Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best/worst experiences with used games.

All the games I have got used must of been owned by 8 year olds. Usually they have 300hours played and havent even beaten the game and usually are mono pokemon runs.

The exceptions were Diamond and my white copy both of which had finished the game but had things like Empoleon shiny lvl 100 caught at 100 in master balls. First thing I do is remove all the clear haxs and then extract anything of value which usually isnt much.

I bought a used Sapphire back in the days Firered and Leafgreen were released. Starting up the used game I notice the previous user had some decent Pokemon like Crobat, Swampert, Altaria, Magcargo, Magneton and Dodrio and the character was in the cave where you fight Team Aqua for the last time in the game. I didn't want to spoil myself so I simply deleted the profile and started over the game without any troubles in the cartridge.

I had bought a Pokemon Battle Revolution game, and it did work, but after i returned it the manager apologized by giving me a free working one!
    [IMG]http://oi42.*******.com/no61ic.jpg[/IMG]

Credits to FairyWitch for the buttons and Sworn Metalhead for the Userbar!

Bought a used Soulsilver game only to find it not to be working >.> Wasn't much of a big annoying problem. I just went to give it back and checked everywhere else until I found a workable one :3

The problem with that first Soulsilver was that it was "bricked" <.> I couldn't do anything besides watch a blue screen >_>
    3DS: 1779-0094-0137

Source of images

I bought a copy of Platinum used and found that the previous player hadn't deleted their file; went on it out of sheer curiosity and found the PC boxes stuffed full of hacked flawless and shiny Pokemon. Didn't know what to make of it but I deleted the file eventually, despite the lure of shiny Ninetales.

Wow, plenty of great replies. Definitely have to make sure you a buy from a trustworthy source. I buy a lot of used pokemon games just on the of chance that I'll get some good pokemon and the only questionable thing that I've run into is some dude had 9 masterballs. Technically these could be legit. Maybe not, eitherway all they cloned/hacked/bullied-8-year-olds-out-of was the masterballs because the pokemon checked out. Or it was a very elaborate and inconspicuous hack lol.
    I wanna be... The very best... No, but seriously, I just wanna catch 'em all.
    Also an aspiring competitive player

Add me so we can use each others friend Safari's (I'm Ghost type btw)
    3DS FC: 4957 2690 2453

My story begins about a month after Platinum was released, and I went down to a local store to buy a copy. I bought a used one because the new ones were completely sold out, naturally. I get home and plop the cartridge into my DS, and everything is perfect. I get to the start screen and notice there's a save file with 6 badges. I have a huge curiosity, so I play the save file that was already there before making my own. I get on, check the party (and PC boxes), and there's a bunch of Pokemon with Japanese names, all level 100. I had a hunch that they were hacked, so I check the bag, and there was 999 of every item, and every key item was unlocked. So, I saved, turned the game off, deleted the save, and made my own. Not really a good or bad experience, but I'd never run into a game that was so ARed before.
    Platinum FC: 3010-8396-1687
    HG FC: 1420-2632-0071

I bought a used silver game and it had a level 100 rhydon on it and all the legendary bird pokemon, so that was nice.
    I also recently bought a second hand Heartgold game, this only had 28 pokemon on it, but it did have a level 100 gengar on it, which is my favourite pokemon however this cartridge it freezes every so often, which is my only negative.

This topic does make interesting reading. Seems most people will check an existing save file and export pokemon if they appear to be 100% legit and clearly the product of hard work by the owner. Seems also most people just delete anything suspect. Makes me wonder how many of these event/shiny flawless collections people seem so proud of would simply be dismissed and deleted by the average buyer.

I'd like to think if I was ever to sell my B2 file that the buyer would look over my file and be happy with it and at least export my hard earned and trained favorites box.

I bourght a used pokemon pearl once and it stopped working after a few months. Since then I've always bourght the games new and I've never had a problem.

The only one I've bought used was Soul Silver a couple months back. It's been working fine and the previous owner had left some pretty good Pokemon there. The best thing was he had all the starters from each generation.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead for the awesome banner!

I've never had good luck with used games. However, my best one was with a used Sapphire I took a risk and bought from Amazon. Not only was it a real copy, but it also had a lot of Hoenn Pokemon I had never bothered to get such as Vigoroth, Exploud and Wailord. The only problem is that the internal battery is dry, but that's a minor factor. I manage to get the three Regis anyway.
    This is Bidoof. Many people loathe it with their lives. If you are of the few people who love this little beaver, put this in your sig. Started by Earth Wolf-Howl (formerly Warrior Scolipede)

FC: 2707-2741-9594
    Friend Safari: Sunkern, Sawsbuck, Maractus

I have claimed Pyroar!

I buy used games ALL THE TIME. I never have negative experiences with them, actually.
    Tonight, I wanna dance with someone else ~

In general, I don't have much bad luck with used games. The only problems were from cheap games bought off ebay, but that's to be expected. My Sapphire is corrupted and won't keep the save files, and I got a bootleg copy of Black that I has to be played on a DS or DS Lite, and the IR feature doesn't work.

I did get a used copy of FireRed that had lots of Pokemon. I used it to transfer pokemon to my 4th gen games. The previous owner must have been a Pichu fan, there were a lot of them on there.
    3DS Friend Code: 3351-4057-4675 (Vicki)
    2DS Friend Code: 0361-7983-6340 (Breanna)
    Nintendo Network ID Wii U: IrisMist

Friend Safari X (3DS): Vicki ~ Rock with Onix, Boldore & Shuckle
    Friend Safari Y (2DS): Breanna ~ Ice with Delibird, Bergmite & ???

Currently playing: Mario Kart 8

Quote Originally Posted by magibas View Post
    Hi, I really couldn't find this topic anywhere else and I think it's an interesting one so here it is. A place to discuss any and all funny/bad/awesome/interesting experiences you've had when buying a used pokemon game.

I hope this is in the right place and if it isn't well I'd appreciate someone's help to relocate it. If the thread must be closed then so be it, I just hope someone opens up a good thread of similar topic in the appropriate place.

I'll start off with my most recent used game experience:
    I am an American pokemon player from good old Austin, TX and I imported a pokemon white from Japan. "Why?" you ask? To use the Masuda method of course. (I could trade for a japanese pokemon from the GTS, but my dorm's wifi does not like my 3DS XL. I very recently figured out how to connect it and it's still pretty sketchy) Anyways, it took about a month for the game to ship from Japan and once it did I was so excited. This is where story time begins -.-
    I then found that Japanese games only work on a fat DS or DS lite, so I had to ask around for one. Luckily one of my close friends had one to spare so I borrowed it. With no charger. I ordered one off amazon and two days later I had a working fat DS with Japanese pokemon white.
    I start up the game, excited to finally get all of White's exclusive legendary pokemon onto my Black version and that sweet baby making machine: Japanese Ditto. BUT. Instead of being blank, there was already a save file of a female player... I look at her pokedex entries an it was at 504.
    Woah.
    I open up her save file and in her boxes I find a box called "Single" with several level 100s trained with great movesets, a box called "doubles" with more competitive pokemon. a box with EVERY legendary except Deoxys and Victini, and a box with a few shiny pokemon. Including a shiny Mew. The rest of her boxes had many pokemon from past generations, some just for dex completion, some were actually trained and a whole box of Dittos.
    I hit the jackpot!
    It took me two days of nonstop trading over infrared to get everything in my Black boxes.
    Now I am one happy trainer
    still looking for Deoxys and Victini though.
    You're quite lucky. Very funny what happened with you.

I have no experience with used games, though.
    Last edited by Pogaymon; 2nd April 2013 at 4:34 PM.

My worst experience by far, has to be on a soulsilver which i got for virtually nothing. I was sring for a shiny starter and was at 1700+ srs . I dont stray from mm too frequently but was giving this a try and one day it just stopped. The error message came up on my 3ds and i never have been able to continue that hunt
    My Shiny Pokemon:

5th Gen:
    ;Emolga; ;Solosis;

6th Gen:
    Greninja ;Volcarona; (X2) Aegislash ;Lampent; Diggersby

Luvin' the t'wigs <3
    3DS fc: Paddy 2621-3316-5077 (Pm if you add me)

Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth1011 View Post
    Everytime I beat the league on the used Emerald I bought way back when, my save file always get deleted.

So much for fakes.
    It's pretty similar to my story.
    I bought a fake Emerald version (without knowing it) on eBay and every single time my Kirlia was evolving into Gardevoir and I was out of the Meteor Falls for the first time, my game was deleted, like if these two facts were criterias to delete my saved files. After 3 times, I got annoyed, so I bought a real Sapphire game and it worked perfectly.

I never buy a used game, I prefer get a fresh and clean one.
    Last edited by The Prince of May; 7th September 2013 at 5:50 PM.
    Water 水 - Earth 土 - Fire 火 - Air 气 - Spirits 神靈 - Change 易 - Balance 平衡
    « Be the leaf... »

my deviantArt account

Bought a used Silver. It didn't work. Got a used Crystal for my birthday. Still didn't work. Then Soulsilver came out, and all was right once more.
    3DS Friend Code: 1864 - 8413 - 3256

Probably from the fake games, the files always got deleted when I tried to migrate my pokemon to D/P/Plat.
    But no I have original games now, so no worries no more.
    X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037
    The Trinity League Poison Apprentice Master League Shadow Stars League Poison Leader
    PokeGyms Fairy Leader

Spoiler:- Credits:

Quote Originally Posted by thetifftiff
    Amount of real life time doesn't mean much when it comes to shiny hunting though.

My best experience with used games had to be two years ago. I asked my aunt to go out and buy my PMD Blue because I really liked Darkness and wanted to see if the prequels were just as good. She came back half an hour later with a very cheap used copy and my change. So I booted it up, and found that the save file was fully complete, with every item and a team of level 100s. I reseted it anyway.

I had to replace a battery in my Pokemon Blue, but it works fine now, so oh well.
    Within my lifetime, I've done a lot of walking. I started my journey walking on a little path called Route 1. Little did I know that walking down that route would lead me onwards to a road that went by the name of Victory. Just west of Victory Road, I walked up an entire mountain where atop stood a silent trainer who was one of the mightiest I had ever faced. I've walked, through sandstorms, across the hard desert of Hoenn. I've walked through pelting hail, across the snow covered terrains of Sinnoh. And now as I look back on all my travels I find myself walking across the Skyarrow Bridge of Unova. It took a lot of walking through tall grass patches to get where I am today...But it was worth the walk.

Just recently bought a used copy of Black 2 and got all excited when I saw that there were some event pokemon that I missed on that file. However, after digging around some more and finding that the dex was completed with all shiny pokemon I figured it was hacked

We bought Yellow Version used, and it won't save. (Seems to be a common problem.)

Red , which we also got used, works fine, as do Blue and Crystal (which we got new.)
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

I had just bought a used Pokmeon Emerald game, and the all of the pokemon thier were legit, and it had an Extreme Speed Zigzagoon :O
    [IMG]http://oi42.*******.com/no61ic.jpg[/IMG]

Credits to FairyWitch for the buttons and Sworn Metalhead for the Userbar!

All of my Pokemon games are used; I don't have the money for a new copy. Though I might get a new copy of SoulSilver for my birthday; I was commenting on it to my mom and she liked the pokewalker feature. Sees it as something to finally get me off my behind and move around.

When I got Diamond the first thing I did was reset it... Even if it'd had good rare pokemon in the PCs from the previous owner I had nothing to transfer them to. Eventually I figured out that getting the GBA games would bring in more pokemon, so I set out to look for them.

Total and utter noob that I am, I bought a cheap used copy of LeafGreen off ebay. Turned out to be a fake copy. It played fine, no glitches or hangups, but the Leafgreen insert pokemon never appeared in diamond, nor was there even an option to migrate them. I was not happy; I'd gotten a couple nice Vulpix in leafgreen. That fake copy is now gathering dust in my sock drawer.

After some sulking and growling, I managed to locate an authentic copy of LeafGreen and snapped it up. The previous owner had only four gym badges and nothing fancy in the PC, so I went and caught a couple common pokemon I needed for my pokedex, caught and transferred over zapdos, and transferred over their starter (wartortle). The game will now be reset and I'll play through it on my own.

I also got my hands on a used, authentic copy of Emerald. No hacks or anything as far as I can tell. The previous owner had eight badges but had not faced the elite four yet. I used their save file to catch a couple common pokemon and the three Regis, then transferred them and the starter (blaziken) to Diamond so I could wake Regigigas. Now I will reset that game and start over, too.

A friend of mine down the States has spare, legit copies of Ruby, Sapphire, and FireRed. She's going to send them to me as soon as she gets the chance ^_^

After some poking around the used game store I found a used copy of Platinum. It needs to be blown on before being inserted into the game slot, but it works. The previous owner had separate boxes for different-leveled pokemon. Nothing too fancy in the PC, and no shinies. They had caught the lake legendaries I'd accidentally knocked out in Diamond, so I transferred them over, caught magmar and electabuzz, then put it aside to restart and play through later.

My sister had a copy of Pearl, also used, but she'd restarted it to play and ended up not liking it. She gave it to me and loaned me her DS so I could trade evolve the pokemon I have that require trading to evolve, and then I restarted it to get the starters. She'd gotten lost in Wayward Cave before giving up, so I had to restart the game just to get out of there. Right now I'm playing through it to get the Pearl-version exclusives for my pokedex in Diamond.

On the subject of shinies, I only have one. I was hunting for Shuckle when I had a Random Encounter with a shiny Floatzel. I suck at chaining, apparently; I never get above 17 in the chain before it breaks >.<
    Last edited by Cyberra; 6th April 2013 at 9:44 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast