Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "To Be Continued..."

Default "To Be Continued..."

This might strike y'all as a very peculiar question, but I've gotta be honest here: What do you think when you see the text "To Be Continued" at the end of episode episode.

Normally, these words are used to leave us in suspense, and ponder what's going to happen next. "To Be Continued" has been addressed in over 700+ episodes of the Pokemon anime. When I feel no suspsense at what's coming up next, the words lose the meaning. That's my own opinion though. Even when there's a huge Part 2-3 arc going on in the anime, "TBC" fits that moment. Unfortunately, when I do have a peak at what's to come (thanks to the internet), the less I feel suspenseful.

Some other questions to think about:

Do you also think the people running this show want us to be in suspense after every single episode? Do these words even affect you when watching the show? How about when other TV shows use this text; is it more appealing when they dont' use "TBC" as often?

It sure does get my attention when other TV shows pull out the infamous TBC at times.

Now let's check out the alternative text of the show: "Next Time... A New Beginning!". The animators add this after every generation finale. These words did appeal to me when viewing the finale of AG and DP. As for BW, it was more underwhelming (since BW and BW2 were split into parts).
    Attached Images Attached Images

~I just wanna feel that rhythm~
    Twitter @TrainerTrevino

I don't think it's supposed to be suspenseful, really, although I do agree it's lost its meaning, but for a different reason: It keeps going on and on.
    I, stickerstaryoshi, am now authorized to use the usertitle "We got 3D: XY!", created by user Cresselia92 and to modify it according to my desires.

Fan of the Mario and Luigi series since 2005.

I think it's good, it kinda like gets you ready for the next episode.
    28th June is the international CAPS lock day!
    We have just opened our new, fast, GFX friendly forum. Please come and join in the fun at the PokeVillage.
    First 50 get a special gift.
    *Moderator Vacancies*

^ Night Fighter

Probably because when you stop to think about it, the anime is really just a 750+ part multi-parter...

Its one of the things that stays the same since the beginning.
    its just a way of telling you there is still another episode coming up.
    “We do have a lot in common.
    The same air, the same Earth, the same
    sky.
    Maybe if we started looking at
    what's the same instead of
    always looking at what's different,
    ...well, who knows?”
    ― Meowth

It's been happening since the get-go. It doesn't mean anything now to be honest unless the ending of an episode ends in a suspenseful way.

This started since the beginning, Just letting you know of a new episode
    FC: 1332-8918-6873
    Credit: AstralShadow (userbar) & Kida-Ookami (badge) & SwornMetalhead (symbol)

it's basically just telling you that there is going to be another episode. it's fairly pointless i have to say, but they have used it for so long i think that everyone is used to it.
    The Doctor: 'People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually*
    from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.'
    In other words: Time is Complicated.
    Credit to epicjirachifan, Chapter of Charizard FairyWitch and Astaral Shadow of the Under

I wonder if in the very last episode EVER, there will be "The End"?

That would be sad
    28th June is the international CAPS lock day!
    We have just opened our new, fast, GFX friendly forum. Please come and join in the fun at the PokeVillage.
    First 50 get a special gift.
    *Moderator Vacancies*

^ Night Fighter

TBH Unless it is a suspense episode that leads into the other I never notice it for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by marioluigifan05 View Post
    I don't think it's supposed to be suspenseful, really, although I do agree it's lost its meaning, but for a different reason: It keeps going on and on.
    Basically what I was about to say.

Quote Originally Posted by marioluigifan05 View Post
    Once again, I agree.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

It has started from the get go
    But I do feel the suspension in some episodes
    For example those few episodes with meloetta and the trio along with TR

White2 Friend code: 0519-7592-3571
    X Friend code: 0216-1851-5361
    My safari: FIRE, slugma,growlith,ninetales

It means that Ash's adventure continues after the current episode, even if the current episode's plot is complete. I like it. I will admit that the phrase would make more since if the episodes were a bit more connected. The show doesn't need a plot arc for that to happen; just introduce the next episode's complication at the end of the current episode. That worked for Lost in Space.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

In the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers Of Time And Darkness special, the words To Be Continued meant absolutely NOTHING, as it never was continued. I wonder why?
    I AM ERROR!
    Check out my YouTube channel! http://m.youtube.com/#/user/NinjaOfT...injaOfTheSkies
    My Pokemon/Futurama fanfic: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9186329/...anto-Adventure

I think it's good

Quote Originally Posted by *=Pichu=* View Post

That would be sad

I remember you, you're that guy who was sigged by Street Comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by lovesun View Post
    I think it's good
    I think it's good

------------------

Anyway, why are we supposed to care? The To Be Continued is there because the next episode continues off it. Doesn't matter if it's there 700 times. >_>

¬‿¬

It's in the end of every episode besides the season finale one. It basically means Ash's adventures continue in the next episode. :P

Quote Originally Posted by *=Pichu=* View Post

That would be sad
    I'd agree with that. It'd be like beating a Pokémon game too and never playing it ever again.

Banner made by Kelz-Designs on deviantART

I never knew my father...

Spoiler:

Firetruck this guy. I hope he gets banned for good.

A half baked effort to show that despite nothing of note happen in entire filler ep it's still Pokemon.

i guess it's just to get people interested and 'hoping' something interesting will happen next episode. it makes fillers seem like they really matter as well. i guess if the anime ever finishes it will be replaced by 'the end' and the narrator will say 'as the journey ends' or something similar. however, that will be a long time from now.
    The Doctor: 'People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually*
    from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.'
    In other words: Time is Complicated.
    Credit to epicjirachifan, Chapter of Charizard FairyWitch and Astaral Shadow of the Under

Quote Originally Posted by the1stpkmnfan View Post
    This might strike y'all as a very peculiar question, but I've gotta be honest here: What do you think when you see the text "To Be Continued" at the end of episode episode.

Normally, these words are used to leave us in suspense, and ponder what's going to happen next. "To Be Continued" has been addressed in over 700+ episodes of the Pokemon anime. When I feel no suspsense at what's coming up next, the words lose the meaning. That's my own opinion though. Even when there's a huge Part 2-3 arc going on in the anime, "TBC" fits that moment. Unfortunately, when I do have a peak at what's to come (thanks to the internet), the less I feel suspenseful.

Some other questions to think about:

Do you also think the people running this show want us to be in suspense after every single episode? Do these words even affect you when watching the show? How about when other TV shows use this text; is it more appealing when they dont' use "TBC" as often?

It sure does get my attention when other TV shows pull out the infamous TBC at times.

Now let's check out the alternative text of the show: "Next Time... A New Beginning!". The animators add this after every generation finale. These words did appeal to me when viewing the finale of AG and DP. As for BW, it was more underwhelming (since BW and BW2 were split into parts).
    One of the things that usually comes to my mind when I see "To Be Continued" on Pokémon is what would they put there during the last episode. Will they put "The End" or not put anything and end the episode.

I think the writers wants us to stay in suspense but not in the same way other shows want. I think they want people to ponder what the next episode will be. For example, on here, we know the spoilers so when we see the English dub, we know what episodes are coming up and in what order. But for the people that have no spoilers, I am sure the writers want people to ponder whether the next episode will include one of the major villains or rivals of that particular series or when Ash would get to the next Gym and challenge it.

And I agree with you on the last part. "Next Time.... A New Beginning" was more effective for me during the AG and DP finales because we knew Ash was going to a new region and meeting new friends, rivals and enemies.

I have nothing against it because in the original version the narrator always says Su Zu Ku and it sounds cool. So i never get tired of it.

My 3DS Friend Code is: 4141-3174-0404

Friend Safari is Dragons (Noibat, Sliggoo,Fraxure)

Devoted Pearlshipper and as such I have released Chapter 4 of my new fic :
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9948785...-of-the-tunnel

It is there to tell us that the Anime is not over yet, to keep us excited. However, it has appeared so many times that many people do not even pay attention to it.

I have officially claimed Mew (Pokemon), Poo (EarthBound) and EarthBound itself.

I want to see "The End. Now we'll make a Manga adaption. IT PRINTS MONEY!"
    Heh.
    I AM ERROR!
    Check out my YouTube channel! http://m.youtube.com/#/user/NinjaOfT...injaOfTheSkies
    My Pokemon/Futurama fanfic: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9186329/...anto-Adventure

It's certainly lost its meaning to me. It only really has meaning when the plot actually continues, having a string of COTD plots doesn't really feel like much of a continuation when none of what's happening is related.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast