Thread: You know what I hate about spin-off games?

Default You know what I hate about spin-off games?

You know what I hate about spin-off games?

You can't trade Pokemon with the main series.

How cool would it be to send over your Pokemon into one of the Ranger games (or vice-versa). What about sending your Eevee from Pokemon Conquest into the future? Having the Pokemon that you've raised from an Egg to level 100 talk to you in the Mystery Dungeon games?

Suddenly the Pokemon metagame gets a bit more interesting: you could breed your Pokemon and assign moves and EVs that might not work so great in a traditional battle, but might be perfect for playing Conquest or Mystery Dungeon.

Game Freak and the various developers who made the spinoff games really missed an opportunity here: the battle system in the main series is great for around 20 or 30 Pokemon, but unforgivingly brutal to the rest. So why not use them in games where they could really get a chance to shine?

Maybe for ones that emphasize battling, or some sort of trainer/Pokemon bond, but that's about it. There's several spinoffs, such as Mystery Dungeon, Pokepark, and Snap, in which either trainers have no role in the game, or do not focus on battling or raising Pokemon, and in either case it wouldn't really make sense to send them over. I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of this in games like say, Ranger, though.

Some spin off games allow very rare and event Pokemon to be obtained so if you can transfer them to the main game, so players could exploit that to get event Pokemon such as Darkrai without going to events.

Quote Originally Posted by icebolt View Post
    Some spin off games allow very rare and event Pokemon to be obtained so if you can transfer them to the main game, so players could exploit that to get event Pokemon such as Darkrai without going to events.
    They can easily fix that by simply not making such Pokemon available.

Alternatively, they could only make them available through download events like Ranger games do.

GameFreak maybe too busy to do that cuz it's very hard to trade an event Pokemon to another game

"Pokeballs are red, water is blue, I came here to search for you and I will catch you!"
    ~brendan25

Current Team in Pokemon Y:

3DS FC: 2895-7891-8754

hm... I don't think I would like trading between main and spin-off, but it can be fun...

for example:
    capturing your own pokemon from the main series in a ranger game or finding your own pokemon in a random dungeon in a MD game. but not more.