Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: worst games ever

I think earthbound wins the most overhyped sucky game ever award.
    Okay stop, do you know what the word "overhyped" means? Earthbound wasn't "overhyped" whatsoever prior to its release. I might be wrong for the Japanese side of the world, but I'm fairly confident that we're all western-civilised posters here and that I don't need to worry about that in the first place. Earthbound suffered poor sales figures for the United States and wasn't even released in Europe. So how could it have been overhyped in any sort of way, if most of the world didn't even know it existed before it was released? Not to mention that it was a sequel to Mother, a game that wasn't released outside of Japan.

I mean sure Oot and FF7 got just as much hype but at least they deserved it to a degree.
    I don't understand why this would make a game bad in juxtaposition. What do "hype" and actual video game merits have in common? The answer is nothing. A game being enjoyed by many, or, "hyped" as you put it doesn't give you a reason to say it is a bad game. Actual gameplay elements, etc. are what make a game bad and unenjoyable.

Bonus post material:
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterKojondo View Post
    @Bidoof guy:
    Hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    EarthBound was never all that hard, honestly, but it's also a JRPG from the 90s.

It does have that fairly unique "rolling HP" thing.
    I found it hard (maybe I'm just terrible at JRPGS, which is a fantastic explanation), and I never got to see what the rolling HP thing you speak of was.
    Last edited by Rezzo; 4th April 2013 at 11:56 PM.
    [img]http://i37.*******.com/kaqkj7.jpg[/img]
    Nostalgic banner made by Team Brushfire (probably not even an active member anymore)
    Last.fm

@rezzo: You're right it wasn't overhyped, but it is now. And I release it has nothing to do with gameplay. I for one found nothing enjoyable about it, thus it is my opinion that it is a bad game. Not to mention It didn't take advantage of the snes's capabilitie at all.

PO/PS Username: LilPrinnyDood
    [IMG]http://i41.*******.com/2uy0nlj.png[/IMG]

Credit goes to Shadow for the banner

@rezzo: You're right it wasn't overhyped, but it is now. And I release it has nothing to do with gameplay. I for one found nothing enjoyable about it, thus it is my opinion that it is a bad game. Not to mention It didn't take advantage of the snes's capabilitie at all.
    It wouldn't be overhyped, so to speak then. The term hype is normally used to describe mass anticipation for something. Earthbound doesn't receive any hype because nobody is anticipating it anymore, although I'm more than confident the announcement of a re-release would send the masses into uncontrollable joy
    Nostalgic banner made by Team Brushfire (probably not even an active member anymore)
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Rezzo View Post
    It wouldn't be overhyped, so to speak then. The term hype is normally used to describe mass anticipation for something. Earthbound doesn't receive any hype because nobody is anticipating it anymore, although I'm more than confident the announcement of a re-release would send the masses into uncontrollable joy
    Well I see you are nothing short of an earthbound fanboy. Anyway not gonna argue about it, to me the game sucked, In almost every way besides maybe the semi original story.

Edit: Some honorable mentions of games that sucked but had some redeeming qualities are; Quest 64 and Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest lol

Well I see you are nothing short of an earthbound fanboy.
    I'm not an Earthbound fanboy, and I'm definitely not defending Earthbound. I also don't care if you think it's overrated or whatever, but my golly I won't put up with people using the word "overhyped" so incorrectly
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by MugoUrth View Post
    I agree. I kind of feel sad whenever I see the game praised.
    Well I see you are nothing short of an earthbound fanboy.

And people wonder why we don't have this thread more often.

Disagree with what exactly? regardless of how good or bad oot and/or ff7 was they still had a lasting impact on both franchises.
    If you want to judge a game based on the lasting impact it had then Call of Duty is probably the greatest game ever made, since it spawned countless brown and bloom modern war shooters.

I found it hard (maybe I'm just terrible at JRPGS, which is a fantastic explanation), and I never got to see what the rolling HP thing you speak of was.
    Nah, JRPGs of the 90's weren't exactly easy. Well, tbh if you followed the second rule of JRPGs (Grind often), if could have been easy. But most of us that were young back then didn't have the patience to grind a few levels unless we were playing Pokemon.

Also, Earthbound has some damn good music.

Quote Originally Posted by Un0va View Post

And people wonder why we don't have this thread more often.

If you want to judge a game based on the lasting impact it had then Call of Duty is probably the greatest game ever made, since it spawned countless brown and bloom modern war shooters.
    Why did you posted a Sesame Street book on the Forums?
    THE BLACK NINJA

I'm not an Earthbound fanboy, and I'm definitely not defending Earthbound. I also don't care if you think it's overrated or whatever, but my golly I won't put up with people using the word "overhyped" so incorrectly
    By golly I won't stand for it either! That is why I didn't misuse it.

Children, put your dingles away.

Disagree with what exactly? regardless of how good or bad oot and/or ff7 was they still had a lasting impact on both franchises.
    I disagree that the hype was deserved. I don't consider either to be a great game.

Personal opinions and all that. You don't like a well-beloved gaming shibboleth -- neither do I, but it's a different one in both of these cases.

I've played a million of them, so I kinda pick up the patterns easily.

The "rolling HP" refers to the counter. If you time things right, you can reduce how much damage you take, for example, because you manage to stop the counter counting down.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue
    The usual links

Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor was such a dud for me.

Spoiler:- Credits::

- please excuse my shoddy syntax for some reason I don't know.

By golly I won't stand for it either! That is why I didn't misuse it.
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...glish/overhype
    Last.fm

That definition is from a Buisness English Dictionary. As such the definition is probably being narrowed as to only apply to buisness specific definitions.

I believe definitions from other sources are less specific.
    Last edited by Zazie; 5th April 2013 at 3:36 PM.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

Typed overhyped in the google search bar. This is the result:

"That has been promoted or publicized excessively."

Now you guys can debate about the specifics of this definition.

Like Apples to Apples? Like Pokemon? The you'll love Apples to Apples: Pokestyle!

Pokemon Drama Island - Episode 4: Extreme Makeover: Pokemon Home Edition
    My popular story from FF.net has come to the forums! Joy!
    34 Pokemon come arrive to an island to take part in a reality show that could get them rich and famous! However, can they survive the harsh gauntlet of challenges up ahead?

Spoiler:- Want my Friend Code?:

Loose definition or not, you can't say a game is bad because it's overhyped. That was my point.
    Last.fm

If it's been overhyped, it's only really been overhyped by the Internet. On release, as mentioned, it didn't do so great.

Then again, giving your game the slogan "This game stinks." is a pretty good way to shoot its chances right in the foot.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue
    The usual links

Loose definition or not, you can't say a game is bad because it's overhyped. That was my point.
    lol when did I say that? I believe that wasn't even in my initicial statement of why I think it's bad.

If it's been overhyped, it's only really been overhyped by the Internet. On release, as mentioned, it didn't do so great.
    Pretty much this. It has this weird cult following that can't be explained.

Imo Pokemon black/White 2 is the worst game I have ever played >.> <.<
    Really? Well it's your opinion. It isn't my favorite Pokemon game but at least they made an attempt to shake up the formula and I think it went well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorocario View Post
    Really? Well it's your opinion. It isn't my favorite Pokemon game but at least they made an attempt to shake up the formula and I think it went well.
    lolwut not even gonna touch this one. Read on to my next post pal.

Quote Originally Posted by DJMonty View Post
    Plumbers Don't Wear Ties. It's just horrific.
    Take your damn cold sloth.

Yes, this is definitely the right answer. I don't think people could even sit through it. It's a bad game and a terrible movie, if you could call it either.
    It's clear to me. Orre, Unova and Kalos proves it. Pokemon is running out of Japan!
    3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

Then again, giving your game the slogan "This game stinks." is a pretty good way to shoot its chances right in the foot.
    That is the one thing I did like about Earthbound: It's honest. Seriously, the game is so retardedly random, and its gameplay is just so by-the-numbers. I've tried MANY times to play the game, but more often than not it was a chore to force myself to play that game.

I must say, I am 110% against this action, I mean, quoting Wikipedia, '' A world of free knowledge will be lost ''. I say screw SOPA and PIPA, and all who agrees with me, sig this! We all detest the bill and will fight for the freedom of the Internet!

This is Bidoof. Many people loathe it with their lives. If you are of the few people who love this little beaver, put this in your sig. Started by Warrior Scolipede

Random is not always a bad thing. Skylanders is random, but you like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MugoUrth View Post
    Seriously, the game is so retardedly random, and its gameplay is just so by-the-numbers. I've tried MANY times to play the game, but more often than not it was a chore to force myself to play that game.
    Seriously, the game is so retardedly random, and its gameplay is just so by-the-numbers.
    Seriously, the game is so retardedly random
    retardedly random
    Not as retardedly random as that word choice. Besides, haven't you beaten down this game to death. It's like listening to a reviewing monologue, except it's retardedly random.

Besides, Earthbound could get me a profit. Bought it for $100, could sell it for over that. That is, if I wanted to.
    It's clear to me. Orre, Unova and Kalos proves it. Pokemon is running out of Japan!
    3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

well at least i attepted to move on with my mystic quest an quest 64 lol

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast