Thread: Interactive Story?

Default Interactive Story?

Hey guys! Dormant here. I'm just wondering if it's possible to make an interactive story. You know like a story with choices. Like, at the end of one chapter there would be two links that leads to two different chapter's.

For example:

I ran towards the forest, and I found myself at an intersection. I wonder where I should go. Left? or Right?

example@: Left

example@: Right

Something like that. Would it be a fan fiction. Or a game? I wonder if this question have been ask before. I hope I get an answer to all of my questions

So Dormant signing off..

One Author, One Creator and Two boys. Set in Johto. Where everything is not what it seems. For they must flee from the group called the Grammar Police. And saved the World from an unknown threat.

Credits to ~BrightStarVictory~ of Subspace Generate Graphics!

So Bad It's Good and, So Bad It's Good 2: War of the Turkey

Oneshot(s)! It's-IT'S. It's.....Something. Caution: May shatter your sanity. Read, if you dare.....

My Author's Profile

Personally? I would consider it a fanfiction since it is following a semi-set narrative and you aren't really competing against anyone or anything. I think the bigesst question is how exactly do you pull if off? Since all fan fictions have to be enclosed in one single thread, it may be difficult to properly pull that of...although you could probably just scramble the posts and then link them (similar to a chapter list). At least those are my thoughts.
    Click the Banner below to read my newest fan-fic, Titans of Kanto.

All credit for the banner goes to the glorious Brutaka!

It's certainly possible, and it definitely counts as a story - after all, this is just a "choose your own adventure" fic, and choose your own adventure novels are still fiction.

Anyhow, there's no reason you couldn't do it, and contain it all to one thread. The only issue is just that is would take a lot of work - much more work than you'd do writing an ordinary story. After all, if you give the option of left versus right, then you need to give another two options for going left, then four more options from there, plus all the options for going right...it would just take a ridiculous amount of time and effort.

Really, if you write a choose your own adventure, you should have a good reason for doing so, as in if you're telling a story this way, it should contribute to the story somehow. Not every story should be a CYOA, and if you do make it a CYOA, there should be a reason beyond "well, I kind of just felt like it." If you want to go for it, then do so, but be aware of how much work it entails - at a certain point, you might want justification beyond "I just felt like it."

For instance, the only CYOA I read was an Animorphs novel. But it wasn't just an ordinary Animorphs book - it was written in second person point of view one where you get chosen as the next Animorph superhero and join the team, and you have to make life-or-death decisions to help the other Animorphs. Hell, if you made the wrong decision in one scenario, the Animorphs forced you to stay a bug for the rest of your life. The book was literally challenging you to see if you had the guts and the smarts to be an Animorph.

I'm not saying to use that exact idea, but I think it's a decent enough example of a situation where making the story a CYOA makes sense and adds to the story. Anyway, just an idea. :> Best of luck with whatever you decide.

~Psychic

Thanks! I'm planning on making a funny Choos your Adventure fic in the future! But I have to work on my other fic first. Thanks again!

One Author, One Creator and Two boys. Set in Johto. Where everything is not what it seems. For they must flee from the group called the Grammar Police. And saved the World from an unknown threat.

Credits to ~BrightStarVictory~ of Subspace Generate Graphics!

So Bad It's Good and, So Bad It's Good 2: War of the Turkey

Oneshot(s)! It's-IT'S. It's.....Something. Caution: May shatter your sanity. Read, if you dare.....

My Author's Profile

You could always put the options in spoiler tags. If someone chooses the right option, the story continues, if they choose the wrong option, it ends.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

If you do it, be sure not to make it too plot-oriented. Otherwise you'll be required to write out plot scenarios for every action typed in.

You may want to read Homestuck to see a very well-done example of the choose-your-own-adventure series. It actually stopped taking suggestions because it kept taking the plot in wrong directions, but for the first many pages, it used reader commands.

Unfortunately, it has a lot of swearing, which is why I recommend this add-on as a means to block the vulgarity.

But it is very well done.

I thought of having one of these, but given that I'm relatively new, I decided against it. I like having the reader pick the fate of the story, whether they like the result or not. It's mainly that you have to make all these different paths of the story, and that's monstrously time-consuming, taking a lot of patience and dedication to make. The best way to do this would be a "choose your own adventure" style, but It could be done with a different way if you want to.
    Nothing interesting here. Carry on.
    Author's Profile