Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The meaning of "Pokemon Master"

Default The meaning of "Pokemon Master"

To be honest, IMO, Ash is going to be the "Pokemon Master" after seeing ALL the pokemon around the world! But not the "Master" that win all the competition.

Which I believe that is going to happened at the end of the pokemon anime series! So I think we won't see Ash wins any pokemon league at all!

So the meaning of "Pokemon Master" is not becoming the champion but actually learned and seen all the pokemon around the world! Agree?

Which I think the writer trying to do now. That is disappointing but I also believe that is the best way to end the pokemon anime series. But luckily, it won't happen any time soon because pokemon sells damn well!

P.S: This is anime discussion not game! So the meaning will be different! Remember that!
    Last edited by kod3; 5th April 2013 at 5:08 PM.

Plus Ash is only 10 and even Cynthia who is like 20 or 30 said she is not even a master

It aint clear who a pokemon master is. how can seeing all pokemon make you a pokemon master. it may make you a pokemon watcher but training is important to become a master. Then ash has no reason to catch and train pokemon. a pokemon master is probably the strongest trainer. the anime will end at some point and they could start off with a new main character when the rating hits rock bottom but the games are more successfull and they will keep on continuing and make more games and creatures till they sell.
    “We do have a lot in common.
    The same air, the same Earth, the same
    sky.
    Maybe if we started looking at
    what's the same instead of
    always looking at what's different,
    ...well, who knows?”
    ― Meowth

Winning a ton of league championships and seeing and catching a lot, but not every pokemon.
    My first shiny ever caught!

Named Admiral Sentret

I'm thinking that a Pokemon Master is the most powerful trainer in the world and has captured every Pokemon that exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

If I go by anime standards a Pokemon Master is a powerful trainer that understands the hearts of all Pokemon and keeps the balance of Pokemon in order. By game logic Pokemon master is what you become from beating the game and finishing the Pokedex.

The only thing I know about "Pokemon master" is someone who has all badges, has won many leagues, completed the Pokedex and has a ton of strong Pokemon under him.

Pokémon master should be the person who wins the Champions tournament where all the champions of different regions battle it out to see who is the best. My guess is that this tournament is held every 5 years sort of like a World cup of pokemon. Winner is crowded pokemon master the best trainer in the world.

The reason that I do not believe that it is to catch everyone pokemon is because Ash hardly catches any pokemon. I think the max that Ash has ever caught in a region is like 10 ( not including the 30 torus). So it would not make sense if he keeps saying "I want to be a pokemon master" yet you still have not even caught all the pokemon from 1 region.

And I would go crazy if the current pokemon master is 1) Ash's dad 2) Red

The meaning of the term pokemon master "is to be the very best, like no one ever was." And to be badass like Red in the manga :P

i would say it's someone how has achieved a great feat, or mabye being in the top 50 or 100

maybe it just a term and you decide when yo make it there
    Last edited by insanejames; 1st April 2013 at 8:43 AM.

Hard to say the anime has never given a term for Pokemon Master. I think Lance was called one and I think in the first series so was some of the elite 4 members. I think it means someone who is an amazing Pokemon battler, has a great understanding of Pokemon and their feelings, is able to stand up to all challenges and is seen by other trainers to be a master. It tough though sense the anime has never stated so if we go by the game a Pokemon master is someone who beats the league and catches all the different Pokemon (in the region or in the world depends really) so no unless Ash ups his game he won't be a master.

You guys should know game and anime are different! So winning all the leagues or badges doesn't make you a pokemon master! It should be called pokemon champion.
    In anime, they are probably go with "seen" and "learned" all the pokemon. Obviously nobody has seen legendary pokemon as many as Ash did, lol.

The theme songs for America and Japan implied that a Pokemon master caught one of each Pokemon.

That, however is an impossible goal. TV Guide predicted it when the show was new: Nintendo can always add more Pokemon.

After the 2nd generation, the "gotta gatch 'em all/get them all" aspect was dropped, but no new definition was given.

As such, I no longer know what a Pokemon master is in the TV show.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

In the show, I would say it's someone who has gained great prestige and fame from their experiences with pokemon. They proved they understand all pokemon (I exclude legends since, it's not common to do so) and can easily gain a pokemons trust and use that pokemons skill in battle with little to no training. Also, they should be able to bring out a pokemons true potential.

Meanwhile in the games..simply catch em all and fill the dex.

well ,in terms of the anime, it definitely does not mean that you have caught all pokemon, as they made it apparent catching legendary pokemon isn't going to happen. I would say it's someone who is largely undefeated and has won many battles (including the league). it is completely different to the games and it is more based around having to battle trainers, than to ,you know, catch 'em all!,
    The Doctor: 'People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually*
    from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.'
    In other words: Time is Complicated.
    Credit to epicjirachifan, Chapter of Charizard FairyWitch and Astaral Shadow of the Under

I'm not sure about that one. The Anime has changed the meaning of the term over time, and I fully expect it to be changed again at some point.

But if I had to guess, I'd say that I don't think there is an official pre-requisite for becoming a Pokemon Master in the Anime (aka there's no set guideline). Because if there was, then the process to become one would never change. But the term does exist in the Anime, and it's used to describe several supporting characters in the series. And as has been illustrated before in the series, the process has indeed changed, at least at a glance.

But has it really? Has there ever been an official list of things required to become a Pokemon Master in the Anime? The short answer is, no. There hasn't. All we ever know about the Pokemon Masters is what they've done, not what is needed in order to become one. Ash aspired to become a Pokemon Master in Episode 1. He wanted to catch every Pokemon, win the League, AND become a Pokemon Master (implying that catching every Pokemon, winning the League and becoming a Pokemon Master are indeed three completely separate things).

Plus, whenever you hear about a Pokemon Master, you always hear about what they've done in life, separate from them becoming a Pokemon Master. Cynthia won the League, defeated the Elite Four, AND became a Pokemon Master. She didn't win the League and defeat the Elite Four TO become a Pokemon Master. Implying once again that becoming a Pokemon Master is a separate task (and possibly also implying that battling the Elite Four might not necessarily be directly connected to winning the League in the Anime; but I digress).

With all that in mind, I imagine that it's more of a formal title, akin to being knighted or inducted. There's really no set pre-requisites for becoming one. You just do extraordinary things, or accomplish enough tasks, and you're eventually recognized as one by the guys in charge. It's probably supposed to be the sports equivalent of being inducted into the Hall of Fame. They don't just look at one thing you've done, but all of the things you've done over the course of your career.
    Last edited by SBaby; 8th April 2013 at 12:50 AM.
    A Winner Is You!!!

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

The worst thing you can do in any business is blame the customer.
    - Willie 'Jack' Degel

To be the very best, like no one ever was.

To "catch them" is their real test, to "train them" is their cause.
    Legitimately Caught All 649 Pokémon in White 2: April 12, 2013
    White 2 FC: 5072 4104 1923
    3DS FC: 0103-9971-7893

They will travel across the land

searching far and wide.

IMHO a Pokemon Master is a trainer who wins the Pokemon League, catches the most amount of Pokemon, and has earned the title of Master
    Fan Fic: Nexus Renegade
    When a new dimension is created and gives birth to three terrors of the world. The Nexus will judge you
    Currently Under Revision
    Special Thanks to Inudono19 for the Badass Morph of the Creation Trio

He'll never become a Pokemon master. Honestly, he will always remain on a journey as long as they can still make money off of him. The last time Ash wasn't as stupid as he is in BW was during DP. Then they can simply give him the memory of a goldfish and keep him on his journey for 50 years if they so wished, while still remaining 10 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by karczx View Post
    He'll never become a Pokemon master. Honestly, he will always remain on a journey as long as they can still make money off of him. The last time Ash wasn't as stupid as he is in BW was during DP. Then they can simply give him the memory of a goldfish and keep him on his journey for 50 years if they so wished, while still remaining 10 years old.
    This topic isn't really about Ash, though. We're simply trying define the term 'Pokemon Master', as far as the Anime is concerned. The point we're trying to get to with this topic, is we're trying to figure out what that term means in the Anime, and what the literal requirements are for being one.
    A Winner Is You!!!

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

The worst thing you can do in any business is blame the customer.
    - Willie 'Jack' Degel

For one, a Pokemon Master needs to win the Champion's League. It has been stated in the canon. The minimum qualification for being a Pokemon Master is winning the Champion's League. Further more? IDK.

<--My tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by EmphaticPikachu
    DRACO NO STOP. DRACO DOWN. DRACO NO FLIRTING WITH ME.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodlerama

FF.Net profile: Here!!
    \

Quote Originally Posted by Dracoflare View Post
    For one, a Pokemon Master needs to win the Champion's League. It has been stated in the canon. The minimum qualification for being a Pokemon Master is winning the Champion's League. Further more? IDK.
    i agree with you. i think winning the champions league and beating a current champion would allow you to become a pokemon master. it obviously doesn't mean you need to catch all pokemon as 1) ash hasn't done this as he tries to become a master. 2) it's been stated that this is impossible.
    The Doctor: 'People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually*
    from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.'
    In other words: Time is Complicated.
    Credit to epicjirachifan, Chapter of Charizard FairyWitch and Astaral Shadow of the Under

I guess Pokemon Master means beating the League and being very strong.

Wild Future ~ Tyrone Walpole
    Credit
    I have claimed the Almighty Charizard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast