Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your style of playing?

I forgot to put in how i do my pokemon.

I like all you rest used to blindly charge in with my starter and obliberate every gym leader from the face of this planet.

I prefer the nuzlocking ways now though
    [img]http://i41.*******.com/2m2fivq.png[/img]
    Lovely Art by Equal-to-Heaven
    Join the Pokemon Anime Style Battling League!
    |PASBL|FB|Manga|A little something to watch|Art|
    [img]http://i42.*******.com/2lw4umr.gif[/img]

I always start off with good intentions. For example, I always begin by aiming to catch all pokemon in an area before moving on, but then I get a bit impatient and annoyed at encountering so many of the same ones. So to punish the game, I leave :P

I always train all the pokemon on my team equally though, otherwise it's a bit silly I think. Later in the game, I'll train up a far lower levelled pokemon in order to get it to evolve, or just because that particular one wasn't available earlier on when I was building my team, and now I want to use it permanently.

When I've beaten the game, I then go on to do all the side quests and at the moment I'm working my way through Pokestar Studios and egg breeding.

Black 2 FC:
    2452 4122 3003

I tend to train all my team members equally, with my starter kept slightly higher in level than the rest. But ever since I played Blue version, I had an issue with catching and training too many different kinds of Poke's I wanted to use, so it would take me a long time to go through the game.
    Black-2 FC: 1034 - 9555 - 8683
    White FC: 5243 - 6137 - 1070

I catch at least one type of every pokemon, usually going the dual-type route such as Water/Electric or Ghost/Dark. I teach them at least one of every type move. (Dark, electric) Don't really care about natures, IV's, breeding, but I cater to the pokemon's stats. Like teaching a Pokemon with a higher special special attack moves, and a pokemon with low speed speed boosting moves and so on. Usually catch as many Pokemon as possible to complete the 'dex. (6-10 being on my main team) I almost never go the "HM slave" route, just teach my main Pokes' moves like Flash and Strength.

I try to cover as many type weaknesses as I can, and to keep everyone on an even level somewhat. Other than that, lower my dome and plow through the game like a Rhydon; level grinding isn't for me. Unless I'm horribly underleveled, which I usually am at some point.

I make sure i have pokemon that have good coverage, have resistances against one another, and they must be 11 levels higher AT LEAST than the trainers around the area, so i never have a problem with gym leaders. i must also have a team that can learn every HM move
    [IMG]http://oi42.*******.com/no61ic.jpg[/IMG]

Credits to FairyWitch for the buttons and Sworn Metalhead for the Userbar!

For the story, I raise my starter and a starter-elemental Pokemon (i.e. Samurott and Chandelure) until the Elite 4. Post game and competitively I raise a balanced team.

I tend to plot my team ahead of time, always using a team of 6 and raising them equally. I don't use HM slaves, instead splitting the "HM Burden," as I call it, among my Pokemon. I generally challenge the E4 while I'm about 7 levels lower than them, since my team can usually down them easily at this point. This, however, bites me in the butt postgame, lol.
        Spoiler:- My Blog and Friend Codes:
    My Shinies:

I take forever choosing my team, but when I know exactly which pokemon I want to use I train them all fairly evenly.

I tend to pick my team solely based on what I feel like training at the moment. I try to get a decent nature and IVs for them, but I'm not that picky for just an ingame team. I just mostly make sure the nature doesn't lower their best stat and that their IVs aren't all below 10 or something. Then I train the thing until I get bored, throw it in the box and repeat the process with something else. Sometimes my team's full, sometimes I only have like three Pokémon in it. I usually try to pick a full team of six by the time I get to the league, but it's not mandatory. I try to keep everyone even-leveled and usually avoid over training, because I like some challenge.

But really, usually I just Nuzlocke, Scramble or Mono my way through. Much more challenging and fun.
    TumblrdeviantArt

"I am not a bad man
    Even though I do bad things
    Very bad things
    Such horrible things"

Current rps
    | TSoAM | CotVK|

Back in the late 90`s, I was all about the even teams, everybody got trained at the same time. In the last 2 gens the designers have made the game so that it is much easier to train AFTER the elite 4. With breeding, fly, and the avenue all coming later in the game, I just pick my starter and blast the main story. I recently picked up Ruby and Leaf green and stuck to only my starter, My mudkip finished the elite 4 at LV 72 and my blastoise finished at LV 78.

For In-Game, I pick my favorites that are easy to obtain. (I would've used Milotic in Sapphire/Emerald, but that thing is hard to get.) I don't really grind or overlevel. People complain about Pokemon being too easy, but when your usually four levels lower than the gym leader's strongest Pokemon, that's not usually an issue. I don't particularly like HM slaves, and I try to incorporate the HM moves into the team's moveset. (Barring ones I'll only need once like Cut. I'll get rid of it once I get to the move deleter.) I care about nature (I am not using a Modest Haxorus,) but not so much about IVs.

I don't care for Nuzlockes. :/
    Shiny Mega Gardevoir thinks his black dress is totally stylish. Shiny Mega Gallade wishes he looked that good. :P

RPer's profile, 3DS Friend Code, and Nintendo Network ID

I tend to keep an open mind - give a new Pokemon a chance (after my first run that is)

I base my teams around my favorite Pokemon, as they always come first. I like to keep the team around equal levels, except for team leader (usually my #1 favorite Pokemon of the region) always in possession of the Lucky Egg, it tends to be 5-7 levels higher - usually the Pokemon falling behind after a while on level, I'll give it the Exp. Share until it catches up. During Pokemon Battles, I tend to give every Pokemon a chance, even if at times they are at type disadvantage.

I like to have fun and take my time - never rushed. I explore every where, talked with every trainer. In the gyms I like to challenge every different trainer. Once I get a new badge and can use the HM (like Surf), I return to the previous areas and surf to grab the various items.

The second time (after buying a new copy of the game, never erasing my old one) - I'll challenge myself and go for a specific theme (types or species of Pokemon, gender, not using items or potions) and try my best to win. For example, already completed White2, so I bought another copy of White2 and I'm playing with an all mustelid team (all 6 Pokemon must be based on weasels or otters).

Slow and Fun is my style of play.
    Last edited by LiepardTrainer; 22nd March 2013 at 3:22 PM.
    Watchog's #1 Fan!!
    PokeMustelid & PokeFelines too!

FC: 4871-3995-3493 - Pokemon Y IGN: Maria
    Steel Safari Pokemon: Magneton Skarmory, and Excadrill

ii do the same

I train my team evenly, never letting one go no higher than maybe 2-5 levels than the rest.

I make sure that I level up my main team five levels every gym. My teams generally vary. I always try to have Pokemon that I like, but I sometimes have to conform to other needs. Like in gen 5, I would have liked to have four grass types on my team, but that would have been impractical, so I took two of them out and put Pokemon I may not have used otherwise. I like planning my teams beforehand so that I can capture them at a good pace, but there's always the occasional random Pokemon that I fall in love with and put on my team. I play the game very slow and talk to everyone and try to experience everything 100%.
    even if we don't understand each other, that's not a reason to reject each other. There are two sides to any argument. Is there one point of view that has all the answers? Give it some thought.
    ^ This is the reason why I like arguing. If I come off as standoffish or overly angry in an argument, don't worry. I'm probably having the time of my life. Whether I agree with them or not, the pokemon fandom has a lot of different opinions, and I love how nobody is afraid to share them.

What I do is pick cute pokemon and train one over 10 levels than the Gym leaders pokemon so it makes that pokemon feel like a leader :3 The other pokemon I train equally if one levels up to 35 while the other is level 32 I spend more time with that pokemon. I honestly don't care about the Elite four it takes the fun out of the game if you just want to beat the Elite four with pokemon you don't even like so I just want to beat the Eliter four with pokemon I do like, for example cute pokemon~ >w<

My playing style is completely OCD- induced, I'm afraid.
    Step 1: Pick the 6 members of the party. They don't have to include a starter.
    Step 2: Hatch and EV train all members. IV are not as important, but I only take the ones with above average or more.
    Step 3: Transfer them to the new game (after first badge).
    Step 4: All members stay in the same level and are rotated in order to the first spot of the party.
    Step 5: Lucky Egg(s) rotate between the party members, so that the ones at the top use them until they level up.
    Step 6: Little to no switching. Every members must stand for themselves, even against type advantages (but against gyms and such, I choose who will battle).

I usually train six Pokémon equally (sometimes more, never less). When I say equally, I get really pernickety about it - I will order my team by who needs the experience most, and always send out the Pokémon who's behind everyone else if they have a good chance of winning. Shift battle style. No battling wild Pokémon for experience. No going into my Bag to use items in battle. No Lucky Egg. No Rare Candies. This puts me at a big level disadvantage in previous games, but in Black 2 it means that I'm never that far behind.
    100% of information in signatures on this forum involving percentages is false. If you feel as cheated by this atrocity as I do, don't you dare copy this into your signature.
    Hold on... if this percentage was correct at the time of print, that means the actual percentage of false information is less than 100% if this signature is included. Which means that... no! I've become a slave to the system!!

I speedrun DS Pokémon games. Currently, I speedrun Pokémon White 2, and I've also ran Pokémon Pearl in the past. If you want to see Pokémon games pushed to their limits (or if you want to do so yourself!), check out the Pokémon Speedruns website, and if you want to watch me, catch me on my Twitch channel.

My style of play is probably fairly different to everyone here, as my style comes from 1998 to 2000 with the original Red. I haven't really played Pokemon ever since then, but I figured I'd check out Black for some nostalgia and cause it was a fun game back in the day.

So my style of play is to create a balanced team that can face any Pokemon that's thrown at them. I use the starter pokemon as my basis (originally charmanda, now it's tepig). This is the pokemon that's definitely going to be in my team. I then work out what types the starter is effective against and then I slowly work my through the list for all the other pokemon. I desperately try to get my pokemon down to a core 5. The reason for this is I want to include a rattata (or patrat in Black) because who the heck uses a rattata? It's my funny pokemon that turns out to be more effective then you'd originally think. The problem with that is I always struggle to get the list down to 5 pokemon. I'm normally stuck at 6. As such the pokemon in my party can change at any given moment if it means I'll get the chance of having a rattata/patrat in the party (with the exception of the starter who must remain in my party until the end).

I also really like the ability of the lillipup. Picking up random items is pretty damn useful.

I don't do any of this IV/EV training business. Mostly because I don't really understand it, but also because it sounds like a lot of work and fiddling around. I'm interested in collecting all 152 err.. that is 649 pokemon. That sounds like a hard enough job without trying to get flawless pokemon.

As for training them. It never even occurred to me to just max out a single pokemon and try to blast my way through the game before reading this thread. As such, I train them up equally. I do tire of grinding pretty quickly, so I largely just fight the trainers and enough pokemon to catch all of the ones in a particular area. Then I try to move onto the Gym as soon as possible (only grinding if I just can't beat the gym leader with my current team).
    Last edited by JohnLynch; 5th April 2013 at 1:23 PM.
    Black FC: 5373 0752 0865

Pokemon Black Team

Depending on if I like the starters, I either do a full starter-only run, or transfer an egg of a favorite pokemon over and hatch it in the starting town with that.

I generally try to do solo runs, unless the regional dex offers the whole team I'm currently planning.

I never rush in any of the Pokemon Gen Games. I usually make my team balanced and train them all the same level at the same time. My team is usually of different types. My fav combination is the following:

Fire
    Water
    Electric
    Ground
    Grass
    Ghost/Phychic

Black Team:

HeartGold Team:

Train my team evenly and give them characters and nicknames. At the moment I'm rotating in W2 and it's fun. Also I use an even number of Pokemon like the gym leader, to make it a little bit harder.
    Pardon my grammar, I'm a young Dutchman.

I train my team evenly, but don't give them status moves ( need to do that) and battle only with the pokemon i like ( so usually not my starter)

Back when I played Red, I only focused on my starter and maybe trained 1-2 others. Now I try to have an even team. I always want thme to be at the same level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poke's4Ever View Post
    Now I usually have a target for my Pokemon to reach, like when one gets to level 30, for example, I train another, and then another, and another until all are level 30 and then I re-use the one I started with and give a new target.
    That's pretty much the method I use.

Button by WereDragn
    Looking for Feedback (no registration required)
    (oh yeah, if you didn't know, my PM box is still full...)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast