Thread: Royal Pain (An Unusual OU Sun Team)

Hybrid View

Default Royal Pain (An Unusual OU Sun Team)

Alright, so this team is in fact OU. And yes, this team will make you rip your hair out of your head, if you love standard sets. Forget the very concept of a standard set, because this team simply doesn't have much in the way of that. I'm all about thinking outside of the box, so you'll see a whole lot of stuff that never sees the light of day outside my team (and that was actually the goal). However, please note that this team is still a work in progress, as I've been trying to devise handy ways of countering my mortal enemy -- rain.

There are plenty of Focus Sash abusers, because that's my fallback when I
    simply can't think of a good item for that Pokémon.

Cute Stuff (Victini) @ Icicle Plate
    Trait: Victory Star
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
    Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
    - Bolt Strike
    - V-create
    - Glaciate
    - Trick Room

Here is what this team is based on. Glaciate and Trick Room are the ways this one uses to get around the speed drops that V-Create has.

Glaciate, besides lowering the opponent's speed, also helps with coverage against a good amount of the metagame's Dragons. Yes, Victini only has 236 SpA with this set. At least I can deal with it, and at least get in a bit of hurt for the foe.

Bolt Strike and V-Create are where the party's at. Bolt Strike, with a staggering 130 power AND a chance at paralyzing the foe, is certainly a worthy
    coverage move. If I get a Trick Room in, chances are that the foe is in for four turns of a living hell...

Which is where Victini's amazing bulk comes in. 252 HP EV's give him 404 HP, and 236 in each defense, which is pretty good all around. He's able to survive a whole slew of neutral attacks (even an Outrage from a Salamence), and even a lot of supereffective attacks (he's survived an EQ from a Gliscor before).

This is one of the powerhouses of my team, even if he's usually dead before he's done with causing his mayhem. If he gets a Trick Room set up, about 90% of the time he ends up sweeping like crazy for 4 turns-- or more, if I can predict a second Trick Room really well.

------------------------------------------------

Silver (Ninetales) (M) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Drought
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Fire Blast
    - SolarBeam
    - Hidden Power [Ground]
    - Nasty Plot

Not much to say here. This Pokémon likes to switch, hence the Air Balloon that's there to at least alleviate Spikes damage. Fire Blast and Solarbeam have some powerful coverage, and they easily do some severe damage to anything that doesn't resist them...

Especially if Nasty Plot is set up. This is there to give Ninetales even more sweeping potential.

Hidden Power Ground is there almost exclusively to kill Heatrans the world over. Once Ninetales pops their balloons, it's all over when that HP Ground comes to send them to that fiery inferno that's there for them in the next
    life.

Bruce Lee (Medicham) (M) @ Black Belt
    Trait: Pure Power
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Hi Jump Kick
    - Ice Punch
    - Bullet Punch
    - Substitute

And here's the first of my annoying pranks on the OU community. Even with a Jolly Nature, with max investment, this one hits a mind-blowing 438 attack, without even lifting a finger!

That gives it some insanely powerful moves... IF ONLY it can outspeed the foe, which is where both Bullet Punch and Substitute come in. Sub protects it from that one faster move, and Bullet Punch lets it fire off some powerful priority attacks that will really rip holes in a team unprepared for it.

Hi Jump Kick is there for its sheer power. Since Medicham isn't going to last that long anyway, it can fire off a ridiculously powerful Hi Jump Kick at anything that doesn't like to spam Protect, or otherwise resist it.

Ice Punch is there for coverage until I come up with a more "one-size-fits-all" move for it. Either way, Medicham still kills dragons the easy way with that move.

---------------------------------------------

Ninja (Scizor) (F) @ Flying Gem
    Trait: Technician
    - Bullet Punch
    - Acrobatics
    - Superpower
    - Swords Dance

Yes, Scizor is OU. So what? I took it and created an original set anyway, and here it is. I've got the ever-present SD set, and with 251 Speed, she outspeeds a large portion of OU's bulky sweepers and walls, and simply trashes the majority of the OU meta with her powerful priority, be they +2 or not.

As for Acrobatics, that is a completely different animal. Why the heck would I give Scizor Aerial Ace when I had something so much more powerful as an option? When I remembered the sheer Technician boosted, item-boosted, 110-BP move, I went nuts and threw that Iron Plate out the window.

At 251 Speed, Scizor outpaces enough of the metagame for me to come up with something like a Flying Gem, which takes an already-powerful move, and turns it into something that needs to be feared by everyone crossing paths with it. Even after the gem has been consumed, Acrobatics has a staggering 137 Base Power (after technician boosts, and without any items), allowing her to rip apart anything she outspeeds.

After reading up on Acrobatics, you're thinking that Superpower is now overkill. With a +2 from SD, this move is definitely worth being there, in spite of the Att and Def drops. This move helps OHKO Heatran (almost all defensive variants are slower than this Scizor), Forretress, and an entire pantheon of major OU threats.

Anything that Superpower or Acrobatics doesn't destroy is taken care of by a BP 80 Bullet Punch (after STAB and Technician boosts). If Scizor can't outspeed, she can still sweep like mad by spamming a very potent priority move on the foe.

----------------------------------------

Caveman (Tangrowth) (M) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 100 Atk / 156 Def / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Power Whip
    - Earthquake
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Growth

Now you're asking "Why the heck aren't you using Venusaur?" My answer is that not only Venusaur looks so drab, but Tangrowth is that much more
    original... and carries more powerful moves, along with having some wicked physical bulk. 324 Defense and 340 HP is nothing to laugh at. It becomes downright depressing for any opponents when they see that he's got 434 Speed in the sun along with that...

Not only that, he's got Growth, which turns him from a monster into something resembling this:

The moves are there for some pretty awesome coverage. Tangrowth has very good attacking stats, which are turned into something ridiculous by Growth, meaning this monster can fire off sun-boosted HP Fires at any foe that he deems unworthy of sharing the field with him.

Power Whip is there as an amazing STAB move, and it's paired with Earthquake to fuel the coverage that HP Fire provides.

So you're asking why the heck I'm not going with Venusaur? A bulky, titanic beast is my answer.

------------------------------------------------------------

Megatron (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Download
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Discharge
    - Ice Beam
    - Tri Attack
    - Recover

Say hello to your worst nightmare. You think Genesect was bad? Think again.

Before I get into the moves, here's the exact stats when this royal pain has an Eviolite and that coveted +1 SpA boost from Download:

374 HP, [Att doesn't matter], 325 Defense, 508 Special Attack, 339 Special Defense, and 156 Speed.

I think Arceus can't even pull off that sort of trick, and I'm barely getting started! This guy has access to Recover, meaning he can use that insane bulk over and over again! 156 Speed means nothing when he can tank just about any hit under the sun (pun intended).

Discharge is there rather than thunderbolt/thunder because it's got 100% accuracy along with 30% chance to paralyze the opponent, meaning he outspeeds nearly every time after that. Ice Beam gives that move some nearly unbeatable neutral coverage, meaning this guy can sweep and sweep and Recover and sweep...

Tri Attack is there not only for that nice 20% chance of hax, but also for some epic STAB, along with the added coverage it gives to Discharge and Ice Beam. There are literally no Pokémon that resist all of his moves, except for a very similar Porygon2.

Why not Trick Room? He can tank anything, and so doesn't really need the extra speed that much. Save it for Victini or one of my opponent's glass cannons.

==========================

I know that this set isn't the best team ever posted, but it's certainly got some extremely effective sets that I've found on my own, from endless team testing.

This set is meant for casual laddering, so no, it doesn't have to be perfect. However, as was mentioned earlier, it's a work in progress, and needs some help becoming the best.

My goal is to use very few OU mons, or at least some extremely original moves. I'm posting this team for feedback to see how well I pulled it off.
    Last edited by Cosmic Fury; 16th March 2013 at 11:33 PM.
    Check out my newly-opened Trade Shop!!!
    ------------
    I have claimed Volcarona!
    ----------------
    FC: 3411 0844 2159

Sorry about the way it's posted. The forums were glitching up like mad on me while I typed it in... -_-

EDIT: Fixed up the post. Had to hit the "Enter" key a whole lot, though...

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Cosmic Fury; 16th March 2013 at 11:34 PM.
    ------------
    ----------------

I've faced that P2 set but it was running analytic, serious pain in the butt. Anyways; I potentially see trick room biting you in the bum if Victini goes down or P2 ends up being faster than pokemon X. Also your team is really fast and Glaciated also happens to be counter productive to Victini's move set. I'd recommend dropping trick room for Final Gambit in the event you run into something Victini can't really hurt or you feel like having a major threat out of the way (like toed)

^You ever have that moment you realize you forgot to give credit? Sorry Irra!!^

True enough, Glaciate isn't effective enough to be all that viable. I might be switching that instead of Trick Room, as Victini almost always stays alive during it. Besides, as I mentioned, P2 is nothing but a tank. If he can sponge hits in case a freak accident happens in which Victini dies during TR, so be it.

You have any suggestions for the Ninetales? I've benefited from its solid coverage, but it dies too often from rain-abusers, in spite of sun. :/
    ------------
    ----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Fury View Post
    Alright, so this team is in fact OU. And yes, this team will make you rip your hair out of your head, if you love standard sets. Forget the very concept of a standard set, because this team simply doesn't have much in the way of that. I'm all about thinking outside of the box, so you'll see a whole lot of stuff that never sees the light of day outside my team (and that was actually the goal). However, please note that this team is still a work in progress, as I've been trying to devise handy ways of countering my mortal enemy -- rain.

There are plenty of Focus Sash abusers, because that's my fallback when I
    simply can't think of a good item for that Pokémon.

Cute Stuff (Victini) @ Icicle Plate
    Trait: Victory Star
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
    Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
    - Bolt Strike
    - V-create
    - Brick Break
    - Trick Room

Here is what this team is based on. Glaciate and Trick Room are the ways this one uses to get around the speed drops that V-Create has.

Glaciate, besides lowering the opponent's speed, also helps with coverage against a good amount of the metagame's Dragons. Yes, Victini only has 236 SpA with this set. At least I can deal with it, and at least get in a bit of hurt for the foe.

Bolt Strike and V-Create are where the party's at. Bolt Strike, with a staggering 130 power AND a chance at paralyzing the foe, is certainly a worthy
    coverage move. If I get a Trick Room in, chances are that the foe is in for four turns of a living hell...

Which is where Victini's amazing bulk comes in. 252 HP EV's give him 404 HP, and 236 in each defense, which is pretty good all around. He's able to survive a whole slew of neutral attacks (even an Outrage from a Salamence), and even a lot of supereffective attacks (he's survived an EQ from a Gliscor before).

This is one of the powerhouses of my team, even if he's usually dead before he's done with causing his mayhem. If he gets a Trick Room set up, about 90% of the time he ends up sweeping like crazy for 4 turns-- or more, if I can predict a second Trick Room really well.

Silver (Ninetales) (M) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Drought
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Fire Blast
    - SolarBeam
    - Hidden Power [Ground]
    - Nasty Plot

Not much to say here. This Pokémon likes to switch, hence the Air Balloon that's there to at least alleviate Spikes damage. Fire Blast and Solarbeam have some powerful coverage, and they easily do some severe damage to anything that doesn't resist them...

Especially if Nasty Plot is set up. This is there to give Ninetales even more sweeping potential.

Hidden Power Ground is there almost exclusively to kill Heatrans the world over. Once Ninetales pops their balloons, it's all over when that HP Ground comes to send them to that fiery inferno that's there for them in the next
    life.

Bruce Lee (Medicham) (M) @ Black Belt
    Trait: Pure Power
    - Hi Jump Kick
    - Ice Punch
    - Bullet Punch
    - Substitute

And here's the first of my annoying pranks on the OU community. Even with a Jolly Nature, with max investment, this one hits a mind-blowing 438 attack, without even lifting a finger!

That gives it some insanely powerful moves... IF ONLY it can outspeed the foe, which is where both Bullet Punch and Substitute come in. Sub protects it from that one faster move, and Bullet Punch lets it fire off some powerful priority attacks that will really rip holes in a team unprepared for it.

Hi Jump Kick is there for its sheer power. Since Medicham isn't going to last that long anyway, it can fire off a ridiculously powerful Hi Jump Kick at anything that doesn't like to spam Protect, or otherwise resist it.

Ice Punch is there for coverage until I come up with a more "one-size-fits-all" move for it. Either way, Medicham still kills dragons the easy way with that move.

---------------------------------------------

Ninja (Scizor) (F) @ Flying Gem
    Trait: Technician
    - Bullet Punch
    - Acrobatics
    - Superpower
    - Swords Dance

Yes, Scizor is OU. So what? I took it and created an original set anyway, and here it is. I've got the ever-present SD set, and with 251 Speed, she outspeeds a large portion of OU's bulky sweepers and walls, and simply trashes the majority of the OU meta with her powerful priority, be they +2 or not.

As for Acrobatics, that is a completely different animal. Why the heck would I give Scizor Aerial Ace when I had something so much more powerful as an option? When I remembered the sheer Technician boosted, item-boosted, 110-BP move, I went nuts and threw that Iron Plate out the window.

At 251 Speed, Scizor outpaces enough of the metagame for me to come up with something like a Flying Gem, which takes an already-powerful move, and turns it into something that needs to be feared by everyone crossing paths with it. Even after the gem has been consumed, Acrobatics has a staggering 137 Base Power (after technician boosts, and without any items), allowing her to rip apart anything she outspeeds.

After reading up on Acrobatics, you're thinking that Superpower is now overkill. With a +2 from SD, this move is definitely worth being there, in spite of the Att and Def drops. This move helps OHKO Heatran (almost all defensive variants are slower than this Scizor), Forretress, and an entire pantheon of major OU threats.

Anything that Superpower or Acrobatics doesn't destroy is taken care of by a BP 80 Bullet Punch (after STAB and Technician boosts). If Scizor can't outspeed, she can still sweep like mad by spamming a very potent priority move on the foe.

----------------------------------------

Caveman (Tangrowth) (M) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 100 Atk / 156 Def / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Power Whip
    - Earthquake
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Growth

Now you're asking "Why the heck aren't you using Venusaur?" My answer is that not only Venusaur looks so drab, but Tangrowth is that much more
    original... and carries more powerful moves, along with having some wicked physical bulk. 324 Defense and 340 HP is nothing to laugh at. It becomes downright depressing for any opponents when they see that he's got 434 Speed in the sun along with that...

Not only that, he's got Growth, which turns him from a monster into something resembling this:

The moves are there for some pretty awesome coverage. Tangrowth has very good attacking stats, which are turned into something ridiculous by Growth, meaning this monster can fire off sun-boosted HP Fires at any foe that he deems unworthy of sharing the field with him.

Power Whip is there as an amazing STAB move, and it's paired with Earthquake to fuel the coverage that HP Fire provides.

So you're asking why the heck I'm not going with Venusaur? A bulky, titanic beast is my answer.

------------------------------------------------------------

Megatron (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Download
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Discharge
    - Ice Beam
    - Tri Attack
    - Recover

Say hello to your worst nightmare. You think Genesect was bad? Think again.

Before I get into the moves, here's the exact stats when this royal pain has an Eviolite and that coveted +1 SpA boost from Download:

374 HP, [Att doesn't matter], 325 Defense, 508 Special Attack, 339 Special Defense, and 156 Speed.

I think Arceus can't even pull off that sort of trick, and I'm barely getting started! This guy has access to Recover, meaning he can use that insane bulk over and over again! 156 Speed means nothing when he can tank just about any hit under the sun (pun intended).

Discharge is there rather than thunderbolt/thunder because it's got 100% accuracy along with 30% chance to paralyze the opponent, meaning he outspeeds nearly every time after that. Ice Beam gives that move some nearly unbeatable neutral coverage, meaning this guy can sweep and sweep and Recover and sweep...

Tri Attack is there not only for that nice 20% chance of hax, but also for some epic STAB, along with the added coverage it gives to Discharge and Ice Beam. There are literally no Pokémon that resist all of his moves, except for a very similar Porygon2.

Why not Trick Room? He can tank anything, and so doesn't really need the extra speed that much. Save it for Victini or one of my opponent's glass cannons.

==========================

I know that this set isn't the best team ever posted, but it's certainly got some extremely effective sets that I've found on my own, from endless team testing.

This set is meant for casual laddering, so no, it doesn't have to be perfect. However, as was mentioned earlier, it's a work in progress, and needs some help becoming the best.

My goal is to use very few OU mons, or at least some extremely original moves. I'm posting this team for feedback to see how well I pulled it off.
    Just the one thing here. Run brick break on Victini over Glaciate, because trick room takes boosts into account, so if you use it, you are pretty much giving the opponent a +2 speed boost. Also, I assume you are running 0 speed ivs on most pokes. Also, Tangrowth's chlorophyll is kinda counterproductive in trick room.

The Trick room is mainly for Victini's and Porygon2's benefit. It only lasts for 3 turns, and Victini is the only one on the team that carries it.
    ------------
    ----------------

I don't remember running this but I've really wanted to. It fits your team pretty well IMO (it's a troll)

Ninetales@ leftovers
    Drought
    Bold or Calm
    252 hp/ 252 (sp)def/ 4 (sp) def
    Will O wisp
    Toxic
    Sunny day/ Protect
    Flamethrower

The set trolls opposing weather starters hard. Will O Wisp pretty much renders Ttar useless while toxic stalling Toed and other rain abusers is always fun. This also makes it so random scarf variants don't kill you. Sunny day and protect have different uses, one stalls while the other just straight up trolls them as they switch in. Flamethrower is so your not taunt bait. You can alter the Ev's as much as you like, if you run sunny day you might want to put in enough Ev's to outspeed max speed toed. Otherwise put the Ev's in to maximize bulk. This set would obviously love hazard support. Can't really say how effective it would be, but it would certainly troll people

^You ever have that moment you realize you forgot to give credit? Sorry Irra!!^

I'll put Willowisp over HP Ground, but I need another solid way to kill faster versions of Heatran, though.

Also put Thunderpunch over Bullet Punch on Medicham, as BP hasn't helped its cause too much lately. Also putting Brick Break over Glaciate for Victini, in favor of a Shell Bell (as it deals pretty massive damage whenever he hits something.
    Last edited by Cosmic Fury; 17th March 2013 at 9:01 PM.
    ------------
    ----------------

Personally, I'd run Glaciate/V-Create/Bolt Strike/Brick Break with an Expert Belt on Victini. It lets you beat two of the best Victini switch ins, Intimidate Salamence and Dragonite, with Galciate (though you'll need Stealth Rock against Dragonite), while killing Landorus T as well. It also lets you beat out Dugtrio if he switches in on Glaciate. Also, you get more elbow room with the ability to switch moves, and you can bluff a Choice item. If you do use this set, then 252 Atk, 252 spd, and 4 sp. Atk on a Naive Nature.

Weavile and Mamoswine kill dragons more easily than Medicham. Weavile is UU, so I can suggest a set for you if you want.

Stealth Rock would really benefit the team here. I recommend using Claydol for great special defense, hazards, and Rapid Spin.

Direct team rate

Victini- try the Victini set I listed.

Ninetales- Since you're trying not to use OU mons, Wynaut try Vulpix, just for laughs.

Medicham- I recommend Weavile here as a better dragon slayer

Scizor- Personally, I would choose Flying Gems Drifblim or Crobat. Drifblim can fire off an Acrobatics, followed by Destiny Bond to take down the next pokemon. Crobat can utilize Taunt and Super Fang. Both are extremely fast (Drifblim after Unburden, though).

Tangrowth- eh, seems good.

Porygon2- I recommend Claydol here. Rapid Spin would seriously benefit Victini, as well as Stealth Rock to take down Dragonite.
    For trade:
    Legendaries- Shiny rash , Shiny relaxed , Sassy , , 2 (one docile, one lax), , , (DW event), , ,

DW(non-female)- ,

DW females-

Friend Codes:
    White- 2537 7184 5779

Name: Nike
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
    With enough skill, you can put any pokemon here

I`ll say the things that are meh first
    1) icicle plate victini is a big NO, same with shell bell
    2) acrobatic scizor is not the greatest as it a) doesnt get a stab boost and b) has a stab that beats most types you hit with acrobatics anyway
    3) "Say hello to your worst nightmare. You think Genesect was bad? Think again." this may come off as harsh but from this i get the feeling you never saw how terrable genesect was. It could literally sweep at team that didnt have heatran or a blob
    4) air ballon tales is bad, ninetales is sub par, trust me i`ve tried most ninetales sets, and the only effective one is defensive

I suggest changing victini to a choice band set as his v create in the sub is one of the most powerful moves in the game, competing with kyurem w speced draco meteor, blacks banded outrage, and darmatians flare blitz. Furthermore, bolt strike and brick break tear huge holes in the opponents team while u turn will let you gain momentum. I suggest switching tales to a defensive set as its his best, and really only viable set. Sunny day forces out defensive toed, but ninetales shouldnt stay in against toed as scarfed KOs him and speced OHKOs him in the sun. However, he can beat other weather inducers with will-o-wisp taking away 13%, that plus rocks, they loss about 25% whenever they switch in unless they have lefties. Furthermore, roar is a nice move for slot 4 to force out cm latias that destroys sun teams. I suggest adding dugtrio>medicham as despite huge power, medicham`s sub par speed makes it outclassed by other fighting, thus why its tiered as RU. Furthermore, dugtrio makes a nice core with victini in the way that victini can u turn when something tries to stop it like heatran and ttar and dugtrio can trap and kill them. While i`m not a fan of tangrowth as even with chlorophyll he outspeeds about as much stuff as scarfed tyrannitar, he has uses and i dont want to suggest changing everything. Next i suggest a rapid spinner as victini and tales will die quick to rocks, sun starmie would be the best for your team as it can do decent damage to rain threats, and sun boost hp fire lets it check ferrothorn, while ice beam beats unboosted dragons and thunder/thunderbolt beats bulky waters. The last mon is suggest is in place of p2, a better version of a "second genesect" volcarona. With hp ice, giga drain and flamethrower, volcarona has the same coverage as genesect, while having better sp attack and sp def, but less speed. However, thats miner as with 196 speed invested he outpaces positive nature pokes with 80 base speed, so after 1 quiver dance he`ll outpace a chunk of the OU metagame. With modest, he hits 607 sp attack at +1 and basically OHKOs everything, bar heatran and the blobs (who are 2hkoed with a LO) and heatran can be baited and trapped with dugtrio and victini destroys the blobs.

Thanks for the suggestions! As far as choiced sets go, I'm not a very big fan, as they require too much switching to go around, especially if my opponent switches in something that simply shuts it down.

For Victini, I've found a TR set to be effective, and it's honestly my single favorite playstyle for this particular mon. U-Turn is a good strategy though, but it's a toss up between that and Brick Break, which is also pretty viable (and is on the set already, over Glaciate).

As for Ninetales, what sort of set would you suggest to be as anti-rain as possible? Willowisp doesn't hurt rain abusers as much, as most of them are special attackers.

I very much like the Volcarona set you suggested, bar Flamethrower. (I tend to stick fast with Fiery Dance.) Also, HP Ice isn't needed as badly, if I'm to replace the Medicham with an effective dragon slayer, be it replacing it with Starmie or Weavile. (I'm not a particular fan of either, but I need something good.)

Overall, I'm a really big fan of tanks, that can either sweep on the go, or set up in the foe's face. The Volcarona you suggested definitely fits the bill, and if I don't even change anything, it'll easily replace Medicham as a late-game sweeper.
    ------------
    ----------------