Thread: Hurricane Mewtwo?

Default Hurricane Mewtwo?

Well, I saw the post today on the main Serebii site about the Mewtwo giveaway with the unique move of Hurricane.

Would this make an impact in Ubers? Flying is a pretty good neutral type to be throwing about, especially with that sweet 30% confusion rate and rain everywhere. Off the top of my head, only Dialga would stop it cold.

Then again, Mewtwo already has access to thunder to abuse the rain...which could in turn could be used in conjuction with Hurricane and result in a make shift parafusion set?

Anyways, Thoughts?
    Beautifly are my Bishie!
    hands off or my Beautifly's shall take you away and have their way with you!

If you ask me hurricane gives it no new coverage really, and Fire blast/ ice beam are better coverage options hitting Ferrothorn and shaymin harder respectively. Plus in the event you run into a sun team your not going to have fun running thunder andhurricane unless your running rain and win the weather war.

Edit: picked shaymin because it was the most common thing an ice move would hit harder than a fire move would. Mewtwo has good enough coverage already IMO

^You ever have that moment you realize you forgot to give credit? Sorry Irra!!^

Mewtwo gets Hurricane, what a waste :[
    Pretty much like Dragonicwari said, Ice beam/Fire Blast is better for coverage, since there's nothing much in Uber really fear a non-STAB Hurricane other than Skymin & Grass Arceus.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakBae View Post
    Mewtwo gets Hurricane, what a waste :[
    Pretty much like Dragonicwari said, Ice beam/Fire Blast is better for coverage, since there's nothing much in Uber really fear a non-STAB Hurricane other than Skymin & Grass Arceus.
    exactly so hurricane on mewtwo wont make much difference and i doubt most competitive players will be willing to give up a moveslot when there are other moves that have greater coverage.

Cred to Astral Shadow for banner
    ASB TL 1, 17 TP
    Play MLG Smash Bros? Contact me @Tythaeus to schedule a match. :]

Yeah, Mewtwo has no use for Hurricane whatsoever. Fighting types are already hit hard by STAB Psystrike (Scrafty, Medicham, and Gallade are virtually non-existent in Ubers, so don't be that guy right now). Grass and Bug types are already slammed by Fire Blast. In fact, the most common Grass and Bug types are Genesect, Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Shaymin-S, each of which is hit much harder by either Fire Blast or Ice Beam than by Hurricane. What's more, they're all weather-independent. So yeah, Hurricane is pretty much a complete waste on Mewtwo.

Now, what Game Freak should have done was release Hurricane on Zapdos. Come on, Moltres and Articuno got it, and Hurricane + Thunder Zapdos would have been so cool...

I've seen that previous events have been released with special moves but at level 100 such as Arceus if my memory serves correct. I don't play Ubers and have no idea how this would work but to simulators allow you to still put EV's onto these Pokemon if you have them knowing their special moves, as in this case of Hurricane Mewtwo?

GodDamnZilla

More importantly, Mewtwo will now have access to Unnerve, which is actually good.

Quote Originally Posted by John Wallrein View Post
    I've seen that previous events have been released with special moves but at level 100 such as Arceus if my memory serves correct. I don't play Ubers and have no idea how this would work but to simulators allow you to still put EV's onto these Pokemon if you have them knowing their special moves, as in this case of Hurricane Mewtwo?
    I'm not really sure what you're trying to ask, but you can have it EV trained while knowing special moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Agonist View Post
    More importantly, Mewtwo will now have access to Unnerve, which is actually good.
    Um, what uber pokemon use berries, exactly? Because I can't think of any. At least pressure can help remove the PP of moves like Spacial Rend....pretty bad considering that Mewtwo is offensive, but unnerve seems like an even worse option to me.

ChopleTTar, Chople Darkrai, Custap Forretress, Custap Wobbufett (which can revenge Mewtwo), and so on.

ChopleTTar, Chople Darkrai, Custap Forretress, Custap Wobbufett (which can revenge Mewtwo), and so on.
    ....I guess I need to play more ubers. I'm used to tiers were berries are mostly gimmicks....

How common are those guys?

I'm not really sure what you're trying to ask, but you can have it EV trained while knowing special moves.
    I mean that in-game, a level 100 Pokemon with 0 EV's has no way of gaining the stat boosts from EV's as it would need to level up in order to do that. Therefore I was asking if simulators accounted for that and would not allow you to give it any EV's while knowing Hurricane.

GodDamnZilla

Quote Originally Posted by John Wallrein View Post
    I mean that in-game, a level 100 Pokemon with 0 EV's has no way of gaining the stat boosts from EV's as it would need to level up in order to do that. Therefore I was asking if simulators accounted for that and would not allow you to give it any EV's while knowing Hurricane.
    As of Generation 5 (or Generation 3 if you're Deoxys) EVs are calculated at the end of battle, and the Pokemon no longer needs to level up to benefit from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    ....I guess I need to play more ubers. I'm used to tiers were berries are mostly gimmicks....

Probably common enough that it's more beneficial to run Unnerve over Pressure.

As of Generation 5 (or Generation 3 if you're Deoxys) EVs are calculated at the end of battle, and the Pokemon no longer needs to level up to benefit from them.
    This is true. I've seen it happen with my own eyes.
    Well, I hardly ever play ubers, so I guess I'll take your word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Hardly. Factoring in usage and moveset stats, Custap Wobbufett has about .6% usage, Chople Tyranitar has about .3% usage, and Chople Darkrai is pretty much nonexistant. Custap Forretress has respectable usage, about 1.5%, as do Lum Tyranitar (1.8%) and Arceus (4.2%). However, offensive Mewtwo isn't statusing those two with anything anyway, so it'd mainly just be useful for making sure Custap Forretress doesn't get up an extra layer of Spikes or something. You might appreciate it against a random Custap Wobbufett revenge kill, but even then a smart Mewtwo player will use the Custap turn to get an extra Calm Mind in the face of an obvious Destiny Bond. Not that Pressure is a great ability for an offensive Pokemon anyway, but I just feel that knocking the PP of something like Kyorge's Hydro Pump, Arceus's Extremespeed, or Ho-Oh's Sacred Fire down an extra tick mark or two is a bit less situational than whatever Unnerve would offer.

Ohh I see thank you for that. Haven't played Wifi since 4th gen xD

GodDamnZilla

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Hardly. Factoring in usage and moveset stats, Custap Wobbufett has about .6% usage, Chople Tyranitar has about .3% usage, and Chople Darkrai is pretty much nonexistant. Custap Forretress has respectable usage, about 1.5%, as do Lum Tyranitar (1.8%) and Arceus (4.2%). However, offensive Mewtwo isn't statusing those two with anything anyway, so it'd mainly just be useful for making sure Custap Forretress doesn't get up an extra layer of Spikes or something. You might appreciate it against a random Custap Wobbufett revenge kill, but even then a smart Mewtwo player will use the Custap turn to get an extra Calm Mind in the face of an obvious Destiny Bond. Not that Pressure is a great ability for an offensive Pokemon anyway, but I just feel that knocking the PP of something like Kyorge's Hydro Pump, Arceus's Extremespeed, or Ho-Oh's Sacred Fire down an extra tick mark or two is a bit less situational than whatever Unnerve would offer.
    I'd rather not be boned by a resist berry or Custap whatever, but that's just me.

Wouldn't that make Mewtwo the fastest Hurricane user...? I do know it has enough coverage in Psystrke, Aura Sphere, Ice Beam/Fire Blast, Recover, and possibly Calm Mind to boost. I really don't see why they added Hurricane to Mewtwo when you already have someone called Tornadus-T. I know Mewtwo has access to Thunder, but why would people use it on a Rain team? That's pretty much pointless, UNLESS it's running Psystrike / Aura Sphere / Thunder / Recover/Ice Beam in Rain, but yeah, I clearly don't see Mewtwo being used in Uber Rain.

Hurricane wouldn't be too necessary for Mewtwo, I think. Mewtwo is frail by Uber standards(yeah, so is Tornadus-T, but he makes up for that with Regenerator and STAB on said Hurricane) and already has enough coverage in Psystrike, Fire Blast, Aura Sphere, Thunder and Ice Beam, plus Calm Mind. Hurricane would be useful against things like Terrakion, Zekrom and other things with high physical attack, thanks to its 30% chance of confusion. However, outside of rain, Hurricane = Focus Miss. That said, Hurricane Mewtwo can work in a rain team, but it would need to pack Ice Beam instead of Aura Sphere so it can hurt Groudon.