Thread: Singles Sandstorm Stall

Default Singles Sandstorm Stall

I've been toying with sandstorm teams for a long time now but this team recently just fell into my lap. I started to make this team for fun to p*** off my friend who doesn't know as much about battling as I do and I really like this team now lol so here it is

Forretress @ Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Sturdy
    EV's: 252 HP, 252 defense, 4 Attack
    Nature: Adamant
    -Explosion
    -Spikes
    -Toxic Spikes
    -Protect

This is my experimental lead. I gave him tanky EV's but went with an Adamant nature because I plan to use him as a suicide lead. He comes out, sets as many layers of entry hazards as he can then BOOM! He explodes.

Golem @ Rocky Helmet
    EV's: 252 HP, 252 Attack, 4 Defense
    Nature: Impish
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge
    -Stealth Rock
    -Explosion

This is another experimental hazard setter that goes boom. The only difference between him and Forretress is that he can actually be used offensively. I don't know a good item to put on him so I just went with the Rocky Helmet for now *if you have any good ideas let me know *. He brings good bulk and attack and has two very good STAB attacks bringing the StoneQuake combo.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EV's: 252 Attack, 252 HP, 4 Defense
    -Toxic
    -Earthquake
    -Slack Off
    -Protect

This is where the stall comes in. This might be odd EV's but I love my PowPow. He has insanely physical bulk and still dishes out a ton of damage. In all the games I have ever used him in, he has never met a physical move he couldn't take like a champ and laugh about it as he slacks it off. Most likely going to get rid of Toxic and put on Roar since I have a Toxic Spikes setter. Love my hippo xD

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
    Ability: Overcoat
    EV's: 252 HP, 252 Special Defense, 4 Defense
    Nature: Careful
    -Toxic
    -Roost
    -Protect
    -Brave Bird

I really like this Mandibuzz as well. It's my special wall and it takes everything like a champ. Probably going to get rid of Toxic on this set as well and put in Whirlwind instead. These are my most traditional EV set and it's probably the star of this set just because it can stall so hard.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Strudy
    EV's: 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Nature: Bold
    -Thunderbolt
    -Volt Switch
    -Hidden Power: Flying
    -Flash Cannon

I went with a Bold nature just to have some more added physical bulk that Magnezone brings. I'm sure it would be better to run Modest or Timid but this is just what I've been using. He's Choice Scarfed with Flash Cannon and Thunderbolt to take care of the Water and Ice types that would typically plague this team.

Excadrill @ Life Orb
    Ability: Sand Rush
    EV's: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Nature: Jolly
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge
    -X-Scissor
    -Swords Dance

Excadrill acts as my insurance policy in case the stall fails. He can come in and pull of a sweep whenever I need him to. Not sure about the Swords Dance since he is running Life Orb *if someone could help me there I would appreciate it.* Also, his forth move is X-Scissor for Psychic, Dark and Grass types and it's worked fine for me *don't know what everyone thinks of that so let me know.*

This is my team so far and I like it but any thoughts would be appreciated. I've been contemplating putting Stealth Rocks on Hippowdon and completely taking out Golem to put in Golurk just to have a Rapid Spin stopper, since removing entry hazards would be catastrophic to any stall team.
    Black FC: 1764 5225 4156
    X FC: 0705 3284 4459
    Jesse

PM for offers

Pokemon Showdown Random Battle Epic Comeback and Marowak Sweep
    http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/repla...battle13264983

Excadrill is banned
    Mandibuzz isn't a wall
    Golem is redundant with both the explosion and the rock ground typing
    Put leftovers on magnezone, gives more bulk as scarf doesn't help its speed much.
    Those are all the immediate problems now, full rate later
    FC (White): 1248-9416-2795
    3DS FC: 1633-4254-1939
    Friend Safari: (Rock) Dwebble, Macargo, Barbaracle
    PM me if you want a battle or trade

Quote Originally Posted by Endless View Post
    What? You don't feel the testosterone rush through your veins when you look at Machamp's large, manly pecs?

Mon by mon:

Forretress @ Sitrus Berry
    EV's: 252 HP, 252 defense, 4 Attack
    -Explosion
    -Spikes
    -Toxic Spikes
    -Protect

This is my experimental lead. I gave him tanky EV's but went with an Adamant nature because I plan to use him as a suicide lead. He comes out, sets as many layers of entry hazards as he can then BOOM! He explodes.
    Well, Explosion isn't gonna OHKO everything this gen what with the major nerf it got, especially off Forretress, even with Adamant. I'd drop that for Impish Nature and Rapid Spin, with either Stealth Rock or Volt Switch over Protect.

Golem @ Rocky Helmet
    EV's: 252 HP, 252 Attack, 4 Defense
    Nature: Impish
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge
    -Stealth Rock
    -Explosion

This is another experimental hazard setter that goes boom. The only difference between him and Forretress is that he can actually be used offensively. I don't know a good item to put on him so I just went with the Rocky Helmet for now *if you have any good ideas let me know *. He brings good bulk and attack and has two very good STAB attacks bringing the StoneQuake combo.
    Golem is terrible in OU, especially given the prevalence of Rain. There isn't much I'd change about the set though, so if you are going to use it at least run Normal Gem to give Explosion more power, and possibly squeeze Sucker Punch over something. Explosion still won't OHKO everything like it did in Gen 4, but it will KO a fair bit and it will punch holes in whatever it doesn't. STAB EdgeQuake is nice but more often than not if you didn't Explode when you get hit the first time you will get KOed without having done anything useful. Golem's pretty good in NU, but it really should stay NU.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EV's: 252 Attack, 252 HP, 4 Defense
    -Toxic
    -Earthquake
    -Slack Off
    -Protect
    Pretty self-explanatory defensive Hippo here, the only thing I'd change is the EVs, to the standard 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk. But if the spread you have works for you, more power to ya

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
    Ability: Overcoat
    EV's: 252 HP, 252 Special Defense, 4 Defense
    Nature: Careful
    -Toxic
    -Roost
    -Protect
    -Brave Bird

I really like this Mandibuzz as well. It's my special wall and it takes everything like a champ. Probably going to get rid of Toxic on this set as well and put in Whirlwind instead. These are my most traditional EV set and it's probably the star of this set just because it can stall so hard.
    Mandibuzz isn't a wall
    Lol? It's one of the best Special walls in RU. It's outclassed in OU, but usable if you really don't want a blob or Jellicent to take Sandstorm damage I guess. The blobs and Jellicent are much better though. I'll be suggesting Mon changes tomorrow, only have time to do the sets today.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Strudy
    EV's: 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Nature: Bold
    -Thunderbolt
    -Volt Switch
    -Hidden Power: Flying
    -Flash Cannon

I went with a Bold nature just to have some more added physical bulk that Magnezone brings. I'm sure it would be better to run Modest or Timid but this is just what I've been using. He's Choice Scarfed with Flash Cannon and Thunderbolt to take care of the Water and Ice types that would typically plague this team.
    Scarfed? Timid. And give it Magnet Pull and HP Fire, VASTLY superior to what you have. For that matter, I'd recommend Sub+3 attacks, since it sets up easily and removes Skarmory for you, which walls the entire team bar Magnezone with no trouble, and disregarding Excadrill because it is banned in OU.

Magnezone @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    Timid Nature
    EVs: 36 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
    - Substitute
    - Charge Beam
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power Fire

Come in on a Steel choice-locked into something that can't touch you like Banded Scizor locked into Bullet Punch, or on a Steel you completely wall, like Skarmory. Sub in their face. Charge Beam to +6. Sweep. I know it's a stall team. But full stall is dead in BW2. You need at least something with power. I wouldn't really recommend this be your only real offense though, since it can only really set up on Steels, but it's extremely useful. I've never regretted using this thing. You can run Lefties over Air Balloon but I find the Ground immunity really helpful sometimes. Both work fine, take your pick.

Put leftovers on magnezone, gives more bulk as scarf doesn't help its speed much.
    Scarf Magnezone works fine. Magneton is usually preferred due to the higher Spe, but Scarf Magnezone works fine. Just sayin'. Scarfed Timid reaches 360, outspeeding positive-nature Base 110s.

Excadrill @ Life Orb
    Ability: Sand Rush
    EV's: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Nature: Jolly
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge
    -X-Scissor
    -Swords Dance

Excadrill acts as my insurance policy in case the stall fails. He can come in and pull of a sweep whenever I need him to. Not sure about the Swords Dance since he is running Life Orb *if someone could help me there I would appreciate it.* Also, his forth move is X-Scissor for Psychic, Dark and Grass types and it's worked fine for me *don't know what everyone thinks of that so let me know.*
    Illegal in OU. Will post Scizor set tomorrow.

completely taking out Golem to put in Golurk just to have a Rapid Spin stopper, since removing entry hazards would be catastrophic to any stall team.
    I agree with removing Golem for a spinblocker but do not use Golurk. Jellicent and Gengar are a thousand times better.

It looks like you've locked yourself into the mindset that the only Pokemon that should be on a Sand team are Pokemon immune to it. Not true. Jellicent does excellently in Sand. So do Latias, Rotom-W, Celebi, Blissey, Slowbro and Tentacruel, to name a few. There are lots more. Trust me, I've been running Sand a looooong, long time. Taking Sand damage isn't a huge concern. What matters is checking threats to the team as a whole.
    Last edited by loco1234; 20th March 2013 at 7:05 PM.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis

Wow that's a lot to think about lol I've never been able to get a Scizor but I'm still trying. I just finished my Special Wall Jellicent from Smogon and I'm going to be redoing Forretress and Magnezone next. Was thinking about using Magneton just because I haven't tried him yet.
    Jesse

PM for offers

Quote Originally Posted by SmeargleIsUber View Post
    Wow that's a lot to think about lol I've never been able to get a Scizor but I'm still trying. I just finished my Special Wall Jellicent from Smogon and I'm going to be redoing Forretress and Magnezone next. Was thinking about using Magneton just because I haven't tried him yet.
    There's also online pokemon simulators, like PO.
    Also, don't switch out for Magneton. Stick to Magnezone, who fits this team way better. Magneton is only really good for an Eviolite set, and with the weaknesses your team has right now it won't help at all.

But yeah, everything loco said is solid, and I don't really have any comments beyond the fact that you don't really have a solid counter to rain. Magnezone might, but Hydro Pump in the rain by, well, anyone really will most likely OHKO, maybe in two hits with Sub. So think about that.
    EDIT: Just noticed Mandibuzz.
    How about switching it with Jellicent, who can act as a solid wall, spin-blocker, and Water-Absorber all at once? That could work. I would recommend something along the lines of Scald, Toxic, Protect, and Recover or something like that. EVs are up to you, although if you want a monster Special Wall you can do that.
    Last edited by Soperman; 21st March 2013 at 3:07 AM.

This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

Yeah I just put Jellicent in for Mandibuzz

Jellicent @ Leftovers
    Ability: Water Absorb
    EV's: 252 HP, 220 Special Defense, 36 Defense
    Nature: Calm
    -Scald
    -Shadow Ball
    -Recover
    -Protect
    Jesse

PM for offers

Just realized I forgot to give set suggestions. My day's full of study halls today so I'll post 'em then. Except the Jellicent set, since that was basically the one I was going to suggest.

Although if you wanted something more offensive you could run Hex over Shadow Ball, but you kinda need Toxic or WoW for Hex to be better. Scald burns aren't something to rely on for Hex.
    Last edited by loco1234; 22nd March 2013 at 1:53 AM.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

Wil-o-wisp or toxic are way better options than protect on Jelli. Try those if you can. Taunt is also a good option to replace shadow ball, which really helps against toxic users such as politoed.

As others said, Golem just isn't very good in OU. If you want something similar, use Rhyperior: it has more attack, more hp, and more defense as well as Megahorn to nail grass types. I suggest using a different pokemon, though. If you want a sr setter, Terrakion is a very good choice in sand. with its high speed, it can almost always get stealth rock on the field, and then it can attack with its powerful close combat and stone edge. I noticed you play on a cartridge, though, so getting Terra might be difficult. Another option is to give hippowdon sr and open up the slot that was golem for something else like a sweeper or another wall. If you can get terra and want to use it: make it the lead and give forretress the standard set which can be found on smogon.

for a golem replacement: Thundurus T kinda ruins you, and so does rain in general, as jellicent is your only check. Ferrothorn is a very good wall to almost all rain teams and can set up spikes. In that case, replace forretress for something else, though.

The suggested set for Magnezone is fine, as well as the Scizor set loco is going to suggest I'm sure :P

Lastly, the Forretress is very weid. Either run max attack ev's, adamant nature and give it a normal gem with explosion, spikes, toxic spikes and gyro ball and use it as a lead, or run a full defensive set with all defensive ev's and nature and rapid spin, spikes, toxic spikes and gyro ball/volt switch. An explosion without any attack ev's isn't really gonna hurt most things since the nerf of it this gen. Here are the sets:

Forretress@Normal gem
    Trait: Sturdy
    Adamant Nature
    252att/252hp/4sdef
    -Explosion
    -Spikes
    -Toxic Spikes
    -Gyro Ball

Forretress@Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    Impish Nature
    252hp/252def/4sdef
    -Rapid Spin
    -Spikes
    -Toxic Spikes
    -Gyro Ball/Volt Switch

Good luck with the team!

EDIT: oh, and I forgot to say you have to use 0 speed iv's on both sets to make sure Gyro ball has maximum power.
    Last edited by Manectrifier; 21st March 2013 at 6:41 PM.
        Spoiler:- DD stuff:

as well as the Scizor set loco is going to suggest I'm sure :P
    Thanks for the vote of confidence there haha

So over Golem I'd suggest that Terrakion Treeckotrainer mentioned, it is a great offensive Stealth Rock setter, especially since it's better-known for a set-up sweeping approach or for a Choice Band set.

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Justified
    Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    - Stealth Rock
    - Swords Dance
    - Stone Edge
    - Close Combat

The basic idea here is that Terrakion finds its opportunities to drop Rocks in the switches it forces, which are many. Further, you have the Sash so even if they don't switch you will at least get your Rocks up. If you do get a free Rocks set, your Sash is there for Swords Dance, but in that case Priority users can limit your sweep to 1 KO. You do want to lead with this, since the Sash is broken by hazards, but Terrakion scares off enough leads to make that a decent option anyway (Eat it Ninetales). Terrakion's STABs are Stone Edge and Close Combat, which get great coverage together, and the EVs and Nature are pretty standard for a sweeper.

I'm actually gonna suggest the same Ferrothorn over Forretress as another Rain check. Note that this does remove your Spinner, but I can't see that being a huge problem. I've made teams weaker to hazards than this one without a spinner and they've been fine. Most of what you'd use in the sand resists Rock anyway, and a few are immune to Stealth Rock entirely *Cough*REUNICLUS*Cough*

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
    EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
    - Spikes
    - Thunder Wave
    - Leech Seed
    - Power Whip

I run this all the time, sometimes with Stealth Rock over Spikes, depending on needs. If you use that Terrakion set you can run Spikes here, or you can go for Rocks and use a SubDance or DoubleDance Terrakion. Anyway, Spikes is the hazard here, Thunder Wave is incredible on Ferrothorn, since it's bulky enough to get a few off and people don't seem to see it coming at all. Leech Seed has solid synergy with Thunder Wave, since if they do stay in they'll have one hell of a time trying to beat you with 18% recovery per turn and paralysis working against them, and their HP being drained all the while. Of course, most people switch after the Leech Seed, but if you're good with prediction that's more T-Wave spreading for you. Power Whip is used over Gyro Ball despite the accuracy and lower potential power because Power Whip has stable power, better coverage and does not clash with Thunder Wave. I love this set so, so much, you have no idea.

Looking at the team with those two added, you have Hippowdon, Terrakion, Ferrothorn, Jellicent and Magnezone. What they lack most of all is a revenge-killer, so the Scizor set I'll be suggesting here is Banded Scizor. Ordinarily I'd be a bit cautious about using it since Ferrothorn is a huge problem, but Magnezone mauls Ferrothorn horribly so that isn't going to be a problem and you have Jellicent to take the Fire hits (Heatran's an even better partner, but Jellicent is better for this team as you really want a spinblocker if you're going to go a more Stall-ish route.

Scizor @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
    - Bullet Punch
    - U-Turn
    - Superpower
    - Pursuit

Bullet Punch gets STAB, Priority and a Technician boost for 90 Base Power off a spectacular Atk stat. That hurts. And it will revenge-kill almost anything you need it to. You will use that more than anything on this set. U-Turn is for scouting and rocks alongside Choice items. Superpower smashes through other Steels. Pursuit catches things as they run away. I'm fairly sure even with the damage doubled it still gets the Technician boost, which puts it at the equivalent of 120 Base Power on fleeing targets. Pretty simple here.

Reuniclus is another fantastic Sandmon, but I'm not really sure where it goes here. Worth noting though is that it is the single best Stallbreaker in OU. This team is better-prepared for it than most Stall teams I see (with Scizor anyway, Reuniclus doesn't enjoy Banded U-Turn/Pursuit), but there is literally nothing many Stall teams can do to it. I'm speaking from experience here - I still see Stall a fair bit on PO, and I get to +6 and sweep all the time with Reuniclus. In short: Beware of anything that has Magic Guard. Sigilyph is much easier to deal with until it gets set up, then it becomes arguably scarier. Again, Pursuit deals with it, so does Stone Edge, and Sigilyph is pretty uncommon. Alakazam gets Magic Guard but it's really frail. Scizor will OHKO non-Sashed Zam with Bullet Punch.
    Last edited by loco1234; 21st March 2013 at 11:32 PM.

Finally got my Scizor
    Jesse

PM for offers