View Poll Results: Prequel before sequel?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I want to know what happens before doing so.

11 61.11%
  • No. I don't care.

7 38.89%

Thread: Do you refuse to watch/play/read a sequel without seeing the prequel first?

Default Do you refuse to watch/play/read a sequel without seeing the prequel first?

One thing that I seem to have a problem with is watching new movies that come out in the cinema or playing the latest games in a series I like because I haven't completed the first two beforehand. For example, I will not watch The Avengers until I've seen each member's individual films (Just need to watch Hulk 2008 and Iron Man 2).

Sometimes it's okay to play a game in a series if it's not exactly chronological, or if it's an RPG (e.g Fallout 3, though I won't play New Vegas until finishing that)

And I just have to read any book chronologically written before the one I want to read, otherwise the story makes no sense whatsoever.

Do you have these issues too? Discuss them here.

3DS Friend Code: 2337-4608-0376
    Most Recent Shiny: - 868 eggs | Current Hunt:

It really depends on what it is, and especially the kind of medium. Most books, for example, I like to read in order, lest I miss important plot points that were in the earlier parts of the series. I found this especially important for the Harry Potter series, because each subsequent entry in the series builds upon the last one. Some series are an exception though; for example, the Discworld novels. I don't even know what order those books are in, and frankly I don't care. I see them as separate stories, perhaps with some of the same characters among them, taking place in the same world. And when I read the Hobbit, I had already watched all of the Lord of the Rings movies, even though I had a hard time understanding what was going on in most of the latter.

With movies, I pretty much always have to watch them in order; otherwise they become at least a little bit confusing to me. For example, I jumped into the most recent installment of the Batman trilogy with the Dark Knight, which is the second in the trilogy. Needless to say, I was a bit lost at the beginning, but at least I got all the dynamics between Batman and the Joker and such. And since I was already somewhat familiar with the Batman universe, I let it slide.

With TV shows, it depends. If it's a reality or crime-related or medical-related show, I don't mind jumping into the middle of the series. I've watched like 40 random episodes each of House and the Big Bang Theory and I was completely fine with it, since each episode was entertaining in itself and most things didn't build upon earlier episodes. Any anime or most shows that don't find into those earlier criteria, on the other hand, I pretty much have to watch in order, which becomes tedious when there are multiple seasons of that show and a lot of people I know talk about the later episodes that I won't be seeing for a long time. (I'm looking at you, One Piece and My Little Pony and Doctor Who.)

With video games, I practically always end up going out of order. Most video games I'm interested in end up doing a pretty good job of either being rather independent, or filling me in on what happened earlier. This is pretty much inevitable with the Zelda games especially, though in that case the order was pretty much determined after most of the games came out, and doesn't follow the order of release at all (the only cases where the release dates match the timeline order are the first two games, and Majora's Mask following Ocarina of Time). But I've done it with other series too: the Mother series, for instance, where I played Mother 3 before Earthbound (its prequel). And the Final Fantasy series too, where I played 6 first and then barely started on 7. (The Final Fantasy games don't even build upon each other for the most part.) Although people generally advise against it, I'm doing the Kingdom Hearts games out of order, starting with Dream Drop Distance and then watching part of a Let's Play of the original (since I don't have any Playstation consoles). And if and when I get the right console for the Persona games, I'm starting with 3. The only games I've ever actually played in order were the main line of Pokemon games. Oh, and the two Super Mario Galaxies.

I have claimed Celestia Ludenberg from Dangan Ronpa. --My Updated RPer profile--

RPG's I'm in now: Gauntlet of the Greek God Guardians (Zuri), Castle of the Vampire King (Bianca and Lilith)
    Current RPG Project: Earthbound: The Rainbow Omen (Sign-ups) (RPG thread) (Discussion)

I'm actually really anal about this kind of thing. Your example of Fallout 3 and New Vegas is a perfect example, actually, where I feel obligated to finish the previous game, even if there's no story connection. My reason for this is that, if I play the later game first, I'll see all sorts of gameplay improvements that the previous one won't have, and I won't be able to like the previous one as much.

This nature of mine, actually, has kept me from seeing the original Lord of the Rings trilogy. I hear the second and third movies are great, but I don't feel right watching them without watching the first, and three times now, I've fallen asleep watching it. I have NEVER fallen asleep while watching a movie, except for those three times, all of which were the first Lord of the Rings.
        Spoiler:- My Blog and Friend Codes:
    My Shinies:

It depends on if there is an overall story between all parts. For instance, in The Simpsons very few episodes are inter related so you can come and go between seasons and not miss much important changes. But for something with a story being unfolded season on season, such as Lost, it's best to watch it from the beginning

Definitely, unless the series has no references to other books or episodes. For instance, I recently bought 'Dark River' in the Warrior Cats series, 'The Power of Three', and I refuse to read it until I get 'The Sight'- it's prequel. On the other hand, I have read every book of Redwall in a scattered order. The only books you need to read in order are probably 'Redwall' and 'Mattimeo'. As such, it depends, but I generally do so, as I'm a little bit OCD like that.
    This is Bidoof. Many people loathe it with their lives. If you are of the few people who love this little beaver, put this in your sig. Started by Earth Wolf-Howl (formerly Warrior Scolipede)

FC: 2707-2741-9594
    Friend Safari: Sunkern, Sawsbuck, Maractus

I have claimed Pyroar!

Usually, yeah. Unless one of the predecessors is really bad, it kind of bugs me to go out of order.

I watched the original Star Wars trilogy before the prequel trilogy.

So, no

if you have some free time, check out my new demo! ~ last.fm ~ steam

I don't usually mind doing things out of order. My school makes everyone take these stupid Myers-Briggs test, so students will be "self-knowledgeable". Basically one of the categories is how you do thing and how orderly you are. You can either be an S (structural) or an N (intuitive). I'm an N, which means I'm unorganized and spontaneous. This whole thread reminded me of this test, I think you will find S people would want to do thing is chronological order, while Ns prefer to just do whatever order is quickest available.

So ya, I don't mind doing things out of order, as long as I am able to get to all of them. The only real exception for me is when I read a book. For reading I think it's more natural though, you don't just pick up a novel and flip to random page and start going. You start from chapter 1. For other mediums I think it's easier to start from other points. When you watch a show sometimes you start mid season, or you could be flipping channels and get hooked mid epiosode. The same could be said for games. No sane person has ever said "well I don't want to spoil Final Fantasy x, so I should just start from the original".

In most cases, yes. I like to know what's going on if it's story-heavy

"Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor."

It depends. With video games, I'm willing to skip ahead to the sequel if they aren't story-oriented. But for everything else, I definitely want to read/watch the first thing first.
    ~ * My Photobucket Album * ~

Thousands of screencaps of Pokémon, Toradora!, Shugo Chara!, Clannad, K-ON!, and many other anime.
    Use them however you want!

~ * GoodSearch * ~

Search engine that donates a penny to the charity of your choosing every time you do a search. Spread the word, help the world!

Click here to read my one and only Pokemon fanfic! I hope you enjoy it!

I only post on Serebii sporadically, just so you know.