Thread: Would an OVA be a cool idea?

Default Would an OVA be a cool idea?

I mean, with a franchise like Pokemon, I'm surprised at the lack of Original Video Animations or the like. What do you think they could do with this idea? Expand on part of the Anime or the games? Make a totally separate story from Ash's?

A 1 hour BW2 style mini movie would be nice.

I figured the Chronicles were pretty much like OVAs. Far as I know, they haven't made any more since Hoenn... I guess.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    I figured the Chronicles were pretty much like OVAs. Far as I know, they haven't made any more since Hoenn... I guess.
    Maybe but they were often few and I'd love it if they made more to show Dawn and Brock more outside Ash.

Sure. They could use OVAs to adapt some of the manga, or to expand on the current anime
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

I'm not sure I understand your question, what do you mean by an Original Video Animation?
    [IMG]http://oi44.*******.com/2r2chw2.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by CliveKoopa View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your question, what do you mean by an Original Video Animation?
    Think direct-to-video material that can be a sequel to an Anime or whatever.

I'd say more OVAS on Ash's companions like a Chronicles. Would love to see more Misty ones & also what Dawn is up to.

The specials were canceled in Japan back in 2005 (not counting those random Dawn/Brock ones), because the Japanese didn't care for them.

That's why Misty and Tracey stopped getting speaking roles in the show, and why other characters like Richie, Sakura and Casey never appeared again.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    The specials were canceled in Japan back in 2005 (not counting those random Dawn/Brock ones), because the Japanese didn't care for them.
    Source for this?
    I, stickerstaryoshi, am now authorized to use the usertitle "We got 3D: XY!", created by user Cresselia92 and to modify it according to my desires.

Fan of the Mario and Luigi series since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by marioluigifan05 View Post
    Source for this?
    They ended back in 2005. The one with Richie/Moltres was the last one. That's why they didn't continue them during Battle Frontier and why there were no specials in DP at all besides Mystery Dungeon shorts.

Logic would dictate the characters in them weren't interesting to many people, especially since many of them were unpopular to begin with like Richie and Casey.

Don't forget that they add a different character appearing in 3 episodes part 1 to 3 with Jimmy.And also Marina.It would be cool if they add more different characters that were on either manga books or video games characters from Pokemon being on screen giving a episode on them on their own journey.I'm mean we had two character boys that made a appeareance in a cameo shot in different movies on Pokemon seeing them on screen.Brendan and Lucas.And also Ethan too.I would like to see some of these characters appeared on Pokemon Chronicles giving them a episode to appeared on.Characters I like to see on screen are Brendan,Lucas,Leaf,Hilda any of them on there.

It would be cool if they made one special ova Pokemon episode of the girls that travel with Ash meet each other in a special episode just for them.Misty,May,Dawn and Iris.They made Misty and May meet each other,May and Dawn meet and Dawn meeting Iris.like for Dawn and Iris both meet Misty in.And having Iris to meet May too.
    Last edited by Sushi; 25th March 2013 at 9:39 PM.

There's been a couple OVAs. There's the Pikachu's Winter Vacation series for starters, and there was the recent Meloetta one that came bundled with a magazine.
    But remember the Pokemon franchise is aimed at young children, and that the primary purpose of the anime is to act as advertisement for the other merchandise. "Anime episodes you'll have to buy if you want to watch" isn't really a good business model for this franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    That's nonsense. The Side Story episodes of SPH got higher ratings than the non-Side Story ones on a pretty regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dephender View Post
    "Anime episodes you'll have to buy if you want to watch" isn't really a good business model for this franchise.
    Don't fans buy DVDs?

I would be happy if there was an OVA for Ash's past travelling companions, much like how the Chronicles does, but better.

Spoiler:- Credits::

- please excuse my shoddy syntax for some reason I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Don't fans buy DVDs?
    Not the ones aged 6-9, which is the primary demographic of the show. Keep in mind that the home releases of the TV series were dropped in early Johto, presumably due to poor sales.
    Last edited by Dephender; 8th April 2013 at 8:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dephender View Post
    Not the ones aged 6-9, which is the primary demographic of the show. Keep in mind that the home releases of the TV series were dropped in early Johto, presumably due to poor sales.
    Well, okay, maybe not OVAs but more specials (NOT clip shows) and what have you would be cool.