Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Animals in pokemon

Default Animals in pokemon

Lets talk about animals in pokemon

Wrong section. Put it in general pokemon discussion.
    “We do have a lot in common.
    The same air, the same Earth, the same
    sky.
    Maybe if we started looking at
    what's the same instead of
    always looking at what's different,
    ...well, who knows?”
    ― Meowth

Quote Originally Posted by sandy ketchum View Post
    Wrong section. Put it in general pokemon discussion.
    I think he means the animals in the Pokémon anime

I always wonder why I hear birds tweeting in the background

My FireRed Champs:

My HeartGold Team:

My Black Team:

My White Team:

My White 2 Team So Far:

I used to wonder what people eat in pokemon world for meat, fish and other stuffs.
    do they fry pidgeottos and doduos.
    magikarp for fish.
    “We do have a lot in common.
    The same air, the same Earth, the same
    sky.
    Maybe if we started looking at
    what's the same instead of
    always looking at what's different,
    ...well, who knows?”
    ― Meowth

Real animals apparently disappeared over the course of the show, I haven't really seen any since I guess the Orange Islands. I'm sure it's implied humans eat Pokémon, especially since in the games we get talk of people eating Slowpoke tails, and they drink Miltank milk (for those who aren't vegan)--then of course, in the early episodes, Ash, Brock, and Team Rocket envisioned eating Magikarp. If Pokémon and humans could marry at one point (according to D/P/Pt), then they could eat each other.

Either way, parallels to the real world and Pokémon have existed since the beginning of Pokémon, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are animals existing alongside Pokémon. It's probably just a theory floating around, but isn't it implied that Pokémon are basically animals that went through an evolution of sorts?
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

What animals have there been besides fish anyways? I know the games reference them more often. Heck, the pokedex straight up references real world places.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

We saw a painting of an otter in the background of The Pi-Kahuna.

We saw cooked lobster twice. The first time in Battle on the St. Anne and again in The Battling Eevee Brothers.

I'm fairly sure we've seen non-Pokemon birds flying overhead, but I don't remember the episode.

Wasn't there a worm in the first episode?

There's fish in Hanada Gym.

Didn't N talk about some thing like this a bit? I figure all the animals got eaten by people so Pokemon replaced them =/
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

Wasn't there a worm in the first episode?
    Third Episode.

Pidgeotto ate a worm before Ash offered it a Caterpie.

There's always coral. And before you say "BUT THERE's CORSOLA FOR CORAL." I will always and forever see it as a coral-like creature--I don't see Corsola AS coral. But I think Pokemon are the animals, with a few exceptions like invertebrates, and maybe some small Oscine birds.

One thing that's always confused me was plants. There's plants in Pokemon but you can't catch them but you can catch a Bellsprout. So like what's the difference between a Bellsprout and a tree? They are both alive and can use photosynthesis?? So are they more related to plants than animals? Or plant Pokemon aren't plants but animal creatures with the abilities of plants?

Yeah I know. I thought about this stuff during Botany.
    Last edited by JennaJayfeather; 5th May 2013 at 2:39 AM.

I remember seeing a fossil of kabutops with a giant fish in fossil fools. There was fish swimming in ceulean gym before.

Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    One thing that's always confused me was plants. There's plants in Pokemon but you can't catch them but you can catch a Bellsprout. So like what's the difference between a Bellsprout and a tree? They are both alive and can use photosynthesis?? So are they more related to plants than animals? Or plant Pokemon aren't plants but animal creatures with the abilities of plants?
    The Victreebel family's based off the pitcher plant, a carnivorous plant. It's kinda animal-like when you think about it since they don't exactly feed like normal plants. Same with Carnivine based off the Venus flytrap.

Otherwise, I do find it interesting there are plant Pokémon since they appear out of the norm, yet they do act like animals just with vegetation. It's pretty interesting. While the influence is based off real plants, I think them coming to life like that may be rooted in mythology somewhere, like they're spirits, nymphs, or anything of the like. Whatever the case may be, Grass types do interest me despite not being my favorite type because of how unique they are.

Now some PokéDex entries have mentioned some of the Grass types being carnivorous, so perhaps that's why they were able to evolve animalistic features...? Yeah, now I'm confused as to how the Grass-types work, but maybe in most cases they're based off symbiotic relationships?
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

A mongoose appeared in EP20, The Ghost of the Maiden's Peak, summoned by a Gastly. The answer is obvious, Zangoose wasn't yet created at that time so that mongoose is nothing more but a placeholder, otherwise of course a mongoose Pokémon would have been used instead.
    Last edited by ☭Azimuth_055☣; 5th May 2013 at 6:27 PM.

Spoiler:- Credits::

- please excuse my shoddy syntax for some reason I don't know.

I would think that animals still exist, but mostly to be farmed, especially because the majority of Pokemon seem to have near human intelligence and I would think that humans would be a little apprehensive about eating them.

Animals logically have to exist in Pokemon, because otherwise there wouldn't be Pokedex entries comparing Pokemon to animals. I think that they're probably just much much less rare due to natural selection and all.

I personally think of Pokemon as separate from animals and plants.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Dragon View Post
    I personally think of Pokemon as separate from animals and plants.
    Hasn't it been confirmed or at least implied that Pokémon are separate from animals and plants? It may have just been fan speculation, but I remember reading about that. The Electric Tale of Pikachu is coming to mind, actually, I think the manga mentioned it in the first-ish chapter. So I believe it's canon that Pokémon are different species compared to regular animals and plants.
    I survived Pupa.

Its confirmed that there are animals - fish mostly, so I guess thats more what people eat

A better question is, what do the pokemon eat? It would make sense that they would probably eat animals (maybe this is why there aren't many animals?) but would they eat each other?
    Gamer, film fanatic, wannabe animator, concept artist and 3D environment artist, and general nerd

All contestshippers must go here. And if your not a contestshipper go here anyway.

Eating Pokémon actually seems to be pretty a common theme in the Pokémon Cannon, see here for more about it.

Visit my art shop over at Bulbagarden Forums for sprites and avatars!
    PM/VM me over here if you want something and don't have an account there.

If you want to join a new forums site, try Poké International Forums!

Quote Originally Posted by lara lynx View Post
    A better question is, what do the pokemon eat? It would make sense that they would probably eat animals (maybe this is why there aren't many animals?) but would they eat each other?
    I'm sure that they do. Ekans eats Spearow eggs, and I believe a Pidgeot in a trading card was shown carrying off a Magikarp, to name a few. They're wild for a reason. Survival of the fittest.
    I survived Pupa.

There was a mongoose in episode 20 and in the Cruise Ship episodes it showed some real fish in a window.

The only animals I remember are the fish in the Cerulean Gym

Quote Originally Posted by *~Silver*~ View Post
    There was a mongoose in episode 20 and in the Cruise Ship episodes it showed some real fish in a window.
    yeah i remember that. real pokemon only really appeared in os. there were a few instances where this happened, but it has never happened in the more recent series.

Always watching. Always waiting. Never truly at peace in a realm of its own.
    Giratina will return....someday.

The fish only appeared in the gym for lack of more water types. That's why it never happens in the later generations. We have so many Pokemon that we don't really need filler animals anymore.

Credit to cloneydew2000 for the sprites.

A real-world fish can be seen biting slowpoke in EP017, Island of the Giant Pokémon. I think it's from the japanese version, though I'm not so sure.

Spoiler:- Credits::

- please excuse my shoddy syntax for some reason I don't know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast