Thread: Need a 6th Pokemon for my BW2 team!

Question Need a 6th Pokemon for my BW2 team!

I need a 6th Pokemon for my OU-tier Sandstorm Team. I don't have much (or actually any) experience in competitive battling, so I don't know how good my team is anyway, but in any case I need a 6th member.

Current Team:
    Species: Glisgor
    Ability: Hyper Cutter
    Held Item: (undecided)
    Nature: Jolly
    Move set: Baton Pass, Agility, Taunt, Earthquake
    Role: Baton Passer

Species: Metagross
    Ability: Clear Body
    Held Item: Life Orb
    Nature: Adament
    Move set: Zen Headbutt, Meteor Mash, Earthquake, Explosion
    Role: Physical sweeper

Species: Swampert
    Ability: Torrent
    Held Item: Leftovers
    Nature: Relaxed
    Move set: Protect, Ice Beam, Surf, Earthquake
    Role: Bulky water/mixed sweeper

Species: Tyranitar
    Ability: Sand Stream
    Held Item: Choice Band
    Move set: Fire Punch, Crunch, Stone Edge, Earthquake
    Role: Weather support/physical sweeper

And either of the following (haven't decided which yet)

Species: Rhydon
    Ability: Lightning Rod
    Held Item: Eviolite
    Move set: Stealth Rock, Roar, Rock Black, Earthquake
    Role: Support/physical sweeper

Species: Skarmory
    Ability: Sturdy
    Held Item: (undecided)
    Nature: Impish
    Move set: Spikes, Roar, Roost, Fly
    Role: Support

I was thinking either Ferrothorn or Reuniclus, but I'm not sure what sort of EV's/IV's or move sets to run with either of those.

What kind of Pokemon would you suggest for this team, given that I'll also be running Sandstorm?
    The darkened master of the skies...Rayquaza!

This is a lot to pick at, so I'll only point out a few things.

Gliscor - Poison Heal is the superior Ability if you can obtain it, as most people don't use Charm-esque Moves. With that in mind, you may want to use a Stall set to take advantage of it's Bulk. Run Impish > Jolly if you Stall. EV's should be 252 Hp / 180 Def / 72 Spe. For the Moves, Toxic / Substitute / Protect / Earthquake works wonders.

Metagross - You'll probably want Stealth Rock > Zen Headbutt to help make Sweeps easier to come by. Spread should be 248 Hp / 252 Atk / 8 Spe to outspeed other Pokemon with the same Base Speed.

Skarmory - Whirlwind > Roar and Brave Bird > Fly. Use Impish aswell.
    I'm feelin' electric tonight
    Cruising down the coast goin' 'bout 99
    Got my bad baby by my heavenly side
    I know if I go, I'll die happy tonight

The reason I was going for Hyper Cutter over poison Heal was to prevent stat lowering from Intimidate. The EV's are about what I'm running to enhance its survivability, but more in Speed so it can safely Baton Pass without getting OHKO'd

The EV spread for Metagross is what I'm currently running. I considered Stealth Rock but I really want to capitalise on its attack power as much as I can. Also, which attack should I replace to make room for it?

How do you get Brave Bird on a Skarmory? I still haven't figured that one out.

Probably Zen Headbutt, as it offers the least amount of coverage. Explosion might not fit as Metagross normally gets outsped anyway. I'd say use Ice Punch instead.

I can't quite remember, but I'd get either Drill Peck or Brave Bird.
    I'm feelin' electric tonight
    Cruising down the coast goin' 'bout 99
    Got my bad baby by my heavenly side
    I know if I go, I'll die happy tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Sensai View Post
    Probably Zen Headbutt, as it offers the least amount of coverage. Explosion might not fit as Metagross normally gets outsped anyway. I'd say use Ice Punch instead.

I can't quite remember, but I'd get either Drill Peck or Brave Bird.
    So, you reckon Stealth Rock, Ice Punch, Earthquake, Meteor Mash then? That sounds like reasonable coverage, even without the Psychic STAB

Those attacks might be breeding moves. I'll have to look it up.

I'm slightly confused; is this meant to be an in-game team, a competitive team, or both? Based on how you worded/organized your team, there's evidence to suggest that it could be one or the other. But, in-game and competitive have vastly different strategies, mostly due to the fact that the AI rarely switches. So knowing would be helpful.

Metagross - If it's for in-game, I'd recommend against Stealth Rock. As mentioned, the AI rarely switches (if ever), and relatively few use full teams of 6, so you don't really get much bang for your buck from in-game entry hazards. But yeah, it's a game-changer competitively. I guess most of this is dependent on the answer to the above question.

Skarmory - I'd opt for Brave Bird over Drill Peck on Skarmory as well, since its attack is only average at best. While the recoil may be unappealing, the sheer power can make up for it, since Drill Peck doesn't quite do enough (imo). Plus you've got Roost to shake off recoil. And yes, Brave Bird is an egg move on Skarmory. Farfetch'd, the Starly line, Ducklett/Swanna, and Rufflet/Braviary are all capable of giving your Skarmory the egg move.

Also, I should mention that you don't have to feel obligated to use specifically Sandstorm immune Pokemon on a Sandstorm team, especially if it's meant to be competitive. It may seem counter-intuitive but it's not uncommon to pack a Pokemon that specifically counters threats to Sandstorm teams, even if your counters aren't immune to Sandstorm themselves. Examples are Latias and Rotom-W, who, despite taking Sandstrom damage, both act as great checks to Rain and Sun, which can throw a wrench in your strategy. You can't always expect to just have TTar switch in to solve all your weather woes, after all.

TL;DR - There is valid reason to use non-Sandstorm immune Pokemon on a Sandstorm team. Even in-game, there are going to be situations where you don't want to put Tyranitar out first, so Sand might not even be up all the time.

Try Rotom-W or Ferrothorn as your 6th, regardless. Nothing on your team can take water attacks, as they all take at least neutral damage from it, and you have nothing that hits water for super-effective damage. Personally? I'd suggest Rotom-W over Ferrothorn, because taking Ferro would make half your team weak to Fire Attacks (Skarmory, Metagross, Ferrothorn). Maybe something along the lines of...

Rotom-W
    Modest
    -Hydro Pump
    -Thunderbolt
    -Pain Split
    -Will-o-Wisp/Volt Switch

Dual STAB is pretty obvious, and Pain Split works well with Rotom-W due to having high defenses, but relatively low HP. Volt Switch is great competitively, but not really worth it in-game. Will-o-Wisp can cripple any physical attackers threatening you (barring Guts users and fire types), or you could opt for something like Signal Beam or Shadow Ball for a little extra coverage. *shrugs*
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.