Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did I just buy fake games?! :(

Question Did I just buy fake games?! :(

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pokemon-Ga...item3a7f534870

I believe that I have purchased fake pokemon games. The ratings on the seller check out good even though the location was a red flag, but I didn't really pay attention to the picture until I was hit by sudden paranoia. What if they aren't real?! The labels look good, but I can't tell if they are holographic as they should be. Another thing that bothers me is the apparent internal batteries of FireRed and LeafGreen (a YouTube video told me that they weren't supposed to have these since they didn't keep track of time). The third thing about the picture that struck me was the suspicious "semi-transparency" of the FireRed and LeafGreen cartridges. I have to wait for them to ship to me before I can even tell whether the picture was just ripped and they are real, or if the picture was accurate and the games are possibly fake. I am really worried and wondered whether someone could confirm this or not. I have already paid for the games and they have just finished being sorted in the Hong Kong Post. Can anyone help me out here? 0.0 I'm so paranoid now...

If anything, the Fire Red and Leaf Green are fake. I don't recall them having transparent cases and since they're fake, the rest are too most likely. Why would you buy off of eBay anyway?

I bought them out of impulse. I wanted the whole gameboy advance set and this looked convenient. Am I screwed or what? Is there anything that I can do about this?

Contact the seller and cancel your order. If they shipped already, still contact them and set up a return.

Okay, I am working on it right now. I am very sad about this Where could I get the games for an inexpensive price?

Quote Originally Posted by 100percent View Post
    Okay, I am working on it right now. I am very sad about this Where could I get the games for an inexpensive price?
    It's pretty hard now. I'd suggest checking stores that sell used games. Like Mckay's if you know what it is.

I'm screwed guys. Ebay won't do anything until I have recieved the item. There goes my $38... That could've gone towards a real game.

Best course of action going forward is, in a word, "don't."

The secondary market at this point is too infested with counterfeit and pirated merchandise. The tiny chance you might find a legitimate product at a reasonable price is heavily, heavily outweighed by the reality that you probably won't.

Don't waste your money, time or effort.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    If anything, the Fire Red and Leaf Green are fake. I don't recall them having transparent cases and since they're fake, the rest are too most likely.
    The labels are also completely wrong on FR/LG/S. Not sure about Ruby (which looks basically legit) or Emerald (not sure at all). Three out of five is still way more than enough.

Why would you buy off of eBay anyway?
    Probably to actually get what they were after with the possibility of not having to pay out the ears for a game that new systems haven't been able to play for three damn years?
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue
    The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    Probably to actually get what they were after with the possibility of not having to pay out the ears for a game that new systems haven't been able to play for three damn years?
    And. How does that appear to have worked out?

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

At first, I thought the FireRed and the LeafGreen one looked pretty fake, but after making Google searches on what the cartridges actually looked like (it's been forever since I pulled out my copy of both games) they seem pretty legitimate.

This happens a lot with my cousin who lives in the Philippines. Hardly any of his Pokémon games are real since it's very difficult to come across a real one there. I went to vacation there once and all the video game stores I went to didn't sell any real Pokémon games.

3DS: Ralph - 2836 • 0189 • 795
    Pokémon Showdown: Witeldram
    Safari:
    Fighting - Sawk, Meditite, Riolu

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    And. How does that appear to have worked out?
    Like most gambles do on average -- with the gambler down a small amount.
    The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    The secondary market at this point is too infested with counterfeit and pirated merchandise. The tiny chance you might find a legitimate product at a reasonable price is heavily, heavily outweighed by the reality that you probably won't.
    What? So long as you aren't an idiot who buys things on impulse, or you actually know how to look out for fakes, you likely won't get cheated. You can tell just from the picture that they're fake, actually.

Also, never buy video games from Hong Kong, unless you're specifically looking for fakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    What? So long as you aren't an idiot who buys things on impulse, or you actually know how to look out for fakes, you likely won't get cheated. You can tell just from the picture that they're fake, actually.

Also, never buy video games from Hong Kong, unless you're specifically looking for fakes.
    Indeed. BCVM22 seems to enjoy exaggerating considerably on the topic of eBay. I've bought several legitimate used games from sellers there. It's really not that difficult to spot fakes such as these.

*squints*
    That picture...... I think I remember just seeing it on Craigslist within the past couple days, actually. And yeah I looked at it because... 5 pokemon games, lol. But I did catch onto the translucent FR/LG cartridges, because mine were not. I did a google image search, and a lot of those were translucent, actually. Lemme see if I can find that picture and see if it's the same..

Ah, okay, it's different.
    White 2 FC: 2666-9983-9495
    DeviantArt | Tumblr | My crafting forum
    [IMG]http://i46.*******.com/14e289t.png[/IMG]
    I crochet pokemon!! I can be commissioned if you would like for me to make you a custom one. I also have some pre-mades for sale. If interested, please send me a note on DeviantArt telling me what you want.

I have a very very casual breeding shop: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Well, the seller wanted me to work with him to return them so that I may recieve a refund, but I probably won't recieve the item for another week or week and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    Not sure about Ruby (which looks basically legit)
    Both Ruby and Sapphire are fake, since the picture clearly shows that the Cartridge say "licensed by Nintendo" when it would never say that on any game published by Nintendo. The word "licensed" is also misspelt both would be a clear factor in stating that the game is fake.

Well, the seller wanted me to work with him to return them so that I may recieve a refund, but I probably won't recieve the item for another week or week and a half.
    Well in future when buying a GBA game do some proper research before rushing into buying them blindly.

"Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

It looks fake, but it still might be perfectly playable. If it isn't you can probably submit some type of challenge and eBay will hold their money until it is resolved. I bought FireRed from eBay last year, just finding the cheapest one I could and mine seems real, but I don't care if it is or not because it's playable.
    My Y Team:

The only real issue with fake GBA Pokemon games is that they're often cheaply made, using Batteries for saves rather than SRAM.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, batteries die in about 10 years, SRAM takes far longer.

I bought a blatantly fake Pokémon game, called Frigo's Return, last night, simply out of curiosity. I've also got a Chinese "Pokémon Gold" for NES. There's something I like about the odder fakes, usually hacks of unrelated games.

Fake real Pokemon games aren't so much fun. Their batteries tend to run down very quickly. That said, they are usually playable in the short term.
    E m i l i a
    platinum: 0989 8984 6979

The battery and lack of ability for transfer to 4th gen games is what bothers me the most. Otherwise, I don't care about the fact that they are fake since I don't plan on reselling them. I am yet to recieve them.

lack of ability for transfer to 4th gen games
    That's not really guaranteed to be the case. Some of the fakes made after the DS came out will be able to fool Diamond and Pearl. Not sure about Pt or HGSS, though.

That's not really guaranteed to be the case. Some of the fakes made after the DS came out will be able to fool Diamond and Pearl. Not sure about Pt or HGSS, though.
    It would be grand if they can transfer to 4th gen Sadly, I don't have any 4th gen games at the moment to test this out with. I may buy one in the interum while I wait for the GBA games to come in.

Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    Both Ruby and Sapphire are fake, since the picture clearly shows that the Cartridge say "licensed by Nintendo" when it would never say that on any game published by Nintendo. The word "licensed" is also misspelt both would be a clear factor in stating that the game is fake.
    "Clearly"? That's about five pixels tall. Also "licensed" is spelled correctly. But otherwise, yes.

Also, upon further inspection, the pattern is wrong on that label, too.

batteries die in about 10 years
    In my experience, it's less. At least for GSC, but that's another subject.
    The usual links

here is another thing to see if they are fake is to look for the Nintendo logo along the cartridge circuit board

^done by Katsu Koneko doesnt this sig look cute
    If you think Dawn is cute, copy and paste THIS into your sig.(started by shiningsloth13)if you think dawn is hot, copy and paste this into your sig(started by empoleon49)<not IF its IS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast