View Poll Results: Kanto Starters vs Hoenn Starters

Voters
225. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hoenn Starters (Treeko, Mudkip, Torchic)

140 62.22%
  • Kanto Starters (Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle)

85 37.78%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoenn Starters vs Kanto Starters?

Default Hoenn Starters vs Kanto Starters?

The title is kind of stating it right here. Lets compare and contrast.

A note before you post here:
    Remember that this forum is for discussion of older gens, so please keep references to gen 5 and 6 additions to the starters minimal. Your post should NOT be about how one starter is better than the other because of its Hidden Ability or Mega Evolution!
    A simple mention is okay ("Also, I like Mega ___"), but don't make it the focus of your comparison.

Also, explain your reasoning a bit. Only posting something like "Charizard > Blaziken" is spam

Blastoise and Swampert
    This is a tough one and I know many of you will say Swampert. Unfortunately for Kanto it will be Swampert and for me it is Swampert. No one uses Grass types really so it makes Swampert practically invincible in all the regions. Plus ice beam.

Sceptile and Venusaur
    I've used both plenty of times and this one definitely is also tough. My Sceptile was really meh at the begining but once I migrated it to future generations it became a boss. My bulbusaur however was easy to train, and became strong very quickly if you knew what you were doing. For me hands down Venusaur, for the simple reason it learns cooler grass moves than sceptile. Sceptile does not learn Giga Drain at all. (disappointing)

Blaziken and Charizard
    This is the hardest choice of my life right here it's like choosing between my kids haha. Blaziken is amazing but so is Charizard. When it comes right down to it they are evenly matched. Charizard is weak to Rock, Electricity and Water while Blaziken is weak to Flying, Rock, Ground, Water, and Psychic. Blaziken has a huge disadvantage there on weaknesses. Charizard could use an easy aerial ace and KO Blaziken dead. Blaziken really can't avoid that either which is disappointing.. Blaziken could use rock slide but so could Charizard. In the end Charizard won here. Blaziken isn't as amazing as hyped to be... Charizard could KO it anyday.
    Last edited by Aquarelle; 2nd November 2014 at 1:07 AM. Reason: needed to clarify a few things
    All credit for this banner goes to Red's Mount Silver Art Shop at Bulbagarden

Swampert over Blastiose.
    I've never really liked Blastiose persay, and while a great rapid spinner, Swampert does his job as a bulky water way better.
    And his design looks amazing.

Sceptile over Venasaur.
    Out of all of these, this was the hardest one.
    Sceptile has a great look to him, not to mention his unburden flying gem acrobatics set is amazing.
    I have great memories of playing through LG with him, but his lack of immediate power was... dissapointing.

Blaziken over Charizard.
    I hate charizard.
    And Blaziken can defeat Charizard very easily.

Turn 1.
    Blaziken Used protect!
    Charizard uses Aerial ace, whatever flying type move you want.
    Blaziken protected its self!
    Blaziken's speed rose with Speed boost!

Blaziken used Rock slide/Stone edge!
    Its super effective! Charizard fainted!
    [img]http://i41.*******.com/2m2fivq.png[/img]
    Lovely Art by Equal-to-Heaven
    Join the Pokemon Anime Style Battling League!
    |PASBL|FB|Manga|A little something to watch|Art|
    [img]http://i42.*******.com/2lw4umr.gif[/img]

Blastoise vs. Swampert
    They are both good Pokemon in their own rights. Blastoise is defensive and swampert is a bit more offensive. Both are good in terms of design BUT overall i think i can pick a winner. I choose Swampert as hes easier to use in my opinion and hes ground type also.

Venusaur vs. Sceptile
    I used them both and i love them both, that much i have them in shiny form. But in battling terms i really dont think their equal. While Venusaur has good special stats and looks quite cool. But Sceptile has great sp.atk and is alot faster and is VERY 'cool' looking. But while i like Venusaur more, I must say Sceptile is a better battler.

Charizard vs. Blaziken
    The first fire/fighting starter vs. the first fire starter. While Blaziken is a good pokemon and adored by many fans of pokemon, in my opinion Blaziken just comes up short with Charizard. Because Charizard is good, not excellent but good. Almost everybody loves him and to be honest hes my favorite Pokemon outside the Turtwig line. And flying beats fighting too....
    My Shiny Pokemon:

5th Gen:
    ;Emolga; ;Solosis;

6th Gen:
    Greninja ;Volcarona; (X2) Aegislash ;Lampent; Diggersby

Luvin' the t'wigs <3
    3DS fc: Paddy 2621-3316-5077 (Pm if you add me)

Venusaur VS. Sceptile

Though I love the Treecko family, Bulbasaur just has to win this one for me. Bulbasaur was my first Pokemon EVER, and despite what the rest of you may have said, Venusaur has greater overall capabilities. Under sun, Chlorophyll Venusaur is a monster. And with its Poison typing, it could easily beat Sceptile in a fight. Plus, you've gotta admit it, Sceptile doesn't exactly have the greatest level-up movepool in the world. While I will agree that Sceptile is really cool, Venusaur just has to win this. It's my third favorite Pokemon and second favorite Grass-type for a reason.

Charizard VS. Blaziken

Sorry for more bias, but I just can't stand Charizard. Just... ugh. Genwunners have ruined my opinion of it forever. And either way, Blaziken is stronger, faster, and has a far cooler design. I used one in an Emerald nuzlocke, and he's gotten me out of more tough spots than you could ever imagine. Blaziken wins this hands down.

Swampert VS. Blastoise

I really like both of these lines in terms of design - A giant tortoise with artillery cannons on its back? AWESOME. An overgrown axolotl that can shake the very earth? AWESOME. But Swampert just barely wins this one for me due to its better stats. Though Blastoise's defenses are pretty good, its offensive stats are rather lackluster. And I've always just preferred offensive/balanced Pokemon as a whole. So, though its pretty close, I'd have to go with Swmapert.

Back from a very long hiatus. Signature and other things under construction! My friend code is 3496-9664-6228, and my friend safari contains Slugma, Growlithe, and Braixen.

Spoiler:- Shinies and credits:

Venasaur Vs. Sceptile
    To me, its Venasaur hands down. It works very well with its poison type, and it's bulky. It also has dream world chlorophyll, which makes it even stronger. It's also one of my favorite lines in general, so I'm biased.

Swampert Vs. Blastoise
    Going to have to go with Swampert. Blastoise just doesn't have a whole lot of unique qualities. It can rapid spin, but other than that... it's just another plain water type. Swampert is unique among all the ground/water types. It has pretty nice stats and a good movepool, and it's just a fun Pokemon to use. I also prefer Swampert's design overall.

Blaziken Vs. Charizard.
    I've always loved the Blaziken line. It has an awesome movepool, awesome design, and it's just a Pokemon with possibilities. Charizard just doesn't quite compete. It has a 4x weakness to rock, and it just doesn't have anything that makes it that great. It's stats aren't that great either, it's just kind of... there. I know a lot of people hate/love Charizard, but I'm honestly very indifferent to it in-game. It was cool in the anime, but I've never had any real need to train one. Even as a child, I just wasn't impressed. Blaziken is just... superior even if it has a type disadvantage.
    even if we don't understand each other, that's not a reason to reject each other. There are two sides to any argument. Is there one point of view that has all the answers? Give it some thought.
    ^ This is the reason why I like arguing. If I come off as standoffish or overly angry in an argument, don't worry. I'm probably having the time of my life. Whether I agree with them or not, the pokemon fandom has a lot of different opinions, and I love how nobody is afraid to share them.

I choose the Hoenn starters, mostly because:

1.) the Treecko line is awesome and Swampert is decent.
    2.) Kanto has Venusaur who happens to be a cool Pokémon, but it also has Charizard and I heavily dislike it.

To be honest, I don't like neither of these "starter packs" that much, Johto and Sinnoh had much better starters.

Accidentally voted for the Kanto starters. >__> I meant to vote Hoenn.

Though I prefer the starters from Johto, Sinnoh and Unova over both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by duh View Post
    Accidentally voted for the Kanto starters. >__> I meant to vote Hoenn.

Though I prefer the starters from Johto, Sinnoh and Unova over both of them.
    Since I prefer the Kanto starters I voted Hoenn as if it was you doing it. :P

I love Hoenn so much, but I have to say, I'm not crazy about Torchic's second or final evolution so it has to go the Kanto starters. I literally can't flaw a single one of them, visually. And that's usually what I go for, so yeah.
    [IMG]http://oi48.*******.com/30rslyh.jpg[/IMG]

i like charmander the most, but charizard is in a close second with blaziken
    Thanks to FairyWitch for the profile pic!

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

National Dex Completed 2/13/2014, at 12:12 A.M., with 212:16 Game Time, and thanks to my friends who traded me over 200 times that week

I like the Hoenn starters better overall compared to the Kanto starters. My favorite is probably a tie between Torchic and Treecko, but, for gyms, it's hard to raise Treecko. Sceptile has an amazing moveset in later generations though. Blaziken just looks cool and has a good typing, despite the fact that the next 2 fire type starters have a fighting type.... *cough*iffennekinisfire/fighting.....*cough*
    Xbox Gamertag: iDeadlyPanda|3DS FC: 0602-6674-5548 |NNID: ThePandaMan |Twitter

Claimed: Chrom from the Fire Emblem Series and Pokémon X
    Claimed Pokémon:

Spoiler:- Claimed Anime Songs/Anime List:

HAHAHA! dude, thats funny. i actually dont mind it, but they need to do another fire/flying, like charizard.
    Thanks to FairyWitch for the profile pic!

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

National Dex Completed 2/13/2014, at 12:12 A.M., with 212:16 Game Time, and thanks to my friends who traded me over 200 times that week

The Kanto and Hoenn are probably both my favourite starter Pokemon out of all the regions. Both Mudkip and Charizard are in my dream team, however I do pick the Kanto starters over the Hoenn, simply because I'm not a fan of the evolved forms of the Hoenn starters, and I think it was easier to raise each of the Kanto starters than the Hoenn ones. I found that the Kanto ones were stronger too.

I prefer Hoenn because since I was 7 or 8 I loved it because it seemed soooo..colorful and just felt like Summer everyday to me

Besides that i prefer May <;;

Overall, I like the Hoenn starters better. I find all of them really useful, both for in-game battles and more serious battling. As for the Kanto starters, I really like Venusaur but I don't like Charizard or Blastoise that much.
    We both break free if we make it on top
    If one should fall we both will drop

We move together from here on out
    What you need is what I'm about

Ack, why? Why would you make me choose between two sets of my favorite starters? T.T

Hoenn is so awesome but... Kanto. I'm not a fan of Sceptile. Swampert is really cool and all and Blaziken is a boss. However, Bulbasaur is the only Poison type starter ever. Bulbasaur is super adorable and probably my favorite starter to date. Ivysaur is super cool looking. And Venasaur is... lovable... in a "Imma warty toad lookin thing" kinda way. Charmander is the starter with the most popularity but he dwarves it the least, so that's a con. But then there's the glory of Squirtle. Adorable first form, awesome looking second form and totally badass final evo. Let's not forget the awesomeness that was the Squirtle squad either.

Tis kind of difficult...

Kanto starters, I love them all.
    Hoenn starters, I liek only mudkipzz.
    So Kanto trio = Hoenn trio
    But I voted for Hoenn. Mudkipz and Swampert rule.
    X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037

Wee... Poison slide at my gym...

Pokegyms Fairy Leader

Credit to Astral Shadow for the userbar and Kida-Ookami for the badge.

I think they're both equal because both have their own advantages and disadvantages.

Even if Swampert and Blaziken are awesome, they are balanced out with qually awesome Charizard and Blastoise.

Spoiler:- Credits::

- please excuse my shoddy syntax for some reason I don't know.

For water types I'll go with Swampert. Blastoise is not that appealing to me <.> I like Swamperts design.

Fire starter... I go with the classic Charizard. Mostly because I likey dragons XD Even though Blaziken comes close to it >.>

And Grass... I can't choose actually, I love Grass types and both Sceptile and Venusaur are my top favorite. P: ;^;
    3DS: 1779-0094-0137

Credit to Sworn Metalhead

I prefer the Kanto Starters over the Hoenn ones. I mean I think Charizard and Blaziken are practically tied as my favorite fully-evolved Fire Starters, but I prefer Venusaur over Sceptile and Blastoise over Swampert. I'm not sure whether it's because of nostalgia, but that's just how I view the two groups of Pokemon.

Kanto starters all the way. Blaziken was kinda cool but I really didn't care for Swampert or Sceptile.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead for the awesome banner!

That's a though decision but overall I have to say the Hoenn starters were better than those of Kanto. Although my fave starter from those six is Charizard, just sayin'
    - Nate the

This is a real tough one, but I'll have to go with Hoenn. As far as Kanto's concerned, they're classic and I love each of them, but I don't care much for Blastoise and Venusaur. Playing the underdog, Ash-inspired teams that I do, I hardly ever evolve my Bulbasaur or Wartortle. Now, with Hoenn starters, I love every one of them and every part of their line. When I don't evolve them all the way, it's because I already have too many Swampert/Sceptile/Blaziken, or I want a challenge. (I actually have five Blaziken right now, all above level 60 with different movesets haha). Plus, Sceptile is on a level with Togekiss for being my favorite pokemon ever.

Alpha Sapphire Team

Blazikan is the only starter to be in Ubers, and Swampert is also very good in OU. The Kanto starters however suck, Venusaur is rarely even seen anymore due to the dominance of rain teams. The others aren't even worth mentioning.

I love the Kanto starters, especially Charizard. Hoenn starters are cool too but Charizard is my all time favorite. I don't care if he isn't good competitively, as I say who gives a flip

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast