Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: The good old days... [Emerald RMT]

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    803

    Default The good old days... [Emerald RMT]

    Good afternoon everyone.

    Yesterday I decided to become more active on the Serebiiforums, more specifically, the third generation RMT section. Having done my first rate in ages yesterday, I felt that today, in order to get to know this generation again, I should create a team myself. And that I did. I must say that I didn't put too much time into this, but I didn't have to. The first drafts for a team like this were made quite some time ago, so I didn't have to start from scratch. The synergy is decent, not the best, but good enough. The Pokémon are not, at least I hope so, the Pokémon one generally uses during a playthrough of the game.
    Then, in the hopes of this not being only a showoff but also a team that can teach something, I'll post the teambuilding process at the bottom, so that you may see how I decided on the various team members.
    As far as rating goes, you may, quite literally, suggest anything. I have acces to all TM's, nearly all Pokémon (save Huntail, whom I have listed as owned in my dex, but only because of a trade, Mew, Jirachi, Deoxys and Celebi) and legendaries (since I won't be able to get them with the nature I want, and neither do I want to use them). Asides from that, everything is possible.

    Now, onto the team:




    Zangoose
    Jolly @ Immunity
    ~ Swords Dance
    ~ Return
    ~ Brick Break
    ~ Shadow Ball

    Zangoose is one of those Pokémon I've been wanting to use for a long, long time and was therefore the Pokémon I built this team around. It was also for a long time the only Pokémon missing from my Hoenn dex since I didn't know anybody with Ruby at the time. Seriously, being at 199/200 s*cks quite a bit, especially when you know that there's nothing you can do about it. Anyway, stats are not overly amazing, but combined with the movepool it has, the combination of the two make for a great physical sweeper. Everything here should be self-explanatory. Speed boosting nature, setup move and STAB + coverage to round this off. Not much to say besides that.




    Alakazam
    Timid @ Synchronise
    ~ Psychic
    ~ Fire Punch
    ~ Ice Punch
    ~ Thunderpunch

    Alakazam has almost the same story as Zangoose, except that it's stats are quite high. The other advantage of Alakazam, at least in this generation, is that the elemental punches are still special, so Alakazam can make good use of them. Psychic is for STAB, elemental punches for coverage.




    Hitmontop
    Careful @ Intimidate
    ~ Bulk Up
    ~ Brick Break
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Rock Slide

    Though I myself am not much of a dancer, this guy probably is. Or at least he can spin on his head. Careful nature to boost the already quite high Special Defence, Bulk Up boosts Attack and Defence from decent to great. Hitmontop is not overly fast, but has got some bulk and a nice attack stat with which it can sweep. Moveset is STAB + QuakEdge, hitting almost every Pokémon in the game for at least neutral damage.




    Houndoom
    Hasty @ Flash Fire
    ~ Flamethrower
    ~ Crunch
    ~ Return
    ~ Will-O-Wisp

    One of the few decent Fire types in the third generation (others being Blaziken and Charizard). Double STAB and Return for coverage. Hasty has been picked over Timid so that I don't lower my attack. Will-O-Wisp burns the opponent, cutting their Attack and draining their Hit Points. Flash Fire for added resistance.




    Swellow
    Adamant @ Guts
    ~ Return
    ~ Aerial Ace
    ~ Steel Wing
    ~ Fly

    I had a Swellow on my team on my original playthrough of Emerald, but I accidentaly deleted it whilst exploiting the cloning glitch. Hence his presence on this team, in memory of my former Swellow. Adamant nature since Swellow is fast enough without boosting his Speed. Return and Aerial Ace are STAB, Steel Wing for coverage and Fly as a filler and means of transportation.




    Lanturn
    Modest @ Volt Aborb
    ~ Surf
    ~ Thunderbolt
    ~ Ice Beam
    ~ Thunder Wave

    Originally I had Manectric here, but Lanturn has got a better movepool, more resistances and, most important, acces to Surf. Modest to boost Special Attack, double STAB and Ice Beam for coverage. Thunder Wave to slow down the opponent, allowing Lanturn to possibly hit first.


    Now that the team is done, for some more rambling from my part. I quite enjoyed creating this team and I will also create this team in-game, though not for a few weeks, so that you may rate and I may alter movesets and the like.
    And now, as promised, the team building process. I will put this in a spoiler, so that those of you who don't with to look through it all can just skip it, and those wanting to take a look can do so quite easily.


        Spoiler:- Teambuilding process:


    Whow, now this has been one lengthy post. All that is left for me to say is that I hope to receive some good and constructive rates, that I wish to help other people at becoming better raters themself via the included team building process and that I most certainly hope that I'll stay active here for longer than a week time.

    ~ Emeraldfan signing off.

    PS. A cookie for whoever knows what the title of this RMT is based upon.

    Credit for the pictures goes to pokemon.neoseeker, bulbapedia, chanarchive and pokemon.supercheats.
    Last edited by Emeraldfan; 23rd March 2013 at 9:43 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Kanto/Johto
    Posts
    602

    Default

    Houndoom; Replace return with Nasty Plot, no special split yet so you could take advantage of boosting some stuff anyways.

    Alakazam
    -Psychic
    -Thunderpunch/Fire Punch/Ice Punch
    -Future Sight
    -Brick Break

    Lantern; Give her hidden power in place of thunder wave.
    All credit for this banner goes to Red's Mount Silver Art Shop at Bulbagarden

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ((JAWS)) View Post
    Houndoom; Replace return with Nasty Plot, no special split yet so you could take advantage of boosting some stuff anyways.
    Gen 4 move.

    The only change I'd recommend is Hitmontop's nature. I'm not really convinced that you'd see much effect from Careful... I'd be inclined to go the way of Adamant. It's Special Defense is already pretty darn high, while its attack is only a bit above average; the extra power from Adamant would be a bit more noticeable in-game than a little extra special bulk, imo. Though this is more based on feeling than hard math, so take it with a grain of salt.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Im on the highway tah hell!
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco

    The only change I'd recommend is Hitmontop's nature. I'm not really convinced that you'd see much effect from Careful... I'd be inclined to go the way of Adamant. It's Special Defense is already pretty darn high, while its attack is only a bit above average; the extra power from Adamant would be a bit more noticeable in-game than a little extra special bulk, imo. Though this is more based on feeling than hard math, so take it with a grain of salt.
    This is such a hard decision to do xD

    While Careful Nature makes Hitmontop a nearly invincible wall that have such a power, its Atk isnt great, meaning he will have to use Bulk Up more times than its needed. Though, that heavily depends of what he wants. If Hitmontop is supposed to wall everything and anything, then i suggest Impish>>>Careful Nature, because his Defense Stat, leaves a bit to be desired. The lack in both Atk and Defense can be solved by the use of Bulk Up, though, so when you see...
    All in all, its your choice, but i agree with Draco. Its not THAT of a big problem, your Set is perfect already.

    Also, that is the only "thing" i can see, so far. I dont see anymore problems...there is none, actually.

    Also, its nice to see you again, Emerald. We havent talked, and you probably does not remember me, but i do remember you. Yes, its nice have you back!
    Welcome back, Emerald! ^^
    Last edited by Ana_Julía; 24th March 2013 at 8:46 AM.
    The Black Mages!

    Thanks to Flower Paradise Graphics for the awesome Banner and the Profile Picture!


    Quote Originally Posted by TanBun View Post
    No. i don't nickname them. looks idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Blockhead View Post
    You've GOT to nickname your Pokemon. They're your bros. In arms. In combat. In friendship.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ((JAWS)) View Post
    Houndoom; Replace return with Nasty Plot, no special split yet so you could take advantage of boosting some stuff anyways.

    Alakazam
    -Psychic
    -Thunderpunch/Fire Punch/Ice Punch
    -Future Sight
    -Brick Break

    Lantern; Give her hidden power in place of thunder wave.
    I regret to say that this rate isn't all that great...
    Nasty Plot is indeed a move that was introduced in Gen IV, so I can't get it in Gen III.
    Future sight only has 80 power and 90 accuracy. It's really just a poor man's Psychic. Brick Break is a physical move and it has been that way ever since the move was first released. I fail to see how Alakazam, who has a base attack stat of 50, profits from this move.
    As for Lanturn, I don't need Hidden Power. The three moves that are on the set already provide me near perfect coverage, only failing to hit Shedinja. Thunder Wave helps the team more than the little bit of coverage Hidden Power might provide. That being said, you haven't actually suggested a Hidden Power [Type], so I don't really know what to think of the suggestion. And lastly, I don't have the patience to breed for a specific Hidden Power, which I probably should have mentioned in the OP. I'll do that now.
    Then ((JAWS)) for a bit of friendly advice. If you want to rate something, I suggest you take a look at the Pokémon's stats and his movepool and of course whether moves are special or physical. By doing that you can greatly improve your rates, as you'll be less likely to suggest physical moves on a special sweeper and vice versa.


    Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    Gen 4 move.

    The only change I'd recommend is Hitmontop's nature. I'm not really convinced that you'd see much effect from Careful... I'd be inclined to go the way of Adamant. It's Special Defense is already pretty darn high, while its attack is only a bit above average; the extra power from Adamant would be a bit more noticeable in-game than a little extra special bulk, imo. Though this is more based on feeling than hard math, so take it with a grain of salt.
    Right you are, it is a gen IV move.
    I'll take the nature advice into account. I decided to go with Careful, which wasn't really my first choice, convinced that a more bulkier Pokémon might help my team. What I might do is breed both a Careful and an Adamant Tyrogue, train them both and then compare how well they work within the team. I agree that the Special Defence is quite high already, but instead of that making me more inclined to go with Adamant to boost Speed, I saw this, combined with Bulk Up and Intimidate, as an opportunity for a more defensive Pokémon. But as said, I'll probably breed both and then compare.
    Thanks for the rate.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ana_Julía View Post
    This is such a hard decision to do xD

    While Careful Nature makes Hitmontop a nearly invincible wall that have such a power, its Atk isnt great, meaning he will have to use Bulk Up more times than its needed. Though, that heavily depends of what he wants. If Hitmontop is supposed to wall everything and anything, then i suggest Impish>>>Careful Nature, because his Defense Stat, leaves a bit to be desired. The lack in both Atk and Defense can be solved by the use of Bulk Up, though, so when you see...
    All in all, its your choice, but i agree with Draco. Its not THAT of a big problem, your Set is perfect already.

    Also, that is the only "thing" i can see, so far. I dont see anymore problems...there is none, actually.

    Also, its nice to see you again, Emerald. We havent talked, and you probably does not remember me, but i do remember you. Yes, its nice have you back!
    Welcome back, Emerald! ^^
    As for the nature dillema, I suggest you look at my response to Draco's suggestion.
    Now, you might be surprised, but I do actually remember you, you were around when I previously rated both here and in the gen IV subforum. That, and the English you use, which is not exactly native material (I hope you don't take offence to this, I don't mean to offend you). So yeah, I do 'know' you.
    And thank you for the welcome back.
    Last edited by Emeraldfan; 24th March 2013 at 10:35 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •