Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The meaning of "Pokemon Master"

Pokemon Master does not fit Ash. Hes losing friends and nver aged. How is he ever going to achieve life?

Quote Originally Posted by sailor sun View Post
    Pokemon Master does not fit Ash. Hes losing friends and nver aged. How is he ever going to achieve life?
    true, but i guess that means he will be able to keep trying forever. he needs to learn more if he wants to become a pokemon master. he just repeats his mistakes.

Always watching. Always waiting. Never truly at peace in a realm of its own.
    Giratina will return....someday.

You learn and grow. As much as Ash has disappointed me with his constant nooby mistakes he'll still become a pokemon master. The defeats, the victories, all the friends and pokemon he met are
    all going to help him achieve his goal. He never gives up and he loves his pokemon and I believe that is what a true Pokemon Master is; strength and dedication only gets you so far but Ash is gaining
    in both categories.

The 'Pokemon Master' goal has always been pretty ambiguous and I think this was the intention of the writers. Its always been left to one's own interpretation.

I consider Ash to be a Pokemon Master in terms of the amount of badges he has obtained, the regions he has traveled to, the number of trainers and rivals he has battled, and his fairly good amount of Pokemon he has caught and seen. He has the experience of a Master, but he hasn't fully shown that yet by becoming the champion.

I would say it means having "League Champion" status i.e. Cynthia, Lance, etc. But it's not clear in the anime.

Visit my Youtube Channel

Pokemon Y: Name: Yoda FC: 0001-3341-1988

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVader
    You may dispense with the pleasantries Commander; I am here to put you back on schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnBoy View Post
    I'm thinking that a Pokemon Master is the most powerful trainer in the world and has captured every Pokemon that exists.
    Then Ash has a very long way to go. I just think you need to have a good amount of pokemon and have them be very strong.
    Ash's team right now

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

If you deny any sort of existence of Iris's hair, put this into your sig (started by 5ilVer)

Quote Originally Posted by DawnBoy View Post
    I'm thinking that a Pokemon Master is the most powerful trainer in the world and has captured every Pokemon that exists.
    considering that some pokemon can't be caught without destroying the world (such as moltres, zapdos, articuno, etc.) i don't see ash catching all pokemon. it probably only means that you have won the league or something similar.

Always watching. Always waiting. Never truly at peace in a realm of its own.
    Giratina will return....someday.

In my opinion, there's a difference between "Pokemon Master" and "The best Pokemon Master in the world". If you catch a lot of Pokemon and beat the league in one region, I guess you could call yourself a Pokemon master.

However, to truly be the "best of the world", you'd have to catch EVERY single Pokemon (which I think are around 700 different ones right now), excluding the ones that obviously can't be caught (Mewtwo, Mew, etc), but you should at least have knowledge of those Pokemon. Also, you'd have to beat EVERY single league in EVERY region.

Only then you could call yourself the "best Pokemon Master in the world", when you have caught all Pokemon that can possibly be caught, and when you have beaten every high-ranking trainer that breathes.
    Your TC was over 40000 pixels, so your entire signature was erased this time. Read the signature rules.

To have caught all, or at the very least, a good chunk of each Pokemon specie, and trained them all to be a near unstoppable force.

To have documented them all for the Prof. And studied their behavior yourself.

To have grown a sufficient bond of love and trust to each one you've caught.

To have traveled to every region and beaten every gym and pokemon league worldwide.

To have grown wise, honorable, so on. same goes for your Pokemon.

I always thought that was a Pokemon master.

correct me if im wrong but I think the writers have decided to keep the information on what a pokemon master is secret mostly likely during the anime's series finale.....which at this paste wont ever come meaning we are stuck with a protagonist with no personality what so ever on a show that has outlived its prime by a mile and a half!(please note im not character bashing).
    If you believe in Jesus Christ put this in your profile and don't just ignore this, because in the Bible it says,
    If you deny me, I will deny you in front of my Father at the gates of Heaven.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
    for those of you who are interested here is my link to my youtube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/pokedigijedi

Trade shop: pokedigijedi's bounty board
    3DS FRIEND CODE: 4382-2152-1254 friend safari type: poison pokemon ariados, kakuna, and muk. please don't take too long too add me it drives me crazy and I will delete your friend code

Although Im sure that Ash will never be a Pokemon master, they should at least make him win the Kalos League. There is a lot more to it than being just the League Champion, he still has to beat the elite 4 like the games to be a master. they should at least get him on that route.
    Pokemon X and Y. That sets the tune for the next 13 games.

I think that a true pokemon master is a trainer that not only has conquered in battles throughout the regions, but also understands the pokemon that they have trained. They have the values to know what a pokemon needs and how to train them efficiently.

A true pokemon trainer does not need to have a fancy championship title; just a thorough understanding of the pokemon and how to battle and train them.

A Pokemon Master is a vague goal set by the writers in a way to make Ash go through so much regions yet never get close to reaching that goal.

The term 'Master' is one used to describe somebody who is perfect at Pokémon, which I believe to be impossible. Every time Game Freak releases another pair of games I've still gotta catch 'em all & be the best that I can be! ahaha

I all seriousness, I guess a 'Pokémon Master' would be one who has there trainer card on the maximum rank and has won several real life VGC tournaments. I'd rather be a travelling trainer than a renowned master any day.

Pangoro ~ Defender of the weak.

I think a "Pokemon Master" isn't something objective like being a Champion is- you beat a champion, you become a champion- but more like a legend. Which is why Ash has to remain kind to his Pokemon and strive to meet as many Pokemon and people as he can, rather than just focus on getting stronger. Of course given his character he'd do that anyway, but still.

98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

The term "Pokémon Master" is just something the League made up so that they can encourage Trainers to keep swearing their lives to Pokémon and nothing else. In reality, such Masters do not even exist as nobody in the world can ever truly master EVERYTHING about Pokémon.
    Gen1 Pokedex: 151/151
    Gen2 Pokedex: 251/251
    Gen3 Pokedex: 386/386
    Gen4 Pokedex: 493/493
    Gen5 Pokedex: 649/649

Quote Originally Posted by fitzy909 View Post
    i agree with you. i think winning the champions league and beating a current champion would allow you to become a pokemon master. it obviously doesn't mean you need to catch all pokemon as 1) ash hasn't done this as he tries to become a master. 2) it's been stated that this is impossible.
    Yup, I agree with both you and DracoFlare on this one.

A trainer must defeat the Champion's League apparently in order to be deemed a Pokemon master.

HA! Ash will only take another 15+ years to reach that level...maybe, if we're lucky.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Master Ask View Post
    To "catch them" is their real test, to "train them" is their cause.
    I know this is from the original theme but I think it should be the other way around.

To catch them is their cause and to train them is their real test. It makes more sense to me that way. How is catching a Pokemon more difficult than properly training them?

On topic, I think Pokemon master is just a objective they set for themselves and they know they will never reach it. Just like trying to get to reach infinity.
    I don't even know if the writers have any real desire right now to make Ash even come close to being a master. From what I see, the only thing he may become a master of is Pikchu master. Ash would have to return to every region, become the champion in every region and then we can talk about him thinking about "master".

If Pokemon was allowed to run as it was intended by Pokemon creator then Ash would had became "Red" long time ago but that would had meant Pokemon could not properly advertise the new games since the show now is only used as solely for advertisement for the games because every time a new game comes out, Ash goes through the whole starting fresh with new starters.
    Last edited by Garbodor.; 29th July 2013 at 3:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbodor. View Post
    I know this is from the original theme but I think it should be the other way around.

To catch them is their cause and to train them is their real test. It makes more sense to me that way. How is catching a Pokemon more difficult than properly training them?
    Well, you kind of have to give anything that came from the original 4Kids theme a wide berth, because not even they know what they're talking about half the time. But really, I think in this case the "cause" is to meet new Pokémon and understand them like you would understand your human friend. The 'test' is an application of skill you could learn from practice, but the goal of the thing is to grow stronger with Pokémon. (How many times has the Professor of the region said something to the effect of "Pokémon and humans work together in harmony!" in their opening speech?)

Quote Originally Posted by Crystalanachrony View Post
    Well, you kind of have to give anything that came from the original 4Kids theme a wide berth, because not even they know what they're talking about half the time. But really, I think in this case the "cause" is to meet new Pokémon and understand them like you would understand your human friend. The 'test' is an application of skill you could learn from practice, but the goal of the thing is to grow stronger with Pokémon. (How many times has the Professor of the region said something to the effect of "Pokémon and humans work together in harmony!" in their opening speech?)
    Congratulations on your first post and welcome to the forum

I think old Pokemon users really look everything in too much detail now and forget Pokemon is mainly for younger audience who do not look at every detail.
    I still think to catch a Pokemon is their real cause because of the Pokemon motto "Gotta catch em all". So catching them is the cause and whether you can bond with them and train them is the real test. Pokemon and humans can only coexist on harmony when they trust each other, and what better way to make a pokemon trust you and to catch it and make it become stronger and help it become the best it can be.

Thanks! Glad to be here at last, ahaha.

And yeah, I can definitely see how it could work that way too. I guess different people have different priorities, regardless of whether they're Trainers or people sitting at their computers wishing they're Trainers.

I suppose that's a pretty acceptable definition of a "Pokemon Master" in that respect.

Speaking of 4Kids, I actually do really miss them dubbing the Pokemon anime...XD. I always felt like they actually really cared about the show, and put a lot of time and effort into the dub.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 29th July 2013 at 4:18 PM.
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

4Kids does have a lot of charm, but for coherent plot and characters, that remain true to the original content AND maintain internal plot structure... not so much. Because hey, little kids, no one cares about plot structure.

4Kids does have a lot of charm, but for coherent plot and characters, that remain true to the original content AND maintain internal plot structure... not so much. Because hey, little kids, no one cares about plot structure.
    Pretty much this. It's not like the Pokemon anime has a real plot structure or rice balls anymore, though. XD.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12