Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you kindly post in this BioShock discussion thread?

Default Would you kindly post in this BioShock discussion thread?

Alright, so this thread is about the fantastic BioShock series. With the release of Infinite, I thought it would be appropriate to make a thread.

I'll start off: I absolutely loved 1; the atmosphere, the themes, it's one of the reasons why video games should be considered an art form. 2, however, while good in its own right, didn't exactly hold up compared to 1.
    On #spp and #spp-wifi as: Revan, Aegislash
    FC: 2621-2733-0166
    IGN: Lautrec

I can't really say for sure, because I didn't finish it, but I think that the worst part about BioShock 2 were the parts where you needed to defend the Little Sister while she harvested. Similarly, the worst part of the original BioShock was defending that one Little Sister. Then again, that seems to be a general theme for me especially in FPSes -- defending things doesn't usually work well. Unless it's yourself.

BioShock's final boss was also a massive anticlimax.

Do not own Infinite and probably will not for a while.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

I loved Bioshock 1, and I'm probably going to pick up Infinite at some point, maybe when it goes on sale. The gameplay looks kind of generic and I've heard there's not a lot of moral choice, but the plot is surprisingly well done, albeit a little complicated at first, and Columbia as a city looks great.

Well since you said "Would you kindly." alright.

I love the whole series.

The way the settings are so well realised that they become characters in their own right, how the plots and themes actually makes people think (instead of just providing an excuse to start shooting things), the combat is a nice alteration to the standard FPS formula.

Quote Originally Posted by Un0va View Post
    The gameplay looks kind of generic and I've heard there's not a lot of moral choice, but the plot is surprisingly well done, albeit a little complicated at first, and Columbia as a city looks great.
    Having finished Infinite I can tell you the gameplay is not generic - it's still BioShock to its core, only more polished. The plot is nothing short of fantastic, especially in the late-middle to closing act of the game where it just rolls on and gets heavier and heavier. Columbia is a truly fantastic setting, every bit as awesome as Rapture was.

So I finished Infinite as well, and I agree that the world feels alive. But I think I lost sleep trying to wrap my head around the ending.

Spoiler:- BSI ending:
    Last edited by Artorias; 28th March 2013 at 9:44 PM.

Every time I forget why Bioshock is so critically acclaimed I boot it back up and remember pretty much by the moment I get the first Plasmid. It's just a wonderful experience.

Playing through and taking my time with Infinite, I find it's among the more overall perfect games I've played. It executes systems and introducing them well, giving narrative reasoning for things happening, the level design is interesting and within the suspension of disbelief, it's just all an amazingly crafted game thus far. I'm really glad I can find the time to play it. Somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Jack View Post
    So I finished Infinite as well, and I agree that the world feels alive. But I think I lost sleep trying to wrap my head around the ending.
    I definitely lost sleep from wrapping my head around the stunning ending, both in terms of everything that was revealed and all the emotions it triggered, as well as having not been able to put it down once the end was in sight.

So I just spoiled the game's ending for myself (probably going to buy it after it goes on sale), and yeah, it's kind of weird. There's one enormous plothole I have to question, though:

Spoiler:- Bioshock Infinite spoilers:

So I just spoiled the game's ending for myself (probably going to buy it after it goes on sale), and yeah, it's kind of weird.
    Oh dear, you won't get the full experience now Heh kinda weird is not how I'd put it - given how the very concepts involved can mess with the human mind never mind the story you've become invested in

There's one enormous plothole I have to question, though:

Spoiler:- Bioshock Infinite spoilers:
    Not a plot hole, just highly complicated element because humans have great difficulty conceptualising.
        Spoiler:- BioShock Infinite Spoilers:

Spoiler:- BSI spoilers:

Spoiler:- BSI spoilers:
    Well,     Spoiler:- related to that other one:

Just guessing, though.

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by Night_Walker View Post
    Not a plot hole, just highly complicated element because humans have great difficulty conceptualising.
        Spoiler:- BioShock Infinite Spoilers:
    But that's my point.

Spoiler:- More spoilers:

But that's my point.

Spoiler:- More spoilers:
    I said it was complex.

Spoiler:- Spoilers:

Well I am currently playing through Bioshock Infinite and I am loving it, although I have a habit of talking to Elizabeth as if I am actually Booker.

"Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

Quote Originally Posted by Night_Walker View Post
    I said it was complex.

Spoiler:- Take a guess:

Just finished BSI- that last fight was just plain evil- and now can weigh in on the ending:

Spoiler:- Ending:
    I'm sorry, were you expecting some kind of epic signature here?

Current works:
    A Modern Atlantis- Bioshock/Doctor Who crossover (FINALLY WRITING CHAPTER 3! Will post soon!)
    -When a perfectly mundane trip to the ocean floor causes the Doctor and his companions to discover an underwater city, they find a utopia that is anything but. (Rated PG-14 for language and violence)

This has got to be the stupidest article on BioShock Infinite I've read.

Could a video game released this week really offer your children the chance to shoot at robotized versions of the Founding Fathers? Does that same game openly mock American exceptionalism and conservative ideals, and is it made by a committed Marxist? That’s the argument being made about the recently released and critically acclaimed video game Bioshock Infinite, which hit stores on March 26 and is already sparking viral controversy, both from mainstream and from less-than-reasonable sources.
    What controversy? And Ken Levine and his team are Marxists? Looks like someone's kinda mad.

I could never get into Bioshock. That said the trailers for Inifinite look pretty cool, but my little brother took the Xbox to college with him so I don't have any console to play it on anyway.
    My Y Team:

What controversy? And Ken Levine and his team are Marxists? Looks like someone's kinda mad.
    No it's not, because you clearly did not read it. The article only sets up that argument only to knock it down. It's actually attacking people who think that and presents the game in a very good light.
    I'm sorry, were you expecting some kind of epic signature here?

Current works:
    A Modern Atlantis- Bioshock/Doctor Who crossover (FINALLY WRITING CHAPTER 3! Will post soon!)
    -When a perfectly mundane trip to the ocean floor causes the Doctor and his companions to discover an underwater city, they find a utopia that is anything but. (Rated PG-14 for language and violence)

I'm pretty sure the game does mock American exceptionalism and conservative ideals.

Probably because both do not jive with the modern world.

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by LokiTheGengar View Post
    Just finished BSI- that last fight was just plain evil- and now can weigh in on the ending:

The last fight really is quite nasty no doubt - particularly as you're not really prepared for it by any encounter earlier on.

Given the attitude some people take I'm not surprised that the themes of American Exceptionalism, the role of religion within a society and racism would provoke anger from some people...
    Heck "Beast of America' vids on Youtube stirred up hornet's nests about how respectful and or accurate the game was going to be. So people arguing about it now that it's out, yeah I can believe that.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
        Spoiler:
    It's not really deep, it's just needlessly complicated. It makes me feel like Ken Levine could have explained it a lot better with the six years he had.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    The ending to infinite made me think more than I did playing through all of Pokemon white 2.
    It's not like Pokemon is all that deep a pool, though.

The usual links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast