View Poll Results: Kanto Starters vs Hoenn Starters

Voters
209. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hoenn Starters (Treeko, Mudkip, Torchic)

131 62.68%
  • Kanto Starters (Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle)

78 37.32%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hoenn Starters vs Kanto Starters?

I like both groups of starters a whole lot but I would have to go with the hoenn ones. I like all of their final forms (especially Blaziken) and all of the starters themselves I think have really good designs. The Kanto starters are pretty cool too, but I really don't understand why Charizard is so overrated. If it were a Fire/Dragon with Levitate it would be a different story, but it's not, so I think I'll stick with Venusaur for now, thank you very much.

~ashiemore
    I really need something to put here.

Hoenn starters as far as 3rd Gen goes. Kanto starters weren't so great in 3rd Gen.

I like Hoenn starts better. I love all the starters while I'm not really a Venasaur fan

Hoenn Starters. Kanto Starters are fine but not as good as Hoenn's. I like all of the Starters from Gen 3 and Gen 1. But like I said, Hoenn is better and, in my opinion, the Best Starters.
    *Insert Some Cool Image Here*

I don't really like any of the Kanto/Hoenn starters except Blaziken, tbh.

Xx|Divinity|xX

I'm basing this solely on appearances, but without a doubt, Kanto starters...

It's not just one of those biases from growing up with the original pokemon (no video games though, just the anime), I just don't think any of the Hoenn starters look good, and I like all 3 of the Kanto starters. The entire Hoenn generation (IMO) is just filled with horrible looking pokemon x.X With exceptions like Altaria, Aggron, Metagross, and Swellow...

But Hoenn is the only generation where I really don't like any of the starters. Mudkip is okay, Swamperts kind of meh. But even Gen 5 has Serperior who's at least decent looking.

Like I said, I'm basing my choice entirely on looks, so maybe in terms of stats/battles, Hoenn dominates Kanto. But otherwise, congratulations, Hoenn, on being the only generation to not have at least one starter I can at least somewhat appreciate (at least until the evos are revealed, even Gen 6 has Fennekin who's decent looking).
    ★★Click the card to see my complete shiny card!★★

Current Shiny Hunts
    Axew, Aron, Boldore!; Black 2 (Mistralton Cave): 4,700 REs
    Scyther; Platinum (Route 210 North): 3,100 REs (+32,282 REs = 4 Phases)
    HeartGold Badge Quest (#14) (Azalea Town) - Heracross: 1 HBs (+4,783 HBs = 2 Phases)
    HEARTGOLD BADGE QUEST:
    JOHTO HALF:
    KANTO HALF:

Well I love the kanto starters, especially charizard (which is why it's my avatar :P)! Charizard may be "overrated" or whatnot, but I just like it because I do, not because it's popular or anything. It's my favorite pokemon to train/battle with (as pikachu is my favorite pokemon but it's stats are really bad, sadly...especially when I don't like to evolve it since I love pikas so much :P). And Charmander is actually my third favorite pokemon of all! Although actually, I would say that kanto/hoenn starter line wise, after charizard I like blaziken and then sceptile the best, then blastoise then swampert then venusaur....but I really do like them all to some extent, really (and not that it's relevent but I also really like all the johto starters too, particularly totodile and cyndaquil- you could say I'm a "starter" person...unevolved starters make up 7 of the rest of my top ten favs after pika and charizard lol...aipom is in there too though, but that's even more irrelevent to this thread).
    Last edited by Pikafleg; 15th June 2013 at 3:53 PM.
    Hi I am back and hopefully really will be active again! LOVING XY so much but there really isn't even a point of saying I love it since it is just....arceus. Yeah. Anyways, my 3DS friend code is 0688 5572 5678 if anyone wants to battle or register me!
    Friend Safari: Slugma, Growlithe, Braixen

Very difficult decision, but in my opinion:

Swampert beats Blastoise. I love Blastoise but Swampert is extremely versatile due to th Water-Ground combination.

Sceptile beats Venusaur. This is really down to personal preference - I've never really liked Venusaur much, as opposed to Sceptile, who is one of my favourites. In a battle, I haven't much experience with Venusaur so its hard for me to say.

Charizard beats Blaziken. Another tough choice but Charizard could beat Blaziken easier than Blaziken could beat Charizard (just), Blaziken has even more weaknesses and I love Charizard - he is easily my favourite starter of all time.

In terms of their unevolved forms, I think that:

Squirtle > Mudkip
    Bulbasaur < Treecko
    Charmander > Torchic

Grass Starters:
    Completely different in terms of appearance and play style. Venasaur is a four-legged dinosaur while Sceptile is a bipedal one. Venasaur is defensive while Sceptile is offensive. AlthoughVenasaur has a very unique design and is one of my favorites out there, I have to say that I favor Sceptile [B]much[B] more. I've always liked Sceptile's design as a cross between a leaf-tailed gecko and dinosaur. Not to mention that cool look it has in its eyes. Besides, it's a fast and fun Pokemon to use with a fairly large movepool.

Fire Starters:
    Charizard and Blaziken are probably some of the most liked starters out there. Whenever someone mentions fire types, these two are bound to be heard. Charizard may appear to be a typical dragon with a flame on its tail, but that certainly doesn't mean that it doesn't deserve the praise it gets. Blaziken is an unexpected take on your typical chicken and comes off as one of the most awesome Pokemon out there. Honestly, I feel that Charizard is slightly cooler, but Blaziken is more unique and original, so I'll just call it a tie.

Water Starters:
    Blastoise and Swampert both have the honor of being my first starters in their respective generations. I've always liked Water types, and these two are an example of why I do. Blastoise is the most defensive starter yet and was the best Kanto starter until Gen 5 (probably why Gary said he chose "the best [starter]"). Even though I do like Swampert, I feel that Blastoise is a very interesting Pokemon, considering it's cross between a turtle and tank.

Overall:

I honestly really like both groups of starters, but I feel that Hoenn is the more unique of the two. Kanto's starters are more memorable, but I feel that Hoenn's are slightly better.

It's a bit of a tough one, but I'd probably have to vote for Hoenn. Blastoise is cool, but Blaziken and Swampert beat out Charizard and Venusaur for me anyday.

-cough- However I prefer the Sinnoh starters over both of them~
    [IMG]http://i39.*******.com/30nc01x.png[/IMG]

PASBL
    | Clock shop on Hiatus | Tumblr
    [IMG]http://i41.*******.com/swtmiw.gif[/IMG]
        Spoiler:- Ding Ding Sparkle Sparkle:

Definitely Hoenn starters for me. First of all, Venusaur vs Sceptile. I think Sceptile is better. While Sceptile is fragile as hell, it is very fast and has a good movepool. Venusaur lacks a good grass move in 3rd gen (apart from Solarbeam), Sceptile gets both Leaf Blade and Giga Drain as level up moves (it has to stay in Treecko form until lvl 46 for Giga Drain though). Sceptile also gets False Swipe, Thunderpunch, Dragon Claw, Crunch, and several other offensive moves so has much more coverage. Venusaurs Sludge Bomb just lacks in coverage.

Charizard vs Blaziken is tricky. Blaziken has better attack and Sp.Atk stats but Charizard gets better speed. They both get good coverage moves, stat boosting moves, and good STAB moves. I think they're fairly tied, although Charizards immunity to Earthquake is really useful (although it pays for it an electric weakness, which is often fatal for it as everything carries Thunderbolt).

Blastoise vs Swampert is easily won by Swampert. There isn't really anything that Blastoise can do that Swampert can't also do (except spinning I guess). Both get Counter and Mirror Coat, both get Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Earthquake, and so on, but Swampert has a large edge in the secondary Ground typing that grants it Electric immunity and a rock resistance. Extra STAB on Earthquake also helps tremendously against Metagross, and in alround stats it is very reliable.
    Master balls are the cheapest thing ever invented. It's more fun catching everything with balls that can fail. 'caught Latios in the wild without master ball ftw'

I prefer the Kanto starters.

Sceptile > Venusaur
    Charizard > Blaziken
    Blastoise > Swampert

For me

Blastoise > Swampert (I love turtles)
    Blaziken > Charizard (Charizard is overrated)
    Sceptile > Venusaur (Sceptile is just so chill)

If you rooted for Dawn during A Grand Fight For Winning even though you knew she'd lose, then copy and paste this in your signature.

I like both but i have to go with the kanto starters
    Blastiose over swampert
    Charizard over blazekin
    And i like scepitile and venusaur equally.
    I love every Pokemon!

Well, in my opinion, Kanto starters are my favourite. "Old but gold" I must say, because they are the original one. Plus, Charizard is pretty sick!

So, Kanto starters > Hoenn starters

Kanto starters. Only Hoenn starter I like is Torchic (well, Treecko is cute but I don't really like Sceptile) and I just think that the design of Kanto starters is way more better. All of the Kanto starters are pretty good and Charizard is one of the better Pokémon in the 3rd Gen (or so I have believed...). But if we talk about Johto starters, oh, THOSE are my total favourites, but when you have to choose either Hoenn or Kanto starters, I definitely say Kanto.

Kanto starters are the best ones.
    Black FC 4943 7510 6125
    Please visit my trade shop! ~

If you're comparing Pokemon in Gen III, I would prefer Sceptile, Charizard and Blastoise. If comparing in gen IV or V, then Venusaur, Blaziken and Swampert, because Sludge Bomb becomes a Sp.Att. so Venusaur finally can use its Sp.Att. stat for something other than grass moves. Blaziken gains Speed Boost in Gen V, and Swampert gets Physical Water Attacks.

Hoenn has the badest starters imo. So Kanto.
    3DS Friend Code: 5069-4585-1055
    SV: 1845
    Flying-type (Tropius, Farfetch'd and Swanna)

Personally I don't really like ethier one of Bulbasaur-family or Treecko-family, so it's a draw between them (Bulba & co if I must choose).
    Charmander-family vs Torchic-family is a close one since I like both, but if I need to choose I'll take the Charmander-family.
    And last but not least Squirtle-family vs Mudkip-family is definitely a win for Squirtle.
    So my vote goes to the Kanto starters!

Dang, I was expecting Hoenn to be losing miserably. Guess that's what happens when you go on a real Pokemon forum and not a Facebook page or something.

Anyway, I did vote for the Hoenn starters, simply for the reason that I think their designs are superior, and by that I mean that I love nearly every single Pokemon in all three of the lines. That isn't to say that I hate the Kanto starters though, aside from Squirtle, Wartortle and Venusaur, I think all of their designs are pretty cool. Hoenn is just superior, with Marshtomp being the only real clunker.

Apparently my spirit Pokemon is

I prefer the Hoenn starters over the Kanto starters, just because I had an easier time beating the game with them.
    Tonight, I wanna dance with someone else ~

I prefer all three Hoenn starters over the three Kanto starters, because I like their designs more.

I'd have to say I love the Hoenn starters more then Kanto.Though my first time playing Pokemon ever,was in the Kanto region.
    As for which are better.
    Swampert>Blastoise
    I choose Swampert so many times in Hoenn and never used Blastoise except recently.
    Sceptile>Venusaur
    I'm more of speed myself,and Sceptile is my 3rd favorite Pokemon.
    Charizard>Blaziken
    Charmander was my first Pokemon ever,so Charizard takes my vote.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast