Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A Song of Ice and Fire/A Game of Thrones

Quote Originally Posted by ebevan91 View Post
    You liked Dany and Jon's stories the best in season 2?

They completely butchered Jon's story from the book, and made Dany's a little more exciting.
    Yes. Both of those characters have been my favorites in both seasons. I really don't know how they are portrayed in the books, but I really like them in the tv series. Jon is my favorite from the Stark family, although, I do like Bran, Robb, Lady Stark, and Arya too. I like Jon Snow because he is one of the very few characters that hasn't done immoral/evil things. Arya's story was interesting in season 2. I kinda hope there is more about the Brotherhood in the upcoming seasons.
    Last edited by RogueLapras; 12th March 2013 at 11:05 PM.
    Pokémon Y Friend Code: 4441-9508-9799
    In-game name: Daniel

I have an Electric Safari: Dedenne, Helioptile, and Luxio.

Quote Originally Posted by General Nonsense View Post
    While many of them were, as Jon was told, many of them never could afford a sword. And he should not look down upon them for being "commoners" since none of that matters on the Wall.
    You have to look at it from Jon's perspective too. He spent his whole life at Winterfell being constantly looked down upon by Cat and always reminded that he wasn't a true Stark. His whole life up until he joined the Night's Watch was about him trying to prove himself. Of course he was prideful when he was a better fighter fighter than the others. He didn't realize how priveleged he was until he was told.

And as far as characters doing evil/immoral things... The cultures in the books are different from our culture. And no one is perfect. Everyone does something wrong at some point. That's actually something I like about Martin's characters. They aren't perfect people and they certainly make bad choices at times. That doesn't make them bad characters, it makes them realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pesky Persian View Post
    And as far as characters doing evil/immoral things... The cultures in the books are different from our culture. And no one is perfect. Everyone does something wrong at some point. That's actually something I like about Martin's characters. They aren't perfect people and they certainly make bad choices at times. That doesn't make them bad characters, it makes them realistic.
    I understand the characters being written from a different culture. And I'm not saying I'm perfect in any way, but some of the things in the tv series was just awful. Like Joffrey killing all those babies and the incest. And I know things like that do happen, but I'm just saying there was a lot of "bad choices" in the first season. The second season was no where near as bad as the first. Or maybe I just didn't know what to expect when I watched the first season because I hadn't read the books. And when I watched the second season I already knew how the characters were going to act so it wasn't a suprise.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueLapras View Post
    Yes. Both of those characters have been my favorites in both seasons. I really don't know how they are portrayed in the books, but I really like them in the tv series. Jon is my favorite from the Stark family, although, I do like Bran, Robb, Lady Stark, and Arya too. I like Jon Snow because he is one of the very few characters that hasn't done immoral/evil things. Arya's story was interesting in season 2. I kinda hope there is more about the Brotherhood in the upcoming seasons.
    If you don't mind reading some differences between book 2 and season 2:

Spoiler:- spoiler:
    Last edited by ebevan91; 12th March 2013 at 11:27 PM.
    FC: 1779-0800-2195
    My friend safari: Noibat, Gabite, Druddigon

If you don't mind reading some differences between book 2 and season 2:

Wow the tv series and books are pretty different huh? Well I think that's how it is most of the time. I know The Vampire Diaries tv series and books are different.

I really liked Dany's story. I was kinda glad when she got even with those 3 characters at the end of season 2. Having her dragons stolen was a good twist to the story imo.

Thanks for posting some of the differences. It's interesting.

I'm hoping we get some history lessons from the Reeds in season 3. I want to hear about Robert's Rebellion, the Tower of Joy (especially this since their father is the only remaining survivor), Tourney at Harrenhal, and the Knight of the Laughing Tree.
    There's going to be a companion book called A World of Ice and Fire that'll provide a lot of that history. It's not coming out until November though. :s

hmu for friendcodes n.n

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkichu View Post
    There's going to be a companion book called A World of Ice and Fire that'll provide a lot of that history. It's not coming out until November though. :s
    Yeah I've been waiting on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Pesky Persian View Post
    You have to look at it from Jon's perspective too. He spent his whole life at Winterfell being constantly looked down upon by Cat and always reminded that he wasn't a true Stark. His whole life up until he joined the Night's Watch was about him trying to prove himself. Of course he was prideful when he was a better fighter fighter than the others. He didn't realize how priveleged he was until he was told.
    I never really thought of it that way. I suppose I get annoyed by the characters too easily.

Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the banner

I can't wait for the non-readers to meet:

I can't wait for the non-readers to meet:

Oh no. I really don't like Joffrey, so I bet ^^ will be my least favorite character. Joffrey is just a horrible person and king. I can't believe someone hasn't tried to assassinate him yet.

Oh no. I really don't like Joffrey, so I bet ^^ will be my least favorite character. Joffrey is just a horrible person and king. I can't believe someone hasn't tried to assassinate him yet.
    *coughs* yet being the operative word
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path

Quote Originally Posted by Feralninja View Post
    *coughs* yet being the operative word
    He'd better. (haven't gotten there yet soooo) I wish him gone as soon as possible.

Take your best shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger Angel View Post
    Take your best shot.

That is the greatest thing I've ever seen.

Yes TEAM STARK FTW. And don't worry Joffrey will get whats coming to him soon enough.

Also btw Jon, Eddard and Rob are atheist best. At least Eddard was the best...
    All credit for this banner goes to Red's Mount Silver Art Shop at Bulbagarden

Quote Originally Posted by ((JAWS)) View Post
    Yes TEAM STARK FTW. And don't worry Joffrey will get whats coming to him soon enough.

Also btw Jon, Eddard and Rob are atheist best. At least Eddard was the best...
    The Starks all worship the old gods, they aren't Atheists. The only one who doesn't is Catelyn, who worships the seven new gods, and that's because she's only a Stark by marriage.

It's going to be a long 2 weeks (plus a couple of days), folks.

New promo:

Looks like a preview for another trailer. Can't wait.

So then, after reading more, I think I've decided that the people of the Night's Watch are the only ones who aren't terrible people. The Night's Watch, Arya, and Sansa. Though with that being said, I am only halfway through book 2.

A bunch of the people in the Night's Watch are thieves, rapers, murderers, etc.

But when they join, their lives start over. So yeah you're right, in a way.

Why do some people seem to have a problem with characters not being "good people"? The series is realistic, it's not always going to be divided into saintly good guys and evil villains. And anyway, doing bad things isn't really a reason to dislike a character. Villains can be excellent characters too. I actually enjoy the fact that we get views from the various sides of the war, it means that the line between good and evil is blurred, and we get to see how events transpired from both sides.

And not everybody is a terrible person; I can see cases being made for most of the Lannisters, but the majority of the other characters do what they do because they think it's the right thing, or are driven by emotion. Take Daenerys. Yeah, she's pretty much a villain, but she strongly believes that the throne is rightfully her's, and has the whole "my entire family was murdered" thing. I wouldn't call her a horrible person for what she does, even if she has made some bad mistakes.

I actually love this about Sansa's character. She grew up learning about brave and heroic knights, but faced the gritty reality that not everybody is going to be totally moral, and in the end, almost everything people do is for self-gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Valoo. View Post
    Why do some people seem to have a problem with characters not being "good people"? The series is realistic, it's not always going to be divided into saintly good guys and evil villains. And anyway, doing bad things isn't really a reason to dislike a character. Villains can be excellent characters too. I actually enjoy the fact that we get views from the various sides of the war, it means that the line between good and evil is blurred, and we get to see how events transpired from both sides.
    I'm not really saying that anyone is saintly or evil. There is a difference between a well written and complex character and whether I like them or not.

Keep in mind that I just read the section where:

And it made me feel sad.
    Last edited by General Nonsense; 17th March 2013 at 12:20 AM.

Oh. The way you worded it made it sound like you disliked characters for doing immoral deeds.

Scenes like that are quite disturbing, but that's just the sort if series it is, I guess. IIRC, Martin mentioned that he wanted to capture the savagery of those times, and make it less about knights and princesses.

Yet another new trailer, which is just a preview for an even longer version appearing tomorrow (most likely):

I love both the book and the television series!

I'm backing Daenerys and I hope that she eventually wins the throne back. Although I also like Arya, Jon and Tyrion, there's so many good characters!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast