Thread: Fire in the Sky [An Ubers RMT]

Default Fire in the Sky [An Ubers RMT]

Hello everyone! It's me, justinjiaxinghu, and I'm back with another RMT! I've been playing Ubers for a long time now, and I've decided to post this fairly new team I have. I've never played with sun in any tier, and I decided it to try it out in Ubers as Groudon actually can do things in its tier, unlike Ninetales. I decided to revolve my team around Ho-oh, the ultimate sun abuser in Ubers.

TEAM BUILDING
        Spoiler:- Spoiler:

THE TEAM

Groudon @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drought
    EVs: 252 SDef / 240 HP / 16 Spd
    Careful Nature
    - Thunder Wave
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge

My weather setter, and a magnificent pokemon overall. The EVS are tailored so it can take several Specially based hits, as it's Defense is already big enough. The moveset is a little strange, I know. It's taken from the standard Smogon Paradancer set, but I replaced Swords Dance with Stealth Rock so I could free up a move slot for Deo-S, and besides, Groudon's attack is already really good. Stealth Rock also limits other Ho-oh's from switching in to often, and even if they do, the turkey wont like a Stone Edge to the face. Thunder Wave is for crippling and slowing down opposing Pokemon so that my slower pokemon can move first, which is always good. Earthquake is a insanely strong STAB, and forms the EdgeQuake coverage with Stone Edge. Groudon is mainly for support, and isn't meant to sweep.

Deoxys-Speed @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 Spd / 126 SpAtk / 126 Def
    Jolly Nature
    - Magic Coat
    - Taunt
    - Spikes
    - Hidden Power Fire

Deoxys-S is a very simple and straightforward Pokemon. It abuses it's base 180 Speed with it's role as a suicide lead. It usually can get up 2 layers of Spikes, possible 3, and rocks are handled by Groudon. Magic Coat is used to bounce back other hazards from the likes of Ferrothorn, Forretress, opposing Groudon, etc. Taunt can be used to stop those annoying status moves and Hidden Power Fire is for taking out Ferro's and Forre's.

Dialga @ Choice Specs
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Modest Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Fire Blast
    - Thunder
    - Dragon Pulse

Arguably one of the best Specs users in the tier, Dialga does it's job quite nicely of supporting Ho-oh. With it's huge SpAtk, coupled with a Choice Spec, it dishes out s**tloads of damage with any attack. Thunder seems strange on a Sun Team, but when the opponent has an Kyogre, I can sometimes predict the switch in, and when I do, WHAM, that big whale takes a huge Thunder right in the face. Dialga is also my main counter to Extreme Killer Arceus...check out these sexy calcs

252+ SpA Choice Specs Dialga Draco Meteor vs. 88 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Normal: 357-421 (88.58 - 104.46%) -- 31.25% chance to OHKO
    Fire Blast: 75.93 - 89.57% (in Sun)
    Thunder: 50.62 - 59.8%
    Dragon Pulse: 56.82 - 67.24%

So basically, Arceus is comfortably 2HKOed by any of my Dialga's moves. Suck that, God-of-all-Pokemon.

Mewtwo @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Modest Nature
    - Grass Knot
    - Psystrike
    - Fire Blast
    - Aura Sphere

Mewtwo serves two critical roles in my team: REVENGE KILLING AND SMASHING APART THOSE GODDAMN DARKRAIS. Psystrike is Mewtwo's most powerful move, crushing Pokemon that don't resist it. Fire Blast is for coverage, and Aura Sphere, as I said before, is for SMASHING APART THOSE GODDAMN DARKRAIS. Grass Knot, as stated by SASHA, provides a surefire answer to Kyogre who I loath as they take away my dear sun XD.

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 176 Atk / 248 Def / 84 Spd
    Mild Nature
    - Dragon Tail
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake

Giratina-O is a great Pokemon overall, really. It has a great STAB priority move, allowing me to kill Deoxys-A without any trouble. Dragon Tail is to abuse those hazards, and when boosted by Griseous Orb, actually does some decent damage. The new EV spread/moveset was recommended by Pokemaster Forever, and since I wasn't using HP Fire much anyway, Earthquake is now used over it. I also found out that the EVS give me much more bulk, allowing me to tank Bolt Strikes and strike back.

Ho-Oh @ Life Orb
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 Atk / 148 SDef / 108 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Roost
    - Sacred Fire
    - Substitute

And now, folks, the Pokemon you've all been waiting for! Ho-oh is the ultimate sun-abuser, killing everything in it's path, and even has access to ROOST AND REGENERATOR, allowing it to heal itself to crush more Pokemon. Ho-oh can also do different roles; it can be a late game sweeper (which it usually is) to clean up and such, but it can also act as a start-game sweeper, significantly wearing down opponents. Brave Bird is a crazy strong STAB, dealing with some major threats to the team.

252+ Atk Life Orb Ho-Oh Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kyogre: 305-360 (89.18 - 105.26%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
    252+ Atk Life Orb Ho-Oh Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Palkia: 281-331 (87.53 - 103.11%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

I dont even NEED to talk about Sacred Fire. It has a staggering 50% chance to burn, crippling physical attackers and Ho-oh's great SpDef already walls most special attackers.

So there you have it people!
    Rate, hate, steal, (preferably rate)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THREAT LIST

Screw this moron. If he gets a free switch in, I usually have to sack a Pokemon for Dark Void, then proceed to KO with Mewtwo. Even if I KO it, it's just taken out a member of my team, which is NEVER good

Not very hard to play around. Even if it gets rain up, its still checked and countered by Dialga, who can proceed to KO with Thunder/Draco Meteor. But still, the fat whale gets Rain up, which is kind of annoying.

This Pokemon is in the same boat as Darkrai. I HAVE to predict well against Arceus. Dialga can check him, but once he gets a SD up, and Dialga is gone, it's pretty much all over. I can also cripple him with a burn from Ho-oh, or phaze it away with Dragon Tail, but if the opponent is really smart, then he/she could probably nab a 6-0 if I'm not careful.

I cannot stop this guy from getting a SR or Spikes up unless I get a speed tie with Deo-S. Then again, I don't think anything can stop Deo-S from getting one layer of hazards lol.

This guy is also a thorn in my side. I have to predict well with Giratina-O/Dialga or else Palkia will just wreck my team. Spec variants are extremely hard to counter, as they can just spam Hydro Pumps and deal massive damage to my party.

The bulkiest pokemon of all of Ubers. Lugia. Even with it's great reputation, I dont really find it hard to play around. I can cripple it with T-Wave from Groudon, or a burn from Ho-oh. And since Lugia is usually paired with Kyogre, Dialga can spam Thunders provided rain is up. I can also Taunt it with Deo-S or set up SR early in the game.
    Last edited by justinjiaxinghu; 21st March 2013 at 2:23 PM.
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

Powerful Draco Meteor users can basically spam as you have no steel resists (Dialga is neutral). SD Rayquaza or DD variants can hurt if they decide to use ESpeed which is most likely the case with SD Varients. Things that can take an ESpeed cannot take an Outrage and so on as +2 Outrage can clean all the slower threats while ESpeed takes out Mewtwo and Deoxys if sash isn't intact. It can setup on locked Fire Blast from idk 'Two or Dialga, has screens from say Lugia or whatever the scenario may be and wreck havoc. Some CM Arceus can be problematic if the right Pokemon are gone like CM Ghostceus if Dialga is out, or whatever. Ones that carry BoltBeam combo can be problematic like Ice and the rarer Electric which is mostly used on Rain teams. It will most likely get to +1-2 with no stopping it as Deoxys will probably be gone already and you're left to phaze with Gira-O. +1-2 will hurt every member of this team bar perhaps Ho-Oh for Ice variants if sun is up as it can hope for Thunder miss and stall out.

Not very good at recommending things however but perhaps Steel Arceus in place of Dialga? It serves as a decent check to Extremekiller Arceus and can handle most common CM Arceus threats while handling Rayquaza as Rayquaza is too slow to use it's coverage options in V-Create/Overheat/EQ while taking its Outrages as ESpeeds like a champ.

CM or Defensive Steel Arceus probably.

Arceus-Steel @ Iron Plate
    Ability: Multitype
    EVs: 248 HP / 12 SpA / 252 Spe
    Nature: Timid ( +Spe , - Atk )
    - Calm Mind
    - Judgment
    - Recover
    - Roar / Will-o-Wisp / Thunder

The last moveslot choice is basically what you want this Arceus to do. Roar allows you to phaze other CMers to win CM wars, WoW allows you to check ESpeed Arceus and basically cripple it and Thunder is there for the likes of Kyogre.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrocious View Post
    Powerful Draco Meteor users can basically spam as you have no steel resists (Dialga is neutral). SD Rayquaza or DD variants can hurt if they decide to use ESpeed which is most likely the case with SD Varients. Things that can take an ESpeed cannot take an Outrage and so on as +2 Outrage can clean all the slower threats while ESpeed takes out Mewtwo and Deoxys if sash isn't intact. It can setup on locked Fire Blast from idk 'Two or Dialga, has screens from say Lugia or whatever the scenario may be and wreck havoc. Some CM Arceus can be problematic if the right Pokemon are gone like CM Ghostceus if Dialga is out, or whatever. Ones that carry BoltBeam combo can be problematic like Ice and the rarer Electric which is mostly used on Rain teams. It will most likely get to +1-2 with no stopping it as Deoxys will probably be gone already and you're left to phaze with Gira-O. +1-2 will hurt every member of this team bar perhaps Ho-Oh for Ice variants if sun is up as it can hope for Thunder miss and stall out.

Not very good at recommending things however but perhaps Steel Arceus in place of Dialga? It serves as a decent check to Extremekiller Arceus and can handle most common CM Arceus threats while handling Rayquaza as Rayquaza is too slow to use it's coverage options in V-Create/Overheat/EQ while taking its Outrages as ESpeeds like a champ.

CM or Defensive Steel Arceus probably.

Arceus-Steel @ Iron Plate
    Ability: Multitype
    EVs: 248 HP / 12 SpA / 252 Spe
    Nature: Timid ( +Spe , - Atk )
    - Calm Mind
    - Judgment
    - Recover
    - Roar / Will-o-Wisp / Thunder

The last moveslot choice is basically what you want this Arceus to do. Roar allows you to phaze other CMers to win CM wars, WoW allows you to check ESpeed Arceus and basically cripple it and Thunder is there for the likes of Kyogre.
    Hmmm...that's an interesting set. However, I'll have to replace Dialga, and that'll severely take out some firepower of my team, and I won't be able to deal more damage. I also ran some calcs for Scarfed Palkia (arguable the most common dragon used in Ubers) and my Groudon can take a hit and strike back with Earthquake or cripple it with T-Wave. Palkia also cant OHKO Dialga or Ho-oh, while the former can KO back with Dragon Pulse or Draco Meteor and the latter has a 81% chance to OHKO with Brave Bird. Mewtwo can revenge kill Rayquaza with Ice Beam, and pretty much deal with any other Pokemon. However, you are still right, as the flying Draco Meteors will still dent my Pokemon, so I'll give Steel Arceus a try.
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

Cool team. However, there is one necessary component of any excellent Übers team which your team currently lacks: A check to Arceus-Normal. This problem can be simply fixed by changing your Giratina-O moveset to the following:

Lucemon (Giratina-O) @ Griseous Orb
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Dragon Tail
    - Earthquake
    - Outrage
    - Shadow Sneak

This Giratina-O serves as a one-time check to Extreme Killer Arceus. With Stealth Rock and just one layer of Spikes down, Arceus-Normal takes 25% damage by switching in, and then takes an additional 25% damage as it gets pseudo-Hazed away by Dragon Tail. As Arceus-Normal comes in the next time, it loses another 25% of its health, leaving it at around 25% health, at which point it can no longer set up without getting KO'd by a Pokémon in your team.

Also, I recommend using the following EV spreads for Groudon and Ho-Oh:

Kokujō Tengen Myō'ō (Groudon) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 240 HP / 252 SDef / 16 Spd
    Careful Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock
    - Stone Edge
    - Thunder Wave

Zanka no Tachi (Ho-Oh) @ Life Orb
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Roost
    - Sacred Fire
    - Substitute

16 Speed is good Speed creep on Groudon, as it usually allows it to outrun and use Earthquake to KO support Dialga that have been weakened previously before they can set up Stealth Rock, something that is quite important for your team, and by giving Ho-Oh enough HP EVs to have 400+ HP, it can make its Substitutes unbreakable by Seismic Toss, which can be exceedingly useful as this way, Ho-Oh can turn Chansey into set-up bait. I hope that helped
    This is a battle. Of course it's gonna be unfair. That which is called 'battle' was a monster originally born of unfairness and intolerance. I can't stand that guy. I can beat that guy. I can't forgive that guy. We make enemies for all sorts of reasons, and from the moment you make an enemy, until one of you draws his last breath - you're in a battle.

Music

Quote Originally Posted by PokéMaster Forever View Post
    Cool team. However, there is one necessary component of any excellent Übers team which your team currently lacks: A check to Arceus-Normal. This problem can be simply fixed by changing your Giratina-O moveset to the following:

Lucemon (Giratina-O) @ Griseous Orb
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Dragon Tail
    - Earthquake
    - Outrage
    - Shadow Sneak

This Giratina-O serves as a one-time check to Extreme Killer Arceus. With Stealth Rock and just one layer of Spikes down, Arceus-Normal takes 25% damage by switching in, and then takes an additional 25% damage as it gets pseudo-Hazed away by Dragon Tail. As Arceus-Normal comes in the next time, it loses another 25% of its health, leaving it at around 25% health, at which point it can no longer set up without getting KO'd by a Pokémon in your team.

Also, I recommend using the following EV spreads for Groudon and Ho-Oh:

Kokujō Tengen Myō'ō (Groudon) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 240 HP / 252 SDef / 16 Spd
    Careful Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock
    - Stone Edge
    - Thunder Wave

Zanka no Tachi (Ho-Oh) @ Life Orb
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Roost
    - Sacred Fire
    - Substitute

16 Speed is good Speed creep on Groudon, as it usually allows it to outrun and use Earthquake to KO support Dialga that have been weakened previously before they can set up Stealth Rock, something that is quite important for your team, and by giving Ho-Oh enough HP EVs to have 400+ HP, it can make its Substitutes unbreakable by Seismic Toss, which can be exceedingly useful as this way, Ho-Oh can turn Chansey into set-up bait. I hope that helped
    This did help! I'll change the EVS/Moves for Groudon and Giratina, but I think I'll stick with my Ho-oh. It allows me to tank hits a lot more better, and I rarely meet Chanseys anyway.
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

awesome team bro
    i like ur speced Dialga...i rarely see it but it can be good as u said
    i adore mewtwo...i wanted to put it so much in my last team but didn't fit well...so gratz
    also There is no ARCEUS !! i'd like to do that myself lol
    i just got some advices for ya
    let's start by deoxy's :
    normally deoxys-S isn't that offencive so the idea of icebeam isn't even good for rayquaza...and can't do a thing to Zakrom really...which is usually scarfed....but on the other hand...deoxys-S takes some damage from gyros...so maybe the HP EVs would be better half on diffence and half on atk....this way u can stand gyros better while do some massive damage to forrys and ferros...with a little prediction u'll be able to set an sr while nothing is on ur ground with the help of giratina as a spin blocker
    so i suggest firepunch over ice beam...would make a big differance
    now Mewtwo....
    As u have a sun team...i surely have noticed the big ammount of fire moves in the team....this is why i suggest to take off fire blast and replace it whith shadow ball...while u change ice beam to grass knot...this gives u a better coverage especially against kyogres and groudons....since u r scarfed it wouldn't be so wise to fireblast...especially with the lack of some accuracy... = more hax meh
    finally...i like the flamecharge idea on Ho-oh..so maybe if u have a place for it ? Just sayin i'm not even sure yet
    but srsly this is a great RMT
    good job making it...and good luck in ladders
    I am Red. I conquered the Pokemon World more times that you have ever battled. I stand upon the top of the world from Mt. Silver. Indeed, I am the Living Legend as well as The Undefeated Battler. Millions have groveled under my Smash Pass. I am the Revolutionary Smashpasser! Now, bow down before your master! Do you have what it takes to have me as your Leader?
    (12:48:55) ±Porygon: Your rank in Wifi Ubers is 1/36151 [1789 points / 1695 battles]!
    WON THE 2011 POKEMON WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP.

Quote Originally Posted by SASHA the master View Post
    awesome team bro
    i like ur speced Dialga...i rarely see it but it can be good as u said
    i adore mewtwo...i wanted to put it so much in my last team but didn't fit well...so gratz
    also There is no ARCEUS !! i'd like to do that myself lol
    i just got some advices for ya
    let's start by deoxy's :
    normally deoxys-S isn't that offencive so the idea of icebeam isn't even good for rayquaza...and can't do a thing to Zakrom really...which is usually scarfed....but on the other hand...deoxys-S takes some damage from gyros...so maybe the HP EVs would be better half on diffence and half on atk....this way u can stand gyros better while do some massive damage to forrys and ferros...with a little prediction u'll be able to set an sr while nothing is on ur ground with the help of giratina as a spin blocker
    so i suggest firepunch over ice beam...would make a big differance
    now Mewtwo....
    As u have a sun team...i surely have noticed the big ammount of fire moves in the team....this is why i suggest to take off fire blast and replace it whith shadow ball...while u change ice beam to grass knot...this gives u a better coverage especially against kyogres and groudons....since u r scarfed it wouldn't be so wise to fireblast...especially with the lack of some accuracy... = more hax meh
    finally...i like the flamecharge idea on Ho-oh..so maybe if u have a place for it ? Just sayin i'm not even sure yet
    but srsly this is a great RMT
    good job making it...and good luck in ladders
    hohoho another one of the greatest Uber players of all time....
    AND YES. ICE BEAM DOESNT DO ANYTHING AGAINST ZEKROM D:
    And the EVS are definitely changing...Gyro Ball does craploads of damage lol. I changed Ice Beam to HP Fire to hit Ferro's and Forre's harder and take 'em out before they can do anything.
    Grass Knot > Ice Beam I'm changing because I'm not using Ice Beam much anyway trololol. Fire Blast I'm keeping though, because it does insane damage under sun and can KO other Mewtwos after 3 layers of spikes (which isn't too hard to get up).

EDIT: Updated threat list with Lugia
    Last edited by justinjiaxinghu; 21st March 2013 at 2:19 PM.
    Credit to Astral Shadow!