It's really quite brilliant. And while I don't like some of the things she does, I still like Cat for being a strong woman. I like the balance Martin has with his characters. They all definitely have their faults and do things that will annoy you, but that's exactly what makes them so well-rounded.
    Yeah, because Martin is working so close to the show, they're staying really close because it's his vision and he has a lot of creative control. However, there's some parts of the show (most notably the Reeds for me) that have been changed from the book, but on the same token certain things have been expanded upon because they don't need to dwell specifically on the POV characters. For example, Renly and Loras's relationship, which is alluded to in the books but never expressly addressed.

To the Sansa point: she's actually my least favorite Stark. I don't particularly like her or how she acts, though I'm super interested in the events that happen around her later in the (book) series. Not her, per say, but because she's the one we're seeing the story from.

To address your earlier posts about the

Spoiler:

SoS will be split into two seasons because Martin takes literally forever to write the books and producers were worried that by the time he put out Winds of Winter, the TV series would be almost entirely caught up, meaning a very long hiatus until Dream of Spring. And that's just no good. The spoilered thing I believe happens towards the end of season three, judging that episode 9's title is The Rains of Castamere. Kind of like the events we got in episode 9 of the first season, eh?

To get a little more discussion going, what do you lot (who have read the books) think of the theory that Jon is

Spoiler:

Now, upfront here, I don't particularly like the idea. Frankly, I'm not a fan of the whole lost savior prince thing in any fantasy story. And I know that this has been bickered about on ASOIF boards for years. But the evidence in DoD really seems to point at it. If it isn't clear that the aforementioned two people had a loving relationship in their time together, you're reading the books wrong (okay, maybe that's too strong, but you're missing a big point). We only thought of it as a rape in the first few books because history is told from the perspective of the victor, and that's how Robert perceived it. It also seems apparent that Ned was fully aware of the truth, as it's mentioned textually that the parentage of Jon had to be kept a secret not just from the king and his mentor, but his two closest friends (who just happened to be the same as the two aforementioned people). If his mother was just a fishwife, a milkmaid or another minor noblewoman, would such a heavy secret need to be kept, especially when one considers Ned's impeccable sense of honor?

And if that sets off too much bad discussion and we want to stay away from it, I'll put forward another topic (again DoD spoilers...)

Spoiler:
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path

Sansa is my least favorite Stark as well, but I also don't think she deserves the amount of hate she gets from a lot of the readers of the series. I can't really talk about any of your other points as I'm not there yet. Thanks for using spoiler tags, by the way. =)

I love A Song of Ice and Fire. Tyrion is easily my favourite character, if only for his wit (I just can't @ his arguments with Cersei), but Arya and Jon are pretty cool too, I always look forward to their chapters. Asha's whole thing with Theon was hilarious too, but I haven't really seen enough of her yet to judge.

And I really didn't like Sansa starting out but in the second season of the show, you really get a peek at how clever she can be. Everyone thinks she's this dainty little girl and she knows exactly what to say to people to keep them underestimating her. It's really quite brilliant.
    Have to agree here. I hated Sansa when I started reading, she was such a prissy little ***** (and she treated Arya horribly), but I'm halfway through A Clash of Kings now and I love the way she's learned to manipulate people into all but ignoring her.

e: I would say that Sansa is my least favourite Stark too, but not because I really dislike her. She's just not as interesting as the others.

Quote Originally Posted by General Nonsense
    I was thinking of Jon
    Jon? He's never struck me as high and mighty, he was always more of the broody type. He was ambitious about taking the black, but I wouldn't really call him out for being pretentious.
    Last edited by Valoo.; 12th March 2013 at 8:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valoo. View Post
    IJon? He's never struck me as high and mighty, he was always more of the broody type. He was ambitious about taking the black, but I wouldn't really call him out for being pretentious.
    He cleaned up his act quickly, but he seemed to think he was better than the rest of the recruits for the Night's Watch at the start. Pretentious isn't really the word I'm looking for. Proud maybe? Either way, his pride gets in the way of his sense often.

Well in a way he was a lot better than any of the other recruits, seeing as most of them are criminals who didn't even know how to use a sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Sogeking View Post
    Well in a way he was a lot better than any of the other recruits, seeing as most of them are criminals who didn't even know how to use a sword.
    While many of them were, as Jon was told, many of them never could afford a sword. And he should not look down upon them for being "commoners" since none of that matters on the Wall.

I'm hoping we get some history lessons from the Reeds in season 3. I want to hear about Robert's Rebellion, the Tower of Joy (especially this since their father is the only remaining survivor), Tourney at Harrenhal, and the Knight of the Laughing Tree.

I'm hoping we get some history lessons from the Reeds in season 3. I want to hear about Robert's Rebellion, the Tower of Joy (especially this since their father is the only remaining survivor), Tourney at Harrenhal, and the Knight of the Laughing Tree.
    I hope we SEE the Reeds in Season 3. They were supposed to show up in Winterfell by the end of Clash of Kings.
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path

I had heard the books and show was really good. I found the first season on sale, so I decided to give it a try. To be honest, I didn't really like it. Almost all the characters are just awful human beings lol. And I couldn't believe they killed off some of the characters. But I was invested and wanted to see what happened to my two favorite characters (Daenerys Targaryen and Jon Snow). I went ahead and bought the second season... and I really liked it. It was so good. I watched the whole season in one day! Tyrion Lannister also became one of my favorite characters in season 2. I can't wait to see season 3. I am thinking about reading the books, but I honestly don't know if I can find the time. I just hope my favorite characters don't get killed lol.
    Pokémon Y Friend Code: 4441-9508-9799
    In-game name: Daniel

I have an Electric Safari: Dedenne, Helioptile, and Luxio.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueLapras View Post
    I had heard the books and show was really good. I found the first season on sale, so I decided to give it a try. To be honest, I didn't really like it. Almost all the characters are just awful human beings lol. And I couldn't believe they killed off some of the characters. But I was invested and wanted to see what happened to my two favorite characters (Daenerys Targaryen and Jon Snow). I went ahead and bought the second season... and I really liked it. It was so good. I watched the whole season in one day! Tyrion Lannister also became one of my favorite characters in season 2. I can't wait to see season 3. I am thinking about reading the books, but I honestly don't know if I can find the time. I just hope my favorite characters don't get killed lol.
    You liked Dany and Jon's stories the best in season 2?

They completely butchered Jon's story from the book, and made Dany's a little more exciting.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast